ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Leahy

Thx. I travel there on business often. Do you know the cemetery? Id like to visit. Sure I can find it if not. Thanks!

Reactions: greengael
Interesting tidbit: Leahy was coached by Rockne and Leahy was the line coach for Fordham when Lombardi played there.

I remember when I was a kid, the Chicago CBS station used to interview him every so often during the football season, so I always thought he lived in Chicago. Anyone know how he ended up in Portland? I'm guessing one of his kids lived out there.

one of the top five greatest college football coaches of all time in my opinion when you look back on what his teams did and look at his win percentage while at nd

Interesting tidbit: Leahy was coached by Rockne and Leahy was the line coach for Fordham when Lombardi played there.

I remember when I was a kid, the Chicago CBS station used to interview him every so often during the football season, so I always thought he lived in Chicago. Anyone know how he ended up in Portland? I'm guessing one of his kids lived out there.

Additional tidbit, Hugh Devore was the other line coach and Jim Crowley was the Head coach at Fordham at that same time.

Additional tidbit, Hugh Devore was the other line coach and Jim Crowley was the Head coach at Fordham at that same time.

Does your St. Cecelia handle refer to the school where Lombardi got his start?

By the way, Lambeau Field is the only NFL stadium named for a former ND player.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Does your St. Cecelia handle refer to the school where Lombardi got his start?

By the way, Lambeau Field is the only NFL stadium named for a former ND player.

Yes it does. My dad played center for St Cecelia's for two years under Lombardi. Vince was hired to coach the O-line. In dad's senior yearbook (1940) he's standing two guys away from one of the greatest coaches of all time. Dad and his family told some great stories of his high school days.

Last edited:
Reactions: greengael
Yes it does. My dad played center for St Cecelia's for two years under Lombardi. Vince was hired to coach the O-line. In dad's senior yearbook (1940) he's standing two guys away from one of the greatest coaches of all time. Dad and his family told some great stories of his high school days.

Wow! I met a guy, the grandfather of a friend, who played with Lombardi at Fordham.

Wow! I met a guy, the grandfather of a friend, who played with Lombardi at Fordham.
That's cool. I have pictures of my dad blocking Lombardi as a senior at Saints. VL used to put on pads and make the o-line block him. He coached my uncle as well and taught my Aunt Chemistry. Dad was same year as Mickey Corcoran at Saints who ended up coaching Parcells.

Last edited:
In college my first year the speaker at a year end banquet for football Was Pete Carlissimo who had been the A.D.at Fordham and played as a reserve o-lineman with the Seven Blocks of Granite team that had Rose Bowl aspirations.He was a fine raconteur and had been a guest many times on the Johnny Carson Tonight show.Funny man told some great stories about Lombardi's grillwork[spitting his teeth out during a game and finishing the game. and All-American center Alex Wojekowski [sp?]. He didn't mention Leahy, he was more about the players. His son was the N.B.A. coach P.J. Carlissimo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT