ADVERTISEMENT

Guess we just fixed offense in time for defense to suck

Yes, but many self inflicted wounds that you just can’t afford against better opponents. Must be cleaned up.
That's football. Expecting a perfect game is crazy. Never gonna happen. Ideally you never have a penalty or a missed assignment but that's just not reality. Very glad to say I was dead wrong about Jalen Elliot. He's playing very well. Love his aggressiveness. The change in position coaches has done wonders for him.

Guess you were expecting perfection. There is an opponent you know playing just as hard.

I think 2012 might have been a better defense. It's hard to judge because that year all the games were close and the starters had to play at 100% to the last snap.

The one that gave up like 27 points
The one that allowed several large ground gains and the one where Crawford interferes with an overthrown ball

There is room to improve and we did not play to our ability.

"The one that gave up like 27 points
The one that allowed several large ground gains and the one where Crawford interferes with an overthrown ball

There is room to improve and we did not play to our ability."

I thought Crawford was done for the season? I did not see him on the field.

And remember, of those 27 points, were a few stops where WF either kicked a FG (2 of them) and also missed a few -- I guess, their tempo and the weather could not have atttiributed to that either (and the massive amount of substitutions)... but I guess perfection is one thing that we all strive for.

Well, at least it is nice to see that you feel that there is always room for improvement

Yes, but many self inflicted wounds that you just can’t afford against better opponents. Must be cleaned up.
The game/field was hot as fresh manure. ND had defensive players playing the 2nd series of the game that hadn't played a snap other than special teams. yes they made mistakes, but the goal was to eliminate Dortch and make them execute perfectly down the field. Honestly, they were never able to do that. The only time they scored a TD was on a terrible roughing the passer call and nick coleman making a dumb mistake. Nick coleman's playing time is decreasing drastically (good thing). ND went 3 deep at dline, and 2 deep everywhere else.

I was at the game, Wake had less than 300 total yards going into the fourth quarter to NDs 500. ND put in the 3rd string D, and they were able to slowly march down the field.

I was thoroughly impressed with the D, they lived in the backfield while playing 5dbs the first 3 quarters. Hartman in the 3rd quarter literally tapped out and said he had enough.

ND will not be in nickel and Dime on first or second down much at all vs stanford.

The game/field was hot as fresh manure. ND had defensive players playing the 2nd series of the game that hadn't played a snap other than special teams. yes they made mistakes, but the goal was to eliminate Dortch and make them execute perfectly down the field. Honestly, they were never able to do that. The only time they scored a TD was on a terrible roughing the passer call and nick coleman making a dumb mistake. Nick coleman's playing time is decreasing drastically (good thing). ND went 3 deep at dline, and 2 deep everywhere else.

I was at the game, Wake had less than 300 total yards going into the fourth quarter to NDs 500. ND put in the 3rd string D, and they were able to march down slowly run down the field.

I was thoroughly impressed with the D, they lived in the backfield while playing 5dbs the first 3 quarters. Hartman in the 3rd quarter literally tapped out and said he had enough.

ND will not be in nickel and Dime on first or second down much at all vs stanford.

"The only time they scored a TD was on a terrible roughing the passer call and nick coleman making a dumb mistake."

That roughing call will get called 100% of the time -- the game has changed ( but yea, his hands were up to try and tip the ball, he just needs to not come down on the QB's head -- or near it) -- and yea, Kelly gave Coleman an ear full on the sideline.

If you really want to look at how ND's D did against the run look at Wakes 3 main players.

Hartman - 16 carriers for 11 yards
Carney - 13 carries for 79 yards
colburn - 10 carries for 32 yards

That's 39 carries for 122 yards or 3.1 YPC

Newman came in and ran all over NDs 2nd and 3rd string the entire fourth quarter as ND played conservative.

In the first 3 quarters ND probably gave up 3 runs over 10 yards, yes mistakes were made on them but Nd was willing to give up some yards on the ground to eliminate the passing game.

Worked great.

"The only time they scored a TD was on a terrible roughing the passer call and nick coleman making a dumb mistake."

That roughing call will get called 100% of the time -- the game has changed ( but yea, his hands were up to try and tip the ball, he just needs to not come down on the QB's head -- or near it) -- and yea, Kelly gave Coleman an ear full on the sideline.
I don't disagree that it's going to get called, but it's just awful. It was bang bang play. If Hartman wasn't 180lbs and did a back flip it may not have been called.

I was at the game, Wake had less than 300 total yards going into the fourth quarter to NDs 500. ND put in the 3rd string D, and they were able to slowly march down the field.

agreed, i think its a great matchup for the ND defense.

yeah thats the right call in todays game. not sure how he could have avoided it. tough break.

Reactions: Kelso86

Don’t get me wrong, it was a good performance by the D, not complaining at all. Especially considering the tempo and the temp on the field, also one of the TD’s was scored when we had 5 or 6 frosh on the field. I was happy with the d, can get better however an certainly things to clean up.

Don’t get me wrong, it was a good performance by the D, not complaining at all. Especially considering the tempo and the temp on the field, also one of the TD’s was scored when we had 5 or 6 frosh on the field. I was happy with the d, can get better however an certainly things to clean up.
of course, then again every coach can and does say that after pretty much every game.

No question, but my point is if you told brian kelly before the game this is how your defense will play and the results that come not knowing what the offense would do, he would have taken it 100 times out of 100. For wake to score their 2nd TD against our 2nd string at the end of the 3rd quarter. Impressive. Honestly, ND holds wake under 20 if that was their goal.

"The one that gave up like 27 points

There is room to improve and we did not play to our ability."

I thought Crawford was done for the season? I did not see him on the field.

And remember, of those 27 points, were a few stops where WF either kicked a FG (2 of them) and also missed a few -- I guess, their tempo and the weather could not have atttiributed to that either (and the massive amount of substitutions)... but I guess perfection is one thing that we all strive for.

Well, at least it is nice to see that you feel that there is always room for improvement
Kelsi. Me bad. Not Crawford. It was I believe Coleman

Reactions: Kelso86

The former head of officiating came on & said it was a bad call. Even Blackledge (after seeing the replay while the former official was talking) said it was a bad call.
He hit his forearm on the QBs chest, not his head or neck, & it was immediately after the release of the ball. No penalty.
I have it on DVR. Just watched it.
Bad call. ND sent it in to the ACC in their after game review.

Last edited:
Reactions: francade

It's still a question mark. It could be we were just practicing the backups (which should've been done vs dUM&BallSt). Or it could be a storm crow ala failure to smother UNC in 2014 and I think WF in 2017.

Next time Bonner should just lay him out WWE-launch-himself-off-the-ropes style if the ref is going to call it anyway. Although the double chop to the chest was quite epic.

xQLeP_medium.gif

No question, but my point is if you told brian kelly before the game this is how your defense will play and the results that come not knowing what the offense would do, he would have taken it 100 times out of 100. For wake to score their 2nd TD against our 2nd string at the end of the 3rd quarter. Impressive. Honestly, ND holds wake under 20 if that was their goal.
Yes, I’ll take that 100 times out of 100 as well. They could have very well help them to 13 if they needed to, just saying things need to be cleaned up in practice this week, and Lea needs to assure them it isn’t acceptable to have terrible penalties on 3rd down.

That roughing call was brutal. They should be able to pick that up after review. Terrible call.

Nowadays you just have to be grateful it wasn't "targeting" which is often called on generic hard hits.

The former head of officiating came on & said it was a bad call. Even Blackledge (after seeing the replay while the former official was talking) said it was a bad call.
He hit his forearm on the QBs chest, not his head or neck, & it was immediately after the release of the ball. No penalty.
I have it on DVR. Just watched it.
Bad call. ND sent it in to the ACC in their after game review.
its going to get called 95% in todays game. only matters what the official thinks. tough break. nothing else bonner could do. at least its not as bad as the current NFL nonsense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT