ADVERTISEMENT

I Really Hope Rees is Taking Notes

Yep. As far as I’m concerned getting to the playoffs is our ceiling. This team has achieved as much if not more than Bama. Our kids are playing above their potential. We have great coaches and great kids.

Expectations to win a title are very unrealistic. Anyone that follows recruiting and coaching knows that Bama has the best coaches and the best recruits. To beat them you have to recruit as well. If recruiting improves drastically we have a shot. By drastically I mean matching Bama in recruiting every other year. To do that, something earth shattering has to happen. I have no solution for this. I don’t want lower expectations academically. Weis showed it’s possible to recruit at an elite level. Maybe ND needs to pay millions to someone like Weis to head recruiting.

It doesn’t really matter how people feel about this. It’s just a fact that ND or any other team like Oklahoma that makes the playoffs will never win it all with such inferior recruiting. I’m happy with 10 wins. Ecstatic to make the playoffs. We are achieving a lot with our kids. I think that’s why BK wins coach of the year. Everyone knows he’s outperforming Saban. I truly believe if Saban was at ND we’d be a lesser team. BK is really good. My only issue with him is subpar recruiting.

I also believe if BK was at Florida, Ohio State, or Georgia, he’d have at least one title by now.
WTF are you talking about. Kelly outperforming Saban. 7 National Championships at this level to zero. Those coach of the year trophies are the only trophies he has in his office. Big deal.

How do figure Saban coming here makes ND a lesser team? He would win at least one NC here probably using Kelly's own players. He's a great coach. He turned over his whole staff since 2017 and still won the title. I know you're in love with Brian Kelly, but please stop the nonsense.

If you can get ND to the playoffs, you should be able to win at least one playoff game at some point. Getting there is half the battle. Quit making excuses for the guy. All this success this guy has had and he still can't get a Top 5 recruiting class. You should be asking why can't Kelly, who most of you would argue has a better coaching pedigree than Kirby Smart, Coach O at LSU, and Clay Helton, among others, can't grab at least one Top 5 class? Why do these mopes out recruit Kelly? The program puts players in the NFL. He wins games. He has gotten his team to the playoff. Success should breed more success which ultimately leads to the brass ring. It hasn't for Kelly.

I know you will come up with a myriad of excuses, but why after 11 years hasn't he gotten it done.

WTF are you talking about. Kelly outperforming Saban. 7 National Championships at this level to zero. Those coach of the year trophies are the only trophies he has in his office. Big deal.

How do figure Saban coming here makes ND a lesser team? He would win at least one NC here probably using Kelly's own players. He's a great coach. He turned over his whole staff since 2017 and still won the title. I know you're in love with Brian Kelly, but please stop the nonsense.

If you can get ND to the playoffs, you should be able to win at least one playoff game at some point. Getting there is half the battle. Quit making excuses for the guy. All this success this guy has had and he still can't get a Top 5 recruiting class. You should be asking why can't Kelly, who most of you would argue has a better coaching pedigree than Kirby Smart, Coach O at LSU, and Clay Helton, among others, can't grab at least one Top 5 class? Why do these mopes out recruit Kelly? The program puts players in the NFL. He wins games. He has gotten his team to the playoff. Success should breed more success which ultimately leads to the brass ring. It hasn't for Kelly.

I know you will come up with a myriad of excuses, but why after 11 years hasn't he gotten it done.
Saban wasn't great at Michigan State... one good season and a lot of 6-5 seasons. Dantonio was better. Saban is certainly great now however, not so sure he could win one with all of NDs recruiting restrictions.

Reactions: NotreDame du Lac

Disagree. Kelly has achieved more with less. BK has us at #5 with mediocre recruiting. Saban has Bama at 1 with #1 recruiting. Saban is achieving the expected. BK is moving the needle when we should be ranked #10 or so based on recruiting. That’s why he’s coach of the year. Coaches get it.

Saban wasn't great at Michigan State... one good season and a lot of 6-5 seasons. Dantonio was better. Saban is certainly great now however, not so sure he could win one with all of NDs recruiting restrictions.

Nick Saban is obviously the GOAT but I doubt he would be a fit here and equally doubt he would have any interest in being the HC here.

Nick Saban is obviously the GOAT but I doubt he would be a fit here and equally doubt he would have any interest in being the HC here.
Easy to be the goat when the talent is all in your lap. I think BK would have as many titles if he were in Sabans shoes.

I've been a fan of BK since he arrived. However, I feel next season will be a rough year for ND fans.

How many of you will be ready for a change if we lose to USC, Cinci, Wisc, and UNC next year? I think it's very possible we lose 4 games.

I've been a fan of BK since he arrived. However, I feel next season will be a rough year for ND fans.

How many of you will be ready for a change if we lose to USC, Cinci, Wisc, and UNC next year? I think it's very possible we lose 4 games.
Those should be 4 wins.

Nick Saban
Recruiting. He's a great recruiter. Makes him a great coach, but great coaches look even better when the have the best players. Hence Tom Brady at Patriots.
So you're saying he would or wouldn't get better recruits than Kelly at ND? If he gets better recruits would that not give him a better chance at winning a title than Kelly at ND. Not sure how people are saying Saban wouldn't do better than Kelly at ND. Saban had won a title, and coached in the NFL before going to Bama. Kelly won a division 2 title, and had a really good season at Cincinnati.

Why not put the shoe on the other foot? Could Kelly manage at least one Natty at Alabama with all of that #1 talent Saban has had?

Why not put the shoe on the other foot? Could Kelly manage at least one Natty at Alabama with all of that #1 talent Saban has had?
Don't know...... He's failed at developing the QB position. The most important position.

Any years with BVG as DC, NO

Nick Saban

So you're saying he would or wouldn't get better recruits than Kelly at ND? If he gets better recruits would that not give him a better chance at winning a title than Kelly at ND. Not sure how people are saying Saban wouldn't do better than Kelly at ND. Saban had won a title, and coached in the NFL before going to Bama. Kelly won a division 2 title, and had a really good season at Cincinnati.

He was the HC at LSU----huge difference between LSU and Bama in terms of who you can recruit and who you can't right ?

:):):):)

Seems like 2021 schedule is not very hard. I suppose it is a good year to replace the QB and 4? starters on Oline

You all know that recruiting in the SEC is about recruiting business owners to hire the cruit's parent?

Maybe 1.
Of course, Saban has 6 during his time there, but Kelly maybe could get 1 during the same time frame.

Nick Saban

I’m just trying to give the guy some credit. I don’t think he’d recruit much better at ND without his Bama NC rings to show off to recruits. I think Saban is probably better as a recruiter. He made Bama the monster it is by recruiting unlike anyone else. I do think BK would have 6 titles if he were at Bama and recruited as well as Saban. Perhaps Saban could recruit better at ND than BK? ND is a different place. If so, he’d do better than BK at ND. Recruiting matters a lot! BK however is doing more than Saban with less talent. It’s harder to make the #15 talented team play to #5 than it is to make the #1 talented team play at #1. Saban isn’t moving the needle. In fact, he’s lost title games meaning he underperformed based on talent. The needle is there before the season even starts for Bama. If ND finished #10-15 every year people would be pissed. If Saban loses a title game every other year people forgive him. He’s not playing to his level of talent when he gets beat by Clemson, Ohio State, FSU, or LSU.

There are shitty coaches like Harbaugh that consistently get beat by lesser talented teams. Then there are great coaches like BK that out perform their recruiting ranking year after year. Then there are the the icons like Saban that nobody can say much negative about because they perform about as well as expected.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT