ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to reconsider Notre Dame’s Fighting Irish nickname?

Dan Snyder has been on the record as saying he would never change the nickname of the Washington football team. This is true, despite years of pressure to do so. That’s because the nickname of the Washington team is the Redskins, a term long considered a generalized slur against Native Americans, regardless of tribe.

https://slapthesign.com/2020/07/06/...ly&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email
When you find some offended Irishmen, come back and talk to us.

If you think that the world owes you anything for being offended you are dead wrong.

The idiots behind most of this stupidity seem to think that way.

By the way, it is notable that virtually all the push for changing the redskins name comes from NON INDIANS.

The way ND has marketed the fighting Irish In academic and research and social justice terms has been brilliant. Changing this would take the goals of racial equality and sensitivity to an asinine level.

https://www.nd.edu/stories/whats-in-a-name/

"The first use of the nickname “Fighting Irish” for Notre Dame sports teams may have been in 1909 when legend says that a player’s speech at the halftime of a football game against Michigan inspired a furious comeback. He reportedly yelled to his teammates — with names like Dolan, Kelly, Glynn, and Ryan: “What’s the matter with you guys? You’re all Irish and you’re not fighting worth a lick.” The news reports that picked up the story attributed the victory to the Fighting Irishmen."

Wonder when they will come for the nickname Alices? ;)

When you find some offended Irishmen, come back and talk to us.

If you think that the world owes you anything for being offended you are dead wrong.

By the way, it is notable that virtually all the push for changing the redskins name comes from NON INDIANS.

you will find them on the green island west of Wales. Their youth prefer to be woke Euros rather than their Irish parents. Some of them will trickle into the US as grad students who make a name for themselves by accusing others.

My response is that Island west of Wales should change its name because it has become demeaning to Irish Americans.

you will find them on the green island west of Wales. Their youth prefer to be woke Euros rather than their Irish parents. Some of them will trickle into the US as grad students who make a name for themselves by accusing others.

My response is that Island west of Wales should change its name because it has become demeaning to Irish Americans.
The Irish back in Ireland actually should be proud to be called Fighting Irish instead of a bunch of terrorists as they were for so long....

Anyone remember LSU's vaunted "Chinese Bandits"?

there the Chinese Bandits, The Whites and the Golds!

Wow, that’s a protest waiting to happen!

The way the Bandits came about was PD daily read a comic strip of the day, the Chinese Bandits and thought they were bad-ass!

Recent politics, ND can change it’s name to ‘Fighting Pagan’s’

Reactions: rgc7

What about the first nations / indigenous people?

I’m not offended. All I did was post a article.

That’s not true !

You posted an article/link but you prefaced it with a provacative title meant to cause discord, “Is it Time to Reconsider Notre Dame’s Fighting Irish Nickname”

My first inclination is that you didn’t graduate from Notre Dame, because no Notre Dame graduate would create a post with that title.

So, what’s your motive ?

That’s not true !

You posted an article/link but you prefaced it with a provacative title meant to cause discord, “Is it Time to Reconsider Notre Dame’s Fighting Irish Nickname”

My first inclination is that you didn’t graduate from Notre Dame, because no Notre Dame graduate would create a post with that title.

So, what’s your motive ?
Don’t care what you think.

how about just Notre Dame!
no mentions of:
sex, race, ethnicity, height, weight, dietary habit, bowel frequency, hair color, eye color, religion, views about extra terrestrials, medical conditions, marital status, criminal records, driver licenses or insurance status and fraud, brothers-in-law or sisters-in-law- immediate family, geographic location, political status or beliefs, lawn maintenance efforts, drug dependency, job/salary status, whether you rent or own, whether flatulence is a problem for you or others, ... miss anything?

I have not heard one word from anyone or anywhere. I have visited Ireland twice over the years, and they love Notre Dame. I love the Fighting Irish and I know of no one who would want the name changed. Why even bring that up?

Reactions: rgc7
Dan Snyder has been on the record as saying he would never change the nickname of the Washington football team. This is true, despite years of pressure to do so. That’s because the nickname of the Washington team is the Redskins, a term long considered a generalized slur against Native Americans, regardless of tribe.

https://slapthesign.com/2020/07/06/...ly&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

"Is it time to reconsider Notre Dame’s Fighting Irish nickname?"

NEVER!

Reactions: DublinND and rgc7
I'm sure there are a few students working on this crisis as we speak. They should have their thoughts organized by return to campus. The rest love this university with all their collective hearts, nickname and all.

Change to change? why because some idiot thinks everything needs too? screw this stupid ass idea!

It's not some idiot. It's money. Sponsors. Corporate sponsors that are driving this with a little nudging. At this point, team owners of all sports and university presidents are afraid of their own shadow. These people think twitter is America.

Reactions: Golson5 and G_a_r_y
I'm sure there are a few students working on this crisis as we speak. They should have their thoughts organized by return to campus. The rest love this university with all their collective hearts, nickname and all.
When the time comes the Pres will change the name and justify it by 'consulting' with a committee picked from those few students.

Fr Jenkins just did that with the Columbus mural. Even at a Catholic school, secular wokeness is dominant.

It’s not a bad topic. I don’t get the hate on Gary. The vast majority of football players at ND are black. They might not want that as their nickname.

It’s not a bad topic. I don’t get the hate on Gary. The vast majority of football players at ND are black. They might not want that as their nickname.

How would you know ?

Let me remind you of a fact.

Everyone who applies to Notre Dame knows that the University’s nickname is the “Fighting Irish” BEFORE they apply.

If the nickname offended them, they wouldn’t apply.

Fact # 2: You didn’t graduate from Notre Dame !

“The vast majority of football players at ND are black. They might not want that as their nickname“

Please tell me this is a joke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT