ADVERTISEMENT

I think Coan will be a difference maker this season

Coan is the best overall option at QB, at least to start the season. The real issue at QB is how the coaches allowed ND to be in the dicey position it was in before Coan committed. Had that not happened...things would be in a considerable downgrade, imo.

Last edited:
Coan is the best overall option at QB, at least to start the season. The real issue at QB is how the coaches allowed ND to be in the dicey position it was in before Coan committed. Had that not happened...things would in a considerable downgrade, imo.
Lack of qb recruting and the mishandling of Phil. I have hopes for Angeli but the question is can we develop him?

“Mishandling” of Phil. Here we go again.

What should they have done with Phil? Play him over Book?
They didn't have to. But after the Michigan debacle and Long was nurtured and Rees took over Phil got maybe one or two more snaps the rest of the year and I think one pass. Once Rees was named OC Phil knew he would never see the field and Book was Rees' boy and he was not going to get developed and he was dead at ND. Very evident after he announced his transfer and Book tweeted "and the circle gets tighter" and Rees pounded the like button. Very unbecoming of a captain and a coach. But it worked out for Phil. He has pretty much the same stats that Book had in his first year with half the talent. He's better off at BC.

They didn't have to. But after the Michigan debacle and Long was nurtured and Rees took over Phil got maybe one or two more snaps the rest of the year and I think one pass. Once Rees was named OC Phil knew he would never see the field and Book was Rees' boy and he was not going to get developed and he was dead at ND. Very evident after he announced his transfer and Book tweeted "and the circle gets tighter" and Rees pounded the like button. Very unbecoming of a captain and a coach. But it worked out for Phil. He has pretty much the same stats that Book had in his first year with half the talent. He's better off at BC.
He is better off at BC. He’s been given the job, and there’s no pressure. If they go 6-6, but he puts up great stats.....He’s happy and no one complains. Perfect scenario for a guy like Phil.

It worked out for ND too. You may remember ND was in the playoffs last year. FTR, Jurkovec was 18 out of 40 against ND, with an interception.

Lack of qb recruting and the mishandling of Phil. I have hopes for Angeli but the question is can we develop him?
What do you like about Angeli? I don't get why we aren't recruiting QBs with at least a descent amount of athleticism.

What do you like about Angeli? I don't get why we aren't recruiting QBs with at least a descent amount of athleticism.
I think he flew under the radar. After watching his film he has great arm talent. Maybe not as mobile as Ty. He has a great offer list too. He's now a four star and his trending upward and plays in a tough league.

Reactions: IrishMike409
It worked out for ND too. You may remember ND was in the playoffs last year. FTR, Jurkovec was 18 out of 40 against ND, with an interception.
Yes with a partly seperate shoulder that he got against Clemson behind a very weak OL that had 8 yards rushing for the game But he had two TDS also. But overall he had a good year and should be better this year.

There is a reason that Book played at ND instead of Jurkovec. It had nothing to do with a separated shoulder.
What are you talking about? He separated his shoulder while at BC during the Clemson game. What does that have to do with his time at ND?

What are you talking about? He separated his shoulder while at BC during the Clemson game. What does that have to do with his time at ND?

It has to do with thus statement from your post above:

Once Rees was named OC Phil knew he would never see the field and Book was Rees' boy and he was not going to get developed and he was dead at ND.

It has to do with thus statement from your post above:

Once Rees was named OC Phil knew he would never see the field and Book was Rees' boy and he was not going to get developed and he was dead at ND.
I still don't know how this is germane to PJ seperating his shoulder at BC.

It took me awhile to appreciate what Book brought to the table. Last season he finally won me over.

With that said, I think if Coan is the QB against Clemson n the ACCCG I think the game is down to the wire. Coan just seems to be more of a "slinger". Book in that game reverted back to happy feet, pulling the ball down and looking to run. Overall I think Coan will be able to push the ball down the middle of the field.

Again not Book bashing. As a fan I was appreciative of his W-L record, putting ND on the map, etc.
No chance Coan will be as good as Book. The Book haters will be missing him dearly this season. Reality will hit in a few weeks.

No chance Coan will be as good as Book. The Book haters will be missing him dearly this season. Reality will hit in a few weeks.
So you're going on record that our passing game wil take a big hit? I love the fact that Coan at least will at least be able to get the ball down field and we might at least be a threat for some go routes lol.

Mayer, Davis, Keys and Styles played slot last year and in the spring. Davis plays small slot I say. Mayer big slot and TE. Austin possession receiver. Styles and Keys play flanker.

The announcers really complimented Keys in the spring game. He was 5-14, Davis was 7-9, Keys has to develop chemistry with the QBs. He just hasn't.

Colzie is my surprise pick for a receiver emerging.

Coan can't do it alone. He needs guys like Book had as a redshirt sophomore,² Boykin,Finke and Claypool. I am only confident in Davis and Mayer right now. Coan's RBs are better receivers than Book's RBs were.

Last edited:
Coan is the best overall option at QB, at least to start the season. The real issue at QB is how the coaches allowed ND to be in the dicey position it was in before Coan committed. Had that not happened...things would be in a consi e ctraderable downgrade, imo.
I think we have to get used to it. With easy transfers and 'NIL' money available, qb transfers will be normal.

I think he flew under the radar. After watching his film he has great arm talent. Maybe not as mobile as Ty. He has a great offer list too. He's now a four star and his trending upward and plays in a tough league.
Maybe not as mobile as ty? That’s like Rees vs book being close in mobility. I see solid arm but not great or elite. Lack of mobility worries me. He’s not Rees slow but I think the floor should be book athleticism, and he’s not close to book.

Maybe not as mobile as ty? That’s like Rees vs book being close in mobility. I see solid arm but not great or elite. Lack of mobility worries me. He’s not Rees slow but I think the floor should be book athleticism, and he’s not close to book.
You'd be eliminating a lot of good qbs if the floor has to be Book athleticism. And I'm not a Book guy

You'd be eliminating a lot of good qbs if the floor has to be Book athleticism. And I'm not a Book guy
In context we're talking about pocket passer tree trunks. The Tom Bradys are in one category. Anyone outside that corrall shouldn't be considered unless he can move at least as fast as Book.

And has BK even had a profile of tree trunk QB while at ND? Dayne Crist (Weis leftover) Kiel (never came).

Exactly. We need Great! I personally believe you need some athleticism at QB as a weapon the D has to be concerned about to be competitive in the CFPs, unless you have Alabama talent. We do not.

In context we're talking about pocket passer tree trunks. The Tom Bradys are in one category. Anyone outside that corrall shouldn't be considered unless he can move at least as fast as Book.

And has BK even had a profile of tree trunk QB while at ND? Dayne Crist (Weis leftover) Kiel (never came).
I think Coan has Deshone Kizer type of athleticism. Remember, ND offered Coan a scholarship for Lacrosse. That isn't consistent with a lack of mobility. Plus, if you look at the Coan's highlights in this thread, he runs pretty well. In fact, I was surprised at the speed he showed. It just isn't his game. He doesn't have Book's quickness.

Rees allegedly said Coan will run some. Might be a misdirection comment.

Reactions: tbonesays
I think Coan has Deshone Kizer type of athleticism. Remember, ND offered Coan a scholarship for Lacrosse. That isn't consistent with a lack of mobility. Plus, if you look at the Coan's highlights in this thread, he runs pretty well. In fact, I was surprised at the speed he showed. It just isn't his game. He doesn't have Book's quickness.

Rees allegedly said Coan will run some. Might be a misdirection comment.
Coan has solid athleticism. Probably a little faster than Ian, but not as quick or shifty.

Coan has solid athleticism. Probably a little faster than Ian, but not as quick or shifty.
Wow- you think he’s faster than Book? That would be a pleasant surprise. Book seemed to have the ability to escape pressure and avoid sacks. Coan looks stiffer and more upright.

If the OL is good, then Coan could thrive, given his skill set.

“Wow- you think he’s faster than Book? That would be a pleasant surprise. Book seemed to have the ability to escape pressure and avoid sacks. Coan looks stiffer and more upright.”

He’s not. Book ran in the high 4.5s, Coan closer to 4.8. Coan is a good athlete but isn’t faster, quicker or shiftier. I think coan will be plenty athletic enough though. If we can mesh quickly, considering a new line and qb, we can be a good offense.

Reactions: IrishMike409
So you're going on record that our passing game wil take a big hit? I love the fact that Coan at least will at least be able to get the ball down field and we might at least be a threat for some go routes lol.
Yes. I am. I don’t dislike coan. But he’s not going to be better than book. I’m going on the record.

Yes. I am. I don’t dislike coan. But he’s not going to be better than book. I’m going on the record.
Well I hope you're wrong. For our sake anyway. I'm hoping we see a much different offense this season. I hope we can at least stretch the field. Of we have injuries at the WR position again and our lack of depth there it could be a long season. I want to see some freshman get their chances also!

Exactly. We need Great! I personally believe you need some athleticism at QB as a weapon the D has to be concerned about to be competitive in the CFPs, unless you have Alabama talent. We do not.
I looked at the last 4 years of first round QBs and Book is probably more athletic than half of them

Wilson, Mac Jones, Daniel Jones, Haskins, Darnold, Rosen

Hes simlar athletically to Burrow, Tua, Mayfield

I think we just need a more talented QB whether its a mobile guy or pocket passer.

Reactions: irish4life9999
I'll go on the record and say our offense will score around the same but probably more this year than last. And Coan will be the QB. So take that however you want to. I'm going on the record

I'm going on record to say Cohan will start. That's about it. I'm not sure about Cane Madden sp? I think he's not a three technique guy and don't think he can play run zone.

I'll go on the record and say our offense will score around the same but probably more this year than last. And Coan will be the QB. So take that however you want to. I'm going on the record
Possible. Williams is awesome. Tyree will be even better this year. Mayer improved. We have good players. Coan is sound and experienced. A solid guy to spread the ball around to playmakers. I thin we will run the ball more this season. Not a bad thing. Coan had success in a run first offense. I think the more we run the ball the more success he will have.

Possible. Williams is awesome. Tyree will be even better this year. Mayer improved. We have good players. Coan is sound and experienced. A solid guy to spread the ball around to playmakers. I thin we will run the ball more this season. Not a bad thing. Coan had success in a run first offense. I think the more we run the ball the more success he will have.
Listening to the interview of Rees with Bryan Driskell yesterday Rees sounded like he definitely wants to get Mayer more involved. Sounds like if he gets his way he'll get more guys on the field earlier. I certainly like to see that. He seemed to be high on Madden but I would be cautious. This is a whole new level.

Reactions: NotreDame du Lac
We're going to be more aggressive this year than last. Throw the ball down the field more. We'll throw more this year than last year

Reactions: echowaker
Coan will not have the same weapons at receiver that Book had. He may be required to thread the needle a bit more than Book had to do. I just don't see him throwing it up where only the receiver can get it...the passing will need to be more precise; and he won't have that scramble option that Book had. Blocking...getting rid of the ball on time....and occasionally throwing it away or handing it off will be necessary.

We're going to be more aggressive this year than last. Throw the ball down the field more. We'll throw more this year than last year
We shall see. I disagree as we have the 4th ranked RB tandem in the nation. Any pass happy offense in that case is a lousy coaching strategy.

Reactions: NCDomer1
ADVERTISEMENT