ADVERTISEMENT

Joel Klatt : College football needs to make USC 'move off' Notre Dame

USC/ND just happens to be an example that's being used right now of the future reality where there are very few, if any out of conference games. It's obviously going to happen, it's just a matter of how long it takes.

And yes, along with that it will result in ND joining a conference. Hate it all you want, it's inevitable.

USC/ND just happens to be an example that's being used right now of the future reality where there are very few, if any out of conference games. It's obviously going to happen, it's just a matter of how long it takes.

And yes, along with that it will result in ND joining a conference. Hate it all you want, it's inevitable.
The sky is falling the sky is falling.

Every time something changes people say this will result in ND joining a conference. 25 years later and we still aren't in a conference

The sky is falling the sky is falling.

Every time something changes people say this will result in ND joining a conference. 25 years later and we still aren't in a conference
But we are half in a conference and have been for many years. Plus, the changes have been coming faster and faster.

I think ND will be in a conference sooner than many think. And when that happens, many of those same people will be saying they saw it coming all along.

Reactions: rrdd2021 and 4-4-3
But we are half in a conference and have been for many years. Plus, the changes have been coming faster and faster.

I think ND will be in a conference sooner than many think. And when that happens, many of those same people will be saying they saw it coming all along.
And after 25 years of saying that they will be finally be right.

But don't see that coming anytime soon. No reason to

The same guy in 2018 that called out Saban and said Bama was suffering because of him?

Tye same Joel Klatt that said an Iowa would be a rough game for Mich last year?

Tye same Joel that said Colorado was a conference contender last year?

This is his way to try to create drama to get ND to move to Big10.

Reactions: Pennick4
There is no logic for ND to join a conference. This 'independence' thing has served the school very well and will continue to do so. Insofar as USC cancelling the rivalry, I also doubt that. But ND may have a lot pressure to join from the ACC now that the top brands are trying to get out.

There is no logic for ND to join a conference. This 'independence' thing has served the school very well and will continue to do so. Insofar as USC cancelling the rivalry, I also doubt that. But ND may have a lot pressure to join from the ACC now that the top brands are trying to get out.
How can they pressure us? What can they do?

Big 10 QuixOte.

Garbage.

USC/Notre Dame is the greatest non conference college football rivalry currently in existence.

those that hate the irish are the only ones attacking this game

Reactions: tbonesays
USC/Notre Dame is the greatest non conference college football rivalry currently in existence.

those that hate the irish are the only ones attacking this game
It's all about clicks.

Colin Cowherd started this conversation a few days ago on his national radio show on Fox.

I hate the particular example that Klatt used, but he makes a really good point. If there's going to be a governing body over college sports, then it shouldn't it...you know...govern?

The NFL does quite well by setting the schedule for all of its teams. The NCAA could have some great schedules if it did the same. My ideal for college football would be all teams having full independence for their schedules. But if that's not going to happen, then I would much rather have an agreed-upon governing body setting the schedule for everyone than have these middle-men called conferences calling the shots.

if you’re trusting the NCAA to act in Notre Dame‘s best interests, you’re out of your mind

Allowing a bureaucratic agency to control Dame’s scheduling would be insane

There’s an enormous difference between the NFL, a ruthlessly efficient, stable organization, absent any inherent bias, presiding over only 32 teams and the NCAA.

KLATT IS CLUELESS !

Reactions: BGI User 756
It's all about clicks.

Colin Cowherd started this conversation a few days ago on his national radio show on Fox.
Very good point. Cowherd, who is clueless in my opinion, made the statement that "USC should move off Notre Dame." Klatt, who I actually think is generally insightful, responded that it shouldn't be USC's job to move off Notre Dame, but that the NCAA should move toward controlling scheduling.

To PatIrish's question about trusting the NCAA to act in Notre Dame's best interests - no, no one should trust that. But if it comes to the point of trusting either the NCAA or the Big 10, I'm going with the NCAA. Here's hoping that type of choice isn't forced on us anytime soon.

The administration and AD have stated on numerous occasions. 3 things need to be in place for ND to remain independent.

1. Access to playoff/national championship - check
2. NBC - check
3. Scheduling - check (ND will always get games with top tier programs. It's a ratings bonanza)

Reactions: BGI User 756

Garbage.

I hate the particular example that Klatt used, but he makes a really good point. If there's going to be a governing body over college sports, then it shouldn't it...you know...govern?

The NFL does quite well by setting the schedule for all of its teams. The NCAA could have some great schedules if it did the same. My ideal for college football would be all teams having full independence for their schedules. But if that's not going to happen, then I would much rather have an agreed-upon governing body setting the schedule for everyone than have these middle-men called conferences calling the shots.
anyone trusting the NCAA to do more than hold a press conference is a fool

The administration and AD have stated on numerous occasions. 3 things need to be in place for ND to remain independent.

2. NBC - check
3. Scheduling - check (ND will always get games with top tier programs. It's a ratings bonanza)

I liked it when we were truly independent. But as I said, we are already halfway in a conference anyway and have been for years. So, maybe we should call just call ourselves semi-independent.

Why do I think ND will be forced to join a conference? Well, the ACC could implode overnight just like the Pac-10 did. Maybe we'll go back to what's left of the Big East then, but they really don't have any football teams left, so I guess we'll just work our way through the various directional schools we have begun to schedule in recent years like Northern Illinois and Central Michigan.

Or, at some point, the conferences (and I think there will be only two, the BIG and the SEC) can pretty much require us to join by refusing to allow teams to play us or not allowing us access to the playoffs.

In the end, I don't really know how much difference it will make.

I liked it when we were truly independent. But as I said, we are already halfway in a conference anyway and have been for years. So, maybe we should call just call ourselves semi-independent.

Why do I think ND will be forced to join a conference? Well, the ACC could implode overnight just like the Pac-10 did. Maybe we'll go back to what's left of the Big East then, but they really don't have any football teams left, so I guess we'll just work our way through the various directional schools we have begun to schedule in recent years like Northern Illinois and Central Michigan.

Or, at some point, the conferences (and I think there will be only two, the BIG and the SEC) can pretty much require us to join by refusing to allow teams to play us or not allowing us access to the playoffs.

When you don’t play a conference championship game you are not half way into anything.

And no one will “…require…” Pete Bevacqua and Notre Dame to do anything.

Keep talking to yourself.

2. NBC - check
Very very well stated.

Reactions: NDinNJ

They would not do that

This is why you’re an idiot. You have no idea if the two big contenders
Would shut ND off.
lol, money runs college football. If ND reaches out to UGA, Bama, Florida, etc. for a home and home. Not only with they agree, the networks would most likely force them to sign those games. It's all about ratings and $$$$$$$.

Reactions: tbonesays
lol, money runs college football. If ND reaches out to UGA, Bama, Florida, etc. for a home and home. Not only with they agree, the networks would most likely force them to sign those games. It's all about ratings and $$$$$$$.
X2.

Yes I do. It would be terrible business for the SEC to do that. They aren't stupid
They already for the most part the SEC doesn’t like there schools playing ND. and the old Big 10 commissioner wanted BIG 10 schools to stop playing us.

Well that’s not true. Those schools will go out of there way to make ND suffer. Florida and Bama do not want anything to do with playing ND unless ND joins the SEC.

• Haha
Well that’s not true. Those schools will go out of there way to make ND suffer. Florida and Bama do not want anything to do with playing ND unless ND joins the SEC.
Alabama plays Notre Dame in 2029 and 2030.

Home and Home.

They already for the most part the SEC doesn’t like there schools playing ND. and the old Big 10 commissioner wanted BIG 10 schools to stop playing us.
What was that commissioner name?

Thanks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT