ADVERTISEMENT

I never ever blame the officials

You are correct. They've favored the Hokies since their coach took the penalty in the first half.

I watched 10 minutes and saw three bad calls. But ND made its bed and now it must lie in it. Conferences are king. The independence thing was cool in its day, but that day has been over for about 20 years. I don't think refs cheat but there is subtle favoritism that we face week in and week out.

I watched 10 minutes and saw three bad calls. But ND made its bed and now it must lie in it. Conferences are king. The independence thing was cool in its day, but that day has been over for about 20 years. I don't think refs cheat but there is subtle favoritism that we face week in and week out.
You are correct. They are influenced too much by the atmosphere. I don't know the reason for the favoritism but it does exist.

I had to leave early. I couldn't stand watching those refs another minute. Why does ND keep using ACC officials anyway? They don't have to at home, but they do anyway.

Reactions: captstabbin
Divine intervention. Those refs were horrible, but if it means ND getting a new coach, maybe it happened for a bigger reason.

Reactions: captstabbin
Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but the ACC did have a vested interest in Virginia Tech winning this game. Because they'll be the team that plays Clemson, if they beat Virginia next week. And winning these two games likely gets them ranked again before the ACC champ game.

Quit blaming the refs. For Pete's sake, Notre Dame led this game twice by 17 points. You put this team away and guess what, it doesn't matter what the refs do. Both Don Criqui and Allen Pinkettt were crying about it in the postgame when they interviewed Kelly. Good teams don't have to worry about how the refs call a game. They get the job done. They FINISH teams off.

Reactions: tkirish
I'm not sticking up for kelly cuz I'm fine w/ him getting canned, but the refs screwed us left & right in that game, which is how it usually goes.

We blew 17 point lead, got outscored 13-0 in 4th quarter and in game 11 we are still taking false start penalties (including first play of the game) and snapping ball over the QBs head (includingnon a 3rd and goal from the 1)
This is coaching.

Agreed that it's coaching, but it can be both. We got out coached & the refs sucked, and on at least two separate occasions, the whistle should've be blown and the play should've been reviewed. No doubt. And it was targeting in both instances. F{%}*g joke that we deal w/ ref BS more often than not.

If leading with the helmet is a penalty, then call it or at least review it. The tapes will be sent to the ACC and BK will get a "nothing to see here" or "sorry, we screwed up" response. The Texas game with Tori Hunter was another very serious non call. ND has been on the bad side of this penalty way too often. The pick calls that go against ND are the same exact ones that are used by other offenses. BK said today that Cole Luke is taught to defend exactly the way he did it today, only with refs present at practice, and each time the practice officials say that it's legal and will not be called. Only, these bozos call it today. The lack of review on the two hits on DK is unacceptable.

Reactions: mbd11
bottom line is with our talent NONE of the games we have lost in close contests should have been close. THAT is coaching for the most part.

Yeah the refs screwed us but it should never have been close enough to matter

Targeting has nothing to do with final scores and everything to do with the safety of these players. Either have the rule or don't have the rule. Either take the time for an honest review or get those guys out of the booth because that's why they are there.

I think Kelly should wear a helmet. Going empty backfield on the 1/2 yard line or going shotgun at the one tells me he is special

I hope Kelly and Swarbrick complain to the ACC. Regardless of the outcome of the game, that rule's in place to protect player safety, and wasn't used for its purpose yesterday.

It won't help us, but they should review that and suspend at least the first guy from VTech's next game. Because that was a blatant hit to the head while our QB was sliding.

Agreed, mdb. ND doesn't get replay even after kizer gives them time after laying there for a few seconds? It was an obvious hit to the head. Now I know there will be some here that say to stop whining, but what's fair is fair. Those two were obvious plays that, at the very least, they should've stopped play and looked at it. It was that glaringly obvious. We'll get the mid-week "oh, sorry we missed those" from the ACC that we got after FSU & Texas. Thanks ACC, but u can jam the apology as far as possible up your asses.

Use SEC refs for home games. They hate the ACC giving us the same advantage as ACC home refs get. Solves the problem. They also have a much more let them play approach. From the stands, there three piss poor calls that impacts outcome likely. Cole seemed to be in front, good position and the call came very late. The two QB hits.

The problem I see is bad things happen to organization , teams or individuals that appear to be negative. Kelly seems negative the players do not seem positive. Calls happen but this year we have more bad call then normal. See my point top down a negative view. It may seem simplistic but negative things happen to all that have a negative view. It is almost seems you become more open to negative actions. The Irish program needs a fresh start. If Kelly is back after we lose next week :) and he does not have a great change is all he does as a leader we will have the same problem we had this year.

A jumbotron would have helped in this case. Crowd going crazy over the no call, especially on first targeting, would have forced the replay booths hand to review the call.

There were tons of examples of this, but the two targeting hits that were no calls and not reviewed, the pass interference call against Luke that gave them first and goal, and the no call push off by their receiver on the tying TD, were four obvious examples of terrible officiating that even Flutie was decrying. He apparently passed concussion protocols, but Kizer was clearly a different QB after that no call targeting hit in the third qtr.
I think the game would have had a different outcome if all four had been properly called, but I also think good teams and good coaching overcome bad officiating, and we are clearly not a good team; and in game coaching decisions continue to contribute to our floundering about. Our defense played conservative bend don't break in the second half, but we don't have the personnel to pull off the red zone stops we had in 2012, by way of comparison. The absence of an under center smash mouth goal line scheme has been discussed many times, but this inexplicably continues to be a painful coaching deficiency that continues to cost us games. Keizer was clearly under more pressure in the second half, and our play calling seemed to ignore this rather than counter. Our starting fifth year senior right guard had a tough day, and a worse second half, and yet we didn't make any adjustments to help him out by keeping a back in to help block on passing plays. The officials prorbably cost us this game, but better coaching would have made the officiating an irritant as opposed to a game changer.

The targeting against Tori in the Texas game that turned out to be a non call is a serious matter. Same for the two non calls when DK was involved. This is not a simple matter of holding by a lineman. This is serious business. Inexcusable that these game and replay officials have no penalty to pay for not protecting vulnerable young amateur players but use it as an interpretation rule. Either it's helmet to helmet or it's not. No gray area.

OP--like you, I am also one that does not like to blame the refs. Officiating is not the reason why we stink this year. However, with that said, there is absolutely no excuse for missing those targeting calls. Supposedly player safety is the number one issue. How can the booth not review that call?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT