ADVERTISEMENT

Ian Book

stu4don

I've posted how many times?
Dec 13, 2006
To the QB gurus/football experts out there:

What does Ian need to do on this off season to be the difference maker (a la Johnny Mariel) against teams like Clemson and Wisconsin next year? Especially vs. Clemson, teams that have more overall talent and depth (SEC and OSU types)?

He made improvements on the long ball and feeling the pocket this year but went backwards in completion percentage -- I know he can't get taller, but is there further development here?

What does Ian need to do on this off season to be the difference maker (a la Johnny Mariel) against teams like Clemson and Wisconsin next year? Especially vs. Clemson, teams that have more overall talent and depth (SEC and OSU types)?

He made improvements on the long ball and feeling the pocket this year but went backwards in completion percentage -- I know he can't get taller, but is there further development here?
Stu, I’m hardly a QB guru, but I think the areas that need improvement are the same as those you listed as areas where he did show improvement. To be more specific: pocket presence; going through the reads or progressions timely; willingness to hit seam passes; willingness and accuracy with long throws; keeping his eyes downfield when he does extend plays. I think the running ability he displayed post Michigan is an essential part of his game that is needed as well. Frankly, I don’t know if the improvement we all noted is real or fool’s gold; and I don’t think we’ll know one way or the other until he is up against a really good defense that applies consistent pressure up front. My gut tells me he won’t trust the pocket and he won’t show the willingness to throw knowing a hit is coming, and my heart tells me he will show huge improvement in these areas.

Stu, I’m hardly a QB guru, but I think the areas that need improvement are the same as those you listed as areas where he did show improvement. To be more specific: pocket presence; going through the reads or progressions timely; willingness to hit seam passes; willingness and accuracy with long throws; keeping his eyes downfield when he does extend plays. I think the running ability he displayed post Michigan is an essential part of his game that is needed as well. Frankly, I don’t know if the improvement we all noted is real or fool’s gold; and I don’t think we’ll know one way or the other until he is up against a really good defense that applies consistent pressure up front. My gut tells me he won’t trust the pocket and he won’t show the willingness to throw knowing a hit is coming, and my heart tells me he will show huge improvement in these areas.
I am even less of a QB guru, but what you said is exactly what I would think. It seems as if Ian never found the seam passes, or stepped into the pocket. Tends to look to scramble, but it works so I can't entirely fault him.

I am looking forward to his improvements and next season.

Everything

Reactions: amazingreis
coincidence or not he seemed to play looser and with more confidence after Long was distanced from the offense after the Michigan game. I have guarded optimism that trait carries forward into next season.

Reactions: Kelso86

...become faster and more naturally athletic! seethe problem there?

QB gurus? LOL! What you mean are average everyday fans who have an opinion. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

While Book possess limited physical gifts as a college quarterback, his primary issues reside above the neck.

Everyone has different tolerances for subjection to physical pain, sensitivity to criticism, and application of mental focus.

When observing Book play on the field it is clear he fears the anticipation of physical contact more so than the actual contact itself (as he shows a propensity for lowering his shoulder in the open field to pick up a first down). Until he can get over this fear it will continue to inhibit his ability to go through his progressions to identify the optimum receiving target. The severity of this anticipation fear is directly correlated to his perception of the quality of the opponent and the physical environment in which he is playing. Whether there is actual pressure in the pocket or not, he will bail more quickly against an opponent and in an environment like 2018 Clemson than he will against an opponent or an environment like 2018 Wake Forest (experience level has nothing to do with the matter so this issue will not resolve itself via more snaps).

Book also appears to be highly sensitive to experiencing what he would perceive as failure and he is also highly sensitive to hearing outside people make note of his failures. We have heard countless accounts of the coaching staff imploring him to take more calculated risks when selecting a receiving target even were it to at times result in an interception. Again, the degree to which he is willing to engage in this act is directly related to his perception of the quality of the opponent and the environment in which he plays in.

His sensitivity to outside criticism is also on display via his defensive and emotional displays on social media after the Va Tech game. He clearly lets outside criticisms get under his skin, even if it should come from people from which he is more skilled and doesn't know on a personal basis. This would be a clear indication of a higher than desired level of insecurity for a college quarterback.

His lack of improvement in reading defenses and going through progressions during the course of his career would also be indicative of a person who struggles to apply themselves mentally to their craft for the appropriate amount of time it would take to improve. Either that, or he lacks the inherent cognitive abilities to remedy the shortcoming. Whichever the situation may be, they will both result in a continued lack of improvement in the area.

Physically, Book may be able to add 3-5 pounds of good muscle mass that might result in a marginal improvement in his ability to absorb physical impacts; however his frame is near its limits already in that regard.

Unless Book can work on the mental factors at play that restrain him he will continue to have the same issues next year that he has displayed the past two years. It is very improbable that he will have the self reflection to identify these factors (although he already is aware of them at a certain level). If he does choose to become fully aware of them it will be highly unlikely that he will admit them to a third party to assist in improvement given his insecurity and sensitivity to criticism. If he does seek assistance in the matter from a third party they might be able to make marginal improvements between now and September.

I know its disappointing to hear, but the performance that we will see from Book against Clemson 2020 will be the same suboptimal performance that we have received from the position over the past two years against his perception of good opponents. But I'm sure he will perform smashingly against Navy, Western Michigan, and Duke.

While Book possess limited physical gifts as a college quarterback, his primary issues reside above the neck.

Everyone has different tolerances for subjection to physical pain, sensitivity to criticism, and application of mental focus.

When observing Book play on the field it is clear he fears the anticipation of physical contact more so than the actual contact itself (as he shows a propensity for lowering his shoulder in the open field to pick up a first down). Until he can get over this fear it will continue to inhibit his ability to go through his progressions to identify the optimum receiving target. The severity of this anticipation fear is directly correlated to his perception of the quality of the opponent and the physical environment in which he is playing. Whether there is actual pressure in the pocket or not, he will bail more quickly against an opponent and in an environment like 2018 Clemson than he will against an opponent or an environment like 2018 Wake Forest (experience level has nothing to do with the matter so this issue will not resolve itself via more snaps).

Book also appears to be highly sensitive to experiencing what he would perceive as failure and he is also highly sensitive to hearing outside people make note of his failures. We have heard countless accounts of the coaching staff imploring him to take more calculated risks when selecting a receiving target even were it to at times result in an interception. Again, the degree to which he is willing to engage in this act is directly related to his perception of the quality of the opponent and the environment in which he plays in.

His sensitivity to outside criticism is also on display via his defensive and emotional displays on social media after the Va Tech game. He clearly lets outside criticisms get under his skin, even if it should come from people from which he is more skilled and doesn't know on a personal basis. This would be a clear indication of a higher than desired level of insecurity for a college quarterback.

His lack of improvement in reading defenses and going through progressions during the course of his career would also be indicative of a person who struggles to apply themselves mentally to their craft for the appropriate amount of time it would take to improve. Either that, or he lacks the inherent cognitive abilities to remedy the shortcoming. Whichever the situation may be, they will both result in a continued lack of improvement in the area.

Physically, Book may be able to add 3-5 pounds of good muscle mass that might result in a marginal improvement in his ability to absorb physical impacts; however his frame is near its limits already in that regard.

Unless Book can work on the mental factors at play that restrain him he will continue to have the same issues next year that he has displayed the past two years. It is very improbable that he will have the self reflection to identify these factors (although he already is aware of them at a certain level). If he does choose to become fully aware of them it will be highly unlikely that he will admit them to a third party to assist in improvement given his insecurity and sensitivity to criticism. If he does seek assistance in the matter from a third party they might be able to make marginal improvements between now and September.

I know its disappointing to hear, but the performance that we will see from Book against Clemson 2020 will be the same suboptimal performance that we have received from the position over the past two years against his perception of good opponents. But I'm sure he will perform smashingly against Navy, Western Michigan, and Duke.
And the rest of us thought he was simply risk and pain adverse.

And the rest of us thought he was simply risk and pain adverse.

I think everyone can agree on that through observation already.

However, the original poster posed the question as to whether there could be improvements made.

Regrettably, as I have laid out in great and thorough detail, the likelihood of that is extremely minimal. Any point to the contrary would be pure speculation in the absence of any evidential facts which unfortunately cannot be presented as none exist as it pertains to the subject. Otherwise, it would not have been necessary to pose the question in the first place because we would already have a quarterback that would not perform suboptimal against the greater of our opponents and the more hostile of environments.

That is why one must question why Kelly continue with this current course of action, not much different than why one must question why the ND administration continue with its current course of action regarding Kelly's employment. They are very similar scenarios with the same unfortunate outcome--to define--losses to opponents ranked within the top 5 in the nation and therefore impeding any remote possibility of garnering a national championship which is the stated goal of the program.

The current course of action with which university conducts itself in manners regarding the football program is entirely irrational and illogical which I suppose is not to be unexpected given the decision makers vocational experiences and training. Which does not make the situation any less frustrating.

Whatever deadprez wrote was some of the most bloviated uninformed hogwash that I’ve read on the subject on this board, and that’s saying a whole hell of a lot.

Reactions: echowaker

His fear of failure did lead him to go 34-6, td-int. The six ints is a reason we were able to go 10-2 this year. I do believe Chip was in his ear and I also believe some teachers can cause players to freeze -- to play NOT to make a mistake. That is what I saw from Ian earlier in the season. I also saw a kid trying to stay in the pocket, trying to throw downfield -- overthinking rather than feeling the moment. After Chip (if M was after Chip) I saw a kid playing to his strengths. I think new blood (Moorehead) would help. But I think he can get there with TR.

I see Ian was ranked 34th this year. I see him as a top 15 Qb next. But to beat Clemson -- on that day in South Bend -- he will have to somehow be top 5. We have seen that happen before in CFB.

Final question. Watching the Saints yesterday, the Tayson Hill wrinkle was impressive.

Why not dial up a couple of packages for Phil? -- esp. inside the red zone. The kid has hops. He can run -- I remember being so impressed by his speed in high school. And he can also pass... Not sure why TR and BK wouldn't work him in somehow.

But what do I know? I'm just a crazed, obsessed fan who spends way too much time on this board!

Thanks guys for the back and forth.

His fear of failure did lead him to go 34-6, td-int. The six ints is a reason we were able to go 10-2 this year. I do believe Chip was in his ear and I also believe some teachers can cause players to freeze -- to play NOT to make a mistake. That is what I saw from Ian earlier in the season. I also saw a kid trying to stay in the pocket, trying to throw downfield -- overthinking rather than feeling the moment. After Chip (if M was after Chip) I saw a kid playing to his strengths. I think new blood (Moorehead) would help. But I think he can get there with TR.

I see Ian was ranked 34th this year. I see him as a top 15 Qb next. But to beat Clemson -- on that day in South Bend -- he will have to somehow be top 5. We have seen that happen before in CFB.

Final question. Watching the Saints yesterday, the Tayson Hill wrinkle was impressive.

Why not dial up a couple of packages for Phil? -- esp. inside the red zone. The kid has hops. He can run -- I remember being so impressed by his speed in high school. And he can also pass... Not sure why TR and BK wouldn't work him in somehow.

But what do I know? I'm just a crazed, obsessed fan who spends way too much time on this board!

Good point.

It would be negligent to ignore the potential impact a different coach may have on his psyche or how a previous coach may have negatively impacted it. One can hope that the positive change you are suggesting might transpire on the field of play.

The unknown variables are whether the change in the dynamic of Long's involvement with Book and the offense actually occurred (I have heard compelling third party accounts in both directions so I'm ambivalent about its occurrence or lack of occurrence) and we also had no true test subject over the remaining course of the season (an elite opponent) to support or disprove the hypothesis.

Unfortunately, we won't get any true answers until the Clemson game next year as unfortunately the schedule is again devoid of any volume of quality opponents in order to placate and prop up Kelly.

The suggestions for Phil appear intriguing and would no doubt work effectively under an appropriately skilled strategist such as Sean Payton. Regrettably, no such individual exists on the current staff and it would take a great leap of faith to expect Kelly to make such an addition given his ten year history of offensive coordinator hires.

Remember, Kelly has a very big and insecure ego and has a significant ego investment when it comes to the offense. These factors invariably result in him only hiring those that he feels are less knowledgeable than him and also those whom he perceives that the general public will also believe is less knowledgeable than him.

That type of hire gives his ego great comfort. It ensures that his cognitive abilities will not be challenged in actuality and also that no one will perceive that his cognitive abilities may be challenged. For under this dynamic he will presume that people will ultimately ascribe success to him the great mentor and ultimate mastermind or ascribe failure to inexperienced and incompetent coordinator that he tried his best to not get too involved wuth the offense.

Luckily, we do not run into this phenomenon on the defensive side of the ball as his ego investment is much smaller there. That is the reason why that side of the ball has been consistently better during his regime (except when he plucked the wrong weed from his coaching shrub and invariably did not fire until forced to). A similarly talented and experienced individual such as Mike Elko would never have been hired. Also, were a similarly successful young mind such as Clark Lea to begin transpiring in front of Kelly's eyes he would make every effort to sabotage and railroad his success for fear of a significant ego bruise. Remember, the current head coach of the Green Bay Packers who is considered one of the up and coming minds in the game was only allowed to remain on the staff for one season and did not speak favorably about his experiences. One can reasonably surmise that jealousy got the better of Kelly once he realized the coach's aptitude and potential and he proceeded in the manner in which I just described.

A similar phenomenon happened with Urban Meyer under Bob Davie (his ego encompassed both sides of the ball) and is pretty common across working relationships everywhere as most human beings don't possess very contained egos like say LSU current offensive coordinator with his relationship with Joe Brady or Dabo with Veneables. This is one of the chief limitations of Kelly's mental makeup that ensures he will never elevate the program to greater heights.

I too am enjoying our line of discourse and look forward to future interactions.

Thank you Dr. Flefenflecher. Your psychiatric analysis is spot on. So if you were Kelly what is your solution?

Can he get significantly faster? Stronger arm? No to both.

Courage. Can he find some? Dial up the wizard of oz if you must. But the courage problem is a gigantic problem.
You can be extremely athletic and evade certain hits...(he is not)
Or......

You need courage to step into the throw knowing full well you'll get a pummeling.

Throwing off the back foot...throwing or bailing on a play way too early is a killer. As in it kills our offense.

Trevor Lawrence doesn't just have physical gifts but he will hang in the pocket and take the big hit to make that huge completion.

Book is not close to that.

Reactions: deadprez3
Can he get significantly faster? Stronger arm? No to both.

Courage. Can he find some? Dial up the wizard of oz if you must. But the courage problem is a gigantic problem.
You can be extremely athletic and evade certain hits...(he is not)
Or......

You need courage to step into the throw knowing full well you'll get a pummeling.

Throwing off the back foot...throwing or bailing on a play way too early is a killer. As in it kills our offense.

Trevor Lawrence doesn't just have physical gifts but he will hang in the pocket and take the big hit to make that huge completion.

Book is not close to that.

Sobering to hear yet unfortunately true

Better running game - possible
Stronger arm - not happening
Increase speed - not likely
Improve mental game (pocket presence, reading defenses, etc) - more likely given his experience
He’s a good athlete and smart player so I expect him to improve in 2020 but his surrounding cast will have a big impact on his performance.

You have to remember that the looser Ian Book playing to his strengths was also the Ian Book playing against weaker competition. He also played well against New Mexico and Bowling Green in the first half of the season.

As a QB the biggest improvement he can make is learning to trust his reads/throw into windows and throw his receivers open. If he does that and throws the deep ball a little more accurately it will make for the biggest jump in performance between seasons.

So said. Spot on. Spoken like a warrior poet.
Wish I could believe Ian can accomplish these metrics. I don’t see it. Another lost year that could have been used to improve one of our young QBs

Last edited:
Blah, blah, blah. More made-up BS from some of the charter BBC members on this thread. Complaints about his speed now? Lol. You people are sick puppies, having to make shit up to bolster your hatred of a player has gotten beyond ridiculous.

Simple to say, tough for him to execute to date.

He has to show the poise, smarts, and will to win against good defenses the same way he does vs average/bad defenses.

I was down right shocked at how much he panicked vs Louisville in our season opener. It was clearly a case of things to come that culminated in UM and Tech game until the last few minutes of tech. Now, did he grow since then or did ND just play average at best defenses? We will see vs Wisconsin.

He has to do all the things we see him do vs average defenses vs good defenses.

-Extend plays with his legs when nothing is there
-use his legs to get tough first downs when needed
-make his legs be accounted for by the defense
-stay in pocket and make tough throws under pressure
-make throws over the middle of the field
-give playmakers a chance downfield
-read the RPO and Read Option correctly

No one is expecting him to be perfect any game, but the expectation is he shouldn't do these things good only vs bad defenses, he needs to do them good vs good defenses as well. ND averages over 40 next year if Book plays well vs the good teams.

Reactions: Telx1
You have to remember that the looser Ian Book playing to his strengths was also the Ian Book playing against weaker competition. He also played well against New Mexico and Bowling Green in the first half of the season.
A corpse would play well against those teams!

Reactions: amazingreis
challenging a players courage on a message board?

Don’t misinterpret instinctive reactions to being uncourageous.

Well, I spent half my organized football life chasing those lame butt QBs and the other half protecting our QB. I was nothing more than a good hs lineman who loves football. I guess we are fortunate that ND played 21 mediocre to bad opponents over the course of Book's career. Oh, we were even more lucky LSU lose interest in the 4th quarter of the Citrus Bowl while leading 14-6.
Scoring summary[edit]
Drive Team Scoring information Score
Plays
Yards TOP ND LSU
2 0:04 11 51 2:00 ND 46-yard field goal by Justin Yoon 3 0
3 11:37 5 43 2:16 LSU Derrius Guice 20-yard touchdown reception from Danny Etling, Jack Gonsoulin kick good 3 7
3 2:47 5 18 2:20 ND 49-yard field goal by Justin Yoon 6 7
4 11:13 12 75 6:34 LSU Derrius Guice 2-yard touchdown reception from Danny Etling, Jack Gonsoulin kick good 6 14
4 7:45 10 75 3:24 ND Michael Young 6-yard touchdown reception from Ian Book, 2-point pass good 14 14
4 2:03 12 76 5:46 LSU 17-yard field goal by Jack Gonsoulin 14 17
4 1:28 3 73 0:35 ND Miles Boykin 55-yard touchdown reception from Ian Book, Justin Yoon kick good 21 17
"TOP" = time of possession. For other American football terms, see Glossary of American footb---Wikipedia
My suggestions would be to make Book better in 2020: -keep the same offensive set up used against Iowa State. Don't repeat the same mistake after the Pinstripe Bowl. It's obvious communication completely broke down under Long and the team suffered. -the offensive line must play like they did against I St and better. -our young running backs must deliver the mail this fall. - it's time for our young receivers and tight ends to step up to the plate and become heroes, Claypool and Kmet have left the building. -Clemson, Georgia, and Michigan were team loses. The Clemson game would have been a lot closer if Love hadn't got injured. Clemson's great defense simply shut down Long's offense. Georgia shut down Long's offense again and the defense played awesome. Michigan was a complete system failure. ND blocked a punt and a defender messed up. ND didn't respond to that adversity. The million dollar question is why? We'll never really know the answer. It's time for the ND fanbase to follow Claypool and Kmet's example and move on. We've got a lot to look forward too in 2020. I turn 66 OMG!

Reactions: francade
As much as the Michigan loss sucked, I think it was a good thing for Book. Just a close loss to Georgia isn't a hard enough kick in the ass. I know some are saying the competition was weaker, but it wasn't horrible, and he played pretty damn good the rest of the season.

One thing that Book is well above average at is using his weapons. I really believe Tremble will be the most important part of the WR/TE group. He doesn't have the hands that Kmet has, but I do like his ability after the catch. If he can have a breakout year, it will create openings for the speed we will have at the WR position. Then if you couple that with a sustainable run game, we will have a very good offense.

Did he drastically improve this last season from the previous? If not, very unlikely he will. Certain players work their tails off in the offseason, realizing they only live once and must seize their opportunities. The vast majority spend off season eating pizza, drinking beer, and relaxing. No idea what kind of guy Ian is but he doesn’t come off as a gym rat like Brady Quinn was. Summer workouts and spring ball isn’t going to push the needle much. Huge improvement would come from a Spartan like lifestyle focused solely on improving as a qb.

Did he drastically improve this last season from the previous? If not, very unlikely he will. Certain players work their tails off in the offseason, realizing they only live once and must seize their opportunities. The vast majority spend off season eating pizza, drinking beer, and relaxing. No idea what kind of guy Ian is but he doesn’t come off as a gym rat like Brady Quinn was. Summer workouts and spring ball isn’t going to push the needle much. Huge improvement would come from a Spartan like lifestyle focused solely on improving as a qb.
I have no inside info, but I would guess that Book does work at his craft and conditioning in the off season. He is a disciplined young man whom I believe still dreams of playing on Sundays. The issue is whether we have seen his ceiling, added practice and effort notwithstanding.

A corpse would play well against those teams!

Book doesn’t dictate the schedule, he just plays the teams that the AD puts on the schedule.

it’s very difficult to win a football game, let alone 10 or more games in a season.

He can get a better coach.

“No idea what kind of guy Ian is but he doesn’t come off as a gym rat like Brady Quinn was”

He doesn’t “come off” as a gym rat? Lol. The bashers have found new lengths. Htf do you read if a player “comes off as a gym rat” again? Please enlighten all of us. You BBC members really need to get professional help and a life. When you wanna drive a narrative, just make shit up I guess.

reckless speculation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT