ADVERTISEMENT

? for you guys regarding Bob Diaco

He did well at ND. He’s no Clark Lea, but he’s also not Brian VanGorder. He’s somewhere in between (more toward the Lea side). It’s a good hire for you guys.

Reactions: IrishMike409
He's competent but if you don't like "bend and keep bending" style of perma-prevent defense Disco will drive you mad.

we just hired him as our DC. I think it's a bad hire. Anyone here have any comments about him? thanx
My opinion is that congrats should be coming your way. Diaco was an outstanding DC at ND. His venture into being a HC didn’t go very well, nor his one season at dysfunctional Nebraska as their DC. He’s a gifted DC who jumped at the opportunity to be head coach, and probably should have waited for a better opportunity. Louisiana Tech was way fortunate to hire him, and their loss is your gain. I suspect you’ll rethink the bad hire conclusion if you give him two or three years to prove his worth. Again, congrats.

A lot of moving around. I feel bad for his family. I think his claim to fame was persistence on the recruiting trail i.e. Nix and Tuitt.

Reactions: tbonesays
DIaco seemed to do well (2012 DC) once his system and players were in place. I seem to remember problems with him passing on highly recruited players if they did not fit his 'size' profile. His M.O. at ND was 3-4 defense with specifics on height/weight for positions. Should prove out a good hire for you guys after a few years.

I liked Diaco. He took a defense that was absolutely terrible and taught sound fundamentals. He’s a bend, don’t break defensive coach so don’t expect a ton of defensive turnovers. He was also a lazy recruiter most of the time. With Purdue not being big with National recruiting, maybe he does better there though.

Oh, he also likes the 3-4 defense which I’m not sure you have the personnel for at this time. He was lucky in that respect at ND as the previous DC played a 3-4 as well. It may take a couple years to get your front 7 in order unless you can get some help thru the JUCO ranks.

Last edited:
A lot of moving around. I feel bad for his family. I think his claim to fame was persistence on the recruiting trail i.e. Nix and Tuitt.

I think you have to give Tony Alford credit for getting Nix while the ND HC job was vacant if I remember correctly. I would give him the persistence credit with I Williams for showing up at his house at 5 AM the day he was scheduled to take his trip to PSU, and closing the deal.

I think you have to give Tony Alford credit for getting Nix while the ND HC job was vacant if I remember correctly. I would give him the persistence credit with I Williams for showing up at his house at 5 AM the day he was scheduled to take his trip to PSU, and closing the deal.

Could be wrong, but I think he was basically forced to visit Ishaq Williams. Alford definitely got Nix and I believe Ian Williams was from the Corwin Brown regime.

Reactions: sluggo69
He is 100% football. He eats, sleeps and does everything football.

Great student of the game.

Players love playing for him.

He played LB for Hayden Fry at Iowa.

He is a GREAT recruiter.

Your defense will improve from day1.

Great hire!!!

Just not as a HC lol

Reactions: IrishMike409
What are your guys overall thoughts on him as a recruiter? The guy he’s replacing wasn’t a great recruiter so hopefully Diaco is an upgrade.

Appreciate the insight on the other stuff too.

What are your guys overall thoughts on him as a recruiter? The guy he’s replacing wasn’t a great recruiter so hopefully Diaco is an upgrade.

My understanding is that he’s a little lazy when it comes to recruiting. At least he was at ND and I’m not entirely sure why. Maybe the ego (he’s got a big one). Kids seems to like him though.

It was a long time ago but that sounds about right.

I'd like your DC from the 2018 OhioState game, or at least his game plan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT