ADVERTISEMENT

Here's how ND beats Bama...

JTC486

Shakes Down The Thunder
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2020
First off, let's be crystal clear about something. Objective, tasteful criticism does not (let me repeat "does not") represent hate in any way, shape, or form. I have been a diehard Notre Dame fan for 30 years and just desperately want them to keep improving (continuous process improvement) so that we can win a championship one day (possibly this year!) and change the national narrative. Brian Kelly has done a fantastic job of rebuilding the program from the depths of the Weis era. However, the job is not done yet as there is still a bit more progress that needs to be made. Ok - on to the game.

1. ND Defense: We MUST commit to stopping Harris on the ground. Based on watching a bunch of Bama games, the offense starts with him and he is a beast on the ground often breaking multiple tackles on each play. Fortunately, our run defense is exceptional, so I think if the coaches feel the same way that we can succeed in shutting him down especially since Mac Jones is NOT mobile at all, so he is not a threat to run. The only reason we had issues against Clemson #2 is because Lawrence is a great runner and Clemson made him running the ball the priority knowing they couldn't just line up and beat us on the ground with Etienne. Take away the QB running threat and we will be in good shape. Regarding pass defense, given Devonta Smith's incredible speed, I think we need to always have safety top over the top on whichever side of the field Devonta Smith is on (when we are in man). When we are in zone, then we obviously need to make sure he doesn't get past the safeties on any go routes. He is a difficult matchup for our secondary as I do not believe any of our corners (or most team's corners!) can stay with him in man to man. However, this gets to my last point about our defense, which I haven't heard anyone else talk much about yet (I could be wrong). It is imperative that we get pressure on Mac Jones to force him to get rid of the ball quickly limiting the amount of time our secondary has to try to stay with Devonta Smith. This is an area where I have a lot of confidence actually despite Bama's OL being nominated for the Joe Moore award. Florida, which does not have a very good defense, was able to get consistent pressure on Mac Jones. The one observation I have about Mac Jones that gives me some encouragement is that he is (1) not mobile at all and (2) he goes down pretty easily. I realize he is listed at 6'3 214 lbs, but when someone gets a hand on him, he goes down pretty quickly. This is in stark contrast to most of the QB's we have played against this year who have been very difficult to bring down (Hough, Lawrence, Jurkovec, among others, etc.). Our defense has done a good job this year of getting sacks, but we would have a LOT more sacks if some of the QB's we played against weren't so difficult to bring down. Thus, I think there's a chance that we are able to sack Mac Jones quite a few times. Worst case scenario, we force them to use max protection limiting the number of players running routes who we have to try to cover.

2. ND Offense: I believe the performance by our offense against Clemson #2 was not indicative of our ability on offense. The team had a bad night on offense. I always remind myself in situations like this that "it's never as bad as it seems and it's never as good as it seems". Thus, with respect to Clemson #2, it's the former. Clemson had an exceptional game plan to contain Book in the pocket in a way that no other team has done yet. This caught Book and Rees by surprise and we were not able to adapt quickly enough. I am confident that they will be ready for it if Bama tries something similar. I do not believe Bama's defense is anywhere close to as good as Clemson's and I KNOW that Bama's defensive coordinator is not nearly as good as Clemson's. Thus, we should have opportunities if we execute well and if we have a good game plan. Regarding the game plan on offense, in my opinion, we should start out in more 12, 13, and 14 personnel focusing on establishing the run and playing to our strengths (OL, TE, RB, and very mobile QB). I believe Tremble should often be in the backfield as Kyren (and Tyree's) lead blocker. I don't know what the statistics say, but I would be surprised if we did not average more yards per carry when Tremble is lined up as a fullback. Since our TE's are such great receivers, we should mix in some play action passes out of this formation (taking some deep shots with McKinley or Skowronek to keep their safeties from creeping up and possibly catch them off guard) especially if we are able to have some early success running out of this formation (I believe we would if this strategy is employed). Also, I believe we should mix in some bootlegs and rollouts to get Book out of the pocket where he has the opportunity to pass or run (pass run options). I believe we need to utilize Book a lot more on designed QB runs. Obviously, we get an extra blocker when we run with the QB, so this is an added bonus. It will also make their defense respect Book on designed runs which should help open things up for Kyren (and Tyree). Further, we should look to incorporate some wheel routes out of the backfield for Kyren (and Tyree) as both are very good receivers and Bama's LB's should not be able to match up well with them in pass coverage. What I do not think we should do is try to run the ball too often (occasionally is good as it keeps the defense honest) out of a spread formation. From my observations, while this has been reasonably effective at times throughout the year, it has generally not worked well against good defenses. When we line up in tight formations, it plays more to our strengths and helps negate the speed disadvantage that we have on the perimeter with this year's starting WR's. In addition to our great OL and unique quality depth at TE, both starting WR's (McKinley and Skowronek) are big and great blockers. I don't think another team in college football has this unique formula. We are literally built to run the football (with our RB or QB) out of tight formations with 12, 13, or 14 personnel. Then we mix in our pass plays out of this formation when the defense isn't expecting it and we will likely hit some big plays. Another advantage to this strategy is that it should make it more difficult for their defense to contain Book in the pocket or at least make that less of a perceived priority as they will be focused on stopping the run. Lastly, I think we need to incorporate some trick plays and misdirection plays. Clemson ran a number of these in both games, so I'm not suggesting this because we are a big underdog. It's just smart football. The Eagles won a Super Bowl with a trick play, so Notre Dame is certainly not "above" running such plays.

3. Special Teams: This is simple. Do NOT punt the ball to Devonta Smith.

Prediction: The more film I watch on Bama, the more confident I get that we can win this game. I don't care what the pundits or Heisman voters say, but Trevor Lawrence is on a different stratosphere than Mac Jones. Sam Hough is better than Mac Jones as both a runner and passer. I think we will get 1 interception and force and recover a fumble on one of our sacks (there will be a handful). I believe Clemson #2 was a wake up call for Rees, Kelly, and Book as it highlighted some adjustments that need to be made. I am confident they will be ready for anything Bama's defense throws at them. I also believe that they weren't nearly as hungry as Clemson was as they thought they were a lock for the playoffs regardless of what happened. They will be mentally ready against Bama.

Notre Dame will beat Alabama 34-31 in regulation. 4 TD's for ND and 2 FG's and 4 TD's for Bama and 1 FG.

I welcome any thoughtful commentary.

Go IRISH!!!

That’s where I’m critical of Kelly and co. if you are accurate in your assessment of ND wasn’t hungry to win the last game. That’s pathetic if true. They were playing for a championship and if they didn’t care and got blown out it was obvious they’d be playing Alabama, if invited, in the CFP then. Win a title and get Ohio State or A&M should’ve been the focus.

The constant struggles ND has had versus big time competition and we are being told now that the team knew they were in and didn’t try. Wow. You change the narrative by always competing hard and beating these types of teams. I know ND will always be at a disadvantage in terms of talent but what I want back is the FIGHT in Fighting Irish.

I couldn’t care less about beating a depleted Clemson team in November. I have no delusions of grandeur this week. I just want the team to fight and hang in there as long as possible. It’s time to gain some national respect going into 2021.

That’s where I’m critical of Kelly and co. if you are accurate in your assessment of ND wasn’t hungry to win the last game. That’s pathetic if true. They were playing for a championship and if they didn’t care and got blown out it was obvious they’d be playing Alabama, if invited, in the CFP then. Win a title and get Ohio State or A&M should’ve been the focus.

The constant struggles ND has had versus big time competition and we are being told now that the team knew they were in and didn’t try. Wow. You change the narrative by always competing hard and beating these types of teams. I know ND will always be at a disadvantage in terms of talent but what I want back is the FIGHT in Fighting Irish.

I couldn’t care less about beating a depleted Clemson team in November. I have no delusions of grandeur this week. I just want the team to fight and hang in there as long as possible. It’s time to gain some national respect going into 2021.

Just to be clear, I do not have any inside information that the team wasn't hungry to win the ACC Championship. It is however my belief that they were not AS HUNGRY as Clemson who knew they needed to win to stay in.

So you are given a complete analysis of the game to be prepared for and played, and all you offer comments on is obvious Kelly bashing, that says it all.

As for the original analysis, I totally agree, and I thank the poster for it.

GoIrish!!

OP forgot the part about how we have to kidnap Jones, Smith, and Harris before the game.

First off, let's be crystal clear about something. Objective, tasteful criticism does not (let me repeat "does not") represent hate in any way, shape, or form. I have been a diehard Notre Dame fan for 30 years and just desperately want them to keep improving (continuous process improvement) so that we can win a championship one day (possibly this year!) and change the national narrative. Brian Kelly has done a fantastic job of rebuilding the program from the depths of the Weis era. However, the job is not done yet as there is still a bit more progress that needs to be made. Ok - on to the game.

1. ND Defense: We MUST commit to stopping Harris on the ground. Based on watching a bunch of Bama games, the offense starts with him and he is a beast on the ground often breaking multiple tackles on each play. Fortunately, our run defense is exceptional, so I think if the coaches feel the same way that we can succeed in shutting him down especially since Mac Jones is NOT mobile at all, so he is not a threat to run. The only reason we had issues against Clemson #2 is because Lawrence is a great runner and Clemson made him running the ball the priority knowing they couldn't just line up and beat us on the ground with Etienne. Take away the QB running threat and we will be in good shape. Regarding pass defense, given Devonta Smith's incredible speed, I think we need to always have safety top over the top on whichever side of the field Devonta Smith is on (when we are in man). When we are in zone, then we obviously need to make sure he doesn't get past the safeties on any go routes. He is a difficult matchup for our secondary as I do not believe any of our corners (or most team's corners!) can stay with him in man to man. However, this gets to my last point about our defense, which I haven't heard anyone else talk much about yet (I could be wrong). It is imperative that we get pressure on Mac Jones to force him to get rid of the ball quickly limiting the amount of time our secondary has to try to stay with Devonta Smith. This is an area where I have a lot of confidence actually despite Bama's OL being nominated for the Joe Moore award. Florida, which does not have a very good defense, was able to get consistent pressure on Mac Jones. The one observation I have about Mac Jones that gives me some encouragement is that he is (1) not mobile at all and (2) he goes down pretty easily. I realize he is listed at 6'3 214 lbs, but when someone gets a hand on him, he goes down pretty quickly. This is in stark contrast to most of the QB's we have played against this year who have been very difficult to bring down (Hough, Lawrence, Jurkovec, among others, etc.). Our defense has done a good job this year of getting sacks, but we would have a LOT more sacks if some of the QB's we played against weren't so difficult to bring down. Thus, I think there's a chance that we are able to sack Mac Jones quite a few times. Worst case scenario, we force them to use max protection limiting the number of players running routes who we have to try to cover.

2. ND Offense: I believe the performance by our offense against Clemson #2 was not indicative of our ability on offense. The team had a bad night on offense. I always remind myself in situations like this that "it's never as bad as it seems and it's never as good as it seems". Thus, with respect to Clemson #2, it's the former. Clemson had an exceptional game plan to contain Book in the pocket in a way that no other team has done yet. This caught Book and Rees by surprise and we were not able to adapt quickly enough. I am confident that they will be ready for it if Bama tries something similar. I do not believe Bama's defense is anywhere close to as good as Clemson's and I KNOW that Bama's defensive coordinator is not nearly as good as Clemson's. Thus, we should have opportunities if we execute well and if we have a good game plan. Regarding the game plan on offense, in my opinion, we should start out in more 12, 13, and 14 personnel focusing on establishing the run and playing to our strengths (OL, TE, RB, and very mobile QB). I believe Tremble should often be in the backfield as Kyren (and Tyree's) lead blocker. I don't know what the statistics say, but I would be surprised if we did not average more yards per carry when Tremble is lined up as a fullback. Since our TE's are such great receivers, we should mix in some play action passes out of this formation (taking some deep shots with McKinley or Skowronek to keep their safeties from creeping up and possibly catch them off guard) especially if we are able to have some early success running out of this formation (I believe we would if this strategy is employed). Also, I believe we should mix in some bootlegs and rollouts to get Book out of the pocket where he has the opportunity to pass or run (pass run options). I believe we need to utilize Book a lot more on designed QB runs. Obviously, we get an extra blocker when we run with the QB, so this is an added bonus. It will also make their defense respect Book on designed runs which should help open things up for Kyren (and Tyree). Further, we should look to incorporate some wheel routes out of the backfield for Kyren (and Tyree) as both are very good receivers and Bama's LB's should not be able to match up well with them in pass coverage. What I do not think we should do is try to run the ball too often (occasionally is good as it keeps the defense honest) out of a spread formation. From my observations, while this has been reasonably effective at times throughout the year, it has generally not worked well against good defenses. When we line up in tight formations, it plays more to our strengths and helps negate the speed disadvantage that we have on the perimeter with this year's starting WR's. In addition to our great OL and unique quality depth at TE, both starting WR's (McKinley and Skowronek) are big and great blockers. I don't think another team in college football has this unique formula. We are literally built to run the football (with our RB or QB) out of tight formations with 12, 13, or 14 personnel. Then we mix in our pass plays out of this formation when the defense isn't expecting it and we will likely hit some big plays. Another advantage to this strategy is that it should make it more difficult for their defense to contain Book in the pocket or at least make that less of a perceived priority as they will be focused on stopping the run. Lastly, I think we need to incorporate some trick plays and misdirection plays. Clemson ran a number of these in both games, so I'm not suggesting this because we are a big underdog. It's just smart football. The Eagles won a Super Bowl with a trick play, so Notre Dame is certainly not "above" running such plays.

Prediction: The more film I watch on Bama, the more confident I get that we can win this game. I don't care what the pundits or Heisman voters say, but Trevor Lawrence is on a different stratosphere than Mac Jones. Sam Hough is better than Mac Jones as both a runner and passer. I think we will get 1 interception and force and recover a fumble on one of our sacks (there will be a handful). I believe Clemson #2 was a wake up call for Rees, Kelly, and Book as it highlighted some adjustments that need to be made. I am confident they will be ready for anything Bama's defense throws at them. I also believe that they weren't nearly as hungry as Clemson was as they thought they were a lock for the playoffs regardless of what happened. They will be mentally ready against Bama.

Notre Dame will beat Alabama 34-31 in regulation. 4 TD's for ND and 2 FG's and 4 TD's for Bama and 1 FG.

Go IRISH!!!
I hope we shock the world. Realistically, I think you are painting the most positive scenario. Our D playing well is possible. Our O playing well is possible.
Of the two, our D is more likely to give up big plays. Our O is not likely to keep pace.

I predict a W but I do so as a fan.

Last edited:

Cry me a river !!! You are the Girliest man I have ever known !!

I hope we shock the world. Realistically, I think you are pairing the most positive scenario. Our D playing well is possible. Our O playing well is possible.
Of the two, our D is more likely to give up big plays. Our O is not likely to keep pace.

I predict a W but I do so as a fan.

I'm not placing any money on it. This is really what I believe is a realistic example of how we can beat Bama. When I say realistic, I don't necessarily mean most likely or expected. I believe that our team is capable of achieving everything I described. In my opinion, Bama is the better team primarily because of 2 superstars (Harris and Smith) that we do not have. Bama also has a better head coach and offensive coordinator while we have a better defensive coordinator. Bama also wins on special teams due to having Smith as a punt returner. The key takeaway is that we match up very well with Bama. Bama hasn't played against a team like us this year either, which depending on the game plan, could work to our advantage. Our team has played Clemson twice this year. Both were great tests and should help prepare the team to play in this big stage. That is one difference that I forgot to mention in my original post compared to prior years. We already had TWO big games this year to test our team's mettle. This gives me hope that the team who shows up on January 1 will look a lot different than in 2018 against Clemson and 2012 against Bama.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
We should start out in more 12, 13, and 14 personnel focusing on establishing the run and playing to our strengths (OL, TE, RB, and very mobile QB).

Yes!

Also, I believe we should mix in some bootlegs and rollouts to get Book out of the pocket where he has the opportunity to pass or run (pass run options). I believe we need to utilize Book a lot more on designed QB runs. Obviously, we get an extra blocker when we run with the QB, so this is an added bonus. It will also make their defense respect Book on designed runs which should help open things up for Kyren (and Tyree).

Yesssss!!!!

In the 3 biggest games of BK's career at ND.....this team was outscored 106 to 27. There are some lessons that were not learned in those games.... mostly on offense. I think Book was committed to winning 1 on 1 match ups and those plays took too much time. ND must focus on first downs.....and be willing to throw the ball down the field. A forty yard pick is no worse than the punt that would have followed anyway. The laziest guys on Bama and Clemson's teams are their punters and their secondary for a reason. If ND plays cautiously and conservatively to protect the ball..they won't have it very long.

The pundits slobber all over Alabama but outside of an early season defeat of TexAM none of their victories really were over top tier teams. Florida -maybe but they certainly did not blow them out. Georgia had no QB.

Now no one should underestimate the machine that Saban has built; like Bellicek in the pros with NE.

BUT this year there are some weaknesses that as usual the pundits missed. The OP did an excellent job of showing where the matchups favor ND and can be used to beat Alabama.

This is the weakest Alabama defense I can remember. Thus if we can run the ball well and control the game we can win.

Kudos to picking up the fact that Jones is easy to bring down. Had not really noticed it until I went back and looked at some games. Dead right about the guys this year being so damn hard to bring down. I think if we really do our job well we could have 6-10 sacks of him. Do that to any QB and you mess him up in his head.

Do agree about Smith. DO NOT PUNT TO HIM. Take a loss of yardage and put it out of bounds.

Hopeful but can't see it.

Bama , Clemson , OSU just a level above everyone else.

That's a fact.

ND beats bama by coming out passing 2 or 3 to 1 ratio. Get a lead, don't let up in the redzone and switch to power running when pass got you there. Use books legs on designed runs. Throw downfield to big bodies. Get a dang Lead, score tds in red zone.

On D, we have depth and ability for Dline to match up with Bama oline. Need to play aggressive vs the run and get in some down and distances in ND favor, then Dline needs to get pressure. HOpe i have for ND D is dline and Lbs can be aggressive in stopping bama running game. Crawford, lewis, secondary can not get smoked deep. Smith is unreal WR.

Good coaching, plan, and execution, ND should have a shot. Plan like the last few big games like this, ND gets crushed.

If nd tries to ball control them, unless book is over 60% completion on 3rd down ND is in for a long day. ball control doesn't work vs bama unless you get a solid lead.

ND beats bama by coming out passing 2 or 3 to 1 ratio. Get a lead, don't let up in the redzone and switch to power running when pass got you there. Use books legs on designed runs. Throw downfield to big bodies. Get a dang Lead, score tds in red zone.

On D, we have depth and ability for Dline to match up with Bama oline. Need to play aggressive vs the run and get in some down and distances in ND favor, then Dline needs to get pressure. HOpe i have for ND D is dline and Lbs can be aggressive in stopping bama running game. Crawford, lewis, secondary can not get smoked deep. Smith is unreal WR.

Good coaching, plan, and execution, ND should have a shot. Plan like the last few big games like this, ND gets crushed.

If nd tries to ball control them, unless book is over 60% completion on 3rd down ND is in for a long day. ball control doesn't work vs bama unless you get a solid lead.

Somebody get Brian Kelly's, Tom Ree's and Clark Lea's email addresses and fax numbers ASAP! ND has a game on Friday and this stuff is GOLD.

Somebody get Brian Kelly's, Tom Ree's and Clark Lea's email addresses and fax numbers ASAP! ND has a game on Friday and this stuff is GOLD.
Isn't the thread title "here's how you beat bama"?....... What do you expect fans to come on here and say, you beat bama by trusting in the coaches, whatever they do is 100% the right thing to do, whatever the players do is the best they can. We'll win that way. Come on, live a little.

You really underestimate the level of stubbornness most coaches have. ND may very well deploy a creative awesome game plan and make it a good game, but no one here would be shocked if they come out and try to play ball control on offense, and our secondary loses focus and gives up a few big plays, ND gets smoked. There is no reason for ND to be getting smoked in the big games the last 4 years.

Go IRISH!!!

Excellent post. Only hope I have is that their offense feels some pressure of being such huge favorites and that their all-time performance so far would mean nothing without one on Friday. A fumble here or there, a dropped pass, ND with a lead..only way I see an upset.

The only chance ND has is to score a TD first and get some confidence. This game could get ugly otherwise. I think Devonta Smith should be the H trophy winner this year. ND has no one to match up with him. I posted someplace that Najee needs to be stopped so the D must crowd the line as well.
ND needs some clock killing drives and a few prayers

The one on one jump balls by trying to create a mismatch is not going to work. Bama, just like Clemson...isn't going to commit a second or third defender to that mismatch. They aren't willing to leave another receiver uncovered. Book isn't the greatest with checking off to a second receiver anyway. He is going to have to throw the ball down field....and make Bama pay. Use the sidelines and move the ball down the field for first downs....and by all means....avoid third down. Throw on first down...its legal, after all.

Play calling was a real head scratcher against Clemson...Don't punt the ball inside their side of the field.....possessions are everything in this game...and there is simply no way for ND to win without taking chances. Opportunities will be at a premium.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT