ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to reconsider Notre Dame’s Fighting Irish nickname?

Wait, you claimed you didn't read 1 word of my original post so how can you compare it to any other arguments you have claimed to have heard in the past?

Also the racism here is the privileged white guy speaking on behalf of all Native Americans. I suppose the Indians that don't agree with you are too stupid to have valid opinions.

Oh do you want me read to it all carefully now, and that's going to make the difference? All the other op-eds in the National Review or the Washington Times or on FOX that I may or may not have digested, that's not good enough? You have some special nuanced take on this stupid subject that no one's ever articulate befored that's going to finally carry the old guard over the finish line, and Tucker Carlson's take wasn't good enough?

Sorry, this subject has beaten to death already from every possible angle. Nobody has anything new to add. So I'm keeping it simple. It's an obvious racial slur, no questions asked, and thus that's why we're going to change it. For everyone's benefit.

Done and done!

Oh do you want me read to it all carefully now, and that's going to make the difference? All the other op-eds in the National Review or the Washington Times or on FOX that I may or may not have digested, that's not good enough? You have some special nuanced take on this stupid subject that no one's ever articulate befored that's going to finally carry the old guard over the finish line, and Tucker Carlson's take wasn't good enough?

Sorry, this subject has beaten to death already from every possible angle. Nobody has anything new to add. So I'm keeping it simple. It's an obvious racial slur, no questions asked, and thus that's why we're going to change it. For everyone's benefit.

Done and done!
Done for you, but not others. I might not like your opinion, but at least I respect your right to have it I also have the right to express my opinion even when others don't agree with it. If we all thought alike life would boring.

Reactions: DublinND and Java65

Done and done!
Like anybody believes you have actually read or listened to anything on the subject that wasn't a FB post or a Tweet.

The reality is you are too lazy to put any effort into the subject. You are a one dimensional thinker that needs to put everything in a nice, neat little box because you lack the ambition and mental aptitude to dissect complex issues and weigh all the factors.

The proof in your posts, you never once offer anything other than your uninformed opinion, 'it's clearly racist'. At least pretend to put some thought or research into your opinion.

What is racist is the white guy with low self-esteem telling every Native American how they should feel or view the subject.

This just further validates my assertion that the 'racist' term is used by the intellectually weak to avoid actually having to put any effort into backing up their views.

Reactions: irishalice
Like anybody believes you have actually read or listened to anything on the subject that wasn't a FB post or a Tweet.

The reality is you are too lazy to put any effort into the subject. You are a one dimensional thinker that needs to put everything in a nice, neat little box because you lack the ambition and mental aptitude to dissect complex issues and weigh all the factors.

The proof in your posts, you never once offer anything other than your uninformed opinion, 'it's clearly racist'. At least pretend to put some thought or research into your opinion.

What is racist is the white guy with low self-esteem telling every Native American how they should feel or view the subject.

This just further validates my assertion that the 'racist' term is used by the intellectually weak to avoid actually having to put any effort into backing up their views.
You are really desperate aren't you? You're actually calling me a liar, and that I'm lying when I claim to have actually listened to all the various reactionary, racist, right-wing tirades on why we have to keep all these racist names and whatnot and the whole effin' litany of what amount to almost nazi-level backwards, benighted conservative shit in society, and why we can't ever change and evolve, and how it would be somehow morally wrong or misguided and unrighteous to do so. And that I've never even heard you out. And when I finally wave you off because indeed I have heard enough, you furiously call me a liar and claim I've never given people like you an audience even once.....

That's desperation alright. I would almost describe it as a form of madness. In any case, for old-guarders like you it ain't getting any better. And your new enemy isn't going to be merely defenseless and weak liberals who are daring to repudiate you, and who you nevertheless consider it your god-given right to dominate. It's going to be society itself, it's going to be science and technology and the essentially liberal culture that underpins it, that you're at such fundamental odds with. And you're going to lose that fight. And it will sweep away the obstacles in its path, including whatever pathetic little stand you think you're making....

So it's up to you if you want to go out railing at fate like a lunatic. It ain't gonna make any difference. You lost the fight to keep this racist nickname, as utterly trivial and insignificant as it is, and you're just gonna keep losing and losing and losing and losing... and that's how it's gonna go. And in any case the merits of this particular controversy are settled. If you want to keep working yourself up into a frenzy - cool. But I'm out of this thread.

You are really desperate aren't you? You're actually calling me a liar, and that I'm lying when I claim to have actually listened to all the various reactionary, racist, right-wing tirades on why we have to keep all these racist names and whatnot and the whole effin' litany of what amount to almost nazi-level backwards, benighted conservative shit in society, and why we can't ever change and evolve, and how it would be somehow morally wrong or misguided and unrighteous to do so. And that I've never even heard you out. And when I finally wave you off because indeed I have heard enough, you furiously call me a liar and claim I've never given people like you an audience even once.....

That's desperation alright. I would almost describe it as a form of madness. In any case, for old-guarders like you it ain't getting any better. And your new enemy isn't going to be merely defenseless and weak liberals who are daring to repudiate you, and who you nevertheless consider it your god-given right to dominate. It's going to be society itself, it's going to be science and technology and the essentially liberal culture that underpins it, that you're at such fundamental odds with. And you're going to lose that fight. And it will sweep away the obstacles in its path, including whatever pathetic little stand you think you're making....

So it's up to you if you want to go out railing at fate like a lunatic. It ain't gonna make any difference. You lost the fight to keep this racist nickname, as utterly trivial and insignificant as it is, and you're just gonna keep losing and losing and losing and losing... and that's how it's gonna go. And in any case the merits of this particular controversy are settled. If you want to keep working yourself up into a frenzy - cool. But I'm out of this thread.
Not desperate at all, just based on events here. You are too lazy to support your arguments with facts and logic so I rightly deduced you are the typical bigoted, low information SJW with low self-esteem trying to tear down everything and everyone around you because you think it will boost your self-worth.

You also show your lack of education by thinking the direction we are going we will always go. It's a pendulum and it swings back and forth. The 50s were ultra conservative and we sending troops all over the world for every reason. 60s came along and it was much like now because people reacted to what had happened. By the 80s it was Reagan and conservatism all over again, the era of "greed is good". 90s were kind of in-between. People got tired of Bush and the war mongering again and we elected Obama. They got tired of his liberalism and elected the most anti-PC guy they could find in Trump. His extremes got old and they elected Biden.

This too shall pass. The ways of the bigoted, fascist cancel-culture is already getting old and people in the middle are growing tired of it. All that people like yourself are doing is making it possible for someone like Trump to get elected again.

I'm not at fundamental odds with any of the things you mentioned. I've voted Reagan, Clinton once, Bush once Obama once, Gary Johnson and Trump. What I am against is narrow-minded, bigots that are uninformed and angry at the world trying to ruin everything around because they are unhappy.

Like I said the only thing fascists like you are doing is making it possible for somebody like Trump to win again. If that's what you want go ahead and keep alienating everyone around you because you are clearly uneducated on history if you think the current trajectory will always be.

Reactions: irishalice
Not desperate at all, just based on events here. You are too lazy to support your arguments with facts and logic so I rightly deduced you are the typical bigoted, low information SJW with low self-esteem trying to tear down everything and everyone around you because you think it will boost your self-worth.

You also show your lack of education by thinking the direction we are going we will always go. It's a pendulum and it swings back and forth. The 50s were ultra conservative and we sending troops all over the world for every reason. 60s came along and it was much like now because people reacted to what had happened. By the 80s it was Reagan and conservatism all over again, the era of "greed is good". 90s were kind of in-between. People got tired of Bush and the war mongering again and we elected Obama. They got tired of his liberalism and elected the most anti-PC guy they could find in Trump. His extremes got old and they elected Biden.

This too shall pass. The ways of the bigoted, fascist cancel-culture is already getting old and people in the middle are growing tired of it. All that people like yourself are doing is making it possible for someone like Trump to get elected again.

I'm not at fundamental odds with any of the things you mentioned. I've voted Reagan, Clinton once, Bush once Obama once, Gary Johnson and Trump. What I am against is narrow-minded, bigots that are uninformed and angry at the world trying to ruin everything around because they are unhappy.

Like I said the only thing fascists like you are doing is making it possible for somebody like Trump to win again. If that's what you want go ahead and keep alienating everyone around you because you are clearly uneducated on history if you think the current trajectory will always be.

Yeah, yeah.... I've heard it all before. A million times by now....

It's not clearly a racial slur. Almost without exception the term's; racist, homophobic, sexist, etc are used by people who making an argument they cannot make with facts, logic or reason.

The Washington Post conducted 2 surveys of Native Americans, one in 2016 and another in 2019 and 90% were proud of the names.

2016 Poll
https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports...hows-9-in-10-Native-Americans-not-7725238.php

2019 Poll
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...redskins-name-finds-proud-most-common-answer/

The 2 Washington Post polls are nearly identical to a 2004 poll done by University of Pennsylvania.
https://www.annenbergpublicpolicyce...acceptable-while-9-percent-call-it-offensive/

Former Redskins player Sean Locklear who is Indian and a member of the Lumbee Tribe in NC says he was never offended and his grandfather who is full blooded Native American was a huge Redskins fan and they never found it offensive and actually were proud of it.
https://abc11.com/washington-redskins-nc-state-football-sean-locklear/6320341/

His sentiments are echoed by former Redskins player Gary Clark who took it upon himself to visit a reservation and find out first hand their opinions. His experience was the same as Locklear, most were Redskins fans and proud of the name.
https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/redskins-legend-gary-clark-says-name-not-derogatory

A little time educating oneself on the subject proves out the racist claim is not a "fact" as some like to claim. It's an easy attack where the accuser has to put in no effort to defend their argument and tries to put others on the defensive.

While I could not care less about the name of the Redskins team, its the out of control Political (in-)Correctness that I oppose. It's driving this country and it's people apart. We have become a country where people cannot interact with one another because a very small of individuals who are active on social media become offended about, well, everything. This leads to name calling, anger and hatred on both sides.

Generally the people 'offended' and 'outraged' by everything are self-entitled people with low self-esteem. Instead of finding ways to better themselves and find their own self-worth they engage in trying to destroy everything around them.
This adds factual support to what we knew to be true. \

I can only add that liberal America's handling of Indian mascot is racist because terms like "Viking" or "Spartan" are acceptable. A different standard for groups we call 'white' than for one of 'color.' That's the definition of racist.

Reactions: Java65
This is exactly what I am saying when people throw out claims of racists and offended as statements of facts.

Who get's to become the sole arbiter of what is racist or offensive?
It's just freaking words to begin with

Reactions: Java65

Suck it up..
If it bothers you that's too bad
You'll live snowflake
There's no malicious intent behind the nickname.
There's bigger things to worry about lib guy ...
Like the humanitarian disaster occurring currently at the border with 17,000 children in squalid conditions in the Biden detention centers
These are just freaking words after all
The other is real life

Reactions: Extirpate 6951
Suck it up..
If it bothers you that's too bad
You'll live snowflake
There's no malicious intent behind the nickname.
There's bigger things to worry about lib guy ...
Like the humanitarian disaster occurring currently at the border with 17,000 children in squalid conditions in the Biden detention centers
These are just freaking words after all
The other is real life
Game, Set, Match!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT