ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Scott

A lot is determined by schemes. How often did the DC blitz compared to Freeman or even Lea when they were in those positions? Griffith never panned out like he should have. Is that on coaches or Griffith's talent or heart to improve? Mills is an interior lineman not a DE. I wish he were but other than a couple games he didn't show improvement there. Maybe they will finally unleash Botelho because I saw potential in his aggressiveness. He got fooled a few times but he has the talent and speed. Liafau is a guy who is an enigma. He seems to lunge and grab face masks more than pure tackling. He gets himself blocked by linemen when he should be fast enough to shoot gaps. I hope he improves. Bertrand cannot cover in 20 yard passing radius, gets burned too often by quicker wrs. Kiser shows up and sometimes does pretty good things. ND needs Kollie,Ziegler and Sneed to adapt at a faster pace. Ziegler , we really haven't seen but he has the talent. X has benefitted by changing to safety. I don't know if Hart benefitted from Hamilton being out there over a year ago but he certainly played average if not below this past season. I hope Golden allows these players to play faster with less playbook schemes. They looked off kilter the first part of last season. This season should tell us if Washington can coach them up or not. If not, a change has to take place.
Agree with nearly everything stated. I had high hopes for Griffith as well, but coaching screwed him up initially by giving into his desire to play corner, instead of safety where he belonged. Some guys just don’t have good cover instincts, and that’s Griffith. He played pretty well against the run, just poor cover instincts, not coaching.
I think liafau says more than we want to believe as to our younger linebackers. He had more snaps than any other linebacker, and maybe any other defensive player, and yet he was a disaster in my opinion. Often out of position, seemed to be easily blocked, poor tackling, just an everready energy bunny playing out of control. I like to think we’ll see Kollie and Snead and Ziegler and Junior and Burnham play major snaps this next season, but afraid we’ll value experience over potential.

Reactions: HDK and Tru2Irish
Agree with nearly everything stated. I had high hopes for Griffith as well, but coaching screwed him up initially by giving into his desire to play corner, instead of safety where he belonged. Some guys just don’t have good cover instincts, and that’s Griffith. He played pretty well against the run, just poor cover instincts, not coaching.
I think liafau says more than we want to believe as to our younger linebackers. He had more snaps than any other linebacker, and maybe any other defensive player, and yet he was a disaster in my opinion. Often out of position, seemed to be easily blocked, poor tackling, just an everready energy bunny playing out of control. I like to think we’ll see Kollie and Snead and Ziegler and Junior and Burnham play major snaps this next season, but afraid we’ll value experience over potential.
I've always valued your input on all things ND football wise. You and a handful of others have more scope on schemes and players than most. I too, want to see some younger talent get reps early against teams. This schedule should provide that. I think some are being wasted on sidelines and some need to be utilized on special teams but I'm not gonna say anything negative about Mason except get a speedier punt returner this season.

Reactions: HDK and Telx1
I hope the staff approaches Scott’s recruitment differently than Keeley and Bowen. If you’re in you’re in. No visits, no doubting, no bs. Be a man. Otherwise don’t commit. We had at least 6 decommitment in 2023. Rhett, Moore, the OL, Edwards, P Bowen, Keeley. All the composite 5 stars decomitted. Of course you don’t want to turn away a commitment from a guy like Scott but the begging and pleading Freeman and staff did with Bowen was embarrassing. There were people telling him not to go to the in home visit based on the level of disrespect he was showing and how desperate it makes ND appear. He went anyway. Then he flipped to Oregon publicly placing us third. Fact is 6 is too many. Scott’s from Chicago, but Swain was from our backyard too. If you’re in you’re in. Otherwise kick rocks.

Reactions: baron100
I hope the staff approaches Scott’s recruitment differently than Keeley and Bowen. If you’re in you’re in. No visits, no doubting, no bs. Be a man. Otherwise don’t commit. We had at least 6 decommitment in 2023. Rhett, Moore, the OL, Edwards, P Bowen, Keeley. All the composite 5 stars decomitted. Of course you don’t want to turn away a commitment from a guy like Scott but the begging and pleading Freeman and staff did with Bowen was embarrassing. There were people telling him not to go to the in home visit based on the level of disrespect he was showing and how desperate it makes ND appear. He went anyway. Then he flipped to Oregon publicly placing us third. Fact is 6 is too many. Scott’s from Chicago, but Swain was from our backyard too. If you’re in you’re in. Otherwise kick rocks.
Rhett has nothing to do with the rest. There was a very mutual parting there.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Scott. I just think the staff needs to approach it as if you’re looking we are looking. ND is a blue blood with a lot to offer. Not one kid in our top 10 class needed to be begged to come to ND. Convincing? Sure. Shown persistent love? Yes. Not begged. Not once has begging or pleading worked for poor character kids like Bowen. Not once. Scott seems like a fit at ND so I’m less concerned. Right down the road. Catholic school. Knows what he likes about ND over Michigan, etc. But the instant he wants to see ATM, Colorado, Georgia I am recruiting his replacement and telling him to mutually get lost. I hope he approaches things like Williams and Carr, recruiting for the D and leaving little to no doubt.

Last edited:
I for one am glad he changed it closer to his birthday. He will know for sure that ND is for him or not. Pretty sure by all his language that ND is the one. It seems so funny when players commit and move up in ranks- the OSU,Georgia, Bama, and Texas A&M's suddenly come out of the woodwork to recruit these kids when they had a whole year beforehand to offer. ND has been there for Scott letting him know they truly want him for a while now.

Reactions: Telx1
I for one am glad he changed it closer to his birthday. He will know for sure that ND is for him or not. Pretty sure by all his language that ND is the one. It seems so funny when players commit and move up in ranks- the OSU,Georgia, Bama, and Texas A&M's suddenly come out of the woodwork to recruit these kids when they had a whole year beforehand to offer. ND has been there for Scott letting him know they truly want him for a while now.
ND seems to evaluate talent a little better than the rest. We were early on Keeley and P Bowen. We were early with Dylan Edwards. We were early on Cam Williams. All of them skyrocketed later and were offered later. Lazy is the word I would use for Bama and Georgia's recruiting. They simply do not have to try and can swoop in whenever they want. Most of the kids are expendable to them and they don't need to establish much of a relationship. Bama has two QB's in '23 and Sayin in '24. It's silly how many transfers out they're going to have. One thing kids need to remember is if you go to ND you can transfer literally anywhere. You cannot transfer into ND unless you're at a good school and even then you better have sterling grades and take classes that ND actually offers. .

I would love to see ND start getting the elite recruits from Chicago Catholic schools again, but that may be living in the past. Historically the Chicago Catholic schools have been a pipeline to ND, but that has certainly changed over the past couple of decades. Part of the issue is that youth football in the north and midwest (the rust belt states) has seen decreasing participation (+20% according to a Forbes article a couple of years ago) for a long time now. Compounding that problem, budgets for HS football in Illinois were drastically cut when the pandemic hit us. By contrast, participation in youth football has increased (or at least stayed level) in much of the south and southeast. The Midwest is simply not the fertile recruiting ground it was decades ago. When we see a 5* recruit like Justin Scott come out of the Chicago Catholic League, it is important that ND is in the game to land him. In my memory the only 5* star recruit that has come out of Chicago area in the past couple of decades was Martez Wilson, and he ended up at Illinois.

Of course, Cole Kmet was a nice recruit from the Chicago area.

That was obviously posted before those recent developments.
No it's not. He's a five star. If he commits to ND on the 31st do you think other schools will stop recruiting him? The commitment in January means nothing other than Notre Dame is the front runner.

He's going to be talked into taking visits and he's going to be approached with nil deals. It's just the way it is.

The timing of his visits do not matter. He's been to Notre Dame before he lives a couple of hours away.

The visit is to sell his parents and to get them on board with the 30 yr. plan.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Of course he had some bad hires, you didn’t mention bvg, his worst one. Nd wasn’t even close to competing for a title from 95-2010, took kelly 3 years to go from not even close to actually in the championship game. He also changed the football culture at nd. The next step is next level talent and more modern coaching. Freeman has the recruiting part doing very well, building staff and coaching/development tbd. So far not super impressed especially with dline and lb coaching/development
He wasn’t close to winning a national championship..tell me how many top 10 wins again in 12 years? MF matched BKs Top 5 Win total in year 1. BK weathered some awful schedules and got waxed by teams in the playoffs. Alabama 42-14, Clemson 30-3, Alabama 31-14.

ND seems to evaluate talent a little better than the rest. We were early on Keeley and P Bowen. We were early with Dylan Edwards. We were early on Cam Williams. All of them skyrocketed later and were offered later. Lazy is the word I would use for Bama and Georgia's recruiting. They simply do not have to try and can swoop in whenever they want. Most of the kids are expendable to them and they don't need to establish much of a relationship. Bama has two QB's in '23 and Sayin in '24. It's silly how many transfers out they're going to have. One thing kids need to remember is if you go to ND you can transfer literally anywhere. You cannot transfer into ND unless you're at a good school and even then you better have sterling grades and take classes that ND actually offers. .
Edwards only moved up as others committed to generate clicks. He's small for p5 and no real position. Nd wasn't in early. He was backup once they new limar was looking.

Some schools cherry pick late and that is because they force players out or wait until seeing senior films to push for them.

Notre Dame believes in identifying kids early and building a family relationship to get them to honor their early commitment.just a different strategy.

The fact is the best kids in nds class will be chased after late....period. they may not be the highest ranked now, but after their senior film they will move up in rankings...esp if still taking visits. That generates interest and clicks...

No you said you weren't impressed with the staff and mentioned the ones you weren't impressed with. Theres more than 2 coaches on the staff

All you do is negative
Oh really. I didn’t say freeman was doing good recruiting and development was tbd but so far I’m not impressed with dl and lbs?

He wasn’t close to winning a national championship..tell me how many top 10 wins again in 12 years? MF matched BKs Top 5 Win total in year 1. BK weathered some awful schedules and got waxed by teams in the playoffs. Alabama 42-14, Clemson 30-3, Alabama 31-14.
Clemson sucked this year so just stop

Oh really. I didn’t say freeman was doing good recruiting and development was tbd but so far I’m not impressed with dl and lbs?
Wow Freeman is doing good on recruiting. Everyone knows that. That as far as you'll go. Everything else is negative

You are so cool. Did you change your underwear yet?

Reactions: Golson5
I actually think Kiser, both ademilolas, foskey, lbs, hart, safeties, etc all slightly regressed from 21 to 22, when you would expect development. I didn't see mills get better, he just played more. I had such high hopes for him heading into 22.

I think there's a big difference between playing more and playing better. Our schedule in 22 was easier than expected.

Bracy i'll probably give ya playing nickel second half of 21 and beginning of 22, he struggled end of 22 after injury.
Wtf are you watching?

Reactions: BGI User 756
after this last year I’m not getting excited about any “ commits” until December. Recruiting has always been a story of highs followed by lows but with todays landscape only a true masochist places value on a commit this far out. Glad to hear Scott likes us though.

Reactions: mirer03
after this last year I’m not getting excited about any “ commits” until December. Recruiting has always been a story of highs followed by lows but with todays landscape only a true masochist places value on a commit this far out. Glad to hear Scott likes us though.
Yep. We lost 6. I’m more confident this year since they’re Midwest kids, but we shall see.

Justin Scott is delaying his commitment. Looks like Irish will have to wait.....in line....at the bank..
Delays commitment to nd probably because nd staff said no visits while committed and Scott said yeah I’m taking more visits…. If my assumption is correct it’s right move on both accounts but sucks we probably don’t land him in the end

9 and 4 and 3 top 10 teams and 5 top 25 is not easy. Hardest schedule since 17 and that year we went 10 and 3
Actually every sos metric shows this year as easiest schedule since 2014

So again; easy schedule

Easy schedule to go 10-2 but difficult to go 12-0, but that’s not how sos is measured by anyone that has a clue

Actually every sos metric shows this year as easiest schedule since 2014

So again; easy schedule

Easy schedule to go 10-2 but difficult to go 12-0, but that’s not how sos is measured by anyone that has a clue
Toughest schedule since 17

ADVERTISEMENT