ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Scott

Last year

and then we didn't

Also, we're 8th right now, other programs will sign more, we most likely will not
We'll finish 8th

And our last 2 years has been the highest points we've landed since 2013

I wonder why that is, hmm....

Back to back years above 279 points in recruiting where we have been between 250 and 275 in the Kelly era except 1 year.

So recruiting the last 2 years is trending up by a good margin and 24 looks to be the same as well

We'll finish 8th

And our last 2 years has been the highest points we've landed since 2013

I wonder why that is, hmm....

Back to back years above 279 points in recruiting where we have been between 250 and 275 in the Kelly era except 1 year.

So recruiting the last 2 years is trending up by a good margin and 24 looks to be the same as well
Never disagreed, I'm just not sure if our staff is good enough to coach and develop to bridge the gap that really isn't shrinking. The NIL hurts freeman more than it would hurt Kelly at ND in my opinion due to Kelly being better at development.

Do we see 1 defensive player stand out next year that hasn't done it yet. A LB? A Safety? Mills, botelho, ford, gobaira, etc? Mickey? Morrison came in ready it's pretty clear because of his father. If mickey turns into a stud i'll give all the credit in the world to mickens and staff because mickey clearly wasn't mentally ready in 22. I think Mills has the abilities to be a really good Dlinemen, does it happen. I'll give major kudos to washington if he dominates. Ford and gobaira really didn't even play, major kudos if they come in to 23 and play a good bit showing good signs of future studs.

landing hartman, an established QB that doesn't need as much development helps for 23. Rees can focus more on X's and O's (maybe he's been doing that all along).

Never disagreed, I'm just not sure if our staff is good enough to coach and develop to bridge the gap that really isn't shrinking. The NIL hurts freeman more than it would hurt Kelly at ND in my opinion due to Kelly being better at development.

Do we see 1 defensive player stand out next year that hasn't done it yet. A LB? A Safety? Mills, botelho, ford, gobaira, etc? Mickey? Morrison came in ready it's pretty clear because of his father. If mickey turns into a stud i'll give all the credit in the world to mickens and staff because mickey clearly wasn't mentally ready in 22. I think Mills has the abilities to be a really good Dlinemen, does it happen. I'll give major kudos to washington if he dominates. Ford and gobaira really didn't even play, major kudos if they come in to 23 and play a good bit showing good signs of future studs.

landing hartman, an established QB that doesn't need as much development helps for 23. Rees can focus more on X's and O's (maybe he's been doing that all along).
Saying Kelly is better at development right now is ridiculous. We have no clue how it will be under MF at this point. He could be better at it than Kelly or worse. It is an unknown.

His staff is better so it leads me to think he'll be better at development but way too early to say

Saying Kelly is better at development right now is ridiculous. We have no clue how it will be under MF at this point. He could be better at it than Kelly or worse. It is an unknown.

His staff is better so it leads me to think he'll be better at development but way too early to say
That's why i'm judging on the defense only at this point. Freeman has been here for 2 years leading the D and their development, and I haven't seen one player get better from 22 to 23 on the defense. Maybe watts due to finally settling on one position.

That's why i'm judging on the defense only at this point. Freeman has been here for 2 years leading the D and their development, and I haven't seen one player get better from 22 to 23 on the defense. Maybe watts due to finally settling on one position.
Really disagree with this. A number of players showed individual development on D: Watts, Bracy, Kiser, Mills, Ademilola, etc…. And you can’t discount Morrison simply because he was a freshman.

Reactions: Ndapolis1
Really disagree with this. A number of players showed individual development on D: Watts, Bracy, Kiser, Mills, Ademilola, etc…. And you can’t discount Morrison simply because he was a freshman.
I actually think Kiser, both ademilolas, foskey, lbs, hart, safeties, etc all slightly regressed from 21 to 22, when you would expect development. I didn't see mills get better, he just played more. I had such high hopes for him heading into 22.

I think there's a big difference between playing more and playing better. Our schedule in 22 was easier than expected.

Bracy i'll probably give ya playing nickel second half of 21 and beginning of 22, he struggled end of 22 after injury.

Lol, if you keep changing your argument, eventually you will get one correct

Lol, if you keep changing your argument, eventually you will get one correct
hmmm, no argument change. Do you think freeman should be considered responsible for the poor qb development? I think i'm being fair and just saying Defense development this year.

I actually think Kiser, both ademilolas, foskey, lbs, hart, safeties, etc all slightly regressed from 21 to 22, when you would expect development. I didn't see mills get better, he just played more. I had such high hopes for him heading into 22.

I think there's a big difference between playing more and playing better. Our schedule in 22 was easier than expected.

Bracy i'll probably give ya playing nickel second half of 21 and beginning of 22, he struggled end of 22 after injury.
Schedule in 22 was much more difficult

Reactions: Tru2Irish

We agree that Hart and Foskey regressed. Henderson and Griffith just seemed to play the same, below average overall. Watts clearly developed as did Bracy. Thought Mills showed marked improvement once moved to interior. The only regression I saw in Kiser was injury related. Also think Kollie improved, but not at the rate expected. We can probably say the same about Botelho.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
We agree that Hart and Foskey regressed. Henderson and Griffith just seemed to play the same, below average overall. Watts clearly developed as did Bracy. Thought Mills showed marked improvement once moved to interior. The only regression I saw in Kiser was injury related. Also think Kollie improved, but not at the rate expected. We can probably say the same about Botelho.
yeah, we're splitting hairs a little.

For me i'm looking for players that weren't difference makers to become difference makers. Just didn't see that.

Yes mills played better once inside, but he played similar to 2021, just a lot more snaps out of necessity. He was solid in 2021 as well. I'm just expecting dominant. Both JA's to me regressed.

I'll give ya bracy for sure, and i'm not sure on watts because of it just being a position change. He wasn't a difference maker this year, but could be in 2023.

Hart didnt regress

Hart didnt regress
I think he was a step off when given big moments, not bad, but he was almost shut down in 21.

No picks and his pass defenses almost cut in half from 21 to 22, and far less tackles.

I think he was a step off when given big moments, not bad, but he was almost shut down in 21.

No picks and his pass defenses almost cut in half from 21 to 22, and far less tackles.
No one went after him. If you look at his second level numbers he was better than last year and better than Love was when he was AA

His comp pct against and amount of yards given up were very good

He was barely challenged most of the year

No one went after him. If you look at his second level numbers he was better than last year and better than Love was when he was AA

His comp pct against and amount of yards given up were very good

He was barely challenged most of the year
I agree, i'm just stating he just didn't make the big plays the times he was challenged in big moments, he made a lot of them in 21.

If he wants to commit to nd and still visit Texas and Oklahoma ND shouldn’t let him commit… if he verbally commits without approval then nd should pull offer so all other dl recruits know he hasn’t taken their spot

He shouldn’t be allowing top recruits to dictate what they want at all times. I’m all for nd recruiting top players but not if they lie

Not saying JS has lied, just that nd needs to take commits that are committed
The key is to keep recruiting other people for the position. There is no way that commitment is a two-way street anymore and the recruits should know that. Maybe we should stop using the word commitment because it has no meaning. It should always be if you're still looking, so are we.

The key is to keep recruiting other people for the position. There is no way that commitment is a two-way street anymore and the recruits should know that. Maybe we should stop using the word commitment because it has no meaning. It should always be if you're still looking, so are we.
I don't know. I think NDs stance is you can trust us and I think ND really needs to capitalize on that. I think ND needs to not negatively recruit but to show examples of promises not kept with BS NIL, and leverage if you want to become a great player, here's how we get you there and here's how much money our great players make.

If players are just chasing that first check only, they won't become the player they could be.

Carr
Scott
Williams

Last time we signed 3 top 50 players in one class was 2013 class.

Long way to go til signing day but that would be a nice development and continuing the recruiting improvement under this staff

Carr
Scott
Williams

Last time we signed 3 top 50 players in one class was 2013 class.

Long way to go til signing day but that would be a nice development and continuing the recruiting improvement under this staff
We had Bowen and Keeley and apparently Moore at one time too. Not one signed. their decommitment would’ve been unfathomable early on.

We had Bowen and Keeley and apparently Moore at one time too. Not one signed. their decommitment would’ve been unfathomable early on.
None of their decommits seemed unfathomable.

Keeley is a Florida kid. We've had trouble landing and keeping those kids for years

Bowen was a Texas kid

Moore had NIL issues with his dad and that was pretty well known

Out of Carr, Williams, Scott....the only one I'd be concerned about down the road would be Scott

These are 3 midwest kids from our backyards. No NIL or money issues fro. The Carr crew like there was with Moore

Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac
A lot of you don't realize that Freeman is excelling in recruiting based on what the coaching staff has to offer. I believe being ranked in the top 10 in recruiting in any year is a miracle based on NIL and a good amount of successful, experienced coaches throughout the country. What he would need is a pot of real gold to offer guys like Keeley and PB when rhey waver to say look here is a wheelbarrow full of cash. That is the only thing that would make our class abnormally ranked high year over year. It will be a law of averages going forward. Freeman will win some lose some battles. I believe our best football season ranking will be top 15 with little to no chance of a playoff ranking and also the possibility of being unranked as well.

A lot of you don't realize that Freeman is excelling in recruiting based on what the coaching staff has to offer. I believe being ranked in the top 10 in recruiting in any year is a miracle based on NIL and a good amount of successful, experienced coaches throughout the country. What he would need is a pot of real gold to offer guys like Keeley and PB when rhey waver to say look here is a wheelbarrow full of cash. That is the only thing that would make our class abnormally ranked high year over year. It will be a law of averages going forward. Freeman will win some lose some battles. I believe our best football season ranking will be top 15 with little to no chance of a playoff ranking and also the possibility of being unranked as well.
Yawn....

Troll job

If we land Scott that’s 3 5 star players in one class. If they stick, it’ll be pretty elite class. Last I heard Lambert is also a ND lean so that would be 4 to 50 players. I will be very disappointed if we don’t land Ryan Wingo. Sadly that seems to be leaning against us right now.

His mother loves ND. Maybe, this will be a determined by factor even if he commits to ND it does not mean a lot now and days. The bag man usually does not appear until after a recruits senior year unless you are exceptional. Keon was happy with ND, but after his ranking soared than some thing happened. Guess what happened. Either way nobody cares about verbals any more. It is a matter of sincere interest.
If we land Scott that’s 3 5 star players in one class. If they stick, it’ll be pretty elite class. Last I heard Lambert is also a ND lean so that would be 4 to 50 players. I will be very disappointed if we don’t land Ryan Wingo. Sadly that seems to be leaning against us right now.
Wings wants a a piece of the OSU rushes of gold, but maybe ND can convince him immediate playing time was a big advantage. OSU just signed two five star guys this cycle.

There is zero argument that bracy got much better. I am a self confessed bracy hater. Always have been. He balled out this year. In the slot he was a man child and he covered outside much better this year than in the past when called on to do so.

Same with Xavier Watts. His ball skills aren't great but his coverage, awareness and physicality all improved greatly this year.

The dline was a let down, but I expected that. We have been getting too small in that room and we're undersized before the midseason transfer .. if Scott commits that's a huge get. He's keon Keeley level attention grabber for other recruits.

Reactions: Telx1
hmmm, no argument change. Do you think freeman should be considered responsible for the poor qb development? I think i'm being fair and just saying Defense development this year.
That lies on Rees shoulders since ND doesn't have QB coach.

I admit I am losing faith in NDs ability to land a top 5 class. Without it I see nearly no chance we win a title. I’ve been more positive acting about the freeman hire bc what’s being negative going to accomplish. I so hope we can land a top 5 class in 2024. We must do so. He was hired to do that. He certainly wasn’t hired based on experience or his immaculate development of talent. i preferred elite coaching and development with good recruiting over status quo recruiting mixed with inexperienced coaching. Regardless of the politics at play in his hiring and my distaste for the entire thing, he is our coach and I’m hoping he will do what he was hired to do. Recruit us to a title. 2023 was not good enough overall.
BK didn’t develop anybody, he hired staff to do that. Marcus can elevate recruiting and continue to lean on staff/new hires to develop.

BK didn’t develop anybody, he hired staff to do that. Marcus can elevate recruiting and continue to lean on staff/new hires to develop.
What…. Not only did he develop players he developed a number of staff and really got the program in a healthy consistent spot

He was not the one to take us to the promise land, hopefully freeman is

Reactions: Telx1
Developed staff?????that’s funny. Alexander, polian , Quinn???
Of course he had some bad hires, you didn’t mention bvg, his worst one. Nd wasn’t even close to competing for a title from 95-2010, took kelly 3 years to go from not even close to actually in the championship game. He also changed the football culture at nd. The next step is next level talent and more modern coaching. Freeman has the recruiting part doing very well, building staff and coaching/development tbd. So far not super impressed especially with dline and lb coaching/development

Of course he had some bad hires, you didn’t mention bvg, his worst one. Nd wasn’t even close to competing for a title from 95-2010, took kelly 3 years to go from not even close to actually in the championship game. He also changed the football culture at nd. The next step is next level talent and more modern coaching. Freeman has the recruiting part doing very well, building staff and coaching/development tbd. So far not super impressed especially with dline and lb coaching/development
How about OL,RB, CB. You're cherry picking after 1 year with none of his own players except the freshman

A lot is determined by schemes. How often did the DC blitz compared to Freeman or even Lea when they were in those positions? Griffith never panned out like he should have. Is that on coaches or Griffith's talent or heart to improve? Mills is an interior lineman not a DE. I wish he were but other than a couple games he didn't show improvement there. Maybe they will finally unleash Botelho because I saw potential in his aggressiveness. He got fooled a few times but he has the talent and speed. Liafau is a guy who is an enigma. He seems to lunge and grab face masks more than pure tackling. He gets himself blocked by linemen when he should be fast enough to shoot gaps. I hope he improves. Bertrand cannot cover in 20 yard passing radius, gets burned too often by quicker wrs. Kiser shows up and sometimes does pretty good things. ND needs Kollie,Ziegler and Sneed to adapt at a faster pace. Ziegler , we really haven't seen but he has the talent. X has benefitted by changing to safety. I don't know if Hart benefitted from Hamilton being out there over a year ago but he certainly played average if not below this past season. I hope Golden allows these players to play faster with less playbook schemes. They looked off kilter the first part of last season. This season should tell us if Washington can coach them up or not. If not, a change has to take place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT