ADVERTISEMENT

I Really Hope Rees is Taking Notes

Yes, they have elite players, but Sark's offense is innovative, sneaky smart and keeps defenses on their heels.

We had about a third of that playbook.

I think Rees is paying attention. But Rees has the Irish playing smashmouth football and we got our biggest win against the #1 team in Clemson since 1993.
Rees is going to be a Great one.

Watching this game shows how bad book and Rees were

Watching this game in the context of your comment proves that your football IQ is ZERO !

How would you compare the ND receivers to the OSU receivers ?

Fields as 17 for 33, 51.5 % CP
Book was 27 for 39, 69.2 % CP

Alabama beat OSU by 28 points and pulled Jones with 3:43 left and without their best receiver, Smith and without their outstanding defensive back for most of the second half.

ND had a TD nullified by a dumb motion penalty and a missed FG, neither of which were Book’s fault.

ND out performed OSU.

As to Sark, his lengthy experience and CV is significant to say the least.
he was a Head Coach at Washington, USC and now Texas.
He was the OC with the Atlanta Falcons and the QB Coach with the Oakland Raiders.
That’s an unusual resume.

So tell us how did watching this game show how bad Book was ?

You know nothing about football !

Last edited:
I think Rees is paying attention. But Rees has the Irish playing smashmouth football and we got our biggest win against the #1 team in Clemson since 1993.
Rees is going to be a Great one.

yawn!

GUILT only dreads Liberty of Speech, which drags it out of its lurking Holes, and exposes its Deformity and Horrour to Day-light.

be vigilant!

I get the feeling that BK and Rees right now are adopting the Seahawks approach. Physical defense and OL. Offense based on running game. Take some shots downfield when the defense crowds the box.

That is not what we have been seeing on playoff teams for a number of years. It is more like Stanford's Ogre offense. We hired Chip Long to change that. Hopefully, Rees gets more innovative when we get some receivers and a dual threat QB.

Reactions: randerson55
Watching this game in the context of your comment proves that your football IQ is ZERO !

Alabama beat OSU by 28 points and pulled Jones with 3:43 left and without their best receiver, Smith and without their outstanding defensive back for most of the second half.

ND had a TD nullified by a dumb motion penalty and a missed FG, neither of which were Book’s fault.

ND out performed OSU.

He was the OC with the Atlanta Falcons and the QB Coach with the Oakland Raiders.

And all that means nothing if you don't score. It was obvious in the playoffs Rees was over his head. He will continue his on the job training at NDzcut his teeth, and be a good coach which he can parlay that into a head coaching job somewhere else. But comparing Rees to Sark it's not even close.

I get the feeling that BK and Rees right now are adopting the Seahawks approach. Physical defense and OL. Offense based on running game. Take some shots downfield when the defense crowds the box.

That is not what we have been seeing on playoff teams for a number of years. It is more like Stanford's Ogre offense. We hired Chip Long to change that. Hopefully, Rees gets more innovative when we get some receivers and a dual threat QB.
It won't really matter if we refuse to run RPOs as part of your game plan. Many are still trying to understand why we don't call those, or screens when other teams load the box. We got away with that playing lesser teams and just out talented them. But when we played with the big boys it showed. Did you see how Alabama used the RPOs and screens to nutralize OSUs pressure packages? Masterful!

Ok

Tommy Rees is not the OC that Sark is as of yet.

A guy who has been a HC at major programs for 5 years and is 15 years older .

Got it.

Reactions: Kelso86
And all that means nothing if you don't score. It was obvious in the playoffs Rees was over his head. He will continue his on the job training at NDzcut his teeth, and be a good coach which he can parlay that into a head coaching job somewhere else. But comparing Rees to Sark it's not even close.

Who compared Rees to Sark ?

Would you cite the post and identify the poster.

How was it obvious that Rees was over his head ?

I believe that Echowaker indicated that Sark was light years ahead of Lea !

ND had a TD taken off the board due to a motion penalty, a motion penalty not attributable to Rees.

Scoring is a by-product of player execution.

OSU benefited from an Alabama fumble deep in Alabama territory

It won't really matter if we refuse to run RPOs as part of your game plan. Many are still trying to understand why we don't call those, or screens when other teams load the box. We got away with that playing lesser teams and just out talented them. But when we played with the big boys it showed. Did you see how Alabama used the RPOs and screens to nutralize OSUs pressure packages? Masterful!

You’re missing the critical element !

You need the TALENT in order to execute those plays.

Did you see Devante Smith or Harris or Jones in an ND uniform ?

You’re missing the critical element !

You need the TALENT in order to execute those plays.

Did you see Devante Smith or Harris or Jones in an ND uniform ?
No argument they have better talent. But are you seriously arguing ND does not have enough talent to run a screen?

Who compared Rees to Sark ?

Would you cite the post and identify the poster.

How was it obvious that Rees was over his head ?

I believe that Echowaker indicated that Sark was light years ahead of Lea !

ND had a TD taken off the board due to a motion penalty, a motion penalty not attributable to Rees.

Scoring is a by-product of player execution.

OSU benefited from an Alabama fumble deep in Alabama territory
It's been implied here many times. The Rees homers seem to think that the play calling has been awesome.

Sark called a great game. You could see his NFL background using motion and formations to get Smith open and/or lined up in matchups he wanted.

He also had the Davey O’Brien, Doak Walker, and Biletnikoff/Heisman winner to execute his plays.

We’ll start to see what we’ve got with Rees next year. I loved Ian, he was a great kid who worked his butt off and achieved more than anyone thought he could. However, he did have limitations throwing the ball downfield. I don’t know if it was physical or mental, but the lack of a downfield and especially an intermediate passing game really caused the offense to struggle when teams just loaded up the box the last few years.

Sark called a great game. You could see his NFL background using motion and formations to get Smith open and/or lined up in matchups he wanted.

He also had the Davey O’Brien, Doak Walker, and Biletnikoff/Heisman winner to execute his plays.

We’ll start to see what we’ve got with Rees next year. I loved Ian, he was a great kid who worked his butt off and achieved more than anyone thought he could. However, he did have limitations throwing the ball downfield. I don’t know if it was physical or mental, but the lack of a downfield and especially an intermediate passing game really caused the offense to struggle when teams just loaded up the box the last few years.
Yes good player development sweeping the awards!

ND out performed OSU.

Please stop using completion percentage as some be all,end all data point when comparing quarterbacks. Its embarrassing.

Good coaches understand what they have and try to attain the best version they can of that. Attempting to fit a square peg in a round hole ultimately is unsuccessful. Bama has elite level skill players ND does not. Not one ND skill position player on offense would likely crack the two deep at Alabama. Other positions yes,not the skill spots.

No argument they have better talent. But are you seriously arguing ND does not have enough talent to run a screen?
I can tell for a fact that they didn't run many of them because Book doesn't execute them well. It doesn't play to his strengths.

Yes because their players are adept at it. Notre Dames were not. Not that hard to figure out.

I can tell for a fact that they didn't run many of them because Book doesn't execute them well. It doesn't play to his strengths.
I don't even know what to say to that one. I mean obviously I have no experience playing the QB position, but how much natural talent does it take to execute a screen play? Sorry, but I think some responsibility has to be on the coaches. This is not a Rees bash, but come on really?

I don't even know what to say to that one. I mean obviously I have no experience playing the QB position, but how much natural talent does it take to execute a screen play? Sorry, but I think some responsibility has to be on the coaches. This is not a Rees bash, but come on really?
I think that comment was about RPOs.

ND out performed OSU.

OSU had a bobbled ball TD taken back at side, then another bobbled ball TD removed.

So by your logic OSU scored 38 points.

Look Bama is clearly the best team in the nation, you had to outscore them and create turnovers to have a remote chance at winning. ND did not take that approach, they took an approach that gave them about .01% chance of winning, but wouldn't let Bama score 50.

I don't think that is true at all. I think most have simply stated it was his first year, and that he was working with the talent and resulting limitations at WR accordingly.
What limitations at WR? ND Wrs made plays all year when given the chance. Yes they aren't wide open like Smith, but pretty much every other wr for osu or bama not smith wasn't very open and made contested catches, something ND wrs and tes proved they could do, but weren't given the chance vs clemson part 2 and bama.

Good coaches understand what they have and try to attain the best version they can of that. Attempting to fit a square peg in a round hole ultimately is unsuccessful. Bama has elite level skill players ND does not. Not one ND skill position player on offense would likely crack the two deep at Alabama. Other positions yes,not the skill spots.
Tremble, Mayer, and Williams would have played. Williams fits Sarks game planning with his ability to catch out of backfield. Everyone else, probably not.

What limitations at WR? ND Wrs made plays all year when given the chance. Yes they aren't wide open like Smith, but pretty much every other wr for osu or bama not smith wasn't very open and made contested catches, something ND wrs and tes proved they could do, but weren't given the chance vs clemson part 2 and bama.
Slow, Average. Not very quick or explosive.

IT does take a QB that doesn't panic, you have to let line and or blitz through and get into your face. Again, book panics under these situations and rushed a lot of screen passes this year, he did hit 1 vs bama that went for about 25 yards.

Reactions: echowaker
Rees did a very good job this year and he will get better and better.

Reactions: tbonesays
Slow, Average. Not very quick or explosive.
Other than Smith....... Bama wrs (since waddle was injured) aren't overly explosive, they were not running open at all, jones threw them open.

To think bama last year had Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, and Waddle. OMG!

Folks need to realize that games play out like they do. You can't daisy chain these things and say so and so would win because so and so did this against them. OSU smashed Clemson, who smashed ND. What does that mean in a ND vs OSU matchup? It doesn't matter.

What I take away from the game last night is that Bama did a great job getting their guys the ball in open space and let them make plays. ND has to do a better job of that next season. I would love to see more screens but I'm not a coach.

Folks need to realize that games play out like they do. You can't daisy chain these things and say so and so would win because so and so did this against them. OSU smashed Clemson, who smashed ND. What does that mean in a ND vs OSU matchup? It doesn't matter.

What I take away from the game last night is that Bama did a great job getting their guys the ball in open space and let them make plays. ND has to do a better job of that next season. I would love to see more screens but I'm not a coach.
ND is a program built on ensuring we beat the teams we are clearly more talented than. Game planning, recruiting, etc need to change to be able to consistently beat teams in the top 15. Kelly knows it, they've just failed at QB, and have struggled at times with WR and DB.

Reactions: nptb
Bama just has more horses. CFB is about the recruiting. ND’s recruiting has been solid under BK. Bama’s recruiting under Saban is elite. That’s the difference.

Reactions: HuddleBurger
The best coaches ( HC and Coordinators ) excel at maximizing the strengths of their best players and minimizing their weaknesses. I felt that Kelly and Rees and Lea did just that this past season. There is a huge talent gap between ND and the other three playoff teams at the skill positions, but I think we may be on the cusp of bridging this on offense with the likes of Williams and Mayer and Johnson and Styles and Buckner, etc... I feel we are way behind with respect to our defensive secondary, and hope that Mickens and Freeman close this gap quickly. The one positive I took from last night’s game was that our ND Lewis looking slow and taking poor angles on Smith all during the Rose Bowl, was replicated by the Ohio St players last night as well. In other words, Smith is lightening fast and just flatly makes others look slow; so, perhaps Lewis has more potential than I gave him credit for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT