ADVERTISEMENT

Gotta feel for Elko some there in College Station.

Dec 29, 2005
It seems like a lot of players didn’t even give him a chance hear his pitch to them. They are hemorrhaging highly ranked recruits. Several four and five star guys.

QB, a few OL, the DL surprises me because Elko has done a nice job shaping defenses IMO.

Teams like OSU/ND seem to be losing more non starters, A&M is losing several guys expected to be big contributors for the Aggies next season.

It’s tough, when you’re at Duke, you want to strike while the iron is hot, and level up with a better coaching job. But Texas A&M has always seemed like a delusional and impatient fan base. It’s an 8-4 football program that thinks it’s Alabama, Georgia or LSU and should be sitting with multiple National Championships.

Reactions: tbonesays
It’s tough, when you’re at Duke, you want to strike while the iron is hot, and level up with a better coaching job. But Texas A&M has always seemed like a delusional and impatient fan base. It’s an 8-4 football program that thinks it’s Alabama, Georgia or LSU and should be sitting with multiple National Championships.
They have the resources to be at the very top, and they are not afraid to spend money. Is it a delusional fanbase, or a dysfunctional institution?

It seems like a lot of players didn’t even give him a chance hear his pitch to them. They are hemorrhaging highly ranked recruits. Several four and five star guys.

QB, a few OL, the DL surprises me because Elko has done a nice job shaping defenses IMO.

Teams like OSU/ND seem to be losing more non starters, A&M is losing several guys expected to be big contributors for the Aggies next season.
I’m sure he 99% expected it—this is going to be the norm if there’s a coaching change. The good news for him is that A&M has the resources to go and get different guys over the next few years, and I’m sure they will.

I'm not too surprised. That was a dysfunctional locker room under Fisher. Although weren't most of their players recruited with big NIL money? So do they have to give some of it back if they leave early?

They have the resources to be at the very top, and they are not afraid to spend money. Is it a delusional fanbase, or a dysfunctional institution?
The upper echelon of the SEC also has the same resources as TAM. Georgia, Alabama, Oklahoma, LSU, and Texas won't be outspent.

I'm not too surprised. That was a dysfunctional locker room under Fisher. Although weren't most of their players recruited with big NIL money? So do they have to give some of it back if they leave early?
Have to give it back? No. They can be sued for it. Or, they could return some of the money to avoid litigation. I imagine Fisher being fired voids many aspects of the contracts signed.

Those recruits their losing may be a blessing in disguise. I don't think recruits are going there for love of the university. A&M has a cultural problem in my opinion and it's gonna take awhile to get that cleaned up.

I agree that Elko will be fine, he will pull in solid talent and as A&M wins more games (which he will) they’ll pull in more offensive guys too.

I’m not saying all, but many fans were unappreciative of his time at MD because he left ND. He is a very good FB coach.

Sorry don't feel for him in the least!

Feel bad for Elko? lol. He left ND for ATM. Now he’s leaving Duke for ATM. He’s one very rich mofo and he has an unlimited budget to pay people like Dante’s dad. Save your pity. Someone else needs it.

Feel bad for Elko? lol. He left ND for ATM. Now he’s leaving Duke for ATM. He’s one very rich mofo and he has an unlimited budget to pay people like Dante’s dad. Save your pity. Someone else needs it.
My goodness, you people are such wet cloths. I said that more in jest, I’m not losing any sleep over his players leaving. I was more just saying it sucks for a new coach to have a bunch of guys jump into the portal before you get a chance to really talk to the team.

Don’t be such friggin drama queens all the time.

Reactions: NDblitz

Not really.

He left ND after 1 year. Left Duke after 2. In between left A+M and now returned.

He is doing what the portal now allows

Personally I believe Elko will turn TAM. He isn't resting and vesting. Jimbo clearly was.

I expect him to be methodical, gritty, lean, mean, and angry. Hungry for success. I think this will work out.

Let's see.

Personally I believe Elko will turn TAM. He isn't resting and vesting. Jimbo clearly was.

I expect him to be methodical, gritty, lean, mean, and angry. Hungry for success. I think this will work out.

Let's see.
If it doesn't work out, it's because Tx A&M allows its boosters to have too much input. I think Texas finally got some understanding that too much involvement from boosters was killing any chance of success in football. I didn't think Sark was going to accomplish anything there, but look at the Longhorns now. The Aggies have to have a similar "come to Jesus" moment.

Let's see.
Meanwhile, TAM is in a conference with Georgia, Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Tennessee, and LSU. And every school has mega money and cheats their collective asses off.

Good luck with that.

Meanwhile, TAM is in a conference with Georgia, Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Tennessee, and LSU. And every school has mega money and cheats their collective asses off.

Good luck with that.
Texas A&M has plenty of money to compete with any of them. For A&M the problem is getting the boosters out of the program, as far as trying to have a say in how things are run.

Texas A&M has plenty of money to compete with any of them. For A&M the problem is getting the boosters out of the program, as far as trying to have a say in how things are run.
And Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Tennessee, and Mississippi have plenty of money as well.

And Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Tennessee, and Mississippi have plenty of money as well.
Not saying that they don't. Understand what I am saying: Texas A&M is not at a financial DISADVANTAGE. They have as much money, and more, than a number of the programs you named.

Not saying that they don't. Understand what I am saying: Texas A&M is not at a financial DISADVANTAGE. They have as much money, and more, than a number of the programs you named.
The only one that may have more money on that list is Texas

TAM is in a conference with Georgia, Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, LSU, Mississippi, and Tennessee.

Mike Elko aint Kyle Shanahan, Jr., and their money won't make a dent in that conference.

TAM is in a conference with Georgia, Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, LSU, Mississippi, and Tennessee.

Mike Elko aint Kyle Shanahan, Jr., and their money won't make a dent in that conference.
You really have NO CLUE what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Golson5
You can win a lot of games in the ACC with less talent and good coaching. You can't win a lot of games in the SEC without great talent regardless of coaching. His success will be entirely dependent on if he can keep bringing in top players. It helps that he has a big spending account for them.

You can win a lot of games in the ACC with less talent and good coaching. You can't win a lot of games in the SEC without great talent regardless of coaching. His success will be entirely dependent on if he can keep bringing in top players. It helps that he has a big spending account for them.
You can win a lot of games in the SeC without great talent

See Ole Miss and Missouri. They have good but not great talent

He’s an excellent coach, and yes it sucks he’s losing so many high upside players before he even arrives. But, gives him an opportunity to quickly get his kind of players via transfers and recruiting. He did this well at Duke, and I think he’ll do very well with the A&M resources behind him.

He’s an excellent coach, and yes it sucks he’s losing so many high upside players before he even arrives. But, gives him an opportunity to quickly get his kind of players via transfers and recruiting. He did this well at Duke, and I think he’ll do very well with the A&M resources behind him.
The only thing that would keep Elko from being successful at A&M is him not having the backing of the university to keep outside influences completely outside the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT