ADVERTISEMENT

It took Dabo 5 years to have his Clemson team competitive with the big dawgs of college football

BleedingBlueNGold

Shakes Down The Thunder
Oct 13, 2009
And it took him 9 years to win his first national championship. The question is, does ND give Freeman the time to develop the program?

This was never a playoff team. Let's face it. The media hyped up Hartman as being the saving grace and we all bought into it again. But just think how bad this team would have been with Buchner starting. We are much weaker and depleted on D-line than we have been in the past. Our WR room is complete garbage and useless as far as I'm concerned. ND making the playoffs this year was a pipe dream.

However, I'll make the case for giving Freeman his time. Not since Lou Holtz has someone embraced the University like Freeman. I think that is a valuable asset to have in a coach for ND. Someone deeply committed to the University, because that is infectious to the players.

Freeman has shown some signs of brilliance although he has struggled thus far. The pummeling over Clemson last year really spoke to me. If he can tap into that a little more consistently, then he will be quite alright for years to come.

The constant knee jerk reaction of fanbases and universities to fire/hire coaches based off of single games and even seasons is elementary and irrational, and does more to destabilize a program and keep it destabilized than people think. If Clemson had fired Dabo after he went 6-7 his 3rd year, there would never have been that Clemson dynasty.

Just food for thought after a tough loss. I will agree that the coaches did not shine in this game tonight, but I'm still behind Marcus to learn from this.

And it took him 9 years to win his first national championship. The question is, does ND give Freeman the time to develop the program?

This was never a playoff team. Let's face it. The media hyped up Hartman as being the saving grace and we all bought into it again. But just think how bad this team would have been with Buchner starting. We are much weaker and depleted on D-line than we have been in the past. Our WR room is complete garbage and useless as far as I'm concerned. ND making the playoffs this year was a pipe dream.

However, I'll make the case for giving Freeman his time. Not since Lou Holtz has someone embraced the University like Freeman. I think that is a valuable asset to have in a coach for ND. Someone deeply committed to the University, because that is infectious to the players.

Freeman has shown some signs of brilliance although he has struggled thus far. The pummeling over Clemson last year really spoke to me. If he can tap into that a little more consistently, then he will be quite alright for years to come.

The constant knee jerk reaction of fanbases and universities to fire/hire coaches based off of single games and even seasons is elementary and irrational, and does more to destabilize a program and keep it destabilized than people think. If Clemson had fired Dabo after he went 6-7 his 3rd year, there would never have been that Clemson dynasty.

Just food for thought after a tough loss. I will agree that the coaches did not shine in this game tonight, but I'm still behind Marcus to learn from this.
Dabo didn't inherit what Marcus Freeman did.

13-7 simply isn't good enough for what he took over.....which was 44-6 the last 50 games.

You gotta be fair and give him a chance, while he doesn’t have a poor overall record, he’s lost to every good team thus far minus maybe Clemson last year.

His 4th & 11 call tonight was terrible, the 10 men on the field against OSU and his excuse he didn’t want a penalty were terrible, his saying Estime should’ve taken a knee when ND was down by 1 with 39 seconds left was terrible.

The losses to Marshall and one win Stanford last year were TERRIBLE!!

I wanted to give him a chance as a rookie HC but he’s really screwed the pooch several times now.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Well… this is nice but as bad as USC looks tonight. That’s another L. Clemson will match the Louisville intensity but with better players. So 8-4. Same as last year. Tougher schedule? Not so sure. This seems like a regression.

What does Dabo’s proven record have to do with Freeman’s unproven record. ?

You’re erroneously implying the Freeman will attain Dabo’s level of success.

Gerry Faust and Charlie Weis embraced the University !
Are you looking for a romance or a highly successful football coach ?

What signs of brilliance has Freeman demonstrated ?

How about questioning the hire ?

Well… this is nice but as bad as USC looks tonight. That’s another L. Clemson will match the Louisville intensity but with better players. So 8-4. Same as last year. Tougher schedule? Not so sure. This seems like a regression.
Nostradamus is here.

No no no. Fire his ass. He is learning on the job much learning left. Go get a night school degree

Dabo landed four five stars in his second recruiting class. And as someone mentioned, Clemson was probably a top 30 program when he took over so expectations were much lower.

Dumb thread. Much different world with transfers and NIL. This horrendous coaching and game plan not having talent or good players like Dabo faced. Plus Clemson got a couple fantastic QBs. Clemson has been average since

Reactions: KYExtemper

This is true and the same for Tom Osbourne, but it's a different mentality now with little patience

Wrong, they have the talent to be a playoff team. This is a copout.

And it only took Urban one year at OSU !

Stop making excuses !

Until people stop buying tickets, merch, and the university stops taking in tv money, this is the norm here. Until everyone demands a better on field product and walks away until they do, they see no reason to change much.

But take this coming bowl season as an example. Better bet your butt that bowl games will line up to host them. Why? Money for one, and the fact there is an awful lot of people who love seeing this program get embarrassed, yet again.

Until people stop buying tickets, merch, and the university stops taking in tv money, this is the norm here. Until everyone demands a better on field product and walks away until they do, they see no reason to change much.

But take this coming bowl season as an example. Better bet your butt that bowl games will line up to host them. Why? Money for one, and the fact there is an awful lot of people who love seeing this program get embarrassed, yet again.
You don’t know what you’re talking about !

Fans, true fans buy tickets and merchandise and watch TV regardless of ND’s record.

Everybody is already “demanding” a better on field product.

The problem. ?

Selecting Davie, Willingham, Wei’s, Faust and others !

It all starts, it all begins and ends with the head coach.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
You don’t know what you’re talking about !

Fans, true fans buy tickets and merchandise and watch TV regardless of ND’s record.

Everybody is already “demanding” a better on field product.

The problem. ?

Selecting Davie, Willingham, Wei’s, Faust and others !

It all starts, it all begins and ends with the head coach.
Well I do at least

To be fair Tressel left him setup nicely
They were 6-7 the year before Urban arrived and he took them to 12-0 his first year

Ara took a 2-7 team to 9-1 his first year and just missed 10-0 by less than 2 minutes

The recruiting will start to tail off. It will be a vicious cycle down. BTW. We still have to play Wake and Stanford who could beat us. Buckle your seat belts. Our offense on the road is marginal. Angeli should get experience whether it's Hartmans or Parkers fault or both- who cares at this point. They both will be gone at years end.

Ok so just on offense in season two for Freeman there's no WRs, no QB (needed to get a merc) what exactly did he inherit?

The recruiting will start to tail off. It will be a vicious cycle down. BTW. We still have to play Wake and Stanford who could beat us. Buckle your seat belts. Our offense on the road is marginal. Angeli should get experience whether it's Hartmans or Parkers fault or both- who cares at this point. They both will be gone at years end.
Freeman is going nowhere recruiting is going well now such is why a quality OC is what is needed

Ok so just on offense in season two for Freeman there's no WRs, no QB (needed to get a merc) what exactly did he inherit?
A week ago your QB was being hyped for the Heisman

What did he inherit, teams that won 10 games over the last 5 years, a rock solid program !

How many years have we been saying that?
Well, I’d argue Kelly greatly improved and elevated NDs program.

Freeman was supposed to be the guy to take the Irish to the next level, but with decisions like promoting a TE coach to OC, it’s unlikely he will.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT