ADVERTISEMENT

Is Book the least of all QBs in the playoffs?

Zorich 88

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2006
Book vs. Murray and Tagovailoa and Trevor.

Yes, I am 100% biased. However, break down the stats/film.

Book can go toe to toe with each QB. He is not out of their league!

You can’t really compare total yards or total TDs because the offenses are totally different.

I look at completion %, picks and rating.
Book:
70.4%
Rating 162
Picks 6

Murray:
70.6%
Rating 206
Picks 7

Tagovailoa:
67.7%
Rating 202.3
Picks 4

Trevor:
64.8%
Rating 153.5
Picks 4

(158 is the max rating given to NFL QBs).

Book is in the same class as each QB. Book will shine on 12/29. Book will outplay Trevor on 12/29.

Reactions: SIhoosier26

You can’t really compare total yards or total TDs because the offenses are totally different.

Book:
70.4%
Rating 162
Picks 6

Murray:
70.6%
Rating 206
Picks 7

Tagovailoa:
67.7%
Rating 202.3
Picks 4

Trevor:
64.8%
Rating 153.5
Picks 4

Book is in the same class as each QB. Book will shine on 12/29. Book will outplay Trevor on 12/29.

Obviously, ESPN hasn't figured this out yet...

DueRa_3WwAE4jXl.jpg

Reactions: SIhoosier26

Book:
70.4%
Rating 162
Picks 6

Murray:
70.6%
Rating 206
Picks 7

Tagovailoa:
67.7%
Rating 202.3
Picks 4

Trevor:
64.8%
Rating 153.5
Picks 4

Good post, he's had a damn good year.

Ian can hang with Lawrence...

He is not Kyler or Tua… Just no.

You cherry picked 3 stats, and didn't even mention the fact that Ian started 8 games, compared to Tua and Kyler starting 13 games... You think Ian might have thrown a couple more interceptions had he played 5 more games?

Kyler and Tua outpaced Ian in every significant offensive category outside of completion percentage... The homer is deep in you.

Last edited:
TL can throw a football much faster than either Kyler or Tua can run.
TL is a 1 in a decade talent. Fortunately for ND it is not Book vs Lawrence; it is Clemson vs ND.

He’s not too far away from anyone p, especially when he csn run like he did in his first four games.

QB rating isn’t as good of a stat as QBR, which is all encompassing. Book is better than Lawrence (Lawrence is obviously the better pro prospect, but Book is the better QB right now), and not too far away from Tua and Murray though they are the class of the CFB world.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr

Styles make fights.

The style being offensive style of each team distorts these comparisons.

Book has those little passes dinking and dunking down the field down pretty damn good. He gets rid of the ball really quick. He seems to be able to take Kelly's horseshit too which has been an achilles heel of our QB's under BK.

He struggles with the deep pass. Part of that could be because we throw it short ALL THE TIME. So some of that could hurt.

The main thing about all the QB's you speak of is they don't lose the game for their team.

As far talent he's the worst of all the qbs. That being said he's one of the top 20 qbs in college football.

I think Book is ready to shine in the big game. He has that "it" factor that I haven't seen in a long time from an ND QB. But, I will say that I'm eager to see how he plays under the pressure in the playoffs. I hope the kid blows the lid off the place....

As far talent he's the worst of all the qbs. That being said he's one of the top 20 qbs in college football.
Really? I bet he doesn't think so nor should he.
You have the stop watch out measuring release time, a radar calculating accuracy, and have seen all four QB's play in all four systems?

Didn't think so.

Murray is the fastest of foot. That's a fact. But he's a smurf.

Lawrence is the tallest. Another fact.

Thats the only concrete in all this

Really? I bet he doesn't think so nor should he.
You have the stop watch out measuring release time, a radar calculating accuracy, and have seen all four QB's play in all four systems?

Didn't think so.

Murray is the fastest of foot. That's a fact. But he's a smurf.

Lawrence is the tallest. Another fact.

Thats the only concrete in all this

Of course he doesn't, any top athlete should think they're the best that's how they generally get to the position they are in.

Height has nothing to do with talent. There's a reason why those 2 of those guys are projected as top NFL picks. Tua and Lawrence are on a different level talent wise, Murray is a top 10 pick in baseball with a rocket arm and off the charts athleticism. Don't be a homer. It's not even close.

I think Book matches up about equally with Lawrence right now. Lawrence has the bigger upside, eventually. And even Tagovailoa's numbers are the product of the team he's on to some extent IMO. When you have tremendous talent around you and wide open receivers everywhere, it's easier to put up big numbers. He didn't look that great against Mississippi St and Georgia IMO, although I guess he was a little banged up in those games.

Murray's a tremendous playmaker. He deserved the Heisman IMO.

Reactions: 88ND
He may not be the best out of those 4... but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who is. . . There are some really good, young QB's in the playoffs..... amazing one will be in the minors for baseball next year.

Reactions: Riverside Irish
yes ... he would be picked last of the four by 99.9% of the country .... Book is a very good QB and fits our system but I would take any of those three in a straight up trade right now (although I would think about Murray because I don't care for short QB's and he is 5'9")

Ian can hang with Lawrence...

He is not Kyler or Tua… Just no.

You cherry picked 3 stats, and didn't even mention the fact that Ian started 8 games, compared to Tua and Kyler starting 13 games... You think Ian might have thrown a couple more interceptions had he played 5 more games?

Kyler and Tua outpaced Ian in every significant offensive category outside of completion percentage... The homer is deep in you.
Put Book on any of the three other teams and all Three, are still in the playoffs, correct?

You wanna mention Book not playing in three games? Ok, Tua was taken out of most games either early 3rd or all of 4th.

Bottom line, there is no drop off between Book and the other three.

Put Book on any of the three other teams and all Three, are still in the playoffs, correct?

You wanna mention Book not playing in three games? Ok, Tua was taken out of most games either early 3rd or all of 4th.

my personal preference I would take Lawrence, Tua, Book, than Murray but I prefer bigger QB's so take that into account ...

I don't know that and neither do you...

Oklahoma beat Texas Tech 51-46... Murray accounted for 460 yards and 4 TD's.
Oklahoma beat Oklahoma State 48-47... Murray accounted for 410 yards and 2 TD's.
Oklahoma beat West Virginia 59-56... Murray accounted for 478 yards and 4 TD's.

Oklahoma needed Heisman type performances from Murray in each of those games to be where they are. I sincerely hesitate to assume that Ian Book just passes for 350 yards and rushes for a 100+ yards like Murray did in those performances (66 yards vs Oklahoma State).

my personal preference I would take Lawrence, Tua, Book, than Murray but I prefer bigger QB's so take that into account ...

You'd take Kyler Murray last of those 4 in a college offense because he's short? Interesting.

Oklahoma beat Oklahoma State 48-47... Murray accounted for 410 yards and 2 TD's.

Oklahoma needed Heisman type performances from Murray in each of those games to be where they are. I sincerely hesitate to assume that Ian Book just passes for 350 yards and rushes for a 100+ yards like Murray did in those performances (66 yards vs Oklahoma State).

IIO it's pointless to make valid points. Our fans are blinded and just being fans.

Styles make fights.

The style being offensive style of each team distorts these comparisons.

Book has those little passes dinking and dunking down the field down pretty damn good. He gets rid of the ball really quick. He seems to be able to take Kelly's horseshit too which has been an achilles heel of our QB's under BK.

He struggles with the deep pass. Part of that could be because we throw it short ALL THE TIME. So some of that could hurt.

The main thing about all the QB's you speak of is they don't lose the game for their team.

And therein lies the problem for us (Clemson)...the strength of our D is (Captain Obvious here) the D-Line. The quick passing game neutralizes the opportunity for us to get home.

Concerns me, to say the least.

Reactions: 88ND

What do you mean I don’t know that? Just be honest and stop with the Book hate.

You know without a doubt with Book at QB, all three teams would be in.

You put Book, with a 70.4% completion rate, on a Dabo or Saban team, we all know they are in the playoffs.

You cannot compare the Irish offense and the Sooners offense. Two totally different styles.

Again, we all know you are not big on Book. You are shocked at how good he has played (I know I am). ND would not be 12-0 without Book.

You put Book, with a 70.4% completion rate, on a Dabo or Saban team, we all know they are in the playoffs.

You cannot compare the Irish offense and the Sooners offense. Two totally different styles.

Again, we all know you are not big on Book. You are shocked at how good he has played (I know I am). ND would not be 12-0 without Book.

"The Book hate"... Get off your knees man. I haven't said one hateful thing about the guy. One time I said "Book is playing like shit tonight" and the pitchforks come out. Give it a rest.

Not once this year has Kyler Murray played liked Book played in the first half of the Pitt or USC games... Had Murray played like that against any of the three teams I mentioned, with Oklahoma's defense, they would have lost a game or two along the way, without a doubt.

Be reasonable... Oklahoma is only in the playoffs because Murray has been unreal this year. To just assume that Book would have looked the exact same if he was the Sooners' starter is nothing but blatantly bad homerism. Book doesn't throw half as well as Murray downfield and he's not anywhere in Murray's league as a runner.

One thing for sure is Book will win or lose the next two games for ND. His play is key. I would say he is as least as good as Baker Mayfield and in the same system would have put up similar numbers.

Also, Ian Book is definitely the MVP of this team in terms of individual player, but if you really want to talk about the primary reason this team is undefeated, look no further than the 24-25 guys that contribute regularly on the defense... Keep in mind that Book didn't play in 25% of the games this year. In 3 of the 4 games, Notre Dame struggled to score points... You know showed up every single week? Clark Lea's group.

"The Book hate"... Get off your knees man. I haven't said one hateful thing about the guy. One time I said "Book is playing like shit tonight" and the pitchforks come out. Give it a rest.

Not once this year has Kyler Murray played liked Book played in the first half of the Pitt or USC games... Had Murray played like that against any of the three teams I mentioned, with Oklahoma's defense, they would have lost a game or two along the way, without a doubt.

Be reasonable... Oklahoma is only in the playoffs because Murray has been unreal this year. To just assume that Book would have looked the exact same if he was the Sooners' starter is nothing but blatantly bad homerism. Book doesn't throw half as well as Murray downfield and he's not anywhere in Murray's league as a runner.
All three teams would be in the playoffs with Book at QB. No doubt!

Book Hate: Meaning, you are the first person to point out everything wrong with Book. Have you ever given Book credit for ND being 12-0?

You mention Murray being the reason the Sooners are undefeated, what about ND not being 12-0 without Book?

Off my knees???

Simply pointing out Book is much better than people are giving him credit for.

You seem to be the one with maroon and white all around your mouth.

All three teams would be in the playoffs with Book at QB. No doubt!

Book Hate: Meaning, you are the first person to point out everything wrong with Book. Have you ever given Book credit for ND being 12-0?

You mention Murray being the reason the Sooners are undefeated, what about ND not being 12-0 without Book?

Off my knees???

Simply pointing out Book is much better than people are giving him credit for.

You seem to be the one with maroon and white all around your mouth.

I have not sensed any under appreciation for Book. Nothing of the sort.
You are creating the argument, then arguing it with no one.

Completely irrelevant. In 2014 J Winston and M Mariota were Heisman Winners.

Cardale Jones was a 3rd stringer and honestly I dont even remember Alabamas QB.

For a 2 game tournament Jones was the best thanks to having a great coach, great defense and a great supporting cast led by Zeke Elliott.

ND has the coaching, supporting cast and defense to beat Clemson with Ian Book at QB. Thats what matters in a 2 game & 4 team tournament

All the ass kissing of Murray, Tua and Lawrence is just that...meaningless ass kissing.

ND takes Lawrences first read away and you will have a Freshman QB patting the ball looking indecisive. Just like Georgia made Tua look in the SEC Title Game. And just like Saban & Co will make little 5"7 Murray look in the Orange Bowl.

Last edited:
“Not once this year has Kyler Murray played liked Book played in the first half of the Pitt or USC games”

I wonder if you watched every one of Murray’s plays the way you did book’s. He didn’t have any struggles against UCLA, army, isu, Texas or Kansas? His two turnovers against Texas early cost them an undefeated season. Every qb, even one that has put together one of the greatest seasons ever by a qb, has struggles at some point during a season. Two supposed bad halves against teams (Pitt & usc) that threw some exotic blitzes at him really doesn’t say all that much. I doubt many qbs would’ve excelled w/ the kind of pressure they were bringing. I really have no idea how each qb would do if they swapped teams, but it’d be an interesting watch. One qb played behind the best oline in football and threw to some of the speediest wrs in the country. The other played behind a good oline and some good wrs that don’t have the same top end speed.

I think Book probably is the 4th best QB in the playoffs, but I don't think it's as wide a gap as some are making it. I'm not sure if we traded Book straight up for Lawrence it would change the overall expectations of the game all that much.

Oops, private thread, sorry for the interruption.:mad:
Just funny you try to come to the defense of a poster when you do not know the full details. The poster I was referring to is not a Book fan and is waiting for his demise.

Keep the faith guys. We are battle tested I think our guys will come out with thier hair on fire. They see the disrespect from the E$pen talking heads, ND faced the ACC leading sack Duo when we played Syracuse. Have faith this game will come down to who wants it more. I take the IRISH.

Just funny you try to come to the defense of a poster when you do not know the full details. The poster I was referring to is not a Book fan and is waiting for his demise.

Understood. But still I have not seen criticism of Book; not even in his comments.

So I am just making this up?

IIO wanted BW. He gave various reasons why he wanted BW over Book.

How do I know and remember this? He and I were both saying the same thing.

I am a big BW fan. I did not believe Book was the man for the job. I have admitted I was wrong but others will not admit they were wrong and have said very little about how great Book has played.

So I am just making this up?

IIO wanted BW. He gave various reasons why he wanted BW over Book.

How do I know and remember this? He and I were both saying the same thing.

I am a big BW fan. I did not believe Book was the man for the job. I have admitted I was wrong but others will not admit they were wrong and have said very little about how great Book has played.

But all that was before game 4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT