ADVERTISEMENT

Echo, Your Opinion Please

There are some posters here who have short (or selective) memories. BW played great the first 7-8 games last year. He was a TD machine!! He made some mistakes and his confidence went out the window.

There is absolutely no reason to think he can't move past those mistakes and be a significant contributor to the 2018 team. Writing him off at this point is moronic.
lol no I've given up on it. Nobody on this board is allowed to say anything about Wimbush that isn't sunshine and rainbows. These aren't my memories/opinions, these are facts. Wimbush completed 49 percent of his passes last year, which was by far the worst of any team in the top 25. Book in comparison was 61 percent. It showed against teams that forced ND to pass and instantly made them one dimensional. I'm not saying he isn't talented, he is, I just don't want to see ND waste their most talented defense in 20 years with a QB that can't complete a 3 yard crossing pattern. That, and unless he gets a whole lot better in the off season it will be another 9 and 3 season where ND loses to every elite team they play.

I agree in part. I mostly loved the way he played up until the Miami game. Initially thought that game was just one of those games where the entire team got whipped by a more motivated team playing at home with a loud supporting fan base. But then Wimbush followed that game with poor showings against Navy and Stanford, and against LSU. I think its fair to say the following:

He became a timid runner after the Wake game where he hurt his wrist, and that really hurt his overall effectiveness.

His mechanics and foot work were poor all season, but became more obvious as he lost confidence and passes were sailing all over the place. His receivers were also largely poor route runners and This further contributed to his problems.

His decision making as both a passer and runner were poor, and seemingly got worse as the season progressed.

He was a dominant presence despite these issues during the first six or seven games of the season. He made some great throws that were exceptionally accurate into tight coverage, and his running was elite for a QB. Our red zone efficiency up to the Miami game was off the charts outstanding.

Wimbush’s upside is very high if he can improve his mechanics and decision making, and recaptures his running dynamic. He can’t revert to poor mechanics when playing good teams that put pressure on the QB. I don’t think we’re going to know whether he will reach his considerable potential until the season begins, and the Michigan defense and that game environment will likely answer these questions. This team has playoff potential if Wimbush answers the bell.
This is a very good post. I agree.

lol no I've given up on it. Nobody on this board is allowed to say anything about Wimbush that isn't sunshine and rainbows. These aren't my memories/opinions, these are facts. Wimbush completed 49 percent of his passes last year, which was by far the worst of any team in the top 25. Book in comparison was 61 percent. It showed against teams that forced ND to pass and instantly made them one dimensional. I'm not saying he isn't talented, he is, I just don't want to see ND waste their most talented defense in 20 years with a QB that can't complete a 3 yard crossing pattern. That, and unless he gets a whole lot better in the off season it will be another 9 and 3 season where ND loses to every elite team they play.
bogus post. no one is ignoring wimbush struggling at the end of last year. its all about what one chooses to focus on. you choose to focus on the negative and believe what we all saw in wimbush at the end of last year is what we will see again going forward. you appear to give him no chance at improvement.all players need to continue to improve as they go forward in their careers. you seem to believe wimbush has hit his ceiling. giving up on a physically gifted player is silly.

Reactions: Pennick4
bogus post. no one is ignoring wimbush struggling at the end of last year. its all about what one chooses to focus on. you choose to focus on the negative and believe what we all saw in wimbush at the end of last year is what we will see again going forward. you appear to give him no chance at improvement.all players need to continue to improve as they go forward in their careers. you seem to believe wimbush has hit his ceiling. giving up on a physically gifted player is silly.
The thing that scares me about Wimbush going forward as has been mentioned multiple times, is he appeared to lose confidence late last year. For a qb obviously confidence is very hard to build back up when it's been lost. Not saying it's impossible and for the good of the team I hope you're right. But down the stretch last year he looked lost, particularly when the competition ramped up. It could have just been his wrist, and I hope it was, but if not Book needs to be ready to go. This year's ND team is far too talented to not win a BCS bowl game.

The thing that scares me about Wimbush going forward as has been mentioned multiple times, is he appeared to lose confidence late last year. For a qb obviously confidence is very hard to build back up when it's been lost. Not saying it's impossible and for the good of the team I hope you're right. But down the stretch last year he looked lost, particularly when the competition ramped up. It could have just been his wrist, and I hope it was, but if not Book needs to be ready to go. This year's ND team is far too talented to not win a BCS bowl game.
i just think his injury affected him more than any of us think. i am curious to see him going forward. i think nd is in a good situation as their qb room is quite talented and will be adding jurkovec in the summer.

Has Wimbush improved his understanding/decision making for the option attack? I’m happy to hear that his footwork and mechanics have improved in the passing game, but that was only half the equation in my opinion.

unfortunately, we won't know until the Michigan game and their damn defense if our QB situation is better. I wish the Irish could start the season against Beverly Hills Tech as a warm up game.

Reactions: justified1
On 3-24-18, in BK's presser and Jack Nolan's interviews with both Ian and BW, it was stated that there is very little to no separation (take your pick among the interviews) between the QBs but, you are correct, BK then went on to talk about BW and never mentioned a word about Ian. That's why I asked if BK is just talking "coach speak" and is just trying to keep both QBs pumped and competitive. "No separation" sounds like "dead even" to me. But, in reality, if you read between the lines, it sounds like it might be BW's job to lose if he stays consistent and that's what BK says he is looking for.
It’s "coach speak".

Reactions: tbonesays
This is a very good post. I agree.

Book's stats were aided by the fact he didn't have to run for his life against Georgia or MIami .... not to mention dinking and dunking the ball will up your comp % .... then there is the fact that for every couple of good plays he makes there is the god awful TO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT