ADVERTISEMENT

God bless the Bishop of Camden!!!

So the Bishop wants you to respect his 1st amendment freedom of religion while abridging the 1st amendment free speech rights of his students. Hypocrisy is alive and well.

So the Bishop wants you to respect his 1st amendment freedom of religion while abridging the 1st amendment free speech rights of his students. Hypocrisy is alive and well.
1st Amendment free speech protects you from the government, not a coach, parent, private school or employer. Ever notice how kids get suspended for remarks on social media? Nobody cries foul on free speech rights when that happens.

The students have all the right in the world to sit for the anthem just as the coach has the freedom to his speech, "Ride the Pine."

Nothing like forcing someone to do something under penalty of punishment to enforce respect for freedom.

People in this country have wrapped themselves so tightly in the flag it's cut off oxygen to their brains.

Reactions: chaseball
bizzybecknd: I wasn't talking legal enforcement of 1st Amendment rights, I was talking about affording others the same respect for their rights that the Bishop undoubtedly insists upon for himself and his church.

yep, gotta love those bishops, just like ours who knowingly hid a pedophile in our church who forever changed the life of a young friend of mine.

This has nothing to do with freedom of speech. I called the President of our company a drunk in a meeting and I was nearly terminated. Had I continued after I was told to stop talking, I would have. Freedom of speech would not have protected me. A company, a team or any institution has their own guidlelines as to what can be said and where. When people say anything about freedom of speech, I don't think they remotely understand what that is.

It certainly is about freedom of speech. I have the right to not stand for the anthem, I have the right to spit on or burn our flag. That is exactly what our flag stands for, my right of symbolic speech to protest what I believe to be an injustice. This is what the bishop should be teaching. I may not like the fact that the person who is sitting next to me while I am standing for the anthem but when I look at the flag I am happy that he has that right to do so and that is so much more important than him standing

Reactions: Irish Duck
Good for the Bishop. The kids need to learn respect. they do not anymore. these so called 1st amendment people do not realize Catholic school is not a democracy. Also where is the pride in your country.

Reactions: mbd11
Thanks BGI and thanks to the Bishop as well ! Liberals and Liberal instutions are really for free speech and freedom of expression as long as one does not disagree with them.
once one disagrees , the person who disagrees, is a
Deplorable Person. He is called every kind of nasty name to
shut down his free speech.
the Perfect example is the shouting down of Conservative
speakers ( on those rare occasions hen a Conservative is invited to speak ) at Liberal Universities.

Thanks BGI and thanks to the Bishop as well ! Liberals and Liberal instutions are really for free speech and freedom of expression as long as one does not disagree with them.
once one disagrees , the person who disagrees, is a
Deplorable Person. He is called every kind of nasty name to
shut down his free speech.
the Perfect example is the shouting down of Conservative
speakers ( on those rare occasions hen a Conservative is invited to speak ) at Liberal Universities.

Or, the perfect example is Colin Kaepernick, who expressed himself and has been called all kinds of nasty names to shut down his free speech by conservatives.

It goes both ways.

Reactions: Walruzz
It certainly is about freedom of speech. I have the right to not stand for the anthem, I have the right to spit on or burn our flag. That is exactly what our flag stands for, my right of symbolic speech to protest what I believe to be an injustice. This is what the bishop should be teaching. I may not like the fact that the person who is sitting next to me while I am standing for the anthem but when I look at the flag I am happy that he has that right to do so and that is so much more important than him standing
Amen, I'm also happy that the coach has the right to say "Sit Down". Freedom of speech doesn't mean it doesn't come with out consequence from schools, superiors, teachers, employers, coaches, etc. It only protects you from the reach of the law and government.

M point of view is that our flag stands for the right
of everyone in our country to have the freedom to seek " Life , Liberty, and the persuit of Happiness " and the Opportunity to
achieve whatever goals that they are willing to work to attain.
the flag repesents to me the the Greatness of our Nation
and the courage and the sacrifices of the Patriots who fought,
bled, and died for our Country and our flag, like the men who raised the Flag
on Iwo Jima.
God Bless America, Our Flag, our National Anthem,
and our Military and Police !

Or, the perfect example is Colin Kaepernick, who expressed himself and has been called all kinds of nasty names to shut down his free speech by conservatives.

It goes both ways.

NDE,
Good point : However, there is a difference: Koepernick's
disrespect for our National Anthem is a " Slap in the face " to all our Military past and present who have sacrificied and died for our Country. It is also insulting to other Patriotic Americans who
were booing and calling Koepernick names. I don't know and neither do you if all those people booing and calling Koepernich
"Nasty names" were Liberal, Conservative, Independent, etc.
I guess that you can also say that all students and Faculty are not Liberal, but I think that we can agree that very
few Conservatives are going to shout down a Conservative
speaker at a University ?

NDE,
disrespect for our National Anthem is a " Slap in the face " to all our Military past and present who have sacrificied and died for our Country. It is also insulting to other Patriotic Americans who
were booing and calling Koepernick names. I don't know and neither do you if all those people booing and calling Koepernich
I guess that you can also say that all students and Faculty are not Liberal, but I think that we can agree that very

I think it's a reasonably safe assumption that the majority of people who are bothered by Colin Kaepernick are conservative. I haven't seen a ton of liberal outlets criticizing him for what he's done, or to suggest that he's sympathetic to ISIS, as one leading conservative congressman said.

It doesn't really matter whether people found his actions to be a "slap in the face". There are certain conservative speakers who have said things that liberals find to be a "slap in the face".

The national anthem and the flag can mean many things to many people. There's no universal interpretation for what either one means, which I think is one of the great things about the country. To you or to me, it may represent one thing. To Colin Kaepernick, maybe it represents another thing. That's fine, and we can disagree, but if you shout him down, then you're no different than the situation you spelled out before.

NDE,

Also rgc - for what it's worth, I should note that I'm also bothered by the fact that certain speakers (generally, but not always, conservative ones) have had invitations rescinded to speak at universities. While acknowledging that most people at universities (both faculty and students) are liberals, I don't necessarily think it's a liberal thing. Truthfully, I think both sides tend to retreat into their own echo chambers and don't welcome anyone expressing a different opinion.

Also rgc - for what it's worth, I should note that I'm also bothered by the fact that certain speakers (generally, but not always, conservative ones) have had invitations rescinded to speak at universities. While acknowledging that most people at universities (both faculty and students) are liberals, I don't necessarily think it's a liberal thing. Truthfully, I think both sides tend to retreat into their own echo chambers and don't welcome anyone expressing a different opinion.

NDE,
Good thought! while we may disagree on many issues,
I always enjoy reading your posts and posting with you.

NDE,
Good thought! while we may disagree on many issues,
I always enjoy reading your posts and posting with you.

Thanks rgc - same to you, and hope you're doing well.

I tend to think that if you and I grabbed lunch or drinks, we'd probably agree on more than we disagree, and on what we disagree, we'd at least still do it civilly and leave the discussion wanting to meet again.

I tend to think that so much of the heightened animosity in today's society would be lessened if people actually sought out opportunities to meet those with different points of view, to hear their stories, and to share their own personal stories. It would behoove people who think that those like Kaepernick have nothing to complain about to meet more minorities, to hear stories that they have about feeling targeted and singled out. It would also behoove people who demonize police officers to meet more officers and their families, to hear about the difficulties of the job and the concern that their families have when they are out on the beat. As our society has become more connected through social media and the internet, we've somehow become less connected, too. My $0.02 for the day.

Reactions: Walruzz
I would expect nothing less from a bishop. If you allow youngsters to start questioning institutions, they will eventually start questioning modern mythologies such as Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc. At that point, the bishop will be out of a tax-supported job.

I think it's a reasonably safe assumption that the majority of people who are bothered by Colin Kaepernick are conservative. I haven't seen a ton of liberal outlets criticizing him for what he's done, or to suggest that he's sympathetic to ISIS, as one leading conservative congressman said.

It doesn't really matter whether people found his actions to be a "slap in the face". There are certain conservative speakers who have said things that liberals find to be a "slap in the face".

The national anthem and the flag can mean many things to many people. There's no universal interpretation for what either one means, which I think is one of the great things about the country. To you or to me, it may represent one thing. To Colin Kaepernick, maybe it represents another thing. That's fine, and we can disagree, but if you shout him down, then you're no different than the situation you spelled out before.

NDE,
I answered the last post but missed this one. I find that I agree with you on most of your points. While I would think,that the Large majotiry of Americans would be bothered by Koepernick' s actions ( since the American that I was brought up in has changed, I may be dead wrong on this . ) regardless of political views ?
I would agree with you that Liberal outlets have not been critical and Conservative ones certainlyhave been.
I have seen a lot of criticizing of K , but I have also seen
him being interviewed and have not seen anyone shout him down, not saying it didn't happen ? I know that he was booed,
but since he made his statement , no one hindered him from
making that statement, I think the fans booing and even name calling ( personally I don't like name calling ) were the fans way of expressing their disapproval ?
while I can not disagree with you on this, I find that fact most disturbing personally. Growing up in WWII, and later fighting in Korea, our National Symbols were sacred.
Every mother or wife whose son or husband makes the ultimate sacrifice, was and still is given a flag. Too many buildings in my
neighborhood had gold stars in their windows. Time were certainly different then and Patriotism was extremely high.

NDE,
I answered the last post but missed this one. I find that I agree with you on most of your points. While I would think,that the Large majotiry of Americans would be bothered by Koepernick' s actions ( since the American that I was brought up in has changed, I may be dead wrong on this . ) regardless of political views ?
I would agree with you that Liberal outlets have not been critical and Conservative ones certainlyhave been.
I have seen a lot of criticizing of K , but I have also seen
him being interviewed and have not seen anyone shout him down, not saying it didn't happen ? I know that he was booed,
but since he made his statement , no one hindered him from
making that statement, I think the fans booing and even name calling ( personally I don't like name calling ) were the fans way of expressing their disapproval ?
while I can not disagree with you on this, I find that fact most disturbing personally. Growing up in WWII, and later fighting in Korea, our National Symbols were sacred.
Every mother or wife whose son or husband makes the ultimate sacrifice, was and still is given a flag. Too many buildings in my
neighborhood had gold stars in their windows. Time were certainly different then and Patriotism was extremely high.

While I am grateful for your service, as well as those of thousands of others, you did not fight for the flag. You did not fight for the National Anthem. You fought for the principles that the flag and anthem symbolize. Those principles include freedom of speech, as well as freedom of religion, freedom of the press, etc. Refusing to honor a symbol because you believe that this country is failing to live up to its principles is an honorable thing to do. You don't have to agree with Kapernick and you don't have to agree with me. You should however recognize that this country grants us the right to be wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: fenhead
Thanks rgc - same to you, and hope you're doing well.

I tend to think that if you and I grabbed lunch or drinks, we'd probably agree on more than we disagree, and on what we disagree, we'd at least still do it civilly and leave the discussion wanting to meet again.

I tend to think that so much of the heightened animosity in today's society would be lessened if people actually sought out opportunities to meet those with different points of view, to hear their stories, and to share their own personal stories. It would behoove people who think that those like Kaepernick have nothing to complain about to meet more minorities, to hear stories that they have about feeling targeted and singled out. It would also behoove people who demonize police officers to meet more officers and their families, to hear about the difficulties of the job and the concern that their families have when they are out on the beat. As our society has become more connected through social media and the internet, we've somehow become less connected, too. My $0.02 for the day.

NDE,
I was thinking the same thoughts that ou exprssed in your first paragraph. It looks like after all these years that , Poet and I will be meeting up when he comes out here to Arizon on a job. Some yers ago, a group of us on the Board all got together
and we all meet at ND to see a football game.
Really some gret people. We all got to go into the stadium, touch the " Play Like Champion " sign, went to the Pep Rally, tailgateg , went to the game, and finished it off by
going to mass.
Unfortunately, most of those people are no longer with us. I still keep in contact with one of the guys, but not as often as we should.
Good points about the Black Community and the police. As I see it, it is really a dilema. When I counseled in an almost all black school during the Johnson Administration, I got to see many of the problems first hand. The Great Society was
suppossed to solve them ? Unfortunatel , all the problems that I saw in the 1960's hve only worsened.
one good thing that I see is that problems are starting
to b debated and brought out in the open. perhaps , some good will come out of the " Debate "

While I am grateful for your service, as well as those of thousands of others, you did not fight for the flag. You did not fight nor the National Anthem. You fought for the principles that the flag and anthem symbolize. Those principles include freedom of speech, as well as freedom of religion, freedom of the press, etc. Refusing to honor a symbol because you believe that this country is failing to live up to its principles is an honorable thing to do. You don't have to agree with Kapernick and you don't have to agree with me. You should however recognize that this country grants us the right to be wrong.

What a bunch of BS

Cardinal Dolan,
also nade an interesting comment About " Catholic " politicians unsing the Catholic Faith to promote causes that
are in direct opposition to Catholic teachings.
Unortunatele, I could not download the article, but it was
somewhere in a small paragraph in the New York Post.
He was speaking specifically about Catholics for Abortion.

I see the liberals quickly jump on Trump for his speech but are quiet on this- all about agenda. God forbid you call out a minority group in this country but gain support when calling out police/military.

The same liberals who cry for freedoms of all ideas and beliefs applauded when Manny Pacquiao was booted out of a mall in LA for his speech on gays and applaud when groups protest BYU getting into the B12... Do we not see the movement here? The hypocrisy?

Those are actual, real consequences taking place for beliefs and speech, which I think is fine but by the same token don't cry when a private company doesn't want to bake a gay couple a cake. Can't have it both ways.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT