ADVERTISEMENT

I Really Hope Rees is Taking Notes

I don't even know what to say to that one. I mean obviously I have no experience playing the QB position, but how much natural talent does it take to execute a screen play? Sorry, but I think some responsibility has to be on the coaches. This is not a Rees bash, but come on really?
It's what I ve been told by a former ND staffer who's still connected. Not everyone one does everything well.see Fields horrible attempt on the screen last night ?

Mac Brown was no more heralded than QBs ND has recruited and when you check him vs. Jack Coan there really isn't that much of a difference in size, weight, (rivals rating) Coan has more experience coming into his last year... The difference (this year) was the skill positions and as people have said Sark's scheme of getting them in space. We had not one WR on the field this year who compared (save Mayer.) Ben, McKinley, Austin -- great kids but not elite talent.

That said, I still believe Tommy needs to deepen and modernize his playbook. Someone said it very well -- what he is doing will beat 95% of the teams on our schedule but when we play the big boys... (and look out for USC next year) -- we're going to have to do more.

I believe in Tommy Rees! I believe he has the smarts, skills and desire to become the best in the biz. We'll see.

Mac Brown was no more heralded than QBs ND has recruited and when you check him vs. Jack Coan there really isn't that much of a difference in size, weight, (rivals rating) Coan has more experience coming into his last year... The difference (this year) was the skill positions and as people have said Sark's scheme of getting them in space. We had not one WR on the field this year who compared (save Mayer.) Ben, McKinley, Austin -- great kids but not elite talent.

That said, I still believe Tommy needs to deepen and modernize his playbook. Someone said it very well -- what he is doing will beat 95% of the teams on our schedule but when we play the big boys... (and look out for USC next year) -- we're going to have to do more.

I believe in Tommy Rees! I believe he has the smarts, skills and desire to become the best in the biz. We'll see.
I think he will too. I just didn't' want to see him cutting his teeth at ND. I think a year or two under an experienced OC would have been a lot better for him, and us!

🤣🤣🤣at that point he forgot how to coach. Was it at 10 am? Thanks for providing board laughs.
solid is not great..... and coaches can have terrible game plans....... Rees had two of them in a row, when he had two weeks to prepare, and made no noticeable adjustments in game.

solid is not great..... and coaches can have terrible game plans....... Rees had two of them in a row, when he had two weeks to prepare, and made no noticeable adjustments in game.
Rees is 11-2 since becoming OC. The two games he lost were against Clemson (2 national championships in the last five years) and Alabama (3 national championships in the last six years.) There are a lot of great OCs in the country who have not done well against those two teams.

Give the kid a break. Not many people on this site would have predicted 11-2, 10-0 after losing ALL of his playmakers on offense except Book. He will get better.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat

Brown is light years better than Coan. The way he processes what he sees and always makes the proper read in a fashion much quicker than others. He can make every throw with accuracy,velocity and touch when needed. Remarkable performance this year.

Was it at 11:00 am on the 19th? Silly.

Other than Smith....... Bama wrs (since waddle was injured) aren't overly explosive, they were not running open at all, jones threw them open.

To think bama last year had Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, and Waddle. OMG!
Metchie would be our number 1 guy

Rees is 11-2 since becoming OC. The two games he lost were against Clemson (2 national championships in the last five years) and Alabama (3 national championships in the last six years.) There are a lot of great OCs in the country who have not done well against those two teams.

Give the kid a break. Not many people on this site would have predicted 11-2, 10-0 after losing ALL of his playmakers on offense except Book. He will get better.
I'm sure he will, but are you agreeing this is a learn on the job with Rees? If so, do you agree with it? ND just hired the top available DC........ on the flip side with OC, we promoted an internal favorite of BK that had accomplished next to nothing coaching.

Brown is light years better than Coan. The way he processes what he sees and always makes the proper read in a fashion much quicker than others. He can make every throw with accuracy,velocity and touch when needed. Remarkable performance this year.
It's all super fast decision making, pre and post reads of defense, confidence, stepping into throws, etc.

Other than size, his arm wasn't even that much stronger than book. IT's why i kept on saying books biggest weakness is mental.

LOL, the coach for North Carolina. I think he played QB in his freshman year in HS in 67. But I meant Mac Jones obviously. That's what I get for posting before coffee!

Reactions: tbonesays
And all that means nothing if you don't score. It was obvious in the playoffs Rees was over his head. He will continue his on the job training at NDzcut his teeth, and be a good coach which he can parlay that into a head coaching job somewhere else. But comparing Rees to Sark it's not even close.

Comparing Sark the Carrol assistant to Sark the Saban Rehab Graduate may not be close. If Lane Kiffin is anything to go on then USC's coordinators blow goats as head coaches until they spend some time with Saban.

Tremble, Mayer, and Williams would have played. Williams fits Sarks game planning with his ability to catch out of backfield. Everyone else, probably not.

Same goes for treating Sark as the DC when he was Bama's OC. 😛

Last edited:
LOL, the coach for North Carolina. I think he played QB in his freshman year in HS in 67. But I meant Mac Jones obviously. That's what I get for posting before coffee!

well good, cause CoachBrown can’t reach the sidelines from the near hash!

Reactions: irish4life767
I think he will too. I just didn't' want to see him cutting his teeth at ND. I think a year or two under an experienced OC would have been a lot better for him, and us!
He coached two years under Chip Long who was an experienced OC.

No maybe about it
He’s a sophomore.... he would have had to beat out a 25 year old grad transfer that Kelly preferred. I say that somewhat jokingly. Minchie is a fine WR, but he's not Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, or Waddell.

Last edited:
Please stop using completion percentage as some be all,end all data point when comparing quarterbacks. Its embarrassing.
Its sort of embarressing to want to be looked at as some wanna be coach then to come to the table with completion percentage.

Poster has proven to be clueless. Just block his nonsense.

I'm sure he will, but are you agreeing this is a learn on the job with Rees? If so, do you agree with it? ND just hired the top available DC........ on the flip side with OC, we promoted an internal favorite of BK that had accomplished next to nothing coaching.
As a coach you're always learning. If not you're not doing your job.

It's all super fast decision making, pre and post reads of defense, confidence, stepping into throws, etc.

Other than size, his arm wasn't even that much stronger than book. IT's why i kept on saying books biggest weakness is mental.
Totally disagree on the arm comparison. That kid can hum it when he needs to. He doesn't force anything. Best thrower I saw this year, by a wide margin.

Bama just has more horses. CFB is about the recruiting. ND’s recruiting has been solid under BK. Bama’s recruiting under Saban is elite. That’s the difference.
Yep. As far as I’m concerned getting to the playoffs is our ceiling. This team has achieved as much if not more than Bama. Our kids are playing above their potential. We have great coaches and great kids.

Expectations to win a title are very unrealistic. Anyone that follows recruiting and coaching knows that Bama has the best coaches and the best recruits. To beat them you have to recruit as well. If recruiting improves drastically we have a shot. By drastically I mean matching Bama in recruiting every other year. To do that, something earth shattering has to happen. I have no solution for this. I don’t want lower expectations academically. Weis showed it’s possible to recruit at an elite level. Maybe ND needs to pay millions to someone like Weis to head recruiting.

It doesn’t really matter how people feel about this. It’s just a fact that ND or any other team like Oklahoma that makes the playoffs will never win it all with such inferior recruiting. I’m happy with 10 wins. Ecstatic to make the playoffs. We are achieving a lot with our kids. I think that’s why BK wins coach of the year. Everyone knows he’s outperforming Saban. I truly believe if Saban was at ND we’d be a lesser team. BK is really good. My only issue with him is subpar recruiting.

I also believe if BK was at Florida, Ohio State, or Georgia, he’d have at least one title by now.

Last edited:
Yep. As far as I’m concerned getting to the playoffs is our ceiling. This team has achieved as much if not more than Bama. Our kids are playing above their potential. We have great coaches and great kids.

Expectations to win a title are very unrealistic. Anyone that follows recruiting and coaching knows that Bama has the best coaches and the best recruits. To beat them you have to recruit as well. If recruiting improves drastically we have a shot. By drastically I mean matching Bama in recruiting every other year. To do that, something earth shattering has to happen. I have no solution for this. I don’t want lower expectations academically. Weis showed it’s possible to recruit at an elite level. Maybe ND needs to pay millions to someone like Weis to head recruiting.

It doesn’t really matter how people feel about this. It’s just a fact that ND or any other team like Oklahoma that makes the playoffs will never win it all with such inferior recruiting. I’m happy with 10 wins. Ecstatic to make the playoffs. We are achieving a lot with our kids. I think that’s why BK wins coach of the year. Everyone knows he’s outperforming Saban. I truly believe if Saban was at ND we’d be a lesser team. BK is really good. My only issue with him is subpar recruiting.

I also believe if BK was at Florida, Ohio State, or Georgia, he’d have at least one title by now.
Indeed we don't know how well Saban would do with lesser talent. I guess 2003 LSU was the only year he won it all while being outgunned.

Saban has created a first-class program that churns out Nattys and NFL players. His players play hard yet without needless bluster or posturing -- like they belong there and their accomplishments are expected, the usual, so no need for chains or dances or poses. Wins are enough. Gotta give it to Saban. He's the best of all time.

He’s a sophomore.... he would have had to beat out a 25 year old grad transfer that Kelly preferred. I say that somewhat jokingly. Minchie is a fine WR, but he's not Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, or Waddell.
He's much better than anyone we have

Saban has created a first-class program that churns out Nattys and NFL players. His players play hard yet without needless bluster or posturing -- like they belong there and their accomplishments are expected, the usual, so no need for chains or dances or poses. Wins are enough. Gotta give it to Saban. He's the best of all time.
Doesn’t emptily talk about Championships ....just goes out and wins them!

Indeed we don't know how well Saban would do with lesser talent. I guess 2003 LSU was the only year he won it all while being outgunned.
Someone needs to shake up college football. That’s why I’m not totally opposed to seeing Urban at USC. The Bama dynasty is good for Bama but bad for college football. It’s getting boring for fans.

There have been dynasty's in sports forever.

When I was growing up there were the Yankees , the Celtics , the Canadiens .

Eventually things changed----it will be the same with Bama.

Saban is almost 70-----at some point soon he steps down. Hard to believe that his replacement continues the same success level. They won't fall off the cliff but they'll drop some IMO.

You could call the Pats a dynasty-----that star is starting to wane.

And if he isn't you'll blame the HFC so we'll put that in the " can't miss " column

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT