ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Pyne WOW

Don’t sleep on Jahmir Smith. Has great vision, and runs hard as hell. Big fan of him

agree^ but Armstrong can go inside / outside with some elusive speed, more so than the other backs.

Don’t sleep on Jahmir Smith. Has great vision, and runs hard as hell. Big fan of him
When Jahmir shows it in a game I’ll jump on board. All I’ve seen so far is dropped passes and someone who runs hard but hasn’t made anyone miss or broken tackles.

When Jahmir shows it in a game I’ll jump on board. All I’ve seen so far is dropped passes and someone who runs hard but hasn’t made anyone miss or broken tackles.
didn't watch Saturday night ? had two really nice runs. good vision and balance.

didn't watch Saturday night ? had two really nice runs. good vision and balance.
I was at game and re watched. I saw him running hard like I said but didn't do anything to wow me. Definitely ran hard and has more ability than C'BO. I'm not saying he's bad, i just haven't seen enough to say he could be a 15+ carry/game back.

On his longest run, he ran with his head down, it was good because got 13 because of it, it was bad because if he has his head up and makes a cut allowing chase to continue blocking his DB 10 yards down the field it could have went the distance. Not a bad play by any means, but could have been much more.

Agree with everything on Buchner. Hes a much better prospect than Pyne imo. It would surprise me if he started over Phil or Buchner

Pyne and Buchner -- when are they due to arrive (yes, I don't follow recruiting in depth enough in future years)?

Hasn’t made a huge play and yes had some drops but the vision is outstanding. It’s his best feature

Hasn’t made a huge play and yes had some drops but the vision is outstanding. It’s his best feature
Maybe so.... going to sound like patrirish.... do you have an example in a game at ND? He hasn’t got a ton of opportunities I know, but curious as to why so many are high on him. I’m neutral with him and Williams. Both have reasons they weren’t that highly recruited. Want to see them on field first.

Do you think that has resulted in ND closing the gap between ND and the very top tier teams - top 6-8 ? do any other posters think this is true?

Tough question to answer in the manner it was posed, IMO... Do I think ND's 2020 class and 2021 class (that are built on the back of ND's recent successes) are closing the gap on Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State and Geoegia in terms of recruited talent? Not really if I'm being honest. But it are they clasing the gap on Auburn, LSU, Oklahoma and just about everyone else? Absolutely.

In the 2020 and 2021 cycles ND could end up with the following...

5 stars...

Chris Tyree (RB)
Jordan Johnson (WR)
Will Shipley (RB)
Tyler Buchner (QB)- Will finish as a 5 star.

When was the last time ND landed a pair of 5 star offensive skilled players in back-to-back cycles?

On top of that, they could land far more top 100 and top 150 players than they have over a 2 year period, in a long, long time.

Some of the guys ND is absolutely considered in the top 2 for right now...

Chris Tyree (committed)
Jordan Johnson (committed)
Michael Mayer (committed)
Tosh Baker (committed)
Jordan Botelho (committed)
Rylie Mills (committed)
Michael Carmody (committed)

Tyler Buchner (committed)
Blake Fisher (committed)
Deion Colzie (committed)
Cane Berrong (committed)
Gabe Rubio (committed)
Lorenzo Styles Jr (committed)
Landon Tengwall
Will Shipley
Rocco Spindler
Jakailin Johnson
Christian Dixon
Barrett Carter
Garrett Dellinger

It's been a long time since ND pulled that much top end talent in consecutive cycles, highlighted by some offensive game changers... That said, I will add one point of frustration. Chip Long and his offensive staff are killing it on the recruiting trail. Of the 7 top 150 guys ND is set to land in 2020, 5 are on offense and only 2 are on defense. Of the the 6 top 150 guys currently committed in the 2021 class, 5 of them are on offense and only 1 is on defense.

Clark Lea is an excellent coach, but he and his defensive staff need to pick it up with their defensive recruiting and strive to match what Long and his staff staff are doing.

Reactions: Kelso86
Tough question to answer in the manner it was posed, IMO... Do I think ND's 2020 class and 2021 class (that are built on the back of ND's recent successes) are closing the gap on Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State and Geoegia in terms of recruited talent? Not really if I'm being honest. But it are they clasing the gap on Auburn, LSU, Oklahoma and just about everyone else? Absolutely.

In the 2020 and 2021 cycles ND could end up with the following...

5 stars...

Chris Tyree (RB)
Jordan Johnson (WR)
Will Shipley (RB)
Tyler Buchner (QB)- Will finish as a 5 star.

When was the last time ND landed a pair of 5 star offensive skilled players in back-to-back cycles?

On top of that, they could land far more top 100 and top 150 players than they have over a 2 year period, in a long, long time.

Some of the guys ND is absolutely considered in the top 2 for right now...

Chris Tyree (committed)
Jordan Johnson (committed)
Michael Mayer (committed)
Tosh Baker (committed)
Jordan Botelho (committed)
Rylie Mills (committed)
Michael Carmody (committed)

Tyler Buchner (committed)
Blake Fisher (committed)
Deion Colzie (committed)
Cane Berrong (committed)
Gabe Rubio (committed)
Lorenzo Styles Jr (committed)
Landon Tengwall
Will Shipley
Rocco Spindler
Jakailin Johnson
Christian Dixon
Barrett Carter
Garrett Dellinger

It's been a long time since ND pulled that much top end talent in consecutive cycles, highlighted by some offensive game changers... That said, I will add one point of frustration. Chip Long and his offensive staff are killing it on the recruiting trail. Of the 7 top 150 guys ND is set to land in 2020, 5 are on offense and only 2 are on defense. Of the the 6 top 150 guys currently committed in the 2021 class, 5 of them are on offense and only 1 is on defense.

Clark Lea is an excellent coach, but he and his defensive staff need to pick it up with their defensive recruiting and strive to match what Long and his staff staff are doing.
LSUs class is as good as anyone's this year.

Recruiting on the D side is a concern. But Lea is a great d coordinator. He might be the find my type of guy coach

LSUs class is as good as anyone's this year.

Recruiting on the D side is a concern. But Lea is a great d coordinator. He might be the find my type of guy coach

There is virtually no talent differential between the class LSU currently has committed in 2020 and the class ND has committed in 2020.

You want to know how close it is?

Both teams have 2, five star players committed. Both teams have commitments from 5 top 100 players and 2 more players ranked between 101-150...

The difference as it stands is that LSU's class has more accumulated points because they have 21 commitments vs ND's 17... But the quality of the players in the class, particularly those in the top half of the class that are expected to contribute, are very, very similar.

This is why I keep talking about the ND staff needing to drum up some interest from a couple more studs and cultivate some flip candidates. ND has been too successful over the past 2 years not to land Isaiah Pryor as a transfer and round out this class with 3 studs.

They can do that and still have room to give 5th years to Daelin Hayes, Ade Ogundeji, Tommy Kraemer, Liam Eichenberg and one of Gilman or Crawford (6th) if they change their mind.

That will take them to 86 scholarships... As if if Notre Dame isn't going to lose a couple players for various reasons between now and next season.

I'd be calling every Michigan commit, Texas A&M commit, Tennessee commit, Stanford commit, Washington commit, etc and asking about their grades and seeing if they are interested in one more late season visit. Have one more big recruiting game.

Here are guys from underachieving teams that I'd be making calls about...

Michigan
A.J. Henning (WR)
Roman Wilson (WR)
Jordan Morant (S)
Makari Page (S)
RJ Moten (S)

Stanford
Myles Hinton (OT)
John Humphreys (WR)

Texas A&M
Jaylon Jones (S)
Joshua Moten (CB)
Fail Diggs (WDE)
Muhshin Muhammed (WR)

Tennessee
Keshawn Lawrence (S)
Mordecai McDaniel (CB)

Washington
Jalen McMillan (WR)
Rome Odunze (WR)

Call everyone and give them an option if they are qualified or could do enough in the 2nd semester to get qualified!

Reactions: Riverside Irish
There is virtually no talent differential between the class LSU currently has committed in 2020 and the class ND has committed in 2020.

Both teams have 2, five star players committed. Both teams have commitments from 5 top 100 players and 2 more players ranked between 101-150...

The difference as it stands is that LSU's class has more accumulated points because they have 21 commitments vs ND's 17... But the quality of the players in the class, particularly those in the top half of the class that are expected to contribute, are very, very similar.

This is why I keep talking about the ND staff needing to drum up some interest from a couple more studs and cultivate some flip candidates. ND has been too successful over the past 2 years not to land Isaiah Pryor as a transfer and round out this class with 3 studs.

They can do that and still have room to give 5th years to Daelin Hayes, Ade Ogundeji, Tommy Kraemer, Liam Eichenberg and one of Gilman or Crawford (6th) if they change their mind.

That will take them to 86 scholarships... As if if Notre Dame isn't going to lose a couple players for various reasons between now and next season.

I'd be calling every Michigan commit, Texas A&M commit, Tennessee commit, Stanford commit, Washington commit, etc and asking about their grades and seeing if they are interested in one more late season visit. Have one more big recruiting game.

Michigan
A.J. Henning (WR)
Roman Wilson (WR)
Jordan Morant (S)
Makari Page (S)
RJ Moten (S)

Stanford
Myles Hinton (OT)
John Humphreys (WR)

Texas A&M
Jaylon Jones (S)
Joshua Moten (CB)
Fail Diggs (WDE)
Muhshin Muhammed (WR)

Tennessee
Keshawn Lawrence (S)
Mordecai McDaniel (CB)

Washington
Jalen McMillan (WR)
Rome Odunze (WR)

Call everyone and give them an option if they are qualified or could do enough in the 2nd semester to get qualified!
LSUs class is 4th overall in average player rank at 92.88. We are 10th overall with a 90.82. That is a pretty big gap. If we are with LSU then we are with anyone because they have a loaded class.

I agree with everything else. We need to go after everyone. Keep winning and attack the recruiting trail

LSUs class is 4th overall in average player rank at 92.88. We are 10th overall with a 90.82. That is a pretty big gap. If we are with LSU then we are with anyone because they have a loaded class.

I agree with everything else. We need to go after everyone. Keep winning and attack the recruiting trail

That 2 point gap is mostly in the bottom 10 players in their class vs the bottom 10 players in ND's class. It's the guys ND has with the 0.87 ranking vs their 0.90 guys. You might say "yeah, that's a big deal because it builds more talented depth"... I'd argue that the recruiting differential you worry about is most prevalent at the top. The difference after 3-4 years of development between the #239 player in the nation vs the #312 player in the nation is often very little, if any at all. The top 8'ish players in each class and 1 or 2 surprise developers make the difference in your team and program over 4 classes. How many of them stick it out, develop to their potential and become key players, is what matters... That's how Clemson became big time. They didn't recruit anywhere close to as well Alabama or Ohio State in aggregate for example, leading up to their finals appearances. They simply landed and developed a handful of elite guys over multiple classes and those guy made the difference...

No doubt I'd take LSU's class over ND's right now, but the difference is marginal in terms of the guys that are projected difference makers in college.

And all of this is before LSU loses 4 players from the class to arrests, grades and the transfer portal before the end of their sophomore year lol.

If ND can just recruit in the #6-#8 range for multiple years, bring in a couple key transfers and find that QB that can get them over the top, they'll be right there in line for seasons in the 10-2 to 12-0 game that will see them in the playoffs or in a New Years 6 game...

JMO.

That 2 point gap is mostly in the bottom 10 players in their class vs the bottom 10 players in ND's class. It's the guys ND has with the 0.87 ranking vs their 0.90 guys. You might say "yeah, that's a big deal because it builds more talented depth"... I'd argue that the recruiting differential you worry about is most prevalent at the top. The difference after 3-4 years of development between the #239 player in the nation vs the #312 player in the nation is often very little, if any at all. The top 8'ish players in each class and 1 or 2 surprise developers make the difference in your team and program over 4 classes. How many of them stick it out, develop to their potential and become key players, is what matters... That's how Clemson became big time. They didn't recruit anywhere close to as well Alabama or Ohio State in aggregate for example, leading up to their finals appearances. They simply landed and developed a handful of elite guys over multiple classes and those guy made the difference...

No doubt I'd take LSU's class over ND's right now, but the difference is marginal in terms of the guys that are projected difference makers in college.

And all of this is before LSU loses 4 players from the class to arrests, grades and the transfer portal before the end of their sophomore year lol.

If ND can just recruit in the #6-#8 range for multiple years, bring in a couple key transfers and find that QB that can get them over the top, they'll be right there in line for seasons in the 10-2 to 12-0 game that will see them in the playoffs or in a New Years 6 game...

JMO.
Yes, talented depth. 2nd and 3rd team Alabama and Clemson and LSU is a gap still. We've closed it some in the past 3 years but its still there. They have more talented depth than we do.

I agree if we recruit in the 5 to 8 range consistently and get a big time qb (Buchner) we can compete year in and year out

ND will not be the same as other schools but they are already showing the blueprint on how they are going to succeed.

1) ND is not going to be 4 deep at every position like some of the football factories, but in the past they weren’t even 2 deep. Now ND is 2 deep with 4 Stars at most positions. Really, two deep is who is playing in bigtime games.
2) Other schools have a lot of kids leave early, transfer or are processed. So a lot of their talent never plays or only a year or two. ND needs guys who are 4 year guys & some who come back for their 5th. Look at how big of a difference it was when Manti came back, then Tranquill for his 5th.
3) ND’s Star rating is higher than their class rankings because they don’t take 25 every year. They are averaging 11 wins a season with classes ranked 10-16. If they get to around 7-9, they will be a CFP contender each year.
4) Other teams take over 25, but only usually only 12-15 end up playing, & usually 4-5 are high impact guys. ND needs to make sure their top 15 can compete with the others & ND needs more high impact guys. The second part is where ND is now starting to make a move. They have been 2-3 guys short each year at key positions, but now they are getting those guys.
Bonus: People wonder how ND is able to still win so many games without the “impact players” in the past. The answer is OL. If you have a top 5 OL who can control the game you can always cover deficiencies. With great OL’s ND was able to compete with others despite skill player weaknesses. Now that ND is getting high level skill players they need to make sure to keep getting Elite OL.

Michigan
A.J. Henning (WR)
Roman Wilson (WR)
Jordan Morant (S)
Makari Page (S)
RJ Moten (S)

Stanford
Myles Hinton (OT)
John Humphreys (WR)

Texas A&M
Jaylon Jones (S)
Joshua Moten (CB)
Fail Diggs (WDE)
Muhshin Muhammed (WR)

Tennessee
Keshawn Lawrence (S)
Mordecai McDaniel (CB)

Washington
Jalen McMillan (WR)
Rome Odunze (WR)

Wow. Impressive you know all the targets.

Wow. Impressive you know all the targets.

I've long said that you shouldn't bitch for change or get riled up about doing something differently, unless you have an answer, an option or an idea that might work. Otherwise, you're just flapping your gums like a child.

Reactions: Kelso86
Maybe so.... going to sound like patrirish.... do you have an example in a game at ND? He hasn’t got a ton of opportunities I know, but curious as to why so many are high on him. I’m neutral with him and Williams. Both have reasons they weren’t that highly recruited. Want to see them on field first.
Yes his few runs have impressed. He’s had a couple of 10 yarders and a couple other really nice runs

Xavier Watts got a 4th Star & even put inside the top 250 of a recruiting service.

Xavier Watts got a 4th Star & even put inside the top 250 of a recruiting service.

Saw that today. I think it's warranted. He's a good player. Johnson he's not, IMO, but he's really capable and a quality #2 in the class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT