ADVERTISEMENT

I Hope That ND Saves 1-2 Spots For Silly Season

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
There are going to be some coaching changes down the stretch in college football and I'd like to see ND have a plan to take 1-2 players down the stretch if a couple key coaches leave their current schools...

If, for example, James Franklin left Penn State for USC, I'd fly the entire staff to Virginia to sit down with Brandon Smith. The same could be said of Caedan Wallace and Devyn Ford.

If Urban Meyer to leave Ohio State for health reasons, I'd be on the phone with Harry Miller, Doug Nester and Steele Chambers.

I'd call three or four Auburn recruits up if they were to fire Gus Malzahn. I don't know if any of them would qualify, but it's worth a call to gauge interest, cross your T's and dot your I's.

I think you have to check in on guys like Max Williams and Maninoa Tufono if there is a coaching change and Helton is let go. They'd probably be excited about a new coaching hire, but they're excellent players and ND kids, so you make the call.

Numbers always work themselves out as long as you over recruit at a reasonable level. Notre Dame is not a team that is willing to force players off their roster (good riddance), and with the following players to be offered a 5th year next year (we'll see who takes it).... Finke, Boykin, Ruhland, Mack, Crawford, Bilal, ND will need some transfers in the off season to make it work.

I hope they have at least 4 or 5 high school seniors attend the Banquet even if they are "full" after the Isaiah Foskey commitment. The staff is well into 2020 recruiting now, which is great, but in the month off after USC, there will be time to start making calls to elite kids who previously showed interest... 12-0 and a trip to the playoffs can get a lot of people to at least pick up their phones and listen.

There are going to be some coaching changes down the stretch in college football and I'd like to see ND have a plan to take 1-2 players down the stretch if a couple key coaches leave their current schools...

If, for example, James Franklin left Penn State for USC, I'd fly the entire staff to Virginia to sit down with Brandon Smith. The same could be said of Caedan Wallace and Devyn Ford.

If Urban Meyer to leave Ohio State for health reasons, I'd be on the phone with Harry Miller, Doug Nester and Steele Chambers.

I'd call three or four Auburn recruits up if they were to fire Gus Malzahn. I don't know if any of them would qualify, but it's worth a call to gauge interest, cross your T's and dot your I's.

I think you have to check in on guys like Max Williams and Maninoa Tufono if there is a coaching change and Helton is let go. They'd probably be excited about a new coaching hire, but they're excellent players and ND kids, so you make the call.

Numbers always work themselves out as long as you over recruit at a reasonable level. Notre Dame is not a team that is willing to force players off their roster (good riddance), and with the following players to be offered a 5th year next year (we'll see who takes it).... Finke, Boykin, Ruhland, Mack, Crawford, Bilal, ND will need some transfers in the off season to make it work.

I hope they have at least 4 or 5 high school seniors attend the Banquet even if they are "full" after the Isaiah Foskey commitment. The staff is well into 2020 recruiting now, which is great, but in the month off after USC, there will be time to start making calls to elite kids who previously showed interest... 12-0 and a trip to the playoffs can get a lot of people to at least pick up their phones and listen.

I mean if it comes down to a 5th year or a 5 star you almost have to make the long term decision. I love Finke, Boykin, Mack, Crawford and Bilal, but I'd say you're not passing on a guy like Brandon Smith.

Like your thinking, IIO. Strike while the iron is hot and Kelly has put this program (a top 15 school academically, and top 5 when it comes to graduate earnings and success) on very solid footing.

Beat USC. I'll be there, Saturday.

I mean if it comes down to a 5th year or a 5 star you almost have to make the long term decision. I love Finke, Boykin, Mack, Crawford and Bilal, but I'd say you're not passing on a guy like Brandon Smith.

I don't think you're forced to make that choice. I think you sit down with a 2nd or 3rd year guy that you don't see cracking your depth chart and you have an honest conversation with him and hope that leads to a transfer without asking him to leave (which ND will never do).

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishMike409
I don't think you're forced to make that choice. I think you sit down with a 2nd or 3rd year guy that you don't see cracking your depth chart and you have an honest conversation with him and hope that leads to a transfer without asking him to leave (which ND will never do).
I'd hope they already do that.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat

But don't we always say on here and use as a recruiting tool that ND is a 40 year not a 4 year decision? If you offered the scholarship, you should honor it whether or not they'll ever see the field. I don't like it when other schools start nudging players to transfer and I don't think ND should either.

If the player approaches the staff and is unhappy with his role and may want to transfer, then you can start having those discussions.

IIO, sidenote on your comment, Auburn would be nuts to fire Gus Malzahn, not saying they won’t do it. I can’t think of a better coach that would come to Auburn these days.

But don't we always say on here and use as a recruiting tool that ND is a 40 year not a 4 year decision? If you offered the scholarship, you should honor it whether or not they'll ever see the field. I don't like it when other schools start nudging players to transfer and I don't think ND should either.

If the player approaches the staff and is unhappy with his role and may want to transfer, then you can start having those discussions.

I think you are right, but as IIO alluded to, it's a "nudge" in the right direction. Honest assessment of where they are currently, where they want to be, playing time or the lack thereof, new recruits coming in at their position, etc.

I think you are right, but as IIO alluded to, it's a "nudge" in the right direction. Honest assessment of where they are currently, where they want to be, playing time or the lack thereof, new recruits coming in at their position, etc.

Honest assessments in coaching?? Who knew?? Just kidding.

If the coaching staff is good which I think ours is, then they should be having end of year talks with each player to let them know where they stand. If the player thinks he has better opportunities somewhere else, I think our coaching staff would be fair in their advice. Hopefully the players see the big picture with ND and what if offers beyond football.

The ghost of Father Ted will rain flaming meteors and deadly famine upon Notre Dame the day that we force a scholarship kid in good standing out of the program before he graduates. We may be honest with kid and tell him that he will probably never see the field, but he's never going to be told he needs to go somewhere else.

Reactions: McCallen ND NYC
You think we should get rid of Boykin and Bilal (and even Finke) for a recruit? That is plain dumb. Every recruit does not work out first of all. We know what we have in these 3 players and these players are very good. Also, there is and should be a loyalty factor for these guys that worked hard to get the program where it is today. This Maybe is the dumbest post I ever read.

The ghost of Father Ted will rain flaming meteors and deadly famine upon Notre Dame the day that we force a scholarship kid in good standing out of the program before he graduates. We may be honest with kid and tell him that he will probably never see the field, but he's never going to be told he needs to go somewhere else.

I'm not suggesting for a second that you force a kid out. You be honest with him at all times, however, and have "exit" interviews with every player at the end of every season. At that time you should always be honest with one of your guys and inform him if you feel that he's not likely to ever play a significant on field role... Let the kid decide from that point if he values the degree over a transfer and the potential to play elsewhere.

That's being an honest, diligent, coach.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat

I generally agree, I like that Notre Dame doesn't push kids out and honors scholarships to a greater extent than other programs...even if it will a bit of a disadvantage.

I think Isaiah Robertson is a great example of an exception. Watching him is his first blue gold game I thought he had great potential...he was all over the field and in some ways looked better than the players in front of him. But he has been moved to rover and I'm not sure how he ever gets much playing time in the traffic jam there or at safety. He may have a future in football if he transfers.

The Irish Always are below the 85 limit come spring. We can take all the fifth year players and take extra star recruits !! Come on down Brandon !! Come on down Brian Polians mystery Island recruit !

I generally agree, I like that Notre Dame doesn't push kids out and honors scholarships to a greater extent than other programs...even if it will a bit of a disadvantage.

I think Isaiah Robertson is a great example of an exception. Watching him is his first blue gold game I thought he had great potential...he was all over the field and in some ways looked better than the players in front of him. But he has been moved to rover and I'm not sure how he ever gets much playing time in the traffic jam there or at safety. He may have a future in football if he transfers.
Robertson plays WR.

Or, consider thepossibility the top Franklin commits follow him? SC has been cool on Foskey (to everyone’s bewilderment: doesn’t he like ice cream?)

You think we should get rid of Boykin and Bilal (and even Finke) for a recruit? That is plain dumb. Every recruit does not work out first of all. We know what we have in these 3 players and these players are very good. Also, there is and should be a loyalty factor for these guys that worked hard to get the program where it is today. This Maybe is the dumbest post I ever read.

Well I guess if you're going to be short sighted and not think long term then you have a point. Of course you don't make that cut for any recruit. Brandon Smith was one of the names used as an example and in that case you absolutely give Smith the scholarship over Bilal and Boykin. Smith is a 3 or maybe 4 year starter type player. Obviously this is a hypothetical and don't think there's any evidence this is even a possibility.

You must not read your own posts.

Well I guess if you're going to be short sighted and not think long term then you have a point. Of course you don't make that cut for any recruit. Brandon Smith was one of the names used as an example and in that case you absolutely give Smith the scholarship over Bilal and Boykin. Smith is a 3 or maybe 4 year starter type player. Obviously this is a hypothetical and don't think there's any evidence this is even a possibility.

You must not read your own posts.
Shortsighted, maybe...assuming Smith does not turn into a Max Redfield. However, Boykin is our top playmaker. Bilal is a starting LB. Finke is our PR and a consistent contributor as a wide receiver. You want to gut the starting units of a now successful program for a recruit you think will start as a freshman and be an impact player for his entire career Or might be a complete bust. If that is your logic, that is your logic. What about loyalty for these players who dedicated themselves to the football program and academic rigors of ND. You think we should just throw them overboard for the shiny new toy? What are your thoughts on that?

Last edited:
Shortsighted, maybe...assuming Smith does not turn into a Max Redfield. However, Boykin is our top playmaker. Bilal is a starting LB. Finke is out PR and a consistent contributor as a wide receiver. You want to gut the starting units of a now successful program for a recuit you think will start as a freshman and be an impact player for his entire career Or might be a complete bust. If that is your logic, that is your logic. What about loyalty for these players who dedicated themselves to the football program and academic rigors of ND. You think we should just throw them overboard for the shiny new toy? What are your thoughts on that?
That you just said Boykin is our top "playmaker" has me wondering if you even watch ND football.

How about George Karlaftis the DE committed to Purdue? Will he follow Brohm to Louisville or will ND be in play? Do they have interest in him or was it ND who cooled on him?

That you just said Boykin is our top "playmaker" has me wondering if you even watch ND football.
So who is our to playmaker? Williams. Book or Boykin? Either way, her is one of our Top playmakers. The fact that you can't recognize this, along with your desire to throw 3 starters off the team for a recruit has me wondering if you even watch football in general.

Reactions: Riverside Irish
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT