ADVERTISEMENT

Develop a QB

Exactly, the transfer portal sucks, and has done ND no favors at the QB position.
It's certainly a trade-off. Obviously it comes at the expense of the QBs on your roster, and if you keep doing it you can induce something of a vicious cycle. I'm not opposed to it, but I guess I am if it doesn't get you where you want to go, and now that the 12 team playoff is here, that's definitely the objective.

I just feel like this is a golden opportunity for MF to say You know what? We're going to pause this for a second, RL is hurt, and even though we paid him all this money and we don't want to get a reputation for not backing our ballyhooed transfers at the first sign of trouble, let's get Angeli in there and get a win vs Purdue with a healthy QB. And a capable one who we originally recruited. Yeah, and then we'll go from there.

It's just in this instance if RL really is outright injured, has to play with pain and his skill set is compromised, we have other QBs who are ready to go.

Angeli, Minchey, Carr. Stop using the portal, Riley Leonard is a noodle arm and severely limited throwing down field. They can’t attack offenses.
"If he is such a good hitter, why doen't he hit good?" If Leonard is such a good passer, why doesn't he pass good?? Tired of the portal. If the coach can't take a Fr. or Soph. and develop him into a good QB then he isn't a very good coach. If Freemen is such a good coach, why doesn't he coach good??

"If he is such a good hitter, why doen't he hit good?" If Leonard is such a good passer, why doesn't he pass good?? Tired of the portal. If the coach can't take a Fr. or Soph. and develop him into a good QB then he isn't a very good coach. If Freemen is such a good coach, why doesn't he coach good??
He's better than Brian Kelly but remember...
The same Brian Kelly who got exactly one win against a top 5 team...
At home...with their backup QB...in a weird covid year.
In 12 years.

MF is doing better than Brian Kelly. Pretty much even messing up the QB position.

That doesn't say much.

He's better than Brian Kelly but remember...
The same Brian Kelly who got exactly one win against a top 5 team...
At home...with their backup QB...in a weird covid year.
In 12 years.

MF is doing better than Brian Kelly. Pretty much even messing up the QB position.

That doesn't say much.
It's clear to everyone on the planet including the staff, except a few of the mentally challenged that Angeli is the guy.

That said, Angeli is the lone holdover from the Kelly era in that QB room. the last QB, Kelly/Rees recruited, and it almost feels as though MF wants nothing to do with that at the most important position on the offense for whatever reason. They have brought in 2 average to below average QB's the last 2 seasons in an attempt to upgrade the QB position instead of going with and developing what they have, and it's backfired. It's backfired because we've heard nothing but how talented this team is and they are a playoff team.

It's just strange to me that you stick with a QB that can't make throws and is struggling when you have someone sitting on the bench that can, and has proven it time and time again. It's bizarre.

Reactions: 88ND
It's clear to everyone on the planet including the staff, except a few of the mentally challenged that Angeli is the guy.

That said, Angeli is the lone holdover from the Kelly era in that QB room. the last QB, Kelly/Rees recruited, and it almost feels as though MF wants nothing to do with that at the most important position on the offense for whatever reason. They have brought in 2 average to below average QB's the last 2 seasons in an attempt to upgrade the QB position instead of going with and developing what they have, and it's backfired. It's backfired because we've heard nothing but how talented this team is and they are a playoff team.

It's just strange to me that you stick with a QB that can't make throws and is struggling when you have someone sitting on the bench that can, and has proven it time and time again. It's bizarre.
MF has millions of dollars on the line. The only thing he's considering as it relates to his depth chart, is getting the best/most productive players on his 85-man roster into live game action. And since he has way more access to the players, over many many reps, tests, etc. you kind of just have to give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt because we don't have enough access (or experience for that matter) to have an educated opinion on the topic.

Last edited:
MF has millions of dollars on the line. The only thing he's considering as it relates to his depth chart, is getting the best/most productive players on his 85-man roster into live game action.
Riley Leonard is horrible. The offense is one dimensional. A legitimate defense will shut down the offense. The backup QB's have 100% of ND's passing TD's They are not trotting out the best QB on that roster, it's evident from the games we've seen.

Riley Leonard is horrible. The offense is one dimensional. A legitimate defense will shut down the offense. The backup QB's have 100% of ND's passing TD's They are not trotting out the best QB on that roster, it's evident from the games we've seen.
Marcus Freeman + Mike Denbrock + the rest of the offensive assistant coaches + all the offensive analysts on the Notre Dame staff apparently are masochists suiciding their careers to leave the better QB on the bench because they are butt-hurt about the QB being a Brian Kelly leftover?

Makes no sense.

Last edited:
Marcus Freeman + Mike Denbrock + the rest of the offensive assistant coaches + all the offensive analysts on the Notre Dame staff apparently are masochists suiciding their careers to leave the better QB on the bench because they are butt-hurt about the QB being a Brian Kelly leftover?

Makes no sense.
Starting Riley Leonard over Steve Angeli makes no sense.

Back in the pre-2000s era, teams won championships with running QBs who didn't pass much and rarely threw downfield - including Notre Dame in 1988.

So maybe you could still win a championship with primarily running and short passing, if it's done right. We did beat TX A&M with that formula, basically, also. BTW they beat Florida yesterday.

Horrible QBs don't rush for 100 yards and 3 TDs in a half. He is a weapon running the ball. But not good throwing the ball clearly. So as I've said before, we should play both QBs. Then teams would have to gameplan for both QBs.

Horrible QBs don't rush for 100 yards and 3 TDs in a half. He is a weapon running the ball. But not good throwing the ball clearly. So as I've said before, we should play both QBs. Then teams would have to gameplan for both QBs.
Stop right there.
While Riley didn't play horribly bad this week...
You need to keep in perspective who he got all that running success against.
Purdue looked like they were trying out to become a Big12 member.
Their defense was utterly atrocious.
I've seem better tackling at a flag football game and I've never seen a flag football game .

Riley's one down the field pass was 20 yards....
A deep IN pattern.

How'd that go?
One hopped. In other words he threw it into the ground.
20 freaking yards. It needed to have zip on it. That's the problem. When he stepped into it with no pressure hindrance....he skipped it in there.
That screams weak arm. Like really weak.

It weèeŕas no mystery ...if you weren't looking at jersey numbers and listening to the announcers the moment Angeli passed the ball...WHOA...who just threw that pass? That can't be Riley.
We'll IT WASN'T!!!

P.s.
Notice how much room Angeli had to run? It was a lot!!! A ton of room. And then when a potential tackle got near they showed the world of tackle football exactly how you don't do it.
Lastly...see the scramble to his right? We had a receiver 40 yards down field completely ignored by the defense.
He also got ignored by our very own QB.
Maybe he wasn't ignored. Perhaps Riley knew he couldn't get the ball to him 38 yards down field so he didn't ge attemp it.

Reactions: NDinNJ
He ran the ball effectively at Duke too. I said he wasn't a good passer in my post and we should play both. People are acting like our backup is the Manning kid. I do think going forward both will play.

I can tell you the problem. It's three pronged.
Riley is a tease. He can run some, Purdue was an absurd defense. But Riley can run "ok".
He won't rip one off 50 yards and has the defense in fear of such. He can get us 6-12 ugly yards more than not. That's it.
BUT...it has the coaches all giddy because in today's game what's everyone want? A "dual threat" QB.
The problem is he's NOT a dual threat. He's a single threat. Running.

Against a decent defense or a decently coached defense they will force him to throw. See NIU for reference. When he has to pass that's when trouble comes screaming.

He's not so good at running that we can ignore is horrendous passing.

Lastly the NIL.
Again...until someone shows me that NIL isn't making the depth chart I will continue to think it does.
The QB starting decision can't possibly be this stupid...right?
NIL and it's absurdity, will never allow the benching.

This whole thing is a joke.
We will probably win out the rest of the way and unreservedly get into the 12 team playoff.

Golden might have said to the defense we have to win these because our QB can't throw but 17 yards and isn't accurate most times as well.

This whole thing sucks

He ran the ball good at Duke too. I said he wasn't a good passer in my post and we should play both. People are acting like our backup is the Manning kid.
Compared to Riley's throwing our backup looks like Peyton Manning.
Riley is really that bad throwing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT