ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Pyne WOW

NotreDame du Lac

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 29, 2015
I’m so excited about this kid. Absolute stud. His height hurt his ranking, but he’s still #5 overall. Bama offered the kid when he was in 8th grade. I think 2022 will be a very special season. If I’m a WR I’m begging ND to let this kid throw my way. If I’m an OL, I’m begging to block for him. Future looks good at qb.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catholicfan95
what was that about?

At this point in development he reminds, skills wise and style wise, of Sean White, the former AU commit. He is very accurate. He demonstrated that at the E11.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelso86
That's an interesting perspective. I'm actually a lot more excited about Tyler Buchner than Drew Pyne. I think Buchner is the best prospect ND has recruited at quarterback since Jimmy Clausen.

Nothing against Pyne, I just love Buchner's combination of skill set and intelligence.

Who knows though? Quarterbacks can largely be a crapshoot.

Last edited:
That's an interesting perspective. I'm actually a lot more excited about Tyler Buchner than Drew Pyne. I think Buchner is the best prospect ND has recruited at prospect since Jimmy Clausen.

Nothing against Pyne, I just love Buchner's combination of skill set and intelligence.

Agree with everything on Buchner. Hes a much better prospect than Pyne imo. It would surprise me if he started over Phil or Buchner

That's an interesting perspective. I'm actually a lot more excited about Tyler Buchner than Drew Pyne. I think Buchner is the best prospect ND has recruited at prospect since Jimmy Clausen.

Agreed with everything you said from the window shopping that is recruiting.

History with this program tends to favor Pyne being more successful however while at ND for whatever reason?

This class is shaping up to be one of my favorite BK has brought in since the 2013 class.

Athleticism is off the charts with this class, super raw talent that we will develop.

Would you guys agree that as ND’s recruiting has moved up a few notches that
we can see that in the team talent, performance and most of all results?

Reactions: Catholicfan95

Agreed on all counts.

Will add one opinion-----CT HS Football is to be kind-----fair.

Would you guys agree that as ND’s recruiting has moved up a few notches that
we can see that in the team talent, performance and most of all results?

I think the combination of the best recruiting staff they've had in a long time, combined with 2 years of being ranked inside the top 10, getting plenty of showcase games and investing in some significant facility upgrades have all led to a small jump in recruiting.

I've long said that it will be tough for ND to recruit in the top 5 annually given the landscape of college football, but they have no reason (when they're winning) to not recruit in the 6-12 range on an annual basis.

Last edited:
Reactions: HRC08 and Buguit
I think the combination of the best recruiting staff they've had in a long time, combined with 2 years of being ranked inside the top 10, getting plenty of showcase games and investing in some significant facility upgrades has have all led to a small jump I recruiting.

I've long said that it will be tough for ND to recruit in the top 5 annually given the landscape of college football, but they have no reason (when they're winning) to not recruit in the 6-12 range on an annual basis.

Do you think that has resulted in ND closing the gap between ND and the very top tier teams - top 6-8 ? do any other posters think this is true?

If Kelly had Charlie Weis Recruits like Golden Tate, Jimmy Clausen, etc. he would’ve won a national championship for sure.

If Kelly had Charlie Weis Recruits like Golden Tate, Jimmy Clausen, etc. he would’ve won a national championship for sure.

“for sure”? Saban and Dabo and Meyer might think differently.

I guess you were very impressed by Sat. nights game plan!

All the ND recruits in the 2021 class are in the ESPN 300. So that’s a pretty good start.

As for moving forward, is this a top 5 team?
I just put together a two deep that is possible with current players/commits over the next 2-3 years.

QB Jurkovec
QB Buchner
RB Tyree
RB C’Bo
RB Smith
WR Lenzy
WR Keys
WR Johnson
WR Watts
WR Colzie
WR Styles
TE Mayer
TE Tremble
TE Bauman
TE Berong
OL Patterson
OL Kristofic
OL Correll
OL Carroll
OL Olmstead
OL Fisher
OL Baker
OL Carmody

That is a top 5 offense.

DL Ademilola
DL Ademilola
DL Lacey
DL Franklin
DL Spears
DL Foskey
DL Nana
DL Botehlo
DL Mills
DL Cross
DL Rubio
LB White
LB Lamb
LB Simon
LB Bauer
LB Ovie
LB Moala
LB Marist
LB Elwonu
CB Bracy
CB Wallace
CB Rutherford
S HG
S Hamilton

That’s a top 10 Defense (with Lea as DC).

So yeah, I think ND has top 5 teams starting last year & moving on through 2023.

Reactions: OCNDfan81
Soooo, maybe Chase is on to something, you know that to compete with the best you need to recruit with the best?

Reactions: NDIRISH53
Somebody must have forgot to tell Clemson?

They went to back to back national title games against Bama, losing one by 4 & winning the other, with a team made up of three straight classes that finished outside the top 10, averaging 16th, & only three 5 Star players total (only one started).

They went to back to back national title games against Bama, losing one by 4 & winning the other, with a team made up of three straight classes that finished outside the top 10, averaging 16th, & only three 5 Star players total (only one started).
Top 15 talent with an all timer at QB. They also had a few 5 Star true difference makers. It’s those guys that make the difference

Top 15 talent with an all timer at QB. They also had a few 5 Star true difference makers. It’s those guys that make the difference

No they didn’t. I’m not talking about last year. I’m talking about 3-4 years ago teams. The one that played Bama back to back. They had a walkon & a 2 Star as starting WRs.

No they didn’t. I’m not talking about last year. I’m talking about 3-4 years ago teams. The one that played Bama back to back. They had a walkon & a 2 Star as starting WRs.
Yes, I’m talking about them too. An all timer at qb, a few 5 stars who started as true frosh.

Yes, I’m talking about them too. An all timer at qb, a few 5 stars who started as true frosh.

What 5 Star players started as true Freshmen?
They had 3 total in the three classes. One started, one was a backup & the third didn’t play.
And this is straight from the Clemson site.

Here is the Clemson composite classes starting in 2012-2014, so the classes that made up the 2015 & 2016 teams. You can even add the 2015 class if you want (so the fourth class).
Just start with 2012 I linked below, then change the year at the top. You will see ALL the 5 Star players. And you will notice there aren’t many, & even the ones that were Freshmen in 2015 didn’t all play.
https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Season/2012-Football/Commits/

2012 0
2013 1
2014 0
2015 3 (one didn’t play)

That’s four classes that led Clemson to 3 Straight CFP’s, 2 Title games, & a National Title.

Last edited:
What 5 Star players started as true Freshmen?
They had 3 total in the three classes. One started, one was a backup & the third didn’t play.
And this is straight from the Clemson site.

Here is the Clemson composite classes starting in 2012-2014, so the classes that made up the 2015 & 2016 teams. You can even add the 2015 class if you want (so the fourth class).
Just start with 2012 I linked below, then change the year at the top. You will see ALL the 5 Star players. And you will notice there aren’t many, & even the ones that were Freshmen in 2015 didn’t all play.
https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Season/2012-Football/Commits/

2012 0
2013 1
2014 0
2015 3 (one didn’t play)

That’s four classes that led Clemson to 3 Straight CFP’s, 2 Title games, & a National Title.
Mitch Hyatt started I’m fairly confident, you may be correct in that Christian Wilkins did not start but I believe he was a contributor. At the end of the day it all boils down to having the best qb in the country (or second best) and having top 15 talent. If you don’t have top 5 talent with 5 stars across the board you will not win a title with even a good qb.

For instance, I think ian book could lead Ohio state, Clemson, Alabama, and maybe Georgia to a national title this year. I do not believe book can win a national title this year at notre dame, the talent is not elite on the same page as those teams I just mentioned. However, I do believe you put junior year Deshaun Watson, or Tua on this notre dame team, they could win a title.

All the ND recruits in the 2021 class are in the ESPN 300. So that’s a pretty good start.

As for moving forward, is this a top 5 team?
I just put together a two deep that is possible with current players/commits over the next 2-3 years.

QB Jurkovec
QB Buchner
RB Tyree
RB C’Bo
RB Smith
WR Lenzy
WR Keys
WR Johnson
WR Watts
WR Colzie
WR Styles
TE Mayer
TE Tremble
TE Bauman
TE Berong
OL Patterson
OL Kristofic
OL Correll
OL Carroll
OL Olmstead
OL Fisher
OL Baker
OL Carmody

That is a top 5 offense.

DL Ademilola
DL Ademilola
DL Lacey
DL Franklin
DL Spears
DL Foskey
DL Nana
DL Botehlo
DL Mills
DL Cross
DL Rubio
LB White
LB Lamb
LB Simon
LB Bauer
LB Ovie
LB Moala
LB Marist
LB Elwonu
CB Bracy
CB Wallace
CB Rutherford
S HG
S Hamilton

That’s a top 10 Defense (with Lea as DC).

So yeah, I think ND has top 5 teams starting last year & moving on through 2023.
Armstrong has two years of eligibility after this year.

Armstrong has two years of eligibility after this year.

I just don’t know about Armstrong?
He is the opposite of Kmet, who heals up fast & is ready to go. Armstrong seems to be both fragile & slow healer. Last year they expected him back twice & both times he wasn’t ready & was his hurt again. This year he looked horrible after being cleared & im not expecting him to finish the season healthy. So I honestly expect him to get passed up through attrition the next 2 years if the trend follows.

But I did forget about Kyren Williams, who is probably a more durable version of Armstrong.

Typical from this guy, because it happened once doesn't mean it's the formula for winning National Championships. Puhleeze.

It happens, but you NEED a Deshaun Watson or cam newton along with top 15 talent

I personally think Phil & Buchner are the talent ND needs.
I honestly feel ND’s offense with Buchner, Tyree, Johnson, Watts, Styles, Colzie, Mayer, Bauman, Berrong, Baker, Carmody, Fisher... in 3-4 years (so all upperclassmen) will be elite.

I think the combination of the best recruiting staff they've had in a long time, combined with 2 years of being ranked inside the top 10, getting plenty of showcase games and investing in some significant facility upgrades has have all led to a small jump I recruiting.

No excuse not to be top 12, like you said, every year. It’s Notre Dame, ffs.

I personally think Phil & Buchner are the talent ND needs.
I honestly feel ND’s offense with Buchner, Tyree, Johnson, Watts, Styles, Colzie, Mayer, Bauman, Berrong, Baker, Carmody, Fisher... in 3-4 years (so all upperclassmen) will be elite.
Buchner I agree. Phil has all the physical qualities but is still an unknown. Buchner could be special

I just don’t know about Armstrong?
He is the opposite of Kmet, who heals up fast & is ready to go. Armstrong seems to be both fragile & slow healer. Last year they expected him back twice & both times he wasn’t ready & was his hurt again. This year he looked horrible after being cleared & im not expecting him to finish the season healthy. So I honestly expect him to get passed up through attrition the next 2 years if the trend follows.

But I did forget about Kyren Williams, who is probably a more durable version of Armstrong.
Yeah obviously if he can’t stay healthy he can’t play.... I just don’t see C’Bo making top 3 definitely not top 2.

ideally healthy Armstrong and Tyree are the 1-2 combo you’d like to have.

Yeah obviously if he can’t stay healthy he can’t play.... I just don’t see C’Bo making top 3 definitely not top 2.

Yeah, C’Bo shouldn’t be in the top 3 if things shake out the way ND hopes, but we have to wait & see. I’m hoping Williams is a better version of Armstrong, Tyree obviously is as hyped, & then another kid signs that is in Tyree’s level. Then you would have Smith & C’Bo as durable depth.

Your remark about a "small jump" in recruiting made me think back to the Willingham years. Our recruiting now is a quantum leap from those days!

Reactions: valianted25
is it just me or is anyone else excited as hell that Buchner is Asian? Just seems cool to have an Asian QB.

is it just me or is anyone else excited as hell that Buchner is Asian? Just seems cool to have an Asian QB.
tenor.gif

Reactions: NotreDomer1

Don’t sleep on Jahmir Smith. Has great vision, and runs hard as hell. Big fan of him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT