ADVERTISEMENT

First official playoff rankings

The resume is a major part of the rankings. You should know that by now

Fraud!
The sole purpose of the rankings is to determine, in order, the best 4 teams.

So, I’ll take Georgia, even up, and you take Tennessee.

How much do you want to bet you charlatan?

If that's the case a lot of people would be upset because Ga, Tenn and Bama are 3 of the best 4 teams in the country.

The committee has to weigh the resume, if they didn't, no reason to play the regular season because the outcomes of games don't matter

The game is at Georgia. If we wanted the 4 best teams only, we'd play all games on a neutral field.

{Alabama, UGA, Michigan, tOSU, Tenn} will provide your 2022 NC.

If that's the case a lot of people would be upset because Ga, Tenn and Bama are 3 of the best 4 teams in the country.

The committee has to weigh the resume, if they didn't, no reason to play the regular season because the outcomes of games don't matter

The game is at Georgia. If we wanted the 4 best teams only, we'd play all games on a neutral field.
Finally, we agree on something!

I’ve advocated for neutral sites for ALL playoff games.

Home field advantage is a reality and can add serious points to the scoreboard, it’s patently unfair to the visiting team.

Vegas is the ONLY reliable source for ranking the best teams

The rankings are hopelessly flawed.

Tennessee is # 1 and Georgia is # 3, but Georgia is favored by 8.

The committee should be required to bet on the team they rank higher when two ranked teams play against each other.

8 points !

Vegas should select the rankings !

Bama is still ahead of Tennessee in most power (Vegas) rankings. You can't have that.

Just like the AP poll, the committee seeks to balance the best teams and the most deserving teams. Bama may be one of the four best teams but they are not one of the six most deserving teams. They need to win out and become SEC champs to climb back in.

Early playoff prediction:

UGA beats UT then loses to Bama in the SEC title. Bama, UT, and UGA all end up with one loss.

Clemson goes undefeated
OSU goes undefeated
And UM has one loss

I’d honestly take a one loss UGA or UT over Clemson this year, and I say that as a big fan of Dabo/Clemson, they just do t see impressive at all.

OSU (1) Vs UT(4)
Bama (2) Vs UGA(3)

Reactions: tbonesays

UGA beats UT then loses to Bama in the SEC title. Bama, UT, and UGA all end up with one loss.

Clemson goes undefeated
OSU goes undefeated
And UM has one loss

I’d honestly take a one loss UGA or UT over Clemson this year, and I say that as a big fan of Dabo/Clemson, they just do t see impressive at all.

OSU (1) Vs UT(4)
Bama (2) Vs UGA(3)
ND will beat Clemson... believing DP has a great day passing!!!! The running game will take care of the rest!

Reactions: sluggo69
ND will beat Clemson... believing DP has a great day passing!!!! The running game will take care of the rest!
Pyne will throw for 400+ vs Clemson / ND defense will hold CU total offense to less than 200 yds.
A 40-7 ND W. Foskey gets 5 QB sacks!

Bama is still ahead of Tennessee in most power (Vegas) rankings. You can't have that.

Just like the AP poll, the committee seeks to balance the best teams and the most deserving teams. Bama may be one of the four best teams but they are not one of the six most deserving teams. They need to win out and become SEC champs to climb back in.
What differentiates the “best team/s” from “deserving teams”. ?

Vegas only knows, in order, who the best teams are and Vegas’s assessment of who the best teams are is far more acc than the committee’s!

Bama would be favored over Tennessee if they played tomorrow, guess they should be ranked #1?

Vegas only knows, in order, who the best teams are and Vegas’s assessment of who the best teams are is far more acc than the committee’s!
Then lets not play the games with a scoreboard. Outcome means nothing. So Bama ahead of Tenn

Nonsense!

Clemson goes undefeated
OSU goes undefeated
And UM has one loss

OSU (1) Vs UT(4)
Bama (2) Vs UGA(3)
Its definitely possible.

Would be a nightmare for sec haters if they get 3 in

It's called a resume. A team that went 6-6 against a schedule of all top 50 teams might have a top four power ranking but we would never consider them for a championship.

Most deserving are going to have the best record. Best teams might have some early losses.

By most power rankings, Texas is one of the best teams. Easily top ten. But with three losses, they are no where close to being one of the most deserving.

Most deserving are going to have the best record. Best teams might have some early losses.

By most power rankings, Texas is one of the best teams. Easily top ten. But with three losses, they are no where close to being one of the most deserving.
Texas being in anyone's top 10 is absolutely ridiculous

If the team with the best record plays a terribly weak schedule, why are they deserving ?

It's called a resume. A team that went 6-6 against a schedule of all top 50 teams might have a top four power ranking but we would never consider them for a championship.
You can see the flaw in this argument by examining the NFL where teams with the best record are often underdogs and beaten by teams with worse records.

Let Vegas select the best teams

Then lets not play the games with a scoreboard. Outcome means nothing. So Bama ahead of Tenn

Nonsense!
That’s an absurd conclusion !

The solution is for the professionals, the people who rate teams for a living, to select the best teams, not rank amateurs.

That’s an absurd conclusion !

The solution is for the professionals, the people who rate teams for a living, to select the best teams, not rank amateurs.
They'd have Alabama favored over Tenn. So they should be ranked higher.

Cant have that. Games on the field have to matter

The cfp committee has gotten the 4 teams right every year. Theyve done a good job

If the team with the best record plays a terribly weak schedule, why are they deserving ?

They aren't. But Tennessee has not played a terribly weak schedule. They are just behind Bama in power rankings.

Also, it isn't just record and schedule. Margin of victory and defeat play a part as well. If #1 Georgia plays Samford and wins by a field goal in OT, the Dawgs will be downgraded. If they win by five TDs in a shutout, they will remain highly ranked.

They aren't. But Tennessee has not played a terribly weak schedule. They are just behind Bama in power rankings.

Also, it isn't just record and schedule. Margin of victory and defeat play a part as well. If #1 Georgia plays Samford and wins by a field goal in OT, the Dawgs will be downgraded. If they win by five TDs in a shutout, they will remain highly ranked.
Georgia is now favored by 9 over Tennessee, do you want to take Tennessee even ?

Vegas is the ONLY reliable source for ranking the teams.

Georgia is now favored by 9 over Tennessee, do you want to take Tennessee even ?

Vegas is the ONLY reliable source for ranking the teams.
The committee has done a very good job of picking the 4 teams every year. I dont think they've messed up not one year

Pyne will throw for 400+ vs Clemson / ND defense will hold CU total offense to less than 200 yds.
A 40-7 ND W. Foskey gets 5 QB sacks!
Well if they play CU then yes they will but CLEMSON probably not.

You can see the flaw in this argument by examining the NFL where teams with the best record are often underdogs and beaten by teams with worse records.

Let Vegas select the best teams
Then why play the games?

Seems to take care of itself every year.

UGA is handling UT. Clemson will win out more than likely. OSU and Michigan will decide their fate and USC and UCLA will take care of that.

If TCU wins out you have a UGA, Clemson, TCU and OSU.

UGA is handling UT. Clemson will win out more than likely. OSU and Michigan will decide their fate and USC and UCLA will take care of that.

That’s reasonable !

Tcu wont win out. I dont think Clemson will either

Good chance sec gets 2 teams in, possibly but unlikely 3

The resume is a major part of the rankings. You should know that by now

Fraud!
So the committee got it wrong and Vegas and I got it right, so much for “resume”

The committee had Tennessee # 1, but Vegas knew that Georgia was the better team by far, by at least 9 points and they won by 14.

As I stated, the committee is comprised of amateurs, Vegas is comprised of pros who rate teams and games for a living.

You know nothing about football !

So the committee got it wrong and Vegas and I got it right, so much for “resume”

The committee had Tennessee # 1, but Vegas knew that Georgia was the better team by far, by at least 9 points and they won by 14.

As I stated, the committee is comprised of amateurs, Vegas is comprised of pros who rate teams and games for a living.

Georgia is the better team. Tenn deserved to be ranked higher. Not complicated

Georgia is the better team. Tenn deserved to be ranked higher. Not complicated
That’s beyond dumb !

The BETTER team should ALWAYS be ranked higher !

The purpose of the rankings is to determine the best teams, ergo the better, not the worse team should be ranked higher.

That’s beyond dumb !

The BETTER team should ALWAYS be ranked higher !

The purpose of the rankings is to determine the best teams, ergo the better, not the worse team should be ranked higher.

No. You have to earn your ranking by what you do on the field. Not by who is more talented

No. You have to earn your ranking by what you do on the field. Not by who is more talented
So it’s your stated opinion that Clemson should be ranked higher than Notre Dame.

Ditto UNC and Syracuse ?

Clemson and Unc should be ranked higher than Notre Dame. Not syracuse
Clemson got destroyed by ND, totally destroyed.

In addition ND also beat other ranked teams by good margins.

If resume counts, How did Clemson fare, compared to ND, against a common opponent, Syracuse.

You’re clueless !

You probably thinf that Tennessee should still be ranked higher than Georgia !

You’re clueless

Clemson got destroyed by ND, totally destroyed.

In addition ND also beat other ranked teams by good margins.

If resume counts, How did Clemson fare, compared to ND, against a common opponent, Syracuse.

You’re clueless
Cfp committee, ap, coaches, espn power rankings all have Clemson over ND

Sounds like you are the clueless one

Everyone is wrong except Patty

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT