ADVERTISEMENT

Is Tommy Rees a better HC candidate than Marcus Freeman this upcoming off-season?

Is Tommy Rees a better HC candidate than Marcus Freeman this upcoming off-season?

• Yes

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007

I’m not sure, but I do know that he’s going to get some head coaching offers sooner than later.

Jaylen Milroe is a great athlete and has a strong arm, but has so many weaknesses as a quarterback, which is why he takes so many big loss sacks. Considering this and how much Milroy has developed, he has done an incredible job amidst so much scrutiny, and of course, high expectations at Alabama.

I’m not sure, but I do know that he’s going to get some head coaching offers sooner than later.

Jaylen Milroe is a great athlete and has a strong arm, but has so many weaknesses as a quarterback, which is why he takes so many big loss sacks. Considering this and how much Milroy has developed, he has done an incredible job amidst so much scrutiny, and of course, high expectations at Alabama.
It’s all Milroe……TR is nothing without him!

Milroe was a negative for half of the season and even when he was doing well he had so many negative plays. I’m not sure how much credit we can give Tommy Rees given that Alabama has four and five star athletes everywhere, but you could put in multiple different quarterbacks in there, and I think Alabama would have success, probably a lot more than what they had with Milroy.

FWIW, even back when he was beginning as an offensive coordinator, there were so many people who talked about him as an up-and-coming rising star, which seems to be corroborated by Nick Saban wanting him to run his offense.

Milton was only 14 for 29 yards rushing and 13 for 23 passing.

Beck was 21 for 29 passing

Obviously you didn’t see the game and TR’s play calling !

I'm not having a go at you, but this is a silly conjecture.

I've posted before how I have to eat my words about Tommy. I dismissed him and thought he'd be found out at Alabama. Well, he's clearly learning and even thriving...proving once again what being in an elite environment can do.

But HC? No way. Not yet. Let's see if it ever happens. Not all coordinators become coaches, let alone good ones.

I actually hope Tommy does. If so, I'd like to think he might give ND a thought. Although any really successful coach would approach an opportunity no differently than Saban, Meyer, and Harbaugh.

I'm not having a go at you, but this is a silly conjecture.

I've posted before how I have to eat my words about Tommy. I dismissed him and thought he'd be found out at Alabama. Well, he's clearly learning and even thriving...proving once again what being in an elite environment can do.

But HC? No way. Not yet. Let's see if it ever happens. Not all coordinators become coaches, let alone good ones.

I actually hope Tommy does. If so, I'd like to think he might give ND a thought. Although any really successful coach would approach an opportunity no differently than Saban, Meyer, and Harbaugh.
Is he thriving?

Is he thriving?

He's the current OC of an offensive that found its mojo his 1st season. Not fired. On an Alabama that in my book is legitimately top 4...although as I've been posting, you have to rank by committee guidance rules, not current eye test Power Ranking.

Marcus’ biggest accomplishments are beating Clemson and SC at home.
Tommy’s could be an SEC and National Title. I’d say the pendulum definitely swings Tommy’s way in that argument.

• Haha
Reactions: Golson5
He's the current OC of an offensive that found its mojo his 1st season. Not fired. On an Alabama that in my book is legitimately top 4...although as I've been posting, you have to rank by committee guidance rules, not current eye test Power Ranking.
They averaged 41.1 ppg last year. This year they are 35.5 ppg

You have to be an absolute awful OC to struggle with Alabamas talent.

And he is not that. He did what he did. Solid job not spectacular

Tommy’s could be an SEC and National Title. I’d say the pendulum definitely swings Tommy’s way in that argument.
🤔. Tommy might be getting some help from the greatest college head football coach that ever lived.

Reactions: Golson5

Nothing like burying the lead. Last year Bama's QB happened to be the NFL's number 1 pick. Keep trying! 😜

Nothing like burying the lead. Last year Bama's QB happened to be the NFL's number 1 pick. Keep trying! 😜
Alabamas worst offense since 2009

Nice try little buddy !

Alabama has more talent than ever team they play. Dont give me that BS excuse

You must be trolling at this point.

On the message boards, looking for some attention? Again…

You must be trolling at this point.

On the message boards, looking for some attention? Again…
I’ve yet to hear a valid argument as to why Marcus deserved to be awarded the head coaching opportunity. The program is trending downward from when he took over, certainly in the W/L category

I’ve yet to hear a valid argument as to why Marcus deserved to be awarded the head coaching opportunity. The program is trending downward from when he took over, certainly in the W/L category
Very good DC, very good recruiter. High character.

Yeah that's how coordinators get head coaching jobs. See Ryan Day, Kirby Smart, Dan Lanning, Lincoln Riley etc. Etc. Etc
The question was who is a better head coaching candidate. Tommy has more accomplishments and therefore is a better candidate.

We went through this 23 months ago. It was debated extensively. Go back and look up the “valid arguments”.

Just so I’m clear: You want Rees to be the HC?

We went through this 23 months ago. It was debated extensively. Go back and look up the “valid arguments”.

Just so I’m clear: You want Rees to be the HC?
No, that wasn’t the question, Christ. The question was who is the better head coaching candidate. Neither are ND caliber coaches currently

This is a good team all around, not least having a good offense. They've turned it around and are peaking...with Tommy course correcting. The statistics are not bad...and obviously can be misinterpreted.

This is year 1 for Tommy. Many rightfully say this is probably top 2 in reality, albeit not worthy right now of getting in...unless Michigan or FUS lose. Tommy is a key part of it....solid, as you say, which means he is indeed thriving.

He's young and also being developed. And succeeding. Period.

This is a good team all around, not least having a good offense. They've turned it around and are peaking...with Tommy course correcting. The statistics are not bad...and obviously can be misinterpreted.

This is year 1 for Tommy. Many rightfully say this is probably top 2 in reality, albeit not worthy right now of getting in...unless Michigan or FUS lose. Tommy is a key part of it....solid, as you say, which means he is indeed thriving.

He's young and also being developed. And succeeding. Period.
That's fine analysis. We just have a different definition of the word thriving. All good

That's fine analysis. We just have a different definition of the word thriving. All good

All Im saying it's a good year 1 for him.

There is a chance things go south...but sure looks like a progressively positive trajectory right now...and he's in a good place to raise the odds of success.

We will find out.

Is Rees the QB coach? Because that is who should get a lot of credit considering how bad the Alabama QB situation was starting this season.

No, that wasn’t the question, Christ. The question was who is the better head coaching candidate. Neither are ND caliber coaches currently
If neither are HC caliber, then why come here and drum up a pointless debate of which is the better candidate? What’s it matter? It’s irrelevant.

All Im saying it's a good year 1 for him.

There is a chance things go south...but sure looks like a progressively positive trajectory right now...and he's in a good place to raise the odds of success.

We will find out.
It will never go negative. Alabama has too much talent for any competent coach to fail

Well it's not like he's working with Iowa's offensive unit
As far as scrutiny i think he developed enough thick skin at Notre Dame for anything Alabama had waiting for him

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT