ADVERTISEMENT

Didn't Sleep Last Night

D got bitch slapped all night long, and it's embarrassing. Pushed around. Shit tackling.

I'm not sure where I go from here. Something has to give at this point.
Join the ACC. Being in a conference makes the season more meaningful than just playing a disjointed schedule with teams from every conference with no Conference Championship to shoot for. Plus, one loss doesn't knock you out of the playoff as easily when you are in a conference because you have a Conference Championship to shoot for and you have a 13th data point.

I feel the same way.

I love football, but probably should now switch to ND men's soccer for the fall. At least they have a coach who knows how to coach a winning team.

Reactions: LARC and cgvr
As pathetic as this sounds---I feel like my fall is ruined.

Every damn year. Every damn year this seems to happen. Stupid, avoidable losses.

I should've learned my lesson by now.

You okay?

I'm still not happy. I thought the sting would wear off by now, but it hasn't.

I truly think we'll pound Nevada next week at home. Now....the season really starts week 3 vs MSU. Pivotal game for the program.....

Reactions: cgvr and Bodizephax
I'm still not happy. I thought the sting would wear off by now, but it hasn't.

I truly think we'll pound Nevada next week at home. Now....the season really starts week 3 vs MSU. Pivotal game for the program.....

used to have the same reaction after tough losses--ruminating thoughts at night making it difficult to sleep. winning cures everything.

Reactions: IrishMike409

Every damn year. Every damn year this seems to happen. Stupid, avoidable losses.

Mikey

I know you. I think we sat together at a game about 9 years ago
Snap out of it
You can do this
Texas will win Big 12
Replay guy from Texas game now has protective guards
BVG is gone next year
Get a good pizza
Eat the whole thing. Don't share
Do dessert
Feel better?

Seems like we're always on the losing end of these "instant classic" games. Kind of numb to it all now.

Irish...what was your prediction for the season? Mine was 10-2, which just got a hell of a lot harder, but doable. Losing early in the year works to your advantage with the rankings if you get on a winning roll. So, a lot of football to be played, and to be enjoyed; albeit a tough task when the offense needs to score 45 points a game to win. Hope Iike hell we see an infusion of some of our young talent in the DB and on the defensive edge. Sure the goal is to be in the playoffs, but we'll be fortunate to reach this once every five years. I want ND to consistently win 10 or more games annually, and anxious to see if they can pull this off after this start.

Irish...what was your prediction for the season? Mine was 10-2, which just got a hell of a lot harder, but doable. Losing early in the year works to your advantage with the rankings if you get on a winning roll. So, a lot of football to be played, and to be enjoyed; albeit a tough task when the offense needs to score 45 points a game to win. Hope Iike hell we see an infusion of some of our young talent in the DB and on the defensive edge. Sure the goal is to be in the playoffs, but we'll be fortunate to reach this once every five years. I want ND to consistently win 10 or more games annually, and anxious to see if they can pull this off after this start.
Stanford lost to NW in the first game. Never recovered a playoff bid.

Can't sleep? Fall is ruined? To bring things back to reality, the people of Louisiana had their Fall ruined with the terrible flooding. Those in the path of hurricane season could care less about a college football season. People are in hospice and will never return home. Our courageous heroes fighting abroad. That's the reality of a college football season. Just keep this football thing in perspective. You still woke up in the morning. The sun still shines. Prepare yourself for an 11-0 run starting this Saturday.

I used to be you. Years ago, I would be despondent for days after ND's first loss or some other big loss. Over the years I've come to understand that I have no control over what happens on the field. I can cheer for the Irish and I can revel in their success. I decided, however, that I won't let them ruin my day or my weekend or my week. Truth be told, I don't even watch the games live anymore. I record them and then, if they win, I watch at my leisure. If they lose, I don't waste my time and just delete the recording. Sunday night I took my wife to a concert (Rob Thomas/Counting Crows) and had a great time. I saw on my phone that the Irish lost and I was momentarily bummed but was having too good of a time to really let it bother me.

I will admit that I am certainly not the type of passionate football fan common to this board. This process, however, allows me to retain my remaining sanity and has likely helped my marriage. Life is too short to engage in activities that cause undue stress and disappointment. I will continue to root for the Irish and hope they win out. If they don't, however, I'll move on and find other things that make me happy.

As we all have, I have suffered certain losses and have found a way to restructure my priorities. This won't work for everyone but it works for me.

I used to be you. Years ago, I would be despondent for days after ND's first loss or some other big loss. Over the years I've come to understand that I have no control over what happens on the field. I can cheer for the Irish and I can revel in their success. I decided, however, that I won't let them ruin my day or my weekend or my week. Truth be told, I don't even watch the games live anymore. I record them and then, if they win, I watch at my leisure. If they lose, I don't waste my time and just delete the recording. Sunday night I took my wife to a concert (Rob Thomas/Counting Crows) and had a great time. I saw on my phone that the Irish lost and I was momentarily bummed but was having too good of a time to really let it bother me.

I will admit that I am certainly not the type of passionate football fan common to this board. This process, however, allows me to retain my remaining sanity and has likely helped my marriage. Life is too short to engage in activities that cause undue stress and disappointment. I will continue to root for the Irish and hope they win out. If they don't, however, I'll move on and find other things that make me happy.

As we all have, I have suffered certain losses and have found a way to restructure my priorities. This won't work for everyone but it works for me.

I do the same thing you do. I DVR the games and when Its over I check the score. If ND wins I will watch it. If not I delete It. I have been doing this for a few years now.

If a football team loss ruins your entire Fall season, that's not a sign of a good fan. That's a sign there is something wrong with your perspective on life.

If a football team loss ruins your entire Fall season, that's not a sign of a good fan. That's a sign there is something wrong with your perspective on life.
Actually, it's a sign that your perspective on this HC is out of whack. He is
capable of losing to most every opponent. Losses shouldn't surprise anyone....

Can't sleep? Fall is ruined? To bring things back to reality, the people of Louisiana had their Fall ruined with the terrible flooding. Those in the path of hurricane season could care less about a college football season. People are in hospice and will never return home. Our courageous heroes fighting abroad. That's the reality of a college football season. Just keep this football thing in perspective. You still woke up in the morning. The sun still shines. Prepare yourself for an 11-0 run starting this Saturday.

Oh, I thought you were referring to the 16-14 defeat at the hands of Wisconsin.;)

"Great pickup. Can't wait to see all of the cry babies on this board put a negative spin on it.
8 IrishMike409, Yesterday at 2:08 PM"
You were perhaps the biggest crybaby this board has ever seen. Your post born out of personal desperation rivals ara64's claim that he was raised by Ara over an AM radio. You can't make this sh** up...

Wow, I'm an avid ND fan. Been to well over 100 home games, and I have never lost sleep over a lost game. In the big picture of life, really?

Reactions: cgvr
I was figurative, not literal.

You're the one looking up month old posts on message boards at 1am!

On to Duke.....and like you've been saying......lets get to 4-2 by Stanford.

I was figurative, not literal.

You're the one looking up month old posts on message boards at 1am!

On to Duke.....and like you've been saying......lets get to 4-2 by Stanford.

September 5th was not a month ago and the post was easy to remember because you are a good guy who was admittedly stressed. Try to find another post like it. As for your "figurative" take you then followed it 2 days later with:
"I'm still not happy. I thought the sting would wear off by now, but it hasn't..."
8 IrishMike409, Sep 7, 2016

So, please spare us the "crybaby" routine. People have every right to be goddamn pissed about what has transpired. The fact of the matter is that kelly, stinks, bvg stinks and both are stupid. Fortunately, our players, at times, can overcome the opposition and both their idiocy.

There are 2 people directly responsible for us not being undefeated. That's why people are rightfully ticked. Right now we are setting records for defensive ineptitude..... let's celebrate that, make excuses after excuse and Yahoo ourselves to victory... it's pathetic. Anything short of 4-2 will be crushing.....
PS. When I originally read your post I was legitimately concerned.

I'm ticked off too. Believe, me i'm damn frustrated. I was at the game Saturday, invested my entire day, only to drive home that night extremely disapointed.

All that being said, belly-aching and making dumb jokes about the coaches won't help anything. A lot is expected of Kelly and BVG, and rightfully so---they're well paid and i'm sure enjoy the perks that come along with being high profile coaches. I trust that Kelly is the right man for the job, and I trust that he will absolutely have this thing straightened out and that we'll be 4-2 in 3 weeks. Can we make adjustments and beat Stanford at home? Damn right we can. Most fans on this board would've taken 5-2 after the Stanford game.......

I agree with you----ANYTHING short of 4-2 will be absolutely, 100% crushing.

I'm ticked off too. Believe, me i'm damn frustrated. I was at the game Saturday, invested my entire day, only to drive home that night extremely disapointed.

All that being said, belly-aching and making dumb jokes about the coaches won't help anything. A lot is expected of Kelly and BVG, and rightfully so---they're well paid and i'm sure enjoy the perks that come along with being high profile coaches. I trust that Kelly is the right man for the job, and I trust that he will absolutely have this thing straightened out and that we'll be 4-2 in 3 weeks. Can we make adjustments and beat Stanford at home? Damn right we can. Most fans on this board would've taken 5-2 after the Stanford game.......

I agree with you----ANYTHING short of 4-2 will be absolutely, 100% crushing.

I'm real curious to see what bvg dials up to counter Stanford's Daniel Marx. I recently had a discussion with an "interesting" Stanford individual and briefly discussed the recruiting rankings versus ours' among other things. "We don't give a sh** about player rankings. We care if an athlete fits into our system."

There's the rub...after 6+ years we have no system...no identity...

PS What does this mean?
"Most fans on this board would've taken 5-2 after the Stanford game......."

Last edited:
Join the ACC. Being in a conference makes the season more meaningful than just playing a disjointed schedule with teams from every conference with no Conference Championship to shoot for. Plus, one loss doesn't knock you out of the playoff as easily when you are in a conference because you have a Conference Championship to shoot for and you have a 13th data point.
I hate to say this but I almost feel like fate is pushing ND in this direction. It's like all the forces, whether it be behavior, academic, injuries, inexplicable losses, are ringing a loud alarm. JOIN A CONFERENCE! But I don't know.

Okay. Just for entertainment purposes. Instead of joining a conference ND could start their own. Call it the Power 10 conference. Texas hates being in the Big 12 so start there. I came up with 5 schools who are good enough and probably would be willing. I know this won't happen but I need a distraction from the 1-2 grumblings.

1. ND
2. Texas
3. Houston
4. Cinci
5. BYU

I'd go after some of the new Big 10 schools - Nebraska, PSU, Maryland, Rutgers. Maybe even West Virgina, Boise, Memphis

I felt that way after Texas. But, after feeling that way at some point every year since 93 I think I'm just about over it. Have been boycotted ND gear for about five years now. They won't get my cash until they win another natty or I die. I think the latter is likely.

Reactions: IrishBlessings
mike

ain't that big a deal; check I had the same issues Sat night and have a thread saying it!
was on posting with dag...for bout an hour.

whatever floats your boat. don't give posters judging 'place'; enjoy your day! post on!

Reactions: IrishMike409
Not all true

The defense stepped up in the second half...... somewhat
You're really going back 3.5 weeks and trying to defend the D's performance vs Texas? They gave up 50 points, to a True Freshman QB. The Texas RB's and Swoopes were punishing our guys in all 3 levels. Maybe the D was OK in a few situations, but they hardly "stepped up."

Reactions: cgvr
You're really going back 3.5 weeks and trying to defend the D's performance vs Texas? They gave up 50 points, to a True Freshman QB. The Texas RB's and Swoopes were punishing our guys in all 3 levels. Maybe the D was OK in a few situations, but they hardly "stepped up."
Can you imagine if they played poorly? Can a score board tilt?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT