ADVERTISEMENT

Julian Love #17 best prospect on Mel Kiper's latest big board

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
Mel Kiper is a pretty big ND homer, but he does have a ton of contacts/relationships with NFL executives and scouts from around the league. If he thinks Love is a top 20 NFL prospect now then I'm sure he's not the only one viewing him this way. This is great news.

With the combination of Lea's system/defense and with the development of Tillery and Love into potential 1st round draft picks, ND should be able to clean up on some big time prospects on the defensive side of the ball down the stretch in this class and next.

i

17. Julian Love, CB, Notre Dame

Height: 5-11 | Weight: 193 | Previously: NR

The Fighting Irish are undefeated and playing extremely well, and Love is developing into a shutdown corner. He has broken up 11 passes this season, and he had an interception and a 42-yard fumble return for a touchdown in the win at Virginia Tech. Check it out in the clip above. Love had three picks in 2017, when he started every game as a sophomore.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/i...kiper-big-board-ranking-top-25-grades-october (link is to premium ESPN+ content)

And here's the overall top 5 NFL prospects according to Kiper's latest big board for those who are interested:
  • 2019 combine.
Note: One asterisk denotes the player is a junior, and two asterisks denote the player is a redshirt sophomore in 2018.

i

1. Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State*
Height: 6-foot-4 | Weight: 263 pounds | Previously: 1

I don't expect Bosa's core muscle injury to affect his draft stock. It's not an injury with lasting long-term effects. I would like to see him on the field soon -- the Buckeyes' defensive line isn't the same without him. He's the Class of 2019's best edge rusher, and it's not close. He is advanced for his age in his technique -- you can probably thank his brother, Joey, and dad, John, both former first-round picks -- and he hasn't put up huge numbers because of Ohio State's talented defensive line rotation. He has four sacks in the three games after picking up eight in 2017.

i

2. Ed
Oliver
, DT, Houston*

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 292 | Previously: 2

On tape,

Oliver
is just relentless. He never quits. He's the best interior pass-rusher in this class, though he's not quite Aaron Donald . Those are the comps
Oliver
is going to get until April, but that's not fair to him at this point. He has room to grow in his technique.
Oliver
uses a quick first step to wreck plays before they can even begin -- he had 39 tackles for loss in his first two seasons, and he has 6.5 this season.

i

3. Devin
White
, LB, LSU*

Height: 6-1 | Weight: 240 | Previously: 3

White
had 133 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks and an interception during a spectacular breakout 2017 season. He has dominated this season, too, with 53 tackles, including 6.5 for loss so far. I love his read-and-react ability, and when I went back and watched the 2017 LSU tape, he was all over the field.
White
is not a true pass-rusher, but he could play outside or inside linebacker at the next level. He has some versatility and is extremely athletic.

i

4. Andraez "Greedy"
Williams
, CB, LSU**

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 184 | Previously: 7

Williams
burst onto the scene in 2017, picking off six passes as a redshirt freshman and emerging as one of the best defensive backs in college football. He has two picks this season, including one in the Tigers' upset over Auburn.
Williams
has great ball skills and a long, lean frame, and he sticks to wide receivers. The third-year sophomore has top-five talent if he leaves school early.

i

5. Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson*
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 265 | Previously: 4

I thought Ferrell could have been a first-round pick in the 2018 draft, when he was a third-year sophomore. He's that good. He had 9.5 sacks last season and is up to six in six games this season. He terrorized Texas A&M and Georgia Southern with two sacks apiece and multiple pressures. Clemson has one of the most talented defensive lines I've ever seen in college football, and Ferrell is the top prospect.

Last edited:
He's a blue-chipper and the difference between the 2012 D and this one... Our D backs are so much better. And depth along the D line.

And Balis is a real significant difference. ND would have half the team on injury by game 6. The other half would be as soft as pillsbury dough boys.

Reactions: IrishMike409
He leads the nation by a significant margin in pass breaks up since the beginning of last season. He has 32 PBUs in the past 19 games (the first game of last year), and is 2nd nationally this year with 11, one behind our old buddy Paulson Adebo at Stanford. How crazy is it to think those two could be lined up opposite each other!?

Julian has developed into a 1st team All American, as long as he stays healthy. A lock to be a 1st rounder as well. Some people feel that he's going to run slow in the 40 at the combine, but I promise you that's not happening. He was a 4.6 kid coming out of high school. He probably runs in the mid to high 4.5's right now. He'll do what all kids do that have one perceived weakness leading up to the combine. They'll spend months training with experts that can help improve that "weakness". Love will spend a ton of time with track guys that will work on what the majority of football players lack when it comes to running fast 40 times... A much better start. Top end speed can only improve so much, but that start technique and how you get off the line makes all the difference when you're trying to shave the tenth off your time that gets you into the first round.

My prediction is that after 3-4 months of practice, Julian will go to the NFL combine and run a sub 4.55 time. Somewhere in the 4.52 range. The NFL will say "yep" that's plenty good enough when you combine his character and his overall game.

He leads the nation by a significant margin in pass breaks up since the beginning of last season. He has 32 PBUs in the past 19 games (the first game of last year), and is 2nd nationally this year with 11, one behind our old buddy Paulson Adebo at Stanford. How crazy is it to think those two could be lined up opposite each other!?

Julian has developed into a 1st team All American, as long as he stays healthy. A lock to be a 1st rounder as well. Some people feel that he's going to run slow in the 40 at the combine, but I promise you that's not happening. He was a 4.6 kid coming out of high school. He probably runs in the mid to high 4.5's right now. He'll do what all kids do that have one perceived weakness leading up to the combine. They'll spend months training with experts that can help improve that "weakness". Love will spend a ton of time with track guys that will work on what the majority of football players lack when it comes to running fast 40 times... A much better start. Top end speed can only improve so much, but that start technique and how you get off the line makes all the difference when you're trying to shave the tenth off your time that gets you into the first round.

My prediction is that after 3-4 months of practice, Julian will go to the NFL combine and run a sub 4.55 time. Somewhere in the 4.52 range. The NFL will say "yep" that's plenty good enough when you combine his character and his overall game.
I never reply to these posts but I had to. Julian ran a 4.48 in his combine testing. Just saying!!!!

Linebackers too, teo was very good, the others adequate at best.

Danny Spond was great. One of the best pass coverage linebackers we’ve had. Terrible that he couldn’t stay concussion free. Fox (#48) was ok but not great.

Last edited:
Danny Spond was great. One of the pass coverage linebackers we’ve had. Terrible that he couldn’t stay concussion free. Fox (#48) was ok but not great.
fox and calabrese were pedestrian at best. Manti covered up a lot of their warts.

you have your facts incorrect but okay. Have a nice day!

If Julian tested at 4.48 in ND's off season combine test, that's great for him. My guess was 4.55, but 4.48 doesn't seem out of the round of possibility at all. It's incredibly hard to judge how a guy is going to run in a track setting when you're watching him pedal, flip his hips and run in game setting. There just isn't a reference.

If you have some inside info that he ran 4.48, I wouldn't have an issue believing you. If he's a good starter out of the blocks, that's totally reasonable to believe. Maybe I'll have to rethink my 4.52 guess at the combine. Maybe he'll run 4.45 and blow away my expectations for him.

A lot of people thought Mike Floyd was a high 4.5 guy because of the way he ran. He went to combine and ran in the 4.4's and that elevated him into a top 20 NFL Draft pick.

40 time is always a "best guess" type of thing until you see the kid's numbers register...

I coached a wide receiver who came to camp as a freshman at 6'3.5, 208lbs. Our head coach had never seen him play in person and had very little film on because he had only played 1 year of high school football. His form off the line was a bit of a mess, but he was a 30+ ppg basketball player who played forward in high school and was too short to do so at the next level. He didn't have the range to play guard either, so it became apparent that if he was going to be a college athlete it was going to be in football. We really needed a deep threat in that class so my head coach asked me "Can Carter run?"... I said "I don't think he's a blazer, but he's he has a long stride and always seems to be behind coverage." He asked "What do you think he runs? I said I wouldn't be shocked if he tested in the low 4.5's after a summer of preparation for camp"... The coach didn't believe me. He thought from the little film he saw that Carter was going to be a 4.6 kid at best and would have to be a big, possession guy at the next level, which is why he was hesitant to offer him (with one of our last scholarships to offer) in the first place.

Carter showed up to camp and promptly ran 4.46 (fastest player on our team), exceeded all of our expectations and is now a senior having an all conference season, with a 5th year of eligibility of ahead of him....

Sometimes you have an idea that about a kid and you have a feeling that he's faster than people give him credit for, but even when you're right, it can be really hard to guess exactly how fast a kid is.

And only Teo was above average as a college player.

Don’t agree.

Teo was drafted
Shembo was drafted
Spond played very well when concussion free
Fox was basically average though

Calabrese was only EVER brought in for obvious run downs

That’s a solid group that almost every other team would love to have

And only Teo was above average as a college player.

I liked Prince Shembo as 3-4 standup LB/DE... He was a step slow at times, but he was really strong, set the edge well and developed into a really nice pass rusher in 2012.

In retrospect, I think Bob Diaco taught scheme really well and in 2012 he had the size and to do what he wanted up front. Those guys all did their jobs extremely well, despite some of them lacking top end talent. In comparison, I think Clark Lea / Mike Elko did / are doing a better job teaching fundamental development, while encouraging sound scheme. In the long run I think that gets you further because when push comes to shove against elite teams, you'll need to add an extra hat to the pass rush at times to create pressure, which means zone blitz schemes in which your guys have to be very disciplined in their rotation, or very good man coverage in single high looks... I liked the effectiveness and cohesion in Diaco's scheme, but I like the emphasis on individual development in Lea's scheme better.

Really, IMO, ND is missing 2 pieces to have a top 5 defense nationally...

1. Another player that has 80% of Jerry Tillery's ability at Nose Guard who could actually get some pressure when Jerry commands a double team.

2. A ball hawking free safety. As much as Jalen Elliot has improved, and I give the kid, as well as his position coach a ton of credit, If he was just a play maker on the ball that could bait quarterbacks a little bit and was a sound tackler, ND would be so hard to attack.

I'm not asking for Harison Smith and Stephon Tuitt either. That would be unrealistic. Add Derek Landri and David Bruton to this team and that defense would be EXCELLENT.

Reactions: NotreDomer1
you have your facts incorrect but okay. Have a nice day!

Just checked with those inside the Gug & they said they are not aware of Love running a laser- 4.48 at any ND combine event. They have no clue where that comes from?
I told them that a possible family member said so, & they said they have no knowledge of it. They don’t record anything but lasers. So anything not laser-times doesn’t matter.

Don’t agree.

Teo was drafted
Shembo was drafted
Spond played very well when concussion free
Fox was basically average though

Calabrese was only EVER brought in for obvious run downs

That’s a solid group that almost every other team would love to have
spond never played enough to truly be assessed. yes shembo was drafted. underachiever as a college player in my opinion. i'd take this years defense over the 2012 one any day.

I liked Prince Shembo as 3-4 standup LB/DE... He was a step slow at times, but he was really strong, set the edge well and developed into a really nice pass rusher in 2012.

In retrospect, I think Bob Diaco taught scheme really well and in 2012 he had the size and to do what he wanted up front. Those guys all did their jobs extremely well, despite some of them lacking top end talent. In comparison, I think Clark Lea / Mike Elko did / are doing a better job teaching fundamental development, while encouraging sound scheme. In the long run I think that gets you further because when push comes to shove against elite teams, you'll need to add an extra hat to the pass rush at times to create pressure, which means zone blitz schemes in which your guys have to be very disciplined in their rotation, or very good man coverage in single high looks... I liked the effectiveness and cohesion in Diaco's scheme, but I like the emphasis on individual development in Lea's scheme better.

1. Another player that has 80% of Jerry Tillery's ability at Nose Guard who could actually get some pressure when Jerry commands a double team.

2. A ball hawking free safety. As much as Jalen Elliot has improved, and I give the kid, as well as his position coach a ton of credit, If he was just a play maker on the ball that could bait quarterbacks a little bit and was a sound tackler, ND would be so hard to attack.

I'm not asking for Harison Smith and Stephon Tuitt either. That would be unrealistic. Add Derek Landri and David Bruton to this team and that defense would be EXCELLENT.
what i like most is this group to date is as assignment disciplined as any i've seen in a long, long time. they just don't make the mental mistakes that sometimes result in big momentum changing plays. i like their chances against any offense sans Bama.

spond never played enough to truly be assessed. yes shembo was drafted. underachiever as a college player in my opinion. i'd take this years defense over the 2012 one any day.

Spond only missed the first two games in 2012. He started the final 11 games that year. He retired prior to the 2013 season. As stated, he was excellent in coverage and an above average LBer in my opinion.

https://www.uhnd.com/football/danny-spond-ends-football-playing-career-15141/

The 2012 vs the 2018 defense argument is very subjective. It could go either way IMO. While this defense gets a lot of pressure on the QB's, the 2012 defense was VERY stout against the run (until Bama at least). They also knew how to get off the field on 3rd downs whereas this defense struggles with it. That's more of what losing Shaun Crawford and even Amosa has meant to this year's defense. With those two players in the fold and contributing, I think I'd slant to 2018. Without them, 2012.

Last edited:
Julian love is the most instinctual football player I’ve ever seen at ND and would take him over and corner in CFB. Him and Q Nelson are my 2 favorite players of the BK era.

Julian love is the most instinctual football player I’ve ever seen at ND and would take him over and corner in CFB. Him and Q Nelson are my 2 favorite players of the BK era.
Agreed. That's his best trait. Sometimes I'm surprised by the plays he makes, because he doesn't amaze me athletically. Not particularly big, tall, strong, quick, or fast. Just average. But knows how to play the game fundamentally and schematically and be in the right place at the right time.

Spond only missed the first two games in 2012. He started the final 11 games that year. He retired prior to the 2013 season. As stated, he was excellent in coverage and an above average LBer in my opinion.

https://www.uhnd.com/football/danny-spond-ends-football-playing-career-15141/

The 2012 vs the 2018 defense argument is very subjective. It could go either way IMO. While this defense gets a lot of pressure on the QB's, the 2012 defense was VERY stout against the run (until Bama at least). They also knew how to get off the field on 3rd downs whereas this defense struggles with it. That's more of what losing Shaun Crawford and even Amosa has meant to this year's defense. With those two players in the fold and contributing, I think I'd slant to 2018. Without them, 2012.
ok. i didn't recall that. can't recall him making any impactful plays either.

Guess not? LOL

But the good news is he was rated the top CB in the 1st Group.

Good for Julian. My guess earlier in this thread (just by watching him run) was that he was 4.55 in season. I predicted 4.52 at the combine. He was in the range I thought he was.

Love isn't a burner. Love is a great football player that will use football instincts to make up for his speed. Will he be the best CB ever, no, will he start in the NFL for some years, yes. I expect a pro bowl or 2.

Found this post really interesting. We did miss a NG, which Tillery is not. We were 1 year off from a ball hawking free safety.

What we really lacked was depth at CB. Love coming out of the the Clemson game showed how good he really is. I actually think Avery is gonna really help moving to CB. Let's hope that pride, who is crazy athletic and Griffith turn it on next year. I

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT