ADVERTISEMENT

I like The Irish to win over Clemson

scubastevefl

I've posted how many times?
Dec 9, 2006
Maybe it’s all the second hand THC I inhaled in Los Angeles the last five days but I’m picking the Irish to win, here’s why…

Clemson has uncertainty at QB. The Tigers benched DJ for Cade Klubnik against Clemson, while Clemson looked better with CK, he’s still a true freshman, not sure who their starter will be, but They have question marks. ND’s QB play has been awful, but this helps even things out.

Irish O-line, the Irish rushed for 223 against UNLV and 246 against Syracuse. The last two games have been an improvement. The Irish running game wasn’t terrible against Stanford, just done in my costly turnovers. The o-line might be catching on to HH’s ways. ND’s line looked like a rugby scrum at times.

ND’s D has been good this year, ranked 28th. Just a note (Marshall 8th and Cuse 16th). Good job coach Freeman and Golden.

Special teams have been special, ranked number 1 in blocked kicks with 5 ( tied with C. Michigan and USC east). Great job coach Mason.

“Never pick against the Irish at home” ~Beno Cook

Clemson 20 Notre Dame 28

Last edited:
Reactions: BGI User 756
I liked ND for a long time. The Cuse gave Clemson all kind of troubles, of course, four turnovers helped them. I think ND 24-17. Clemson’s defense is really good.

One thing this game will show is whether or not Pyne can drown out the noise and overcome his inefficiencies to help. If the guy was ever due this is the time.

Maybe it’s all the second hand THC I inhaled in Los Angeles the last five days but I’m picking the Irish to win, here’s why…

Clemson has uncertainty at QB. The Tigers benched DJ for Cade Klubnik against Clemson, while Clemson looked better with CK, he’s still a true freshman, not sure who their starter will be, but They have question marks. ND’s QB play has been awful, but this helps even things out.

Irish O-line, the Irish rushed for 223 against UNLV and 246 against Syracuse. The last two games have been an improvement. The Irish running game wasn’t terrible against Stanford, just done in my costly turnovers. The o-line might be catching on to HH’s ways. ND’s line looked like a rugby scrum at times.

ND’s D has been good this year, ranked 28th. Just a note (Marshall 8th and Cuse 16th). Good job coach Freeman and Golden.

Special teams have been special, ranked number 1 in blocked kicks with 5 ( tied with C. Michigan and USC east). Great job coach Mason.

Clemson 20 Notre Dame 28
You should ask your doctor about this

I think it's definitely the second-hand THC.

As much as I'd love to see us win, I don't see us being able to run even half as well against Clemson as we did against Syracuse. I think their defense will also make Pyne's night a living hell. Finally, I think their QB problems are more a hiccup than a symptom of something more serious, and I think no matter who they have at QB, they will look more like the Clemson you saw in the second half against Syracuse.

I'd say something like 27-13 Clemson, and I think it could be worse.

Reactions: eshupe
I’m glad they ranked Clemson #4. Might knock that chip off their shoulder.
I am, too, because they’re not that good, and it gives us a chance to beat a top 4 team though they’re not playing like one. The defense hasn’t been that good despite several NFL 1st/2nd rounders and DJ uiagalelei continues to underperform relative to hype and expectations, so that Clemson offense hasn’t become the machine we’re used to.

There are a minimum of 10 teams playing better than them right now, but I really don’t like Pyne in 3rd and long against them. The defense is going to have to carry us.

I think it will be like a 24-21, 24-20, 20-17, etc., type of game.

Last edited:
Seems like 20ish or our 40 last week where delivered not by the O.

They have a DL that matches our OL so this will be more like OSU, maybe we get 100 yards.

This O with DP is good for 10 pts against a top team. Maybe we get another D or ST helping hand putting us to 17.

Can our D hold them to 20 or less?

Like most have said. A DP at 70% and we win. A DP at 50% I don’t see it.

A TO by Pyne off a batted pass late turns it, 24-13 Clemson feels right.

Reactions: notredamerises23
I am, too, because they’re not that good, and it gives us a chance to best a top 5 team thouFH they’re not playing like one. The defense hasn’t been that good despite several NFL 1st/2nd rounders and DJ uiagalelei continues to underperform relative to hype and expectations.

There are a minimum of 10 teams playing better than them right now, but I really don’t like Pyne in 3rd and long against them. The defense is going to have to carry us.

I think it will be like a 24-21, 24-20, 20-17, etc., type of game.
They do have 3 top 25 wins and a win on the road against fsu. Better schedule and resume than most

Clemson 20 Notre Dame 28
I like your enthusiasm but I fear a significant loss if the TOP gets lopsided in Clemson’s favor.

Clemson 20 Notre Dame 28
What do you mean, second hand? Why don't you just get your own weed and smoke it yourself, might do you some good. In fact I think I'll smoke some right now.

In any case, I'm inclined to agree. I think we're going to take them. And I'm not just being upbeat. At a minimum, I'd call it an even bet. Though of course they could be all fired up, and play a lot better than the sluggish performances they've frequently put out so far this year. But even factoring that in, I still like our chances.

Clemson 20 Notre Dame 28
this is a terrible matchup for notre dame clemson has an elite defensive line and our quarterback is a terrible passer and cannot run very well either. wake and cuse have far better passing games and thus kept it close and i expect unc to do the same . change my mind but i dont see how this game favors nd in any way shape or form style wise its a nightmare game for nd

Let’s hop in The Wayback machine with Sherman and Mr. Peabody. 11-13-2010 The Irish are sitting at 4-5 after a disastrous loss to Tulsa. (I was there). There is turmoil off the field and a first year coach is feeling the pressure. #14 Utah is coming to South Bend and….. let’s just say The Irish turned their season around that day.

mr-peabody-sherman-ss1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: HRC08 and sluggo69
They do have 3 top 25 wins and a win on the road against fsu. Better schedule and resume than most
This is true and their winning culture, confidence, and overall talent help them make high leverage big plays at the right moments. Clemson is 14th I’m Game Control this season—all the other undefeated/1 loss Clemson teams have been top 3-4 in game control just as one would expect a dominant team to be. Clemson doesn’t really have weaknesses, but the Tigers also don't really have a super strength that their teams in recent history have had.

I think Clemson wins on the road vs. this ND team something like 7 times out of 10; those are pretty decent chances given where we were a few weeks ago,

Last edited:
Is Clemson overrated? Or are they a super talented team waiting to bust out? I really hope it's the former.
This is definitely the question; though super-talented on defense and talented on offense, they haven’t dominated on either but they also have no weaknesses and play in a culture of winning and confidence.

Reactions: christophero
In order to ND to win....a few things have to fall into place, imo:

Can ND win at the line of scrimmage on offense?
Can ND win at the line of scrimmage on defense?
Can Estime hold onto the football?
Can Pyne get the ball out to receivers?
Can Pyne get the ball out to receivers without interceptions?
Can ND score touchdowns (not just field goals) in the red zone?
Can ND's linebackers play north instead of south?

this is a terrible matchup for notre dame clemson has an elite defensive line and our quarterback is a terrible passer and cannot run very well either. wake and cuse have far better passing games and thus kept it close and i expect unc to do the same . change my mind but i dont see how this game favors nd in any way shape or form style wise its a nightmare game for nd
The things they do well are the same as ND. And the things they don't are better than ND for sure.

Beating Clemson and USC would save this season and turn around the narrative. I don't know if ND has enough of a varied passing game to beat the Tigers though.

It's very possible Clemson will be particularly fired up to take revenge as well. In addition to wanting to beat ND like any team would. They weren't humiliated two years ago, but they did lose, and they'd probably like to avenge that.

In any case, I'm basing my optimism on our respective games vs Syracuse, who I felt looked about the same in both games, as in not that great, but decent and competitive, and I just thought we looked better than Clemson did vs a common opponent. Needless to say good ND will have to show up for this game. Drew Pyne did it vs UNC and BYU, and if he can come up with something vaguely similar to that, and the passing game as a whole does fairly well, then we can beat them....

It's very possible Clemson will be particularly fired up to take revenge as well. In addition to wanting to beat ND like any team would. They weren't humiliated two years ago, but they did lose, and they'd probably like to avenge that.

In any case, I'm basing my optimism on our respective games vs Syracuse, who I felt looked about the same in both games, as in not that great, but decent and competitive, and I just thought we looked better than Clemson did vs a common opponent. Needless to say good ND will have to show up for this game. Drew Pyne did it vs UNC and BYU, and if he can come up with something vaguely similar to that, and the passing game as a whole does fairly well, then we can beat them....
Clemson got their revenge in the ACC championship game. Did you forget that game?

Clemson got their revenge in the ACC championship game. Did you forget that game?
No I didn't forget that, it's not the same thing. Heck they even have the same QB, instead of Trevor Lawrence who should have been playing. I'd be willing to bet the previous loss at ND stadium is being used as motivational material by their coaches. As athletes/coaches are won't to do, scour the earth for anything at all that might fire themselves up.....

im not in favor of rain for this particular matchup. we will not dominate in the trenches and we have a back that has had ball security issues.

On the other hand...

neutralizing Clemson's significant passing advantage over nd should keep points off the board and give us a better shot to win a closer game.

i dont know what to think

Last edited:
No I didn't forget that, it's not the same thing. Heck they even have the same QB, instead of Trevor Lawrence who should have been playing. I'd be willing to bet the previous loss at ND stadium is being used as motivational material by their coaches. As athletes/coaches are won't to do, scour the earth for anything at all that might fire themselves up.....
Ridiculous.

Ridiculous.
Why are you even effin' responding to me? You know I despise you, I've made that clear, and why. And I made my little point in this thread in fairly straightforward, bland fashion. It's not really an arguable point, I'm sure Clemson's going to be fired up for this game, and in particular the prospect of coming back to ND stadium and this time getting the win is going to figure prominently in their motivational ploys for the week. It's a no-brainer that what I'm saying is correct. Or at a minimum there'd be no good reason to feel otherwise. And so naturally it's very possible Clemson could be a tougher opponent this Saturday than they have been throughout the season.

And for some god-forsaken reason you're going out of your way to be deliberately annoying, and to tersely disagree with this matter of fact observation for some reason, the way you like to do it, for maximalist effect at being as annoying/infuriating as you can without being overtly crass or confrontational. It's what you do....

So just don't respond my to posts, please....

• Haha
Reactions: NDblitz
Why are you even effin' responding to me? You know I despise you, I've made that clear, and why. And I made my little point in this thread in fairly straightforward, bland fashion. It's not really an arguable point, I'm sure Clemson's going to be fired up for this game, and in particular the prospect of coming back to ND stadium and this time getting the win is going to figure prominently in their motivational ploys for the week. It's a no-brainer that what I'm saying is correct. Or at a minimum there'd be no good reason to feel otherwise. And so naturally it's very possible Clemson could be a tougher opponent this Saturday than they have been throughout the season.

And for some god-forsaken reason you're going out of your way to be deliberately annoying, and to tersely disagree with this matter of fact observation for some reason, the way you like to do it, for maximalist effect at being as annoying/infuriating as you can without being overtly crass or confrontational. It's what you do....

So just don't respond my to posts, please....
Deliberately annoying is his motif.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT