ADVERTISEMENT

defense wins championships

Harpo Marxist

I've posted how many times?
Sep 11, 2002
always has...always will. Brian Kelly has failed to make the full necessary commitment to this simple fact of football. Notre Dame cannot win a championship unless and until Brian Kelly goes all in defensively up front. That means high end players on the defensive front and depth. The latter is the weakness right now....

I love this team...but the defense is lacking the depth and power up front. Go ahead and rip on me...I don't care....its what I see.

Harpo,

with these Refs, the Defense better be ready to play !

Harpo. The problem is they can't get the necessary players into school on that side of the ball. Kelly knows that , and that is why he isn't down on BVG. Try to win with great offense and an attacking d that causes turnovers givng ND more possesions. I am not a Kelly guy, but he and BVG are not the problem. The Administration is the problem. The next coach will fare no better unless things change at the top.

Sorry guys...I am being nice.....Kelly will not win a title at Notre Dame....because his system is not weighted on the defensive side of the ball. Recruits know this. The old argument that ND can't recruit defensive players is cynical. The emphasis of this system is not defensive....and recruits know this. So to say that kids don't want to play defense at Notre Dame...well...look at the system and the coaching and ask yourself...Is the commitment such that you want to play defensive tackle or defensive end at Notre Dame? It cuts both ways..but the age old argument is one way.

Funny thing....I was listening to Ross Browner talk about Notre Dame's team earlier today...and then it struck me....Notre Dame can win titles when defense is the priority it must be.

Sorry guys...I am being nice.....Kelly will not win a title at Notre Dame....because his system is not weighted on the defensive side of the ball. Recruits know this. The old argument that ND can't recruit defensive players is cynical. The emphasis of this system is not defensive....and recruits know this. So to say that kids don't want to play defense at Notre Dame...well...look at the system and the coaching and ask yourself...Is the commitment such that you want to play defensive tackle or defensive end at Notre Dame? It cuts both ways..but the age old argument is one way.

Funny thing....I was listening to Ross Browner talk about Notre Dame's team earlier today...and then it struck me....Notre Dame can win titles when defense is the priority it must be.
Recruits know this d sucks

Alabama's defense played like trash for the most part vs Ole Miss today, as they did a year ago in the title game... yet they won.

ND has is losing this game on the back of shit offensive line play and stubborn play calling. The defense has played ok by BVG's standard but Michigan State's front 7 has made ND's kids look like cowards in the first half. Hopefully they nut up In the 2nd half, and play with pride in their home field, because right now Malik McDowell is stealing the game and may take the ND offenses' girlfriends and mothera with him on the way out.

When you play MSU you better sack up and execute. ND did neither in the first half. They played entitled and in doing so an inferior team out-toughed them and out-worked them.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Alabama's defense played like trash for the most part vs Ole Miss today, as they did a year ago in the title game... yet they won.

ND has is losing this game on the back of shit offensive line play and stubborn play calling. The defense has played ok by BVG's standard but Michigan State's front 7 has made ND's kids look like cowards in the first half. Hopefully they nut up In the 2nd half, and play with pride in their home field, because right now Malik McDowell is stealing the game and may take the ND offenses' girlfriends and mothera with him on the way out.

When you play MSU you better sack up and execute. ND did neither in the first half. They played entitled and in doing so an inferior team out-toughed them and out-worked them.
Kelly's teams have never played with toughness on either side of the ball. There have been 1 or 2 guys that have but as a rule they have been fairly soft teams on both sides of the ball.

ND still doesn't have a sack this season and honestly they have put very little pressure on the QB in 3 games.

"Michigan State's front seven made ND's kids look like cowards"? That sounds familiar.....and kinda the point....

Also unfortunately, MSU, receives to open the second half.
The deense had better come up big or we will be in a deep hole.

Harpo. The problem is they can't get the necessary players into school on that side of the ball. Kelly knows that , and that is why he isn't down on BVG. Try to win with great offense and an attacking d that causes turnovers givng ND more possesions. I am not a Kelly guy, but he and BVG are not the problem. The Administration is the problem. The next coach will fare no better unless things change at the top.
Yet Stanford who has tougher admission standards somehow have very good defenses every year. Those guys play with their hair on fire because that's the way Shaw coaches.

Reactions: IrishHerb

That was the discussion when coach Kelly was hired

I'll keep banging this drum.. ND should make Shaw the highest paid coach in CFB. I know they won't because they are happy as long as they are making money.

I'm not sure, but I do not believe the desire is there to give up all that is Palo Alto to come to South Bend
Maybe not but he'd more than double his salary. I'm not saying he would come for sure but I guarantee he'd think long and hard. Like I said, I doubt it will happen ND admin is happy just making money.

Stanford is in Palo Alto California. Notre Dame is in South Bend Indiana. That is why Stanford can do it and Notre Dame can't. Honestly, South Bend is a bung hole. Hard to recruit vs California.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT