ADVERTISEMENT

Is there a playoff-path with an 11-1 record?

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
Wondering what would have to play out--what teams would have to win/lose--over the next few weeks in order for ND to get in even with a loss vs USC?

I did some playing around with the playoff predictor tool over at fivethirtyeight https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-college-football-predictions/

It looks like the only path would be some pretty big conference championship upsets (like the ones you mentioned) but we can also throw Pittsburgh/ACC into the mix as well.

According to the playoff predictor .. it would be a difficult choice between an 11-1 ND and a 12-1 Clemson in the event Pittsburgh wins the ACC.

Wondering what would have to play out--what teams would have to win/lose--over the next few weeks in order for ND to get in even with a loss vs USC?

If ND lost to this USC, forget playoffs, ND should decline a bowl invite, and leave the country!

Reactions: baron100
If ND lost to this USC, forget playoffs, ND should decline a bowl invite, and leave the country!

:D:D

In football anything can happen (luck plays a big factor in a single game). Just trying to figure out what teams i should be rooting for in terms of wins/losses/upsets over the next few weeks.

Last edited:
1% chance we don’t hammer SC. They are really soft! If we can’t beat them we don’t deserve to be in

So OSU will be highly favored in their conference championship game vs NW .. so OSU are heavy favorites now to lock up a playoff spot.

According to playoff predictor if Clemson/Alabama/OSU/Oklahoma/Notre Dame win their remaining games (all very reasonable/likely at this point) ND would be the least likely to make the playoff.

In the above scenario they have ND at 62%, Oklahoma at 70%, and OSU at 68% with Clemson and Alabama at 99%

The playoff committee would have to choose between Oklahoma/ND/OSU for the final 2 spots. NDs competition in that scenario would have 12-1 records and conference championship wins on their resume.

This is kind of scary.

According to playoff predictor if Clemson/Alabama/OSU/Oklahoma/Notre Dame win their remaining games (all very reasonable/likely at this point) ND would be the least likely to make the playoff.
Notre Dame wins tonight they're in, no questions asked. The argument right now is for the 4th spot.

If they were to leave Notre Dame out after going 12-0, how in the world could the committee justify that? It would just make the national championship meaningless.

They do use "the 4 best teams" rhetoric a lot .. and that isn't entirely attributed to record.

What also is worrying is if Alabama and Georgia have a super close game and Georgia gets a last minute victory of some kind.

Then it's 12-1 Alabama, 12-1 Georgia, 12-1 OSU, 12-1 OU, 13-0 Clemson, and 12-0 ND

ND right now sits at 6th in most computer polls.

USC being a dogshit program right now doesn't help the situation.

They do use "the 4 best teams" rhetoric a lot .. and that isn't entirely attributed to record.

What also is worrying is if Alabama and Georgia have a super close game and Georgia gets a last minute victory of some kind.

Then it's 12-1 Alabama, 12-1 Georgia, 12-1 OSU, 12-1 OU, 13-0 Clemson, and 12-0 ND

ND right now sits at 6th in most computer polls.

USC being a dogshit program right now doesn't help the situation.
Notre Dame's at #3 right now, the only thing I've seen people argue is the 4th spot. USC, FSU, and Stanford are usually great programs it isn't ND's fault that they blow this year. Undefeated they get in no question.

Michigan is better than any win that Clemson can claim along with the common opponent Syracuse.(which Notre Dame dominated) I would be absolutely livid if they left Notre Dame out and if Notre Dame won their bowl game in that scenario, I would have no problem claiming a piece of the title. It's about time people start giving Notre Dame the respect they deserve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT