ADVERTISEMENT

Interview with ND AD, Jack Swarbrick

IrishBlooded

All Star
Oct 2, 2009
LINK

Jack Swarbrick will wrap up his eighth year as director of athletics at Notre Dame in July, about a year before the Campus Crossroads project, one section of which towers over his office in the Joyce Center, is expected to be completed.

The Notre Dame alumnus sat down with Irish247 to discuss how the school plans to enhance its football facilities, where it is in the process of building a basketball facility, the status of the NCAA's investigation in the school's academic dishonesty scandal and others topics surrounding the state of Notre Dame athletics.

Details in part one are specific to football, future schedules and the basketball programs. Swarbrick expands on matters pertaining to Notre Dame’s role in the evolving world of college athletics in part two, which will run Friday morning.

Irish247: Brian Kelly’s new contract was announced a week before national signing day. Was timing a factor in when the announcement was made?

Jack Swarbrick: I understand why people think it would, but in point of fact it’s timed to our trustee meeting. The announcement was made at the conclusion of the trusting meeting, the university trustee meeting, and we don’t have any control over that schedule. It really was not driven by recruiting. Am I happy we could do it on that timetable? Yes, but it was all about the schedule for meetings over which we don’t have any control.

Irish247: Is the extension something you discussed before the season?

JS: This is the schedule in which we anticipated doing it for some time. I think in this industry you want the coach and the coaching staff to not get within two years, if you can, when you get to the last two years of the contract to be discussing the future. It’s a time in which we like to engage in the discussion. We discussed it before the year started, that at the end of the year we’d have a discussion about it.

Irish247: From your perspective, how comfortable and settled is Brian Kelly now versus where he was a few years ago?

JS: I think that Brian has an understanding and a comfort with coaching here that you can only acquire with time. In so many ways I see on a day-to-day basis him reflecting that comfort. I think he’s as centered as he’s ever been, and I feel great about that. It goes to one of Brian’s great strengths, and that is that he is always reexamining his approach and what he does, and how to get better. He has just continued to do that here, and part of the byproduct of that is not only building the program that fits the university so well but also understanding the university better.

Irish247: How important was it to bring in two Notre Dame alums (Todd Lyght and Autry Denson) when the football staff was looking at coaching options?

JS: You’re going to pick people because they’re the best coaches. That we could find people who are great coaches and Notre Dame grads is a big plus, not just because they understand the place, and they obviously do very well, but because they are passionate about what it’s done for them personally, and that at its core is what we talk to young men about; what the university will do to help them become men. And both of those individuals speak so eloquently and so passionately about that impact on their own lives. Again, they’ve got to be great coaches. But when you can find a great coach that understands that about this place, that’s a huge plus.

Irish247: Bruce Feldman of FoxSports.com reported that Notre Dame “is expected to also invest in facilities and other program enhancements to improve the student-athlete experience.” What are those improvements?

JS: When annually Brian and I review the program and talk about what the next areas of focus are, we have focused a lot on sports science in the past two years. We focused a lot on nutrition. As you start to get those things where you want them, you’re then looking at what are the next things. The [Guglielmino Athletics Complex] has reached an age where reinvestment in it is going to be important, and it goes to some of those other things. We need a better system for feeding the students in that facility. We need a better system for delivering some of the sports science services. So it’s just time as our approach to the program has changed, for the building in which we do it to catch up with those changes.

Irish247: What specific changes are being explored?

JS: We use our recruiting lounge for our training table now. We need a training table area that can be supported by a kitchen, so that’s an obvious nutrition one. We need sports science space where we can do some of the analytic work we’re doing, staff, some of that function, but also conduct some of the data gathering we want to do. And it’s time to reinvest in the weight room, so that’s another example. I could go on. It is taking those areas and having them sort of catch up with the reality of what we now do in them. They were designed for what you did in those spaces 16 or 17 years ago. How we’re using them has changed.

Irish247: Is there a timetable for when those changes will occur?

JS: It’s the sort of thing that will go on over a period of years. So if there’s something we can do this summer to begin to make improvements, we’ll do them. But we want to start the process. It won’t be like a new building coming out of the ground. It will be a number of things over the time that helps make the facility better.

Irish247: How close are you to finalizing the 2017 football schedule?

JS: We’re very close, and I am hopeful that it will be accompanied, as we did last time, with the release of [the schedule] for a number of years. I would be disappointed if we didn’t have that done by the end of the month. We may time it to the spring game, but we’ll be done soon.

Irish247: What is the likelihood there won’t be a Shamrock Series game in 2017 because of the Campus Crossroads project?

JS: I still think that’s likely. It hasn’t been fully settled, but that we will do—because of the opening of crossroads—do all the games here that year.

Irish247: And the Shamrock Series games would be continued in 2018, 2019…

JS: Yes.

Irish247: What is your priority when you schedule Shamrock Series game, in terms of the geographical location, venue and quality of opponent is concerned?

JS: All of those elements come into it. I don’t know that I can tell you a priority among them. You want to be in a market that makes sense for the university. Not for the football program, for the university. A place…either because of its catholic tradition or its history with Notre Dame, or in D.C. it’s the federal government relations, in cities where you can clearly articulate a university purpose and why it would benefit the university. That’s one piece of it.

The second piece of it is iconic venues. We love taking our team into great venues. It represents a nice marriage between the tradition and history of Notre Dame and the tradition and history of those venues. And then third is the opponent. The game we have come to discover I think works best is when you’re close to the opponent’s market. [Boston College] in Boston. Maryland in D.C. Arizona State in Dallas worked pretty well, so those are the three pieces that come together in the puzzle.

Irish247: After two cycles of the College Football Playoff, are you comfortable with Notre Dame’s status as an independent, without a 13th game? Or has anything altered your thinking?

JS: I’m very pleased with the way the CFP has operated in its first two years. It has realized much of the hopes that those of us on the managing committee had for it when we created it. We have always understood that there would be years in which our independence, in regard to not having a 13th game, may work against us. We understand that and we accept it.

Based on two years, you can’t evaluate the extent of that and how often or how much that may impact you. I continue to believe that as long as we continue to build schedules that are among the toughest in the country we’ll be OK. I was fascinated with an article that appeared online two days ago, ranking the toughest schedules in the country and they ranked I think the top seven or eight. We were an opponent for almost all of them, and I thought that said a lot. They were only ranking conference schedules, hence we weren’t a candidate to be one of the eight or 10. But they said Texas had one of the toughest schedules in the country, and of course they have us on it. Michigan State had one of the toughest schedules in the country. It was sort of an indirect confirmation of just how hard next year’s schedule will be.

Irish247: Is there an area of the country you’re focused on for placing the Shamrock Series game in 2018?

JS: No. Just having those pieces come together. You may have a venue and city you like, but you just can’t find the right opponent. You may have an opponent who’s interested, but you can’t find the right city. We’re going to continue to look at it as a university broadly. There may be the occasional year where we don’t have one or it takes a different form. I don’t know. We’ll just continue to look at it, but we believe in the concept.

Irish247: Has there been much communication with Michigan in regard to scheduling a game?

JS: There has been some, and as I’ve said many times, I have no doubt that Notre Dame and Michigan will play football again. I’ve never thought otherwise. And so we will certainly get there.

Irish247: There was discussion about the possibility of vacating wins as a penalty stemming from the academic dishonesty investigation. Where does the NCAA investigation stand?

JS: The NCAA process continues, which I think is important for people to remember. I think a lot of people sort of think with the resolution of the individual student situations the matter was over. It’s only when you’ve completed that does the NCAA process really begin, and so we have been in that process and it’s ongoing. I don’t have any way to predict the final resolution of it.

Irish247: Or the timetable…

JS: Yes. It’s an ongoing process.

(What's next for Notre Dame? Make sure you're in the loop -- take five seconds to sign up for our FREE Fighting Irish newsletter now!)

Irsh247: Where are you in the process of building a basketball facility?

JS: We’re in the planning stages and the fundraising stages. Both are critical elements of bringing it together. It is our very top facility priority as a department. I couldn’t agree more that we need it and we’ve got to get about getting it done. It’s one of the more complex facility developments I’ve been involved in here. Beyond telling you it’s our top priority and we’re working on it, I don’t have any news.

Irish247: Is the plan still to renovate the Rolfs Sports Recreation Center and have the facility there?

JS: That’s the sort of planning assumption. We’re testing it a little bit right now to whether it’s the right one. But we’re testing it now, because the new rec center will open in the west building of crossroads.

Irish247: Last summer Mike Brey said 2018-19 would be the earliest a basketball facility would be ready. Is that timetable still accurate?

JS: It probably is. My goal is to be sooner…I’m still working to see if we can’t get it done even sooner than that, but for planning purpose, that’s probably a reasonable working assumption.

Part two will run Friday morning.

"We discussed it before the year started, that at the end of the year we’d have a discussion about it."

Funny. We talked this year about having a talk next year.
Seriously funny.

Good interview except of course more continuation of the make excuses bullshit.

Seriously I'm so tired of hearing these backhanded excuses for not winning it all or being elite.

Either change the standards or just say nothing about them. Feel good excuses are getting quite old.

"We discussed it before the year started, that at the end of the year we’d have a discussion about it."

Seriously funny.

Seriously I'm so tired of hearing these backhanded excuses for not winning it all or being elite.

Either change the standards or just say nothing about them. Feel good excuses are getting quite old.

With the injuries we had this year and we still made a new years day bowl and your still whining like a little school girl? You have become another cgvr. Constant whining.
Sure, ND is not elite yet but they are getting close.

Reactions: Ara64
With the injuries we had this year and we still made a new years day bowl and your still whining like a little school girl? You have become another cgvr. Constant whining.
Sure, ND is not elite yet but they are getting close.
Apparently you don't follow along very well. I haven't whined one bit. I'm perfectly fine owning our non elite performance as of the last 20 years. Cgvr smashes his mirror in the bathroom every morning.

I on the other hand just want results and rid the excuses. Everyone has injuries. Academic standards? Either drop them or quit talking about them. We lose because we lose. Period. We are not losing because of injuries every god damn game or because of an SAT score.
Our standards may make it harder but so what. Do that much more than the next person and just get it done.

Seriously funny.

Phone number and email address to list your complaint.

How to reach Swarbrick

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT