Sep 9, 2013
The NFL minimum salary is
$795,000 1st year
$870,000 2nd year
$940,000 3rd year.

Riley Leonard makes $1,100,000
Yep...
$1.1 million
Or 305k more than a real professional at the league minimum...

Puts a real nice perspective on the NIL debacle.

Absurdity is understating!

Reactions: BGI User 756
$795,000 1st year
$870,000 2nd year
$940,000 3rd year.

Yep...
$1.1 million

Are you saying that no 1st year NFL QB receives more than 795k in compensation ? If so you are woefully uninformed on the NFL compensation structure. It's no more than cherry picking a portion of an equation to support your narrative. Leonard is receiving what the free market will bear. No different than anyone else. Not sure why anyone is bothered by it.

Last edited:
$795,000 1st year
$870,000 2nd year
$940,000 3rd year.

Yep...
$1.1 million

I get your point, but don't we have to compare his salary to starting QB's in the NFL?

Apples to apples..

$795,000 1st year
$870,000 2nd year
$940,000 3rd year.

Yep...
$1.1 million

Don't watch.

Reactions: echowaker
I get your point, but don't we have to compare his salary to starting QB's in the NFL?

Apples to apples..
No because salary is just a part of the compensation packages in the NFL. Signing bonuses, escalator clauses, PBP money and other bonuses all factor in.

Last edited:
ND is not paying the athletes. Boosters are, masked as companies who use their NIL. But that’s the rules. It’s like anything these days. If you don’t think UGA isn’t paying their guys MILLIONS your have not been watching the SEC since Cam arrived.

Sorry if you don't understand.
Let's walk through this.

I posted that NFL QB's make more that RL and we should compare his salary not to all NFL players, but to starting NFL QB's. In which case RL makes nowhere near what an NFL QB makes.

You argued that no, NFL QB's also make more money with sponsorships and other forms of payment. Claiming:
AKSHULLY, NFL QB's make more than RL because there are additional sources of income.

You believe that is an argument. I don't know what to tell you.

Are you saying that no 1st year NFL QB receives more than 795k in compensation ? If so you are woefully uninformed on the NFL compensation structure. It's no more than cherry picking a portion of an equation to support your narrative. Leonard is receiving what the free market will bear. No different than anyone else. Not sure why anyone is bothered by it.
Right, he could be receiving 100 trillion dollars if that's what ND wanted to pay. Per play. He could have as his salary, his NIL deal, every penny of legal currency on earth, and they shut down the economy completely and there's just one person with money, and every other single person is penniless. And new religions spring up around RL's hoped for largesse as everyone else is starving and destitute. That's how irrelevant what an NFL player makes in comparison. It's whatever the market will bear.

Let's walk through this.

I posted that NFL QB's make more that RL and we should compare his salary not to all NFL players, but to starting NFL QB's. In which case RL makes nowhere near what an NFL QB makes.

You argued that no, NFL QB's also make more money with sponsorships and other forms of payment. Claiming:
AKSHULLY, NFL QB's make more than RL because there are additional sources of income.

You believe that is an argument. I don't know what to tell you.
Define salary ? Yes based solely on the salary Caleb Williams makes which is the minimum Leonard makes more. My point to the OP that you can't just take that minimum number when the NFL structure is much more involved.
Right, he could be receiving 100 trillion dollars if that's what ND wanted to pay. Per play. He could have as his salary, his NIL deal, every penny of legal currency on earth, and they shut down the economy completely and there's just one person with money, and every other single person is penniless. And new religions spring up around RL's hoped for largesse as everyone else is starving and destitute. That's how irrelevant what an NFL player makes in comparison. It's whatever the market will bear.
Correct.

Define salary ? Yes based solely on the salary Caleb Williams makes which is the minimum Leonard makes more. My point to the OP that you can't just take that minimum number when the NFL structure is much more involved.
Dude, what are you talking about?

Caleb Williams signed his four-year rookie contract, worth $39.4 million fully guaranteed, on July 17, 2024.

Correct.
Yeah, and if they, if fans want a salary cap, or some other suitable payment structure then embrace full revenue sharing and work out a tidy CBA everyone can agree on. And then we're good. And they can tie up every loose end and bone of contention of the current status quo by negotiating it out. And no more 'NIL' as such. Just the regular marketing opportunities any pro athlete avails himself of.

ND is not paying the athletes. Boosters are, masked as companies who use their NIL. But that’s the rules. It’s like anything these days. If you don’t think UGA isn’t paying their guys MILLIONS your have not been watching the SEC since Cam arrived.
I didn't suggest our beloved was paying him and yes it's obviously going on all across the land.
It's simply a reminder how ridiculous the NIL is.
I use the Riley example as board members are seeing first hand just how bad of a passer he is.
In other words he's not a good QB.
We aren't talking about great or even really good like status.
He's a lousy passer.

There might have been a QB on the field Saturday night with possible Sunday playing in the future. It wasn't Riley.
Tyler Shough is a much better passer than Riley.
Shough's last reported NIL deals says $69,000.
Yep...$69,000 vs. Riley's 1.1 million

The NIL nonsense was broken before it even started.

To add....
Was it a coincidence the NIL started one year after the NFL/NFLPA signed their CBA in 2020?
That's a 10 year agreement so there's not much the NFLPA can do today but in 2030 you better believe they will be arguing the absurdity of many
"college players" making seven figures who will never sniff a Sunday snap meanwhile first year real professionals, are making 300k less.

It will get even worse for the NFLPA if the wild west continues...and it will

To add....
Was it a coincidence the NIL started one year after the NFL/NFLPA signed their CBA in 2020?
That's a 10 year agreement so there's not much the NFLPA can do today but in 2030 you better believe they will be arguing the absurdity of many
"college players" making seven figures who will never sniff a Sunday snap meanwhile first year real professionals, are making 300k less.

It will get even worse for the NFLPA if the wild west continues...and it will
What's the solution though brother? The old system was wrong, the schools were cleaning up on the backs of these players. Some of them go on to NFL and make money, but most don't.

Remember that QB at Nebraska that won the NC and maybe even the Heisman? He was an option guy that had no chance in pro football. Dudes probably driving Uber now. So, that ain't right.

What's the solution?

What's the solution though brother? The old system was wrong, the schools were cleaning up on the backs of these players. Some of them go on to NFL and make money, but most don't.

Remember that QB at Nebraska that won the NC and maybe even the Heisman? He was an option guy that had no chance in pro football. Dudes probably driving Uber now. So, that ain't right.

What's the solution?
Well for one, the kids should use their 4 to 5 years of free education and be able to get a good job after college with zero debt

What's the solution?
You said it yourself. He had no chance in pro football. So he was given 4-5 years of free education and housing in order to help the football program win games. Plenty of people have been and are willing to help football programs win games for free. It’s a nice deal for someone who had no chance of going pro.

It’s not Nebraska’s fault if he’s driving Uber. Use your education to make more money. No debt. Very limited risk. I think that goes unmentioned too often. If it doesn’t work out, he’s not saddled with debt and working a low paying job trying to figure out how he’s going to afford his student loans and a roof over his head.

Edit: I’m in favor of some sort of revenue sharing and NIL. I just think a free education for playing a game is a darn good deal.

You said it yourself. He had no chance in pro football. So he was given 4-5 years of free education and housing in order to help the football program win games. Plenty of people have been and are willing to help football programs win games for free. It’s a nice deal for someone who had no chance of going pro.

It’s not Nebraska’s fault if he’s driving Uber. Use your education to make more money. No debt. Very limited risk. I think that goes unmentioned too often. If it doesn’t work out, he’s not saddled with debt and working a low paying job trying to figure out how he’s going to afford his student loans and a roof over his head.

Edit: I’m in favor of some sort of revenue sharing and NIL. I just think a free education for playing a game is a darn good deal.
There's a lot of risk. There's physical problems, some surface years after playing. I agree the free education is great, but not enough as the schools make millions.

BTW, Pell grants make state college free for all comers. Requirements for awards are minimal. No risk of physical or CTE problems developing later on...

There's a lot of risk. There's physical problems, some surface years after playing. I agree the free education is great, but not enough as the schools make millions.

BTW, Pell grants make state college free for all comers. Requirements for awards are minimal. No risk of physical or CTE problems developing later on...
Pell grants make school 100% free? I’m seeing $7,395 as a maximum in an article for 2024. Do you have a link?

Yes, there are potential physical problems just like high school and the FCS to junior college levels. Very limited to no financial risk for the FBS player. If the player doesn’t want the risk of injury, then don’t play. The school takes a risk on a player that they bring in from high school. They don’t know what they’re getting. It’s all a projection yet he still gets to go to school for free for four years at least at some schools. If the player decides not to play in college, then someone else is going to take his place. The market dictates that the student-athlete is replaceable.

Again, I’d like to some money put in the pockets of the players from the NCAA and schools. Can Akron afford to do this? Don’t the players already get a stipend? How much should they get?

Pell grants make school 100% free? I’m seeing $7,395 as a maximum in an article for 2024. Do you have a link?

Yes, there are potential physical problems just like high school and the FCS to junior college levels. Very limited to no financial risk for the FBS player. If the player doesn’t want the risk of injury, then don’t play. The school takes a risk on a player that they bring in from high school. They don’t know what they’re getting. It’s all a projection yet he still gets to go to school for free for four years at least at some schools. If the player decides not to play in college, then someone else is going to take his place. The market dictates that the student-athlete is replaceable.

Again, I’d like to some money put in the pockets of the players from the NCAA and schools. Can Akron afford to do this? Don’t the players already get a stipend? How much should they get?
California State University, Fullerton/Undergraduate tuition and fees
Local tuition 7,007 USD

100%

I agree, there needs to be something in the pockets of the players. I don't know what the amount should be but I agree that the solution might be in revenue sharing..

Local tuition 7,007 USD

100%

I agree, there needs to be something in the pockets of the players. I don't know what the amount should be but I agree that the solution might be in revenue sharing..
$7,007 for the whole year? That’s one school. What about Michigan or USC?

Good god not this again. Surely you realize what you're saying. Of course you do, nobody's that naive or stupid. That colleges are doing these players a favor by giving them scholarships. They could charge them full tuition but out of the goodness of their hearts they don't. They're so gracious and generous. I swear to god you sound like an actual plantation owner when you say shit like that. Straight up literally. Like when some yankee cousin from up north comes to visit, and makes genteel protests against the horrors of slavery at the dining room table, they reply with 'We feed them and clothe them, on this plantation they're treated rather well. I don't need to tell what we could do to them....

And Eric Crouch is not a Uber driver. For F's sake.

$7,007 for the whole year? That’s one school. What about Michigan or USC?
Michigan is part of the University system of that state. Like UCLA or Cal in California. It's roughly 2X the cost of state college.

USC is like ND, a private school. Those tuitions are between 50-60k per year.

Now, before you say "he's getting ND or USC education for free which is much more valuable." I would caution that I could graduate with a CS degree from San Jose State, you can graduate with a double major of psychology and philosophy, and I would triple your salary on graduation and the gap would only widen as our careers progress. You might have someone in your alumni network give you a job as a museum curator or library director. I would lead an incredible career in CS in the valley and you would spend 30 years watching the paint fade on the walls of the library.

edit: In the university system, you don't necessarily get what you pay for.

Local tuition 7,007 USD

100%

I love how you guys talk as if you're deciding the fate of CFB. And avidly fantasizing about exploiting athletes. Living vicariously through the fantasy of continuing to exploit them. And the gentle thrill of socioeconomically condescending to these gladiatorial badasses, who you'll be so kind as to kick down a few bucks to, so they don't have to be reduced to cab driving to get by, after they're done playing the sport that gives you brain damage. But hey, they knew what they signed up for....

Michigan is part of the University system of that state. Like UCLA or Cal in California. It's roughly 2X the cost of state college.

USC is like ND, a private school. Those tuitions are between 50-60k per year.

Now, before you say "he's getting ND or USC education for free which is much more valuable." I would caution that I could graduate with a CS degree from San Jose State, you can graduate with a double major of psychology and philosophy, and I would triple your salary on graduation and the gap would only widen as our careers progress. You might have someone in your alumni network give you a job as a museum curator or library director. I would lead an incredible career in CS in the valley and you would spend 30 years watching the paint fade on the walls of the library.

edit: In the university system, you don't necessarily get what you pay for.
Couldn’t the prospective student go to a school and get a CS degree and skip playing football?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT