ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Hudson expectations and hope

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
A new hope. This isn't star wars but it's a new hope for sure. With the big aspirations gone the firing of BVG has brought us a new hope. Tuning in now to see what if any improvement we've made on defense will be fun going forward.

On Hudson himself...

I hope people keep in perspective it's mid season and look at the right things to see improvement or no change.

Three things he can immediately have an impact on in order from easiest to hardest.

Tackling, coverage, and front seven pressure on the QB.

Please don't look at the scoreboard while evaluating him but rather look for text book tackling...good pursuit angles, better deep coverage as in NOBODY SO EASILY GETTING BEHIND OUR SECONDARY...

These things are very easily fixable and if he is a decent coach we will see improvement on this by NC state week. Huge strides on defense by Stanford week. It really is that simple and can be that quick.

These kids came from high school being taught good fundamentals. BVG allowed them to play careless and get away from those intricate details.

Trust me it won't be very hard to get them back in the groove of good tackling and fundamental football.

The rest of the year brings us new hope.

Top athletes. Light experience. Good scheme and playing to protect your weakness will make a difference.

Gotta fix that pass rush and angles in the secondary.

Hudson is a really good coach. No doubt about it.
Love the guy.

You're only issue is he really LOVES opiates. If he can steer clear of that problem and minimize it, you guys are gold.

Don't think there is a lot of change a new DC can make in mid season. The changes will have to come gradually, since the guys have been practicing under the BVG schemes for a while and it will take a few weeks to deprogram that way of thinking and reprogram them into anything "new".

Its very possible the new DC will keep the BVG schemes, but scale it down to what the guys do best and keep it as simple as possible for the time being.

Don't think there is a lot of change a new DC can make in mid season. The changes will have to come gradually, since the guys have been practicing under the BVG schemes for a while and it will take a few weeks to deprogram that way of thinking and reprogram them into anything "new".

Its very possible the new DC will keep the BVG schemes, but scale it down to what the guys do best and keep it as simple as possible for the time being.

Herb, I agree with you. The best thing that could happen with the D and the team is a change in attitude.

linked an article on Hudson from 247

I set it separate because it may get axed by the mods a/c TOS free article.

Hudson is a really good coach. No doubt about it.
Love the guy.

You're only issue is he really LOVES opiates. If he can steer clear of that problem and minimize it, you guys are gold.

Wow, what's up with that??

Team defensive statistics where Hudson was defensive coordinator.

Total Defense Passing Defense Rushing Defense Ref
2004 Minnesota 80th 110th 48th [7]
2005 East Carolina 82nd 18th 114th [8]
2006 East Carolina 59th 40th 69th [9]
2007 East Carolina 96th 113th 53rd [10]
2008 East Carolina 63rd 68th 72nd [11]
2009 East Carolina 100th 116th 39th [12]
2013 Purdue 95th 33rd 116th [13]
2014 Purdue 83rd 56th 96th [14]
2015 Purdue 111th 88th 107th [15]

Wow, what's up with that??

Team defensive statistics where Hudson was defensive coordinator.

Total Defense Passing Defense Rushing Defense Ref
2004 Minnesota 80th 110th 48th [7]
2005 East Carolina 82nd 18th 114th [8]
2006 East Carolina 59th 40th 69th [9]
2007 East Carolina 96th 113th 53rd [10]
2008 East Carolina 63rd 68th 72nd [11]
2009 East Carolina 100th 116th 39th [12]
2013 Purdue 95th 33rd 116th [13]
2014 Purdue 83rd 56th 96th [14]
2015 Purdue 111th 88th 107th [15]

It appears based on this he is a short term answer

What is the vegas line on Kelly making it through the season?

He'll most likely make it...how firm his footing will be is the question...

The whole thing is so unfortunate. imo Had we kept Diaco's D and built some enhancements into it we'd be so much better off. Nothing fancy....I miss Farley blitzing off the edge in that scheme and getting to the QB.....

As is, we paid for a Ferrari and got curtain # 3.... kelly was the buyer....

14.jpg

Reactions: zonairish and 88ND
He'll most likely make it...how firm his footing will be is the question...

The whole thing is so unfortunate. imo Had we kept Diaco's D and built some enhancements into it we'd be so much better off. Nothing fancy....I miss Farley blitzing off the edge in that scheme and getting to the QB.....

As is, we paid for a Ferrari and got curtain # 3.... kelly was the buyer....

14.jpg
Not only that but this whole thing since D'iaco left has been a total cluster ****.

Remember all world Jaylon.

Jaylon came here as an outside backer. It's his bread and butter.

If he heals back to anything close to 100% even 95% he would be ridiculous rushing off the edge every play in a 3-4

The very defense we ran...the very one he signed with ND to play that got shit canned to run a total cluster **** of a defense.

Reactions: cgvr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT