ADVERTISEMENT

Former ND coaches

jcswoopnh

ND Expert
Sep 7, 2017
With Denson leaving, I was trying to think if any of Kelly's former coaches (fired,resigned,or left voluntarily) have been successful at their next job. Maybe Denbrock? Alford about the same?

With Denson leaving, I was trying to think if any of Kelly's former coaches (fired,resigned,or left voluntarily) have been successful at their next job. Maybe Denbrock? Alford about the same?
Define success?

The thing is what assistants of his go on to a prestigious football school?

Lots of uconn teams in the World who seem to want the Kelly assistants.

Any big 10, sec powers don't seem to be very interested in them.

Define success?

The thing is what assistants of his go on to a prestigious football school?

Lots of uconn teams in the World who seem to want the Kelly assistants.

Any big 10, sec powers don't seem to be very interested in them.
alford, elko and warinner don't count i guess.

Everyone is ‘fast track’, few of the ‘turks’ want to learn the trade, they all want to get that top job, ready or not. And there is no shortage of suckers thinking to give them a chance.

"alford, elko and warinner don't count i guess"

No they don't -- because then, 88 would have to say something positive about Kelly ....
WTF is there positive to say about Brian Kelly in regards to these three coaches.

Elko...was here as a coordinator for a cup of coffee.
His defense ranked 46th.

He was on the radar to be many schools DC before he ever stopped in South bend for his short stint. His little layover in South bend didn't help nor hinder his resume.

Alford.
Lateral move

Warriner.
Lateral move.

Those three were lateral moves unless you consider Notre Dame a second rate program...then you could say Brian Kelly helped them get to the Big time.

I however have higher expectations than considering ND a second rate program.

If Clark Lea was with BK for five plus years...showed a really good defensive squad yearly and left for a HC job at Penn State or something like that...

Enlighten me here...
You either think ND is a stepping stone to get to a really big football school or that desperate for positive compliments for BK because people left for a LATERAL move??

Good lord

WTF is there positive to say about Brian Kelly in regards to these three coaches.

Elko...was here as a coordinator for a cup of coffee.
His defense ranked 46th.

He was on the radar to be many schools DC before he ever stopped in South bend for his short stint. His little layover in South bend didn't help nor hinder his resume.

Alford.
Lateral move

Warriner.
Lateral move.

Those three were lateral moves unless you consider Notre Dame a second rate program...then you could say Brian Kelly helped them get to the Big time.

I however have higher expectations than considering ND a second rate program.

If Clark Lea was with BK for five plus years...showed a really good defensive squad yearly and left for a HC job at Penn State or something like that...

Enlighten me here...
You either think ND is a stepping stone to get to a really big football school or that desperate for positive compliments for BK because people left for a LATERAL move??

Good lord
you're the one who said the SEC or Big ten weren't interested in ND coaches.

Reactions: Pennick4
I assume that Matt LaFleur doesn't count.
I guess if you want a moral victory.

He was the redskins QB coach for four years. Our QB coach for ONE Year IN 2014.
Then immediately back to the NFL to be the Falcons QB coach for two years before being an OC twice in the NFL.

Chuck Martin has done a decent job at Miami of Ohio. Not setting the world on fire but he went into it a year after an 0-12 season I think. Slow rebuild and has been bowl eligeable last 2 of 3 seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcswoopnh
you're the one who said the SEC or Big ten weren't interested in ND coaches.
My apologies. I thought you were going to be able to read between the lines there.

Let's specify my very simple and common sense statement.

Did the coach work their way to ND...and then leave because they cut their teeth under BK and get a better position at a P5 school.

To help dissect further...
A coordinator who cut their teeth under BK that is being highly sought after for a HC position.

A positional coach who cut their teeth under BK that is being highly sought after for a coordinator job but ours isn't leaving....gets that coordinator job at P5 school.

Now I don't know about you but those examples are certainly credit worthy of one Brian Kelly. The only thing is we don't have those examples.

Perhaps Clark Lea will be that guy soneday. Maybe he gets the job here if he wants.

I would say of the two coordinators we have now he is in front of Long.

Last edited:
Chuck Martin has done a decent job at Miami of Ohio. Not setting the world on fire but he went into it a year after an 0-12 season I think. Slow rebuild and has been bowl eligeable last 2 of 3 seasons.
He's 22-39 at M of O

Interesting question to ask...

It's only about perception

Is being a coordinator at ND carrying more status among the Jones' than being HC at a second tier program like in the MAC.

I'm not poking fun at that.

It's a legit question because present day the only thing you hear anymore is power 5, power 5, power 5. (ND included in that P5 horseshit)

My apologies. I thought you were going to be able to read between the lines there.

Let's specify my very simple and common sense statement.

Did the coach work their way to ND...and then leave because they cut their teeth under BK and get a better position at a P5 school.

To help dissect further...
A coordinator who cut their teeth under BK that is being highly sought after for a HC position.

A positional coach who cut their teeth under BK that is being highly sought after for a coordinator job but ours isn't leaving....gets that coordinator job at P5 school.

Now I don't know about you but those examples are certainly credit worthy of one Brian Kelly. The only thing is we don't have those examples.

Perhaps Clark Lea will be that guy soneday. Maybe he gets the job here if he wants.

I would say of the two coordinators we have now he is in front of Long.
no in between the lines reading necessary. you made a statement that was patently untrue. it's ok to be wrong. one would think you'd be quite used to it.

He's 22-39 at M of O
Yup pretty nice job like I said. Came into a program in an absolute dumpster fire and has slowly built it back up. Last 2-3 years bowl eligeable, improved win total over nearly every previous season. Not a great job, not gonna get a p5 job yet off what he’s done, but a nice job and not failing.

no in between the lines reading necessary. you made a statement that was patently untrue. it's ok to be wrong. one would think you'd be quite used to it.
You went two days keeping the NPD in the garage.

What was untrue of what I said?

Still waiting to hear of a coaching move that progressed because of Brian Kelly.

Can you answer one?

Just one.

The success at their new job is irrelevant. Getting interest from the upper echelon of programs in a promotion type of move while cutting their teeth under BK....

I'll patiently wait.

I believe Cooks and Diaco were just cut by the new Oklahoma DC.

You went two days keeping the NPD in the garage.

What was untrue of what I said?

Still waiting to hear of a coaching move that progressed because of Brian Kelly.

Can you answer one?

Just one.

The success at their new job is irrelevant. Getting interest from the upper echelon of programs in a promotion type of move while cutting their teeth under BK....

I'll patiently wait.
You said no big ten or Sec schools were interested in ND assistant coaches. You were proven wrong. How about the NFL ? Does that count ? See Harry Hiestand. Pretty weak attempt at backpedaling from your position. Think more, post less.

Reactions: Pennick4
You said no big ten or Sec schools were interested in ND assistant coaches. You were proven wrong. How about the NFL ? Does that count ? See Harry Hiestand. Pretty weak attempt at backpedaling from your position. Think more, post less.
Don't know how I missed Harry. He's arguably the best oline coach out there

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT