ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to reconsider Notre Dame’s Fighting Irish nickname?

how about just Notre Dame!
no mentions of:
sex, race, ethnicity, height, weight, dietary habit, bowel frequency, hair color, eye color, religion, views about extra terrestrials, medical conditions, marital status, criminal records, driver licenses or insurance status and fraud, brothers-in-law or sisters-in-law- immediate family, geographic location, political status or beliefs, lawn maintenance efforts, drug dependency, job/salary status, whether you rent or own, whether flatulence is a problem for you or others, ... miss anything?
Doesn't Notre Dame mean Our MOTHER?

The school has already pulled back using the term “Irish” instead of “fighting Irish” on apparel and other items. Not an official name change just easing in slowly.

why not change all the teams with dog nicknames. Bulldog Nicknames giving the breed a bad name.

If you think that the world owes you anything for being offended you are dead wrong.

The idiots behind most of this stupidity seem to think that way.

By the way, it is notable that virtually all the push for changing the redskins name comes from NON INDIANS.
Yes, it's almost as if native americans have developed a misplaced belief that the US government would be unsympathetic to their plights.

Reactions: twalsh
It’s not a bad topic. I don’t get the hate on Gary. The vast majority of football players at ND are black. They might not want that as their nickname.
It's NOT a democracy
Who cares what the players want
They're 18-22 yrs old ..
Getting a free education and free grub
They'll just hv to suck it up if they don't like it. along with every other misguided snowflake who'd like to float a trial balloon about changing the Fighting Irish to some other PC name

I think players and recruits care about their relationships with the coaches and the programs’ on field performance a hell of a lot more than the damn mascot or nickname. White progressive elites might find offense with the Fighting Irish nickname and mascot, but this obsession with identity symbolism has lost any connection with common sense. As I posted previously, I think the Administration has done a brilliant job defining the fighting Irish brand as fighting to find cures, fighting to solve problems in undeveloped countries, fighting for equality and Social Justice, etc... Leave the damn name alone!

I think players and recruits care about their relationships with the coaches and the programs’ on field performance a hell of a lot more than the damn mascot or nickname. White progressive elites might find offense with the Fighting Irish nickname and mascot, but this obsession with identity symbolism has lost any connection with common sense. As I posted previously, I think the Administration has done a brilliant job defining the fighting Irish brand as fighting to find cures, fighting to solve problems in undeveloped countries, fighting for equality and Social Justice, etc... Leave the damn name alone!

I actually don't think "progressive elites" find offense with the Fighting Irish nickname and mascot, and in general, I think very few people actually find it offensive.

Reactions: irishdave2000
The school has already pulled back using the term “Irish” instead of “fighting Irish” on apparel and other items. Not an official name change just easing in slowly.

why not change all the teams with dog nicknames. Bulldog Nicknames giving the breed a bad name.
This isn’t true. They have an entire ad campaign built around “What are you fighting for?” and it always ends with “We are the Fighting Irish”.

Reactions: tbonesays
I actually don't think "progressive elites" find offense with the Fighting Irish nickname and mascot, and in general, I think very few people actually find it offensive.
I hope you are right, and think you likely are With respect to the fighting Irish.

Coachella Valley High School in California changed their name from the Fighting Arabs to the Mighty Arabs. Could "Mighty Irish" be next?

I hope you are right, and think you likely are With respect to the fighting Irish.

I'm sure there are a handful of people who I suppose are bothered by it, but most of the people who claim they have an issue about it are mostly raising faux outrage, in my opinion.

Reactions: irishalice
Dan Snyder has been on the record as saying he would never change the nickname of the Washington football team. This is true, despite years of pressure to do so. That’s because the nickname of the Washington team is the Redskins, a term long considered a generalized slur against Native Americans, regardless of tribe.

https://slapthesign.com/2020/07/06/...ly&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email
No. No and No. And since you brought this up, what nicknames do you think the Notre Dame Fighting Irish should change to? Inquiring minds want to know

The problem starts with the Ireland Irish, who nowadays want to be British.
Only Northern Ireland which is England - lite. The Republic of Ireland does not want to be British. Here is some commentary from the Irish Post

Our nickname speaks to the spirit of how the football fought so valiantly in every game back in the day. Haters thought they were belittling ND, but ND turned it into a name of honor for the school and the Irish people in America too. No the NAME should never be changed in any fashion or form. WE ARE THE FIGHTIN' IRISH OF NOTRE DAME. I'm darn proud of it!

Last edited:
Ugh, sadly I wouldn't be shocked if it did get raised.

As for the Redskins.. I'll always call them the Redskins and if someone's offended, I don't care. I'm beyond caring about anybody's hurt feelings anymore.

iu

Ugh, sadly I wouldn't be shocked if it did get raised.

As for the Redskins.. I'll always call them the Redskins and if someone's offended, I don't care. I'm beyond caring about anybody's hurt feelings anymore.

iu

Okay, cool... but's that clearly a racial slur. It may not bother you, but it's a still a blatant racial slur. You just grew up with it, and American indians have already been more or less successfully genocided out of existence, so nobody gives a shit. I grew up with it too, I'd be lying if I said it 'bothered' me, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

So that's why we're going to change it. Just because it's the right thing to do. Better late than never. Your sentimental preference for something isn't a good enough reason.

Okay, cool... but's that clearly a racial slur. It may not bother you, but it's a still a blatant racial slur. You just grew up with it, and American indians have already been more or less successfully genocided out of existence, so nobody gives a shit. I grew up with it too, I'd be lying if I said it 'bothered' me, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

So that's why we're going to change it. Just because it's the right thing to do. Better late than never. Your sentimental preference for something isn't a good enough reason.
Everything this guy says is bullshit.

Everything this guy says is bullshit.
Is that all you have to say? It can't be, I knoooow you must be itching to speak your mind on this subject. Come on dude, let it out! Don't give me this nambypamby crap. You're too chickenshit to you say what you're REALLY thinking? I know you are, but I would love to see you lose your shit and just go off.

Let your love light shine right-winger!

It's not clearly a racial slur. Almost without exception the term's; racist, homophobic, sexist, etc are used by people who making an argument they cannot make with facts, logic or reason.

The Washington Post conducted 2 surveys of Native Americans, one in 2016 and another in 2019 and 90% were proud of the names.

2016 Poll
https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports...hows-9-in-10-Native-Americans-not-7725238.php

2019 Poll
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...redskins-name-finds-proud-most-common-answer/

The 2 Washington Post polls are nearly identical to a 2004 poll done by University of Pennsylvania.
https://www.annenbergpublicpolicyce...acceptable-while-9-percent-call-it-offensive/

Former Redskins player Sean Locklear who is Indian and a member of the Lumbee Tribe in NC says he was never offended and his grandfather who is full blooded Native American was a huge Redskins fan and they never found it offensive and actually were proud of it.
https://abc11.com/washington-redskins-nc-state-football-sean-locklear/6320341/

His sentiments are echoed by former Redskins player Gary Clark who took it upon himself to visit a reservation and find out first hand their opinions. His experience was the same as Locklear, most were Redskins fans and proud of the name.
https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/redskins-legend-gary-clark-says-name-not-derogatory

A little time educating oneself on the subject proves out the racist claim is not a "fact" as some like to claim. It's an easy attack where the accuser has to put in no effort to defend their argument and tries to put others on the defensive.

While I could not care less about the name of the Redskins team, its the out of control Political (in-)Correctness that I oppose. It's driving this country and it's people apart. We have become a country where people cannot interact with one another because a very small of individuals who are active on social media become offended about, well, everything. This leads to name calling, anger and hatred on both sides.

Generally the people 'offended' and 'outraged' by everything are self-entitled people with low self-esteem. Instead of finding ways to better themselves and find their own self-worth they engage in trying to destroy everything around them.

It's not clearly a racial slur. Almost without exception the term's; racist, homophobic, sexist, etc are used by people who making an argument they cannot make with facts, logic or reason.

The Washington Post conducted 2 surveys of Native Americans, one in 2016 and another in 2019 and 90% were proud of the names.

2016 Poll
https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports...hows-9-in-10-Native-Americans-not-7725238.php

2019 Poll
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...redskins-name-finds-proud-most-common-answer/

The 2 Washington Post polls are nearly identical to a 2004 poll done by University of Pennsylvania.
https://www.annenbergpublicpolicyce...acceptable-while-9-percent-call-it-offensive/

Former Redskins player Sean Locklear who is Indian and a member of the Lumbee Tribe in NC says he was never offended and his grandfather who is full blooded Native American was a huge Redskins fan and they never found it offensive and actually were proud of it.
https://abc11.com/washington-redskins-nc-state-football-sean-locklear/6320341/

His sentiments are echoed by former Redskins player Gary Clark who took it upon himself to visit a reservation and find out first hand their opinions. His experience was the same as Locklear, most were Redskins fans and proud of the name.
https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/redskins-legend-gary-clark-says-name-not-derogatory

A little time educating oneself on the subject proves out the racist claim is not a "fact" as some like to claim. It's an easy attack where the accuser has to put in no effort to defend their argument and tries to put others on the defensive.

While I could not care less about the name of the Redskins team, its the out of control Political (in-)Correctness that I oppose. It's driving this country and it's people apart. We have become a country where people cannot interact with one another because a very small of individuals who are active on social media become offended about, well, everything. This leads to name calling, anger and hatred on both sides.

Generally the people 'offended' and 'outraged' by everything are self-entitled people with low self-esteem. Instead of finding ways to better themselves and find their own self-worth they engage in trying to destroy everything around them.
It is clearly a racial slur. If you want to feel as if you personally are being called a racist by implication because you don't want it to be replaced, that's up to you. It doesn't change the fact that calling native americans 'redskins' is a racial slur. It obviously is.....

It has nothing to do with who or who isn't directly offended by it. It is by definition a racial slur. And that's why they're changing it. Nobody cares about American Indians, they have no power, and they are practically a historical relic. But they're not completely gone, and in any case the epithet 'redskin' is a racial slur. Can you imagine if native americans were still, like 20% of the population do you honestly think you'd ever get away with nicknaming a professional sports franchise the Redskins? Especially the nation's capital no less.

I didn't even read one word of your post. This is such a ridiculous argument, there's no reason to, and I can return to it if I'm ever curious what tortured logic you came up with to defend your position. In any case, you don't have to take it personally, that's your choice. But we're changing that name, because it's obviously a racial slur. It is incontrovertible.....

It is clearly a racial slur. If you want to feel as if you personally are being called a racist by implication because you don't want it to be replaced, that's up to you. It doesn't change the fact that calling native americans 'redskins' is a racial slur. It obviously is.....

It has nothing to do with who or who isn't directly offended by it. It is by definition a racial slur. And that's why they're changing it. Nobody cares about American Indians, they have no power, and they are practically a historical relic. But they're not completely gone, and in any case the epithet 'redskin' is a racial slur. Can you imagine if native americans were still, like 20% of the population do you honestly think you'd ever get away with nicknaming a professional sports franchise the Redskins? Especially the nation's capital no less.

I didn't even read one word of your post. This is such a ridiculous argument, there's no reason to, and I can return to it if I'm ever curious what tortured logic you came up with to defend your position. In any case, you don't have to take it personally, that's your choice. But we're changing that name, because it's obviously a racial slur. It is incontrovertible.....
You are wrong and I've presented you with data and empirical evidence to prove you wrong. You have presented nothing other than your opinion based on zero facts. Make a logical argument to support your claim. So me some data or some polls.

The truth is you are too lazy to go out and find facts and sit down and analyze the data you find to come up with a coherent opinion.

You didn't read anything I posted because you are a Low Information Citizen. It's too much effort to educate yourself and you are afraid you won't be able to defend your opinion.

You put no effort into researching and substantiating or refuting your beliefs.

My logic may be "tortured" but there is logic and facts presented in my argument. Your 'argument' (if you can call it that) is based on absolutely nothing.

Reactions: DublinND
You are wrong and I've presented you with data and empirical evidence to prove you wrong. You have presented nothing other than your opinion based on zero facts. Make a logical argument to support your claim. So me some data or some polls.

The truth is you are too lazy to go out and find facts and sit down and analyze the data you find to come up with a coherent opinion.

You didn't read anything I posted because you are a Low Information Citizen. It's too much effort to educate yourself and you are afraid you won't be able to defend your opinion.

You put no effort into researching and substantiating or refuting your beliefs.

My logic may be "tortured" but there is logic and facts presented in my argument. Your 'argument' (if you can call it that) is based on absolutely nothing.
You have not presented me with jack shit. I've listened to these sort of revolting, irrelevant excuses, and people like you have been given that courtesy and have had your opportunity to state your case. And now it's time to move on and we're changing the name. Because it's an obvious racial slur from a racist time, and so we're going to change the name! Real simple....

You have not presented me with jack shit. I've listened to these sort of revolting, irrelevant excuses, and people like you have been given that courtesy and have had your opportunity to state your case. And now it's time to move on and we're changing the name. Because it's an obvious racial slur from a racist time, and so we're going to change the name! Real simple....
Wait, you claimed you didn't read 1 word of my original post so how can you compare it to any other arguments you have claimed to have heard in the past?

Also the racism here is the privileged white guy speaking on behalf of all Native Americans. I suppose the Indians that don't agree with you are too stupid to have valid opinions.

You have not presented me with jack shit. I've listened to these sort of revolting, irrelevant excuses, and people like you have been given that courtesy and have had your opportunity to state your case. And now it's time to move on and we're changing the name. Because it's an obvious racial slur from a racist time, and so we're going to change the name! Real simple.."

I taught on the Navajo Reservation for three years and most Navajos I knew shared the same sentiment as Java posted. If you think the term is racist that is your opinion, and yes, that thought is shared by others On the flip side, there are those including Native Americans that don't think it's racist. It's okay to have differing opinions.

Reactions: Java65
I taught on the Navajo Reservation for three years and most Navajos I knew shared the same sentiment as Java posted. If you think the term is racist that is your opinion, and yes, that thought is shared by others On the flip side, there are those including Native Americans that don't think it's racist. It's okay to have differing opinions.
This is exactly what I am saying when people throw out claims of racists and offended as statements of facts.

Who get's to become the sole arbiter of what is racist or offensive?

ADVERTISEMENT