ADVERTISEMENT

First official playoff rankings

I dont understand how both UNC and Syracuse can be ranked ahead of ND

Unc has 1 loss. We have 3
We thrashed UNC at UNC and we beat Syracuse by 17 points at Syracuse, so how can not one, but both of them be ranked ahead of us.

But let me put it another way.

is there one committee member on the ranking board that thinks that if ND played Syracuse again, home or away, that Syracuse would win ?

Answer that question.

We thrashed UNC at UNC and we beat Syracuse by 17 points at Syracuse, so how can not one, but both of them be ranked ahead of us.

is there one committee member on the ranking board that thinks that if ND played Syracuse again, home or away, that Syracuse would win ?

Answer that question.
They go by resume.

Unc has 1 loss. We have 3

Reactions: Airzee23
I get it but the Marshall and Stanford loses are bad.
I agree, however the rankings are contemporaneous, not historical!

it’s how you’re playing today, not a month ago.

Would any of those committee members bet on Syracuse if they played Notre Dame again. ?

So how can they rank Syracuse ahead of ND ?

I agree, however the rankings are contemporaneous, not historical!

it’s how you’re playing today, not a month ago.

Would any of those committee members bet on Syracuse if they played Notre Dame again. ?

So how can they rank Syracuse ahead of ND ?
Resume

How is SC ranked ahead of Utah or UCLA?
Brutal, Utah for sure should be ahead of USC. Similar to how they ranked a 2-loss LSU team ahead of a 1-loss Ole Miss team which LSU beat- why wouldn’t the same logic apply for Utahs win over SC?

This is as high as Clemson will get. They will drop out pretty qwik. Then consider tOSU vs UM will eliminate one of those teams. The SEC championship may eliminate either Bama, Tenn, or UGA. So some teams will move up based upon nothing they do, but others in front of them losing

I don’t get some of these fans. We shouldn’t be ranked. So worried about where everyone else is. We are not a good team right now. Too many issues, secondary, QB, OC, etc. We legitimately could have 2 more losses on the schedule coming up. Losses to Marshall and Stanford, end of conversation.

Reactions: Telx1 and Kelso86
it is not based on who they think the best team is. it’s based on record. So, it’s no better than a computer. nobody actually believes cuse and unc are better than nd, therefore it’s not based on who’s the best team

it is not based on who they think the best team is. it’s based on record. So, it’s no better than a computer. nobody actually believes cuse and unc are better than nd, therefore it’s not based on who’s the best team
Not true, they want the best 4 teams to be in the playoffs.

If you recall, in the past teams with no losses were bumped in favor of teams with losses, hence if it was strictly about your record, the record would be the sole determinate, and it’s not.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
Another case for ranking ND …….. ND is only a 4 point underdog against the # 4 ranked team.

If you recall, in the past teams with no losses were bumped in favor of teams with losses, hence if it was strictly about your record, the record would be the sole determinate, and it’s not.
They do not care outside the top 4 and it's clear. ND is better than cuse and UNC and nobody actually believes otherwise they're ranking it based on laziness and record which is not supposed to be the point

Never has an fbs p5 team with no losses missed the cfp

this year: SEC(2) ACC BIG: playoffs. Oregon has the only outside shot to bump the ACC.

Answer that question.
This is true, but you can’t rank based on this because you’ll wind up in a circular argument really, really quickly. The only thing you can go by is overall strength of record and overall efficiencies.

How is SC ranked ahead of Utah or UCLA?
well, the Utah game Loss by SC was very questionable given the fact that the league and officials had to apologize (half hearted as it was) for the calls on the last and game winning drive! No way were the P12 officials letting SC win that game!
UCLA/SC is probably a ‘push’ at this time. Neither is a bonafide playoff threat.

Resumes ?

ND’s resume includes two big wins over ranked teams, what impressive wins do UNC and Syracuse have ?
I agree with you on the Syracuse point. Even though they're 6-2 and we're 5-3, we just beat them handily at their place. And it's not like they have any great wins among those 6 wins. Their best win was over an NC State team missing its star QB.

USC has one loss, Utah two.

UCLA? We agree.

And as far as Notre Dame is concerned, when you lose to Marshall and Stanford at home, don't complain.
USC played two good teams. Lost to one. Forced 4 turnovers and beat the other one 17-14. And they've been in track meets with everyone else. This is the pro "we need SC to be good" bias. And I'm not complaining about ND. So you're barking up the wrong tree.

USC played two good teams. Lost to one. Forced 4 turnovers and beat the other one 17-14. And they've been in track meets with everyone else. This is the pro "we need SC to be good" bias. And I'm not complaining about ND. So you're barking up the wrong tree.
the loss is comparable to the ND/FSU loss awhile back; did you moan and groan and protest that ending?

There is no reason for the committee to worry about the UCAL vs SC rankings since they play each other. As to the ranking, SC lost a close game to Utah, UCLA lost badly to Oregon. That is probably the reason.

the loss is comparable to the ND/FSU loss awhile back; did you moan and groan and protest that ending?
SC/Utah. You mean the interception that got called back and the refs missed the hold by the RT and the late hit outta bounds? And then the clock stopped at 12 seconds while the play was going on and they put 13 seconds on. that outcome?

SC/Utah. You mean the interception that got called back and the refs missed the hold by the RT and the late hit outta bounds? And then the clock stopped at 12 seconds while the play was going on and they put 13 seconds on. that outcome?
the 8 penalties on the last drive? Don’t answer you lost any cells for objectivity long ago! You’reoneof those ND fans that live-in a box!

Losing to Marshall and Stanford at home is about as bad as it comes. You really cant over come those two.

1, yea, just a blip, happens. 2 of the worst teams in CFB, tough to get past for coaches and voters.

the 8 penalties on the last drive? Don’t answer you lost any cells for objectivity long ago! You’reoneof those ND fans that live-in a box!
Dumb ass! the last drive SC had the ball. You toolbox. You wouldn't know if a football was pumped or stuffed. Take your boyfriends undies off your face and reread.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
The rankings are hopelessly flawed.

Tennessee is # 1 and Georgia is # 3, but Georgia is favored by 8.

The committee should be required to bet on the team they rank higher when two ranked teams play against each other.

8 points !

Vegas should select the rankings !

The rankings are hopelessly flawed.

Tennessee is # 1 and Georgia is # 3, but Georgia is favored by 8.

The committee should be required to bet on the team they rank higher when two ranked teams play against each other.

8 points !

Vegas should select the rankings !
The resume is a major part of the rankings. You should know that by now

Fraud!

Reactions: sluggo69
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT