ADVERTISEMENT

QB Play; OL; Front 7.

47WimanND

Irish Expert
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2016
LA,CA
Nothing personal against Buchner, but I just don't like his throwing motion. I hope he develops into the best ever. He also doesn't have that swagger that great QB's have.

I was not impressed with the OL at all. I was really expecting Heistand to have a great product on the field. Hopefully, the improvement from week one to two will be evident.

In the 2nd half, the front 7 disappeared. The CBs and Safeties were better than expected but no stopping OSU's run and no pressure on the OB.

I hope Freeman expresses more anger in the unseen practices and meetings. Not purple-faced BS, but something other than his calm Gametime demeanor.

It's true that he doesn't have a lot of swagger. He's more of a choir boy type. But he's definitely a hustler and a gamer. And I think his pure passing ability in the abstract is fine. His 'arm talent'......

But it does look like he'll need to be developed as a passer, and learn how to read defenses and hang in the pocket and all that shit. Not sure Rees is up to the challenge of developing a talented but fairly raw-looking passing QB. My worry is that there will be a learning curve, and they might panic and just turn him into a run-first, read-option QB.

But maybe that's the smart play. You gotta win games now, and he definitely can run. And he can improve his passing as he goes, as much as he can manage.....

It's true that he doesn't have a lot of swagger. He's more of a choir boy type. But he's definitely a hustler and a gamer. And I think his pure passing ability in the abstract is fine. His 'arm talent'......

But it does look like he'll need to be developed as a passer, and learn how to read defenses and hang in the pocket and all that shit. Not sure Rees is up to the challenge of developing a talented but fairly raw-looking passing QB. My worry is that there will be a learning curve, and they might panic and just turn him into a run-first, read-option QB.

But maybe that's the smart play. You gotta win games now, and he definitely can run. And he can improve his passing as he goes, as much as he can manage.....
I remember Rees when he played. He had "something", obviously not enough to play in the NFL, but he had a presence and the team responded to him for the most part. He also had a calm demeanor in the pocket. Maybe he can't teach that to someone else, but with a coach as a father, he should have some coaching skills.

I remember Rees when he played. He had "something", obviously not enough to play in the NFL, but he had a presence and the team responded to him for the most part. He also had a calm demeanor in the pocket. Maybe he can't teach that to someone else, but with a coach as a father, he should have some coaching skills.
Something's proper name is Michael Floyd.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Really, I thought Rees was mainly just a markedly untalented QB. Or at least not physically gifted. In fact, so not-physically gifted that it really did cut into his effectiveness.

I've never seen a player that slow before, I feel like saying. Not just slow on his feet, but just slow in everything he did. Including decision making. But that's probably a good thing, a good sign, for an eventual coach because it means he's always thinking things through....

He definitely did yeoman's work for us. Tommy Rees owes BK pretty much everything he is and has in the sport of football. And yet at the same time, BK was certainly glad to have had Rees around. He saved our ass more than once, even if he was obviously not a championship-level QB.....

Really, I thought Rees was mainly just a markedly untalented QB. Or at least not physically gifted. In fact, so not-physically gifted that it really did cut into his effectiveness.

I've never seen a player that slow before, I feel like saying. Not just slow on his feet, but just slow in everything he did. Including decision making. But that's probably a good thing, a good sign, for an eventual coach because it means he's always thinking things through....

He definitely did yeoman's work for us. Tommy Rees owes BK pretty much everything he is and has in the sport of football. And yet at the same time, BK was certainly glad to have had Rees around. He saved our ass more than once, even if he was obviously not a championship-level QB.....
What gets me is everyone says Rees will be off to the NFL next year, yet we can't seem to get rid of him as the OC quick enough. One of Freeman's "issues' is that he comes from a defensive football background. As HC he needs to decide on what type of offense he wants to run and either get on the same page with Rees or move on to someone else. His problem is that his coaching circle are defensive guys.

Against OSU it looked like he wanted to control the clock and keep OSU off the field. It worked for a half but either he got out-coached in the 2nd half, the defensive front seven got gassed or OSU's talent simply outplayed ours, or all of the above. Still an 11 point loss I can live with. If he doesn't kick the crap out of Marshall, then we have a problem. They run the ball well, so he better fix the front seven.

I'm hoping for a 9-3 season (maybe 10-2) and that Freeman learns the HC job title real fast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT