ADVERTISEMENT

Final AP Poll

mbd11

I've posted how many times?
Oct 14, 2008
We should move into the Top 10 (finally). We were 14th, and 5 teams ahead of us lost.

Reactions: Zorich 88
We are 15th in the cfp rankings. We’ll finish 11 or 10. If I was a betting man I’d say 11. I don’t see a couple of the top 10 teams that lost falling behind us.

Reactions: Kelso86
We are 15th in the cfp rankings. We’ll finish 11 or 10. If I was a betting man I’d say 11. I don’t see a couple of the top 10 teams that lost falling behind us.

There's no final CFP Poll. And we should pass all 5 teams ahead of us that lost IMO. Oklahoma (the highest ranked of those teams) doesn't deserve to be ahead of us. They got destroyed, and they also barely beat Iowa State.

Speaking of things that do not matter one bit, I am curious as to next season pre-season ranking. Surely top ten given the way we ended the year, returning players, and the general extra hype ND gets in the off season that drives the haters crazy.

Speaking of things that do not matter one bit, I am curious as to next season pre-season ranking. Surely top ten given the way we ended the year, returning players, and the general extra hype ND gets in the off season that drives the haters crazy.
i'd say that's an accurate assessment.

Next year's ranking. Im guessing we start at between 8 and 12

Next year pre season
Clemson
OSU
Alabama
LSU

Georgia
Florida
PSU
Wisconsin
ND
Auburn
Oklahoma
Michigan
Oregon

We'll be somewhere in that 2nd mix

Next year's ranking. Im guessing we start at between 8 and 12

Next year pre season
Clemson
OSU
Alabama
LSU

Georgia
Florida
PSU
Wisconsin
ND
Auburn
Oklahoma
Michigan
Oregon

We'll be somewhere in that 2nd mix
not sure LSU will be that high. Enormous question mark at QB. replacing a guy who had a generational type season is far from a given.

I think #11 is likely but it really doesn't matter at all.
There's no final CFP Poll. And we should pass all 5 teams ahead of us that lost IMO. Oklahoma (the highest ranked of those teams) doesn't deserve to be ahead of us. They got destroyed, and they also barely beat Iowa State.

There is no way OU drops that low. We got absolutely destroyed last season by Clemson and we dropped to 5.
Comparing common opponents is meaningless.
ND got destroyed by a 4 loss Michigan team, does that mean Michigan should stay ahead of ND and Alabama would hang a 100 on ND? NO!

There is no way OU drops that low. We got absolutely destroyed last season by Clemson and we dropped to 5.
ND got destroyed by a 4 loss Michigan team, does that mean Michigan should stay ahead of ND and Alabama would hang a 100 on ND? NO!

We were 12-1 last year, after the loss. Oklahoma's now 12-2, and their 2 best wins were 2 very close wins over Baylor. The other teams ahead of us that lost are Baylor (11-3), Wisconsin (10-4), Auburn (9-4) and Utah (11-3). So at worst we should move up to #10, even if OU stays ahead of us.

Reactions: GoldCountryND
Loaded talent wise everywhere. The new system will help any QB
if they win it all they'll certainly get the benefit of the doubt. we shall see. Don't be surprised if Brady heads back to the NFL. He hates the recruiting aspect of the job and it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see one of these new head coach hires in the NFL offer him a spot as OC.

No Michigan has more than proven the ND game was a fluke.

Reactions: GoldCountryND
The Michigan game was no fluke. There is precedent. That game was no "one- off". We have all seen that look on BK and the player's faces before. It wasn't the weather. It wasn't the atmosphere. It wasn't the talent on Michigan. The game appeared to be too big for the staff and players.....again. BK has to re-re-re-re-evaluate the practice week leading up to games like this. Particularly himself and his staff. The VT game was the game that decided which way the season was to go. Probably the most important win in 2019.

That's optimistic. We didn't get too much help in bowl season other than Navy getting their 11th win.

The Michigan game was no fluke. There is precedent. That game was no "one- off". We have all seen that look on BK and the player's faces before. It wasn't the weather. It wasn't the atmosphere. It wasn't the talent on Michigan. The game appeared to be too big for the staff and players.....again. BK has to re-re-re-re-evaluate the practice week leading up to games like this. Particularly himself and his staff. The VT game was the game that decided which way the season was to go. Probably the most important win in 2019.

We played pretty well against UGA, which is better than Michigan. We just laid an egg in one game this year. That happens sometimes. But the last two years, we're 23-3. That's not too shabby.

Reactions: Pennick4
We played pretty well against UGA, which is better than Michigan. We just laid an egg in one game this year. That happens sometimes. But the last two years, we're 23-3. That's not too shabby.
The Michigan type loss extends beyond 2019. That's the issue. As far as Georgia, it was still a loss. 23-3 is really good. Our home win streak over the last two plus years is also very good.

Reactions: tbonesays
The Michigan type loss extends beyond 2019. That's the issue. As far as Georgia, it was still a loss. 23-3 is really good. Our home win streak over the last two plus years is also very good.

I agree. If this was just a one time bad loss, I could see getting a pass, but this has happened multiple times with BK. Personally speaking we do have the better team.
As much as I’m no longer on the BK bandwagon, I’m hoping Kelly fixes this and 2020 brings us a 12-0, 11-1 season with zero egg laying, and a playoff appearance.

I agree. If this was just a one time bad loss, I could see getting a pass, but this has happened multiple times with BK. Personally speaking we do have the better team.
As much as I’m no longer on the BK bandwagon, I’m hoping Kelly fixes this and 2020 brings us a 12-0, 11-1 season with zero egg laying, and a playoff appearance.
For me that Michigan loss was top 3 disasters under Kelly, hands down. Stunning. Nothing worked in any facet of the game. Beyond embarrassing. Had nothing to do with talent. Nothing.

For me that Michigan loss was top 3 disasters under Kelly, hands down. Stunning. Nothing worked in any facet of the game. Beyond embarrassing. Had nothing to do with talent. Nothing.
So you liked when ND du lac said the Michigan game was a fluke and you also liked Toby Smart saying it was no fluke?

That's tough to say, there have been so many, e.g. Bama, Clemson twice, NC State, Tulsa, Duke (shall I go on?) Not to mention the disasters/tragedies off the field that occurred on his watch.

Reactions: NDinNJ
He looked confident in 2012 vs Oklahoma. Not sure what he was drinking that week. Maybe he knew OU is always shitty and overhyped.

Stanford was good that year and we beat them too.

UM may also have been better than ND fans expected.

I doubt it goes this way but these are my thoughts for final rankings:
  1. Clemson
  2. LSU (could flip this one of course)
  3. OSU
  4. Georgia
  5. Oregon
  6. Florida
  7. Penn State
  8. Alabama
  9. Notre Dame
  10. Minnesota
  11. Oklahoma
  12. Memphis

They'll probably put us behind an Oklahoma team that lost to 5-loss Kansas State (who lost to Navy who ND pummeled 52-20!) and then was epically and embarrassingly blown out by LSU (yes, way worse than our loss to Bama in '12.) In the end we will have probably played three top 25 teams -- losing to Georgia and Michigan and beating Navy... Guess people who said our schedule was down this year are right. So that might hurt us and push us behind Minnesota and/or Oklahoma. I like our chances vs. any of these top 12 except OSU, Clemson and LSU. (Yes, I watched the Bama game.)

My two cents.

Reactions: mbd11
That's tough to say, there have been so many, e.g. Bama, Clemson twice, NC State, Tulsa, Duke (shall I go on?) Not to mention the disasters/tragedies off the field that occurred on his watch.
Clemson twice? I would hardly count the 2 point loss to Deshaun Watson’s Clemson on the road a disaster.

Reactions: mbd11 and echowaker
Clemson twice? I would hardly count the 2 point loss to Deshaun Watson’s Clemson on the road a disaster.
That's fair, it wasn't a singular disaster but failure to win a big game vs. a big time opponent repeatedly is embarrassing.

That's fair, it wasn't a singular disaster but failure to win a big game vs. a big time opponent repeatedly is embarrassing.
while not embarrassing because its football, has ND ever been favored to win any of those games our favorite haters love to site ? and yes an upset or two would surely have been welcome.

*#
UM played one good game all season. ND had one bad game all season.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Michigan had a decent team. I think we had a better season overall. But that particular game, they had a better game plan and execution than we did. Sometimes that's what it boils down to.

I keep thinking all these weeks later that the moment was too big for the Irish staff and players, and, it may have started in the week prior to the game. But, is this even possible? I never have played beyond HS and that was almost fifty years ago. I would love to talk to someone who has played at this high level in big games and ask them if my theory is even possible. This starts with BK and his staff and can possibly trickle down to the players. Yes? No?

It happens every year for ten years. Soon Michigan 2019 will be just another Miami 2017.

And as bad as the Michigan game was it was only 17-7 in the 3rd quarter.

Lea's defense seems to be motivated somehow.

Overall, Lea has done a tremendous job coaching the defense. He’s had 3 bad games that I can recall.
USC 2018
USC 2019
UM 2019

While very good job coaching, he now has to improve on the recruiting aspect of the job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT