ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo: Expectation exceeding the appreciation

Love this rant by Dabo. While most fanbases have always been unrealistic (even gotta include myself in that group at times) I think he captured the Message board mentality in this current era of CFB perfectly.
Good for Dabo. I’ve been watching the last couple of weeks and people like Paul Finebaum and others talking so dismissively about “the run is over,” “ he hasn’t adjusted,” “no more generational quarterbacks,” etc., etc.

Yeah? Even if that’s true, he created some thing that very few people ever create at any school, and has had almost unparalleled success within a relatively short amount of time. These people who sit and criticize could never have achieved even a tiny sliver of that same success, but sit around and talk so dismissively about something that has taken an immense amount of work and passion and effort.

Last edited:
Guy plays in a crap conference and has been on the decline for the last 3.5 years and instead of taking responsibility for it he'd rather rant and lecture fans for wanting to win

That was pathetic by Dabo

Everyone in every job gets critiqued, gets coached, asked how they can be better. He can’t handle some criticism from someone he doesn’t know while he is making $11.5M during a bad year… pathetic.
He’s earned his money, but he’s also earned more criticism when they have a bad year like this due to prior success..If he doesn’t want criticism then he can go to Stanford where the fan base doesn’t care.

Guy plays in a crap conference and has been on the decline for the last 3.5 years and instead of taking responsibility for it he'd rather rant and lecture fans for wanting to win
Exactly the type of response we'd come to expect from you. Get to the playoffs every year or you suck, isn't that your mantra? Have the #1 recruiting class or you failed. That's another one of yours.

If you listened to the whole thing, Dabo DID take responsibility for the losses. And, he was ABSOLUTELY spot on with his comments about fans, such as you. Because of social media people have a voice to question every bad play, every mistake a coach or player makes. They want to hold those people to a higher standard than to which they hold themselves.

Were the Clemson fans asking him to justify his salary when they won the two NCs?

Last edited:
Exactly the type of response we'd come to expect from you. Get to the playoffs every year or you suck, isn't that your mantra? Have the #1 recruiting class or you failed. That's another one of yours.

If you listened to the whole thing, Dabo DID take responsibility for the losses. And, he was ABSOLUTELY spot on with his comments about fans, such as you. Because of social media people have a voice to question every bad play, every mistake a coach or player makes. They want to hold those people to a higher standard than to which they hold themselves.

Were the Clemson fans asking him to justify his salary when they won the two NCs?
If you or I absolutely crush it for 12 years at work, then we shockingly, without explanation begin to suck. There's going to be a lot of questions and inquiring that come and need to be answered. Yeah, asking to justify his salary is dumb, but dabo's inability to handle criticism right now and pointing to prior years is soft.

50% of the rant was explaining how awesome he and the program have been, 40% on the issues with fans, and 10% him actually taking accountability.

He's led the build of clemson back up and a salary that's at the highest in college football. He has increased the expectations rightfully so. With great power comes great responsibility.

Read the whole thing. Two possibilities this weekend. Clemson comes out and plays like monsters or they go through the motions. This type of thing can either galvanize a team or bring them down further.

He sounded a bit entitled. With massive pay comes massive expectations. Everyone knows about the two championships. He just sounds like a guy who never hears criticism.

I think he had a right to drill the caller. He has won big. He graduates his players. So he's having a bad year. We've had bad years for decades! I would love to have had a coach who won two natty's

👍 to Dabo.

Fans often forget that the other guys (top head coaches) are trying Too! :( And is lot of rule changes have taken place while he has been at CU. What really hurt Dabo badly was guessing wrong on D, J. Ukulele. A QB miss can really set a staff back!
Kudo to Dabo: still a great coach!

Good for Dabo. I’ve been watching the last couple of weeks and people like Paul Finebaum and others talking so dismissively about “the run is over,” “ he hasn’t adjusted,” “no more generational quarterbacks,” etc., etc.

Yeah? Even if that’s true, he created some thing that very few people ever create at any school, and has had almost unparalleled success within a relatively short amount of time. These people who sit and criticize could never have achieved even a tiny sliver of that same success, but sit around and talk so dismissively about something that has taken an immense amount of work and passion and effort.
👍

👍 to Dabo.

Fans often forget that the other guys (top head coaches) are trying Too! :( And is lot of rule changes have taken place while he has been at CU. What really hurt Dabo badly was guessing wrong on D, J. Ukulele. A QB miss can really set a staff back!
Kudo to Dabo: still a great coach!
One of the things that has hurt Dabo is not embracing the TP.

The college football landscape changed dramatically in a very short period of time.

We’ll need to coach and play well on Saturday !

Reactions: d1042
So all the other guys who don’t get the NC trophy ‘failed’ and ought be ‘fired’? Everyone understands how difficult it is to get to the playoffs, let alone emerge victorious! Dabo is still in the mix; most seasons.

So all the other guys who don’t get the NC trophy ‘failed’ and ought be ‘fired’? Everyone understands how difficult it is to get to the playoffs, let alone emerge victorious! Dabo is still in the mix; most seasons.
I agreed to his past success' and future expectations of doing so. I'm not sure what your beef is?

I think it is perception too. The perception is they are trending downwards as a program, and recruiting has fallen off a bit. But that can change. Their board has a glory days are gone feel to it this year. Dabo is also polarizing as a person and rubs many the wrong way.

Dabo Swinney won two national titles and I think fans are thrilled about that and appreciate what he's done for that program very much. You can appreciate past accomplishments and still be critical of the present. These things are not mutually exclusive. College football is a shrewd 'what have you done for me lately' business. You don't get a lifetime pass for declining/sucking because you had a lot of success in the past.

Dabo Swinney won two national titles and I think fans are thrilled about that and appreciate what he's done for that program very much. You can appreciate past accomplishments and still be critical of the present. These things are not mutually exclusive. College football is a shrewd 'what have you done for me lately' business. You don't get a lifetime pass for declining/sucking because you had a lot of success in the past.
What do you base compensation on ?

Past performance or future expectations ?

What do you base compensation on ?

Past performance or future expectations ?

At the time of Dabo's extension they were paying for his projected performance. It turns out those projections were wrong.

I think Dabo has become very ordinary now that his A+ team of assistant coaches have finally moved on to bigger and better jobs over the last several years.

At the time of Dabo's extension they were paying for his projected performance. It turns out those projections were wrong.

I think Dabo has become very ordinary now that his A+ team of assistant coaches have finally moved on to bigger and better jobs over the last several years.
Why didn't you say this garbage before the season?

Just an opportunistic bullshit post from a couch critic.

Why didn't you say this garbage before the season?

Just an opportunistic bullshit post from a couch critic.
I think a lot of people have been questioning him and Clemson the last 2 years and considered them trending down

I think a lot of people have been questioning him and Clemson the last 2 years and considered them trending down
Golson, when you win two titles in the last 8 seasons and play for another title in that time span, certainly you trend down at some point.

Nick Saban is trending down.
Urban Meyer has trended out of sight.
Jimbo Fisher is trending down.

All those dudes, like Dabo, won titles.

So What.

Golson, when you win two titles in the last 8 seasons and play for another title in that time span, certainly you trend down at some point.

Nick Saban is trending down.
Urban Meyer has trended out of sight.
Jimbo Fisher is trending down.

All those dudes, like Dabo, won titles.

So What.
So what? That's the whole point. Fans at Clemson care.

Dabo is kind of dumb to want to talk to random Clemson fans live and not expect some fan to eventually ask "wtf is going on, coach?". Refusing to use the portal is costing Clemson wins. And that is Dabo's decision.

This is a bad take, fans are always unrealistic. I can go back a find articles from the past five years asking if Saban lost his magic after Bama lost a single game, it’s ridiculous.

Clemson was a NOBODY for decades, he’s taken them to 7 playoffs and 2 National Championships, and he did that beating teams like Bama, OSU, OU, etc. blame the conference all you want but they dominated for a decade.

For a caller to claim a man of his success a failure is absurd. Dabo was a walk on to Bama, became a starter, was the first person in his family to ever graduate college, climbed the coaching ranks to be one of the games most successful coaches. Millions would love to fail as well as Dabo has.

He’s earned the right for some latitude, if he’s in the same position in 2025 then you can say it’s time for a change.

Th $11.5 mil. is for what he's done not for what he's doing
Exactly…

Dabo has also been a stand up guy. He took criticism a few years ago for leading players in a bible study group. Where are we as a society when that’s considered faux pas but bringing in literal gang rappers to your locker rooms like USC, and Colorado is good?

I actually feel for him, he’s refused (right/wrong) to embrace the portal saying he wants to build his program from within but that philosophy might no be compatible in the current environment of CFB. We are now in the era of the Mercenary Athlete..

So what? That's the whole point. Fans at Clemson care.
A vocal, small minority of Clemson Football fans say something, and you infer that the majority of Clemson fans have a problem with Dabo.

Bullshit. I don't believe it.

A vocal, small minority of Clemson Football fans say something, and you infer that the majority of Clemson fans have a problem with Dabo.

Bullshit. I don't believe it.
Show me where I said the majority of fans have a problem with Dabo.

Thanks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT