ADVERTISEMENT

I think Coan will be a difference maker this season

Quest4Twelve

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Aug 31, 2009
It took me awhile to appreciate what Book brought to the table. Last season he finally won me over.

With that said, I think if Coan is the QB against Clemson n the ACCCG I think the game is down to the wire. Coan just seems to be more of a "slinger". Book in that game reverted back to happy feet, pulling the ball down and looking to run. Overall I think Coan will be able to push the ball down the middle of the field.

Again not Book bashing. As a fan I was appreciative of his W-L record, putting ND on the map, etc.

It took me awhile to appreciate what Book brought to the table. Last season he finally won me over.

With that said, I think if Coan is the QB against Clemson n the ACCCG I think the game is down to the wire. Coan just seems to be more of a "slinger". Book in that game reverted back to happy feet, pulling the ball down and looking to run. Overall I think Coan will be able to push the ball down the middle of the field.

Again not Book bashing. As a fan I was appreciative of his W-L record, putting ND on the map, etc.
But Book was the greatest ND QB ever.

I was not excited when he committed. Then I watched his 2019 highlights and they were impressive. I also recalled how good he was in the Rose Bowl against Oregon. He gives Rees a lot to work with.

Reactions: Golson5
I was not excited when he committed. Then I watched his 2019 highlights and they were impressive. I also recalled how good he was in the Rose Bowl against Oregon. He gives Rees a lot to work with.

He's not the athlete that Book was and doesn't have the mobility, but he does throw a better ball and has a stronger arm imo. He's better than people think

Reactions: mbd11
He's not the athlete that Book was and doesn't have the mobility, but he does throw a better ball and has a stronger arm imo. He's better than people think
More importantly, he's patient, doesn't give up on reading the field, stays in the pocket, and goes over the middle

Hope so but hard to tell. The highlights are just that, the best he had. You could do that with any QB. He was beat out by a younger QB at Wisky so I can’t imagine he will be better than book who beat out every QB and took us to 2 CFP.

I would assume he probably is a step up from Pyne due to the size and experience.

He was hands down the best in the BG as far as consistency and he has a good % completion lifetime.

Hope so but hard to tell. The highlights are just that, the best he had. You could do that with any QB. He was beat out by a younger QB at Wisky so I can’t imagine he will be better than book who beat out every QB and took us to 2 CFP.

I would assume he probably is a step up from Pyne due to the size and experience.

He was hands down the best in the BG as far as consistency and he has a good % completion lifetime.
I think he is substantially different from Book so it will be hard to compare them. Coan's advantages appear to me to be height, seeing the field, arm strength and making quick decisions. Both have good completion percentages but Coan looks better going long.

I am hoping that Coan excels in the short passing game and then hits a WR for a big chunk play when the defense crowds the line. Mayer, Davis, Kyren and Tyree is why I expect a short passing game. Also a new OL.

Reactions: ftnfan62

He wasn't beat out. He was injured and unavailable.

He was injured, not beat out

As I understand, he was injured in October of 2020 and returned in December of 2020 to the team and never replaced Mertz. Yes, he originally lost his starting job to the injury but when he returned he could not unseat the freshman. He transferred to ND rather than be the backup to Mertz. So to be fair, he beat out the freshman to win the starting role in 2020, lost it to injury and left in 2021 as Mertz was not going to lose his starting job to Coan.

As I understand, he was injured in October of 2020 and returned in December of 2020 to the team and never replaced Mertz. Yes, he originally lost his starting job to the injury but when he returned he could not unseat the freshman. He transferred to ND rather than be the backup to Mertz. So to be fair, he beat out the freshman to win the starting role in 2020, lost it to injury and left in 2021 as Mertz was not going to lose his starting job to Coan.
Their season was over record wise and Mertz is the future. If we were in the same situation, Buchner would get those starts too.

He didn't beat out the freshman to win the job in 20. It was his job. He just got injured

Their season was over record wise and Mertz is the future. If we were in the same situation, Buchner would get those starts too.

He didn't beat out the freshman to win the job in 20. It was his job. He just got injured
I'm lost why this is even an issue. Coan took Wisky to the Rose Bowl in '19. Got hurt in '20 and Wisky buckled to the "Graham Mertz should start" train. From badger wire USA Today:

While Mertz’s talent is apparent and nobody would deny the fact that he has a bright future both in Madison and maybe at the next level, his presence has created an ambivalence towards Coan and what he has accomplished. This has then led to Coan’s improvement from 2018 to 2019 and his 2019 season, including a Big Ten-best completion percentage of 70%, to go largely unappreciated amongst Badger fans.

I think its all good football talk and i appreciate some back and forth. Its been rather dry here lately, so thank you Goslson5.

We all want him to be wildly successful, we all want him to win the Heisman. I just dont see a 12-6 record in the 3rd best conference who lost his spot to a talented frosh being near book. Which brings us back to I think Buckner will supplant him before the years end because with a new OL, you will need some feet.

I think its all good football talk and i appreciate some back and forth. Its been rather dry here lately, so thank you Goslson5.

We all want him to be wildly successful, we all want him to win the Heisman. I just dont see a 12-6 record in the 3rd best conference who lost his spot to a talented frosh being near book. Which brings us back to I think Buckner will supplant him before the years end because with a new OL, you will need some feet.
I dont think he lost his spot,he was injured and they chose to go with the younger guy over the guy whose career was coming to an end.

Like I said, using records as an indicator is silly and extremely flawed. If we are using records, I guess you would have took Book in college over Patrick Mahomes. I mean Book had a much better record, right.

If you switch the qbs Book wouldnt have as good of a record at wisky as he did at ND. And Coans record would have been better here than his was at Wisky.

We are more talented than them so we should have a better record

They usually have one of the best lines in the country. ND does as well. We run an RPO type offense, they do not. L

No arguing about his completion %, let’s just hope the line can give him some time.

Well I hope you are right. I hope he is big time. I however, am very much concerned about him. I hope Buchner starts ASAP.

I continue to meet Wisconsin fans who all say he was very average at best

What I have seen in the practice videos —. And we have to assume what ND chooses to share is the good stuff —. Is a guy who has balls batted down, tipped, passes broken up, interceptions, and a few nice balls caught

I’m very concerned he can derail our season in games 1-3

Well I hope you are right. I hope he is big time. I however, am very much concerned about him. I hope Buchner starts ASAP.

What I have seen in the practice videos —. And we have to assume what ND chooses to share is the good stuff —. Is a guy who has balls batted down, tipped, passes broken up, interceptions, and a few nice balls caught

He was shown the door at Wisconsin…enough said!

Reactions: theskibro

We arent losing in games 1 thru 3. That's just not happening

Reactions: IrishMike409
I live in Jax Fl, just caught a run down of FSU.....sounds like they went hard at the portal to fill some holes....they do have the QB from UCF that tossed for 9k yards in 3 years pre-injury, yea...thats a real number.

They also picked up a UGA DT, have one a first round DT.......The locals feeling is the secondary is still an issue, the front 7 will be elite. The offense has a top RB and now QB, but it was their primary concern that they cannot move the ball because their OL is not good at all (according to the beat reporter).

So there you have it.....leaky secondary, great front 7, OL suspect and a top QB. They did keep their coaches from leaving this year so some continuity. Feels like this team is still very much rebuilding.

Coan threw for 2700 yards with a 70% completion rate in 2019. He had 18 TDs against 5 interceprions. 10-3 record with a 28-27 controversial loss in the Rose Bowl. We know he can move an offense and generate yards and points with his arm.

I live in Jax Fl, just caught a run down of FSU.....sounds like they went hard at the portal to fill some holes....they do have the QB from UCF that tossed for 9k yards in 3 years pre-injury, yea...thats a real number.

They also picked up a UGA DT, have one a first round DT.......The locals feeling is the secondary is still an issue, the front 7 will be elite. The offense has a top RB and now QB, but it was their primary concern that they cannot move the ball because their OL is not good at all (according to the beat reporter).

So there you have it.....leaky secondary, great front 7, OL suspect and a top QB. They did keep their coaches from leaving this year so some continuity. Feels like this team is still very much rebuilding.
The former UCF QB is McKenzie Milton who hasn't seen live game action in 2+ years. He was a very good QB at UCF however it's my opinion Scott Frost/Josh Heupel have a very QB friendly system.

He will be a bit game rusty for sure but 9k is 9k. Guy can sling it.

The former UCF QB is McKenzie Milton who hasn't seen live game action in 2+ years. He was a very good QB at UCF however it's my opinion Scott Frost/Josh Heupel have a very QB friendly system.
Milton should have a good season and is an upgrade to the other QBs on the roster. However, he had a serious injury and like you mentioned, hasn't played in 2 years.

I've heard some mixed reviews from Wisonsin fans but the concensus amongst the Wisconsin media guys is that Coan should be as good or better than Mertz this season. The feeling is that Mertz can provide a similar level of success and build towards an even better Junior and Senior season. It's not so much that Coan lost the job as Mertz has the advantage of extra time. If they switched positions, Coan would be at Wisconsin and Mertz would be transferring.

I dont think he lost his spot,he was injured and they chose to go with the younger guy over the guy whose career was coming to an end.

Like I said, using records as an indicator is silly and extremely flawed. If we are using records, I guess you would have took Book in college over Patrick Mahomes. I mean Book had a much better record, right.

If you switch the qbs Book wouldnt have as good of a record at wisky as he did at ND. And Coans record would have been better here than his was at Wisky.

He did lose to Illinois and threw a crucial interception on a possible game winning drive. Book never had a bad loss like that in his three years as ND's starting QB.

A great college QB is much different than being a great pro QB. Tony Rice was an exceptional college QB who never sniffed the NFL. Pat Connaugton was ND's third or fourth option in college, but has turned out to have the best pro career. Apples and oranges.

A great college QB is much different than being a great pro QB. Tony Rice was an exceptional college QB who never sniffed the NFL. Pat Connaugton was ND's third or fourth option in college, but has turned out to have the best pro career. Apples and oranges.
Connaughton was the best player on NDs elite 8 team. Absolute stud and difference maker on both ends. Was not 3rd or 4th option.

I never heard of Jack Coan until he transferred to ND. That very day, after studying film of Captain Jack, and seeing his stats, I proclaimed him the frontrunner to win the Heisman !
He will not only win the Heisman but he will win by the biggest landslide since Bush beat Gore !

The guy is the PERFECT quarterback ! Tom Brady look out ! Your Goatherd is in jeopardy !

*** The guy plays a GREAT game ! Accuracy ! Toughness ! Pocket Awareness ! And Balls out Leadership !! You are going to be strutting like a Prize Rooster after this season !
He is the QB we have been waiting for !

*** Sorry !! I can't hide my excitement on this !!

Reactions: sluggo69
So you would have took Book over Mahomes in college? That would have been beyond stupid

He did lose to Illinois and threw a crucial interception on a possible game winning drive. Book never had a bad loss like that in his three years as ND's starting QB.
Coan crushed Michigan 35 to 14 in 2019

Book lost to Michigan 45 to 14 in 2019

I dont consider that a bad loss. I consider that a terrible loss. And Book had the better team.

Coan has to play good for us to win all our games…. That’s obvious but I don’t think any qb on roster can do that now. Pyne doesn’t have the talent and Buchner is too green.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Are the Noles wringing their hands over whether he was injured or simply beaten out for the job?
Yep, getting stifled through the first two or three quarters spares you the embarrassment of choking on the final drive.

Coan has to play good for us to win all our games…. That’s obvious but I don’t think any qb on roster can do that now. Pyne doesn’t have the talent and Buchner is too green.
If book was able to do it, Coan could as well

I’m hoping that whoever plays the position can play it as well as book. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT