ADVERTISEMENT

Cotton Bowl Thread

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
Thought I'd start a thread where we could post all thoughts and media surrounding the game, in attempt to keep it organized.

Thought this video was pretty cool. The people of Texas showing some awesome hospitality and the kids / staff of Clemson showing some real class. Hard not to like Dabo. He does things the right way down there and his program is full of good kids, a lot like Notre Dame's.

I'll post ND's arrival video as soon as I can find it! Go Irish!

Reactions: Quest4Twelve
Good find IIO. You're right I think Dabo is a pretty good dude. Looking forward to the ND video and getting goose bumps.

Thought I'd start a thread where we could post all thoughts and media surrounding the game, in attempt to keep it organized.

Thought this video was pretty cool. The people of Texas showing some awesome hospitality and the kids / staff of Clemson showing some real class. Hard not to like Dabo. He does things the right way down there and his program is full of good kids, a lot like Notre Dame's.

I hate all this pregame "feel good" crap ! I hope the Irish players are all thinking about punishing the Clemson players. We had enough feel good crap with Manti--and look what happened in the championship game. Nothing wrong with being mean and dominating your opponent. Nice guys finish last !

I hate all this pregame "feel good" crap ! I hope the Irish players are all thinking about punishing the Clemson players. We had enough feel good crap with Manti--and look what happened in the championship game. Nothing wrong with being mean and dominating your opponent. Nice guys finish last !

Agreed entirely... Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, Austin Bryant, Clelin Ferrel and Xavier Thomas aren't going to play nice. They're setting up their draft stock as the best DL in the country. Thry'll be looking to eat ND's offensive line alive... Notre Dame needs to come out hungry, confident, pissed off and with a huge chip on their shoulder.

Dabo has an uncanny ability of being a great guy away from the field, but a fiery maniac, who gets his kids juiced, come game time.

Notre Dame must match that energy and the physicality that stems from it.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
Agreed entirely... Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, Austin Bryant, Clelin Ferrel and Xavier Thomas aren't going to play nice. They're setting up their draft stock as the best DL in the country. Thry'll be looking to eat ND's offensive line alive... Notre Dame needs to come out hungry, confident, pissed off and with a huge chip on their shoulder.

Dabo has an uncanny ability of being a great guy away from the field, but a fiery maniac, who gets his kids juiced, come game time.

Notre Dame must match that energy and the physicality that stems from it.

I was thinking. Those Clemson Dlineman all know they are getting drafted high no matter what happens in the game. Will that be to Notre Dames advantage? Might those future pros take a play off here and there to avoid injury? Just wondering.

I was thinking. Those Clemson Dlineman all know they are getting drafted high no matter what happens in the game. Will that be to Notre Dames advantage? Might those future pros take a play off here and there to avoid injury? Just wondering.

Double it. Ferrell and Wilkins were first rounders last year and returned to Clemson to win a national championship. They risked injury and a huge loss in salary to give Dabo another year. Xavier Thomas is a 5 star freshman, just making a name for himself. They'll be amped up and ready to go.

Double it. Ferrell and Wilkins were first rounders last year and returned to Clemson to win a national championship. They risked injury and a huge loss in salary to give Dabo another year. Xavier Thomas is a 5 star freshman, just making a name for himself. They'll be amped up and ready to go.

The way to beat those big fat guys on the Clemson Dline is to play ball control and keep them on the field, IMO. Chip Long is a genius. His stock will grow skyhigh after we beat Clemson.

The way to beat those big fat guys on the Clemson Dline is to play ball control and keep them on the field, IMO. Chip Long is a genius. His stock will grow skyhigh after we beat Clemson.

To me the chess match will be whether or not they can beat Clemson over the top. Clemson knows that ND wants to get the ball out quick to neutralize their last rush. They'll have their corners right at the LOS to disrupt ND's short passing concepts. They'll challenge Ian to hang onto the ball, the OL to protect and ND's WRs to make plays downfield... Looking forward to the chess match between Long and Venables. ND's tight ends in the seem against Clemson's safeties and the ND running backs out of the backfield (Williams and Armstrong in particular) vs the Clemson Linebackers, is what I'm watching for!

Last edited:
To me the chest match will be whether or not they can beat Clemson over the top. Clemson knows that ND wants to get the ball out quick to neutralize their last rush. They'll have their corners right at the LOS to disrupt ND's short passing concepts. They'll challenge Ian to hang onto the ball, the OL to protect and ND's WRs to make plays downfield... Looking forward to the chess match between Long and Venables. ND's tight ends in the seem against Clemson's safeties and the ND running backs out of the backfield (Williams and Armstrong in particular) vs the Clemson Linebackers, is what I'm watching for!

I am really high on Cole Kmet's ability. I think he is the perfect tight end. I hope he gets some targets against Clemson.

Reactions: IRISHJD98
To me the chest match will be whether or not they can beat Clemson over the top. Clemson knows that ND wants to get the ball out quick to neutralize their last rush. They'll have their corners right at the LOS to disrupt ND's short passing concepts. They'll challenge Ian to hang onto the ball, the OL to protect and ND's WRs to make plays downfield... Looking forward to the chess match between Long and Venables. ND's tight ends in the seem against Clemson's safeties and the ND running backs out of the backfield (Williams and Armstrong in particular) vs the Clemson Linebackers, is what I'm watching for!

Do Claypool, Mack and Boykin win those jump balls and back shoulder throws? Do they come back to the ball to get a PI or 2. Was glad to see Dex showing some ability in the passing game. Adds another layer that Clemson has to account for. Jafar is back to full strength from all accounts. If we give Book time I like Finke working the middle a lot. He's a tough matchup with his ability to play as a possession guy most the game, then torch you deep. Something also tells me Book is gonna need to make a couple first downs with his feet, which he is fully capable of doing.

The one thing I want to see is ND stopping the run without having to bring extra help in the box. If they do that we got a game. If it looks anything like, hate to say it, 2012 then lord help us.

Any word on MTA? Last I saw Kelly said he's healthy, but probably looking at limited reps. That's enough to help get the starters some rest.

So ready for Saturday!

If Clemson corners press the ND WRs ND will dominate through the air. The Clemson corners are the weak link of the team. ND Big WRs will dominate in press coverage. If they plan on crowding the line Book will get MVP.

Wow, a fan posting the opponents arrival and then loads it with compliments?

I know you like ND but man you can’t get off Dabo’s nuts

Clemson hardly ever brings corners to the line. 5-7 yard depth. Is how they usually play. Corners are not good enough to play up. Not big enough, not strong enough.

They will play 5-7 and break on balls.

Clemson hardly ever brings corners to the line. 5-7 yard depth. Is how they usually play. Corners are not good enough to play up. Not big enough, not strong enough.

They will play 5-7 and break on balls.

The safeties are the weak link if there is one. The corners are both studs. Both were top 50 overall HS recruits. Both are gonna project high in the draft

The safeties are the weak link if there is one. The corners are both studs. Both were top 50 overall HS recruits. Both are gonna project high in the draft
Top 50 in high school does not mean top anything in college.

Studs is not the word I would use to describe Trayvon Mullen or A.J. Terrell. Potential is the word I would use.

Dabo was very concerned about the corner spot. Not a lot of depth and starters were named late in the summer.

Trayvon Mullen had a better 2017 season than 2018. No picks 3 pass breakups and tackles down from 40 last season to 25 this season.

Again, secondary is the weak link safeties to corners.

Reactions: NDIRISH53
Top 50 in high school does not mean top anything in college.

Studs is not the word I would use to describe Trayvon Mullen or A.J. Terrell. Potential is the word I would use.

Dabo was very concerned about the corner spot. Not a lot of depth and starters were named late in the summer.

Trayvon Mullen had a better 2017 season than 2018. No picks 3 pass breakups and tackles down from 40 last season to 25 this season.

Again, secondary is the weak link safeties to corners.

Still a top 4 D and all the teams ahead of Clemson have one less game at 12. Clemson allows the fewest yards per play on D. Pass D efficiency is 16th but that’s ok. Again both those corners are NFL corners. The safeties have been up and down. Muse is up and down. Simmons is up and down. Both are fast as hell though

Wow, a fan posting the opponents arrival and then loads it with compliments?

I know you like ND but man you can’t get off Dabo’s nuts

Lol the Clemson video was on YouTube first. Made one positive comment about their coach in the thread. It's a game man. A game that you're not playing in. It's not like ND is playing the Nazi's or Michigan.

Lol the Clemson video was on YouTube first. Made one positive comment about their coach in the thread. It's a game man. A game that you're not playing in. It's not like ND is playing the Nazi's or Michigan.
A game yes no doubt.

However, an Irish fan posting the opponents arrival to the biggest game since 2012 and filling it with complements, that’s a first for me.

You say it’s not like ND is playing Michigan. This game is bigger than and more important than any ND vs Michigan game has ever been.

One positive comment about their coach and compliments about the players.

Why?

A game yes no doubt.

However, an Irish fan posting the opponents arrival to the biggest game since 2012 and filling it with complements, that’s a first for me.

You say it’s not like ND is playing Michigan. This game is bigger than and more important than any ND vs Michigan game has ever been.

Why?

Because I'm a fan of the game, but my life isn't ND football. I post here for fun, but I'm not some fanatical observer. I'm sure you'll agree that there are better, more important things in life than ND football... For some it might be the best thing in their life. I think those people ought to get out in the world. It's an awesome place.

I'm not so attached to ND football that I can't enjoy things in the world that aren't Notre Dame... So when I see something fun, like the Clemson video, I share it. I intended to do the same with the ND video when it was uploaded to YouTube (as I stated earlier in the thread) but Theskibro beat me to it.

As long as it's not Michigan... **** Michigan.

A game yes no doubt.

Why?
Cmon Zorich, IIO started a Cotton Bowl thread which suggests all things having to do with the game and build up to it. Personally glad he posted the Clemson arrival, and I happen to like Dabo as a HC quite a bit, as well. Their arrival and kudos to Dabo don’t detract from ND or my fanatic loyalty and support for ND. Beating a respected program and respected team as a prohibitive underdog will be awesome, and then beating Alabama whom I seriously dislike will be awesome on steroids.

Pro Football Focus ranked top 50 2019 NFL prospects playing in CFP.

Alabama 16
ND 15
Clemson 11
OU 8

I guess some on here will be disappointed to see ND has that much talent/recruiting/development.
According to some, ND doesn’t recruit talent & cant compete with others?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-top-50-prospects-in-college-football-playoff

ND has tons of talent. They have NFL players in every position group. They can play with and beat Clemson, I think.

The reason I'm picking Clemson to win is the difference in the 1st round picks, almost all of them who were top tier 4 and 5 star players...

Future 1st rounders starting or playing big minutes for Clemson...

QB: Trevor Lawrence (FR)
WR: Tee Higgens (SOPH)
WR: Justyn Ross (FR)- Will get there
LT: Mitch Hyatt (SR)
DE: Clelin Ferrell (JR)
DT: Christian Wilkins (SR)
DE: Xavier Thomas (FR)

* ND is catching an awesome break that NG Dexter Lawrence, another first rounder, failed his drug test.

If anyone doesn't believe me that any of those guys are future first rounders, save this thread and we'll look back at it every year, because unless injuries derail their careers, all of those guys project to be 1st rounders when it's their turn to be drafted.

I think ND is every bit as deep as Clemson, but my suspicion (and I sincerely hope I'm wrong) is that their elite future 1st round picks outplay our future NFL'ers, in a close, very competitive game.

Pro Football Focus ranked top 50 2019 NFL prospects playing in CFP.

Alabama 16
ND 15
Clemson 11
OU 8

I guess some on here will be disappointed to see ND has that much talent/recruiting/development.
According to some, ND doesn’t recruit talent & cant compete with others?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-top-50-prospects-in-college-football-playoff

Also, many of Clemson's best players, Lawrence, Higgens, Ross, Thomas, Rodgers, Etienne, Terrell, etc, etc, are sophomores or freshman and aren't eligible for the draft. Everyone of the players I just listed would be on that list for Clemson if this included underclassmen that are starters or major contributers. ND is an old team. Their starters are primarily juniors and seniors. Clemson has an extremely young team by comparison. Their players aren't draft eligible yet, but they are incredibly talented and many of them are proving to be difference makers early in their careers... In no way does that list do Clemson's talent level justice.

Also, many of Clemson's best players, Lawrence, Higgens, Ross, Thomas, Rodgers, Etienne, Terrell, etc, etc, are sophomores or freshman and aren't eligible for the draft. Everyone of the players I just listed would be on that list for Clemson if this included underclassmen that are starters or major contributers. ND is an old team. Their starters are primarily juniors and seniors. Clemson has an extremely young team by comparison. Their players aren't draft eligible yet, but they are incredibly talented and many of them are proving to be difference makers early in their careers... In no way does that list do Clemson's talent level justice.
Not sure where you are getting your information from but Clemson is not loaded with underclassmen
Both their starting Dline and Oline are all upperclassmen.
17 out 22 starters are juniors or seniors.

Reactions: Leahylads
Because I'm a fan of the game, but my life isn't ND football. I post here for fun, but I'm not some fanatical observer. I'm sure you'll agree that there are better, more important things in life than ND football... For some it might be the best thing in their life. I think those people ought to get out in the world. It's an awesome place.

I'm not so attached to ND football that I can't enjoy things in the world that aren't Notre Dame... So when I see something fun, like the Clemson video, I share it. I intended to do the same with the ND video when it was uploaded to YouTube (as I stated earlier in the thread) but Theskibro beat me to it.

As long as it's not Michigan... **** Michigan.

We can all agree that there are many things more important than Irish football. But you hardly say anything good about Irish players (unless they are recruits who have never played) and gush over the Clemsons Ohio States and Alabamas. Go Irish !

Reactions: Zorich 88
Cmon Zorich, IIO started a Cotton Bowl thread which suggests all things having to do with the game and build up to it. Personally glad he posted the Clemson arrival, and I happen to like Dabo as a HC quite a bit, as well. Their arrival and kudos to Dabo don’t detract from ND or my fanatic loyalty and support for ND. Beating a respected program and respected team as a prohibitive underdog will be awesome, and then beating Alabama whom I seriously dislike will be awesome on steroids.
I guess I am just old fashion.

Never would I post the arrival of the opponent and and say flattering things about the coach and the players. Especially a few days before the biggest game ND has played since 2012.

I can’t stand anything Clemson right now. Especially after watching Dabo lie about how his players could have “Accidentally” ingested a banned substance.

Look, I wear my ND glasses 24/7. Clemson is trying to crush ND’s championship hopes. I will not say anything positive about them.

Not sure where you are getting your information from but Clemson is not loaded with underclassmen
Both their starting Dline and Oline are all upperclassmen.
17 out 22 starters are juniors or seniors.

Trevor Lawrence, their starting quarterback is a freshman.

Travis Etienne, their starting tailback is a sophomore.

Amari Rodgers, Tee Higgens, and Justyn Ross, three of their 4 starting wide receivers not named Hunter Renfrow, are sophomores or freshmen... They play a ton of 4 WR sets and those are the 4 that are playing.

AJ Terrell is their starting corner is a sophomore.

Xavier Thomas, a freshman, starts in nickel and replaces Austin Bryant on most pass rushing downs. He's "not a starter" like Julian Okwara is "not a starter" when Daelin Hayes is listed ahead of him on a printed depth chart.

Those 7 freshmen and starters will play the majority of the snaps, regardless of what a printed depth chart tells you... That's the functional depth chart.

All the starting skilled position players on offense that will contribute in the game, with the exception of Renfrow, are sophomores or freshmen... None of them make the list Farly posted because they're not draft eligible.

That's a pretty damn young group.

Trevor Lawrence, their starting quarterback is a freshman.

Travis Etienne, their starting tailback is a sophomore.

Amari Rodgers, Tee Higgens, and Justyn Ross, three of their 4 starting wide receivers not named Hunter Renfrow, are sophomores or freshmen... They play a ton of 4 WR sets and those are the 4 that are playing.

AJ Terrell is their starting corner is a sophomore.

Xavier Thomas, a freshman, starts in nickel and replaces Austin Bryant on most pass rushing downs. He's "not a starter" like Julian Okwara is "not a starter" when Daelin Hayes is listed ahead of him on a printed depth chart.

Those 7 freshmen and starters will play the majority of the snaps, regardless of what a printed depth chart tells you... That's the functional depth chart.

All the starting skilled position players on offense that will contribute in the game, with the exception of Renfrow, are sophomores or freshmen... None of them make the list Farly posted because they're not draft eligible.

That's a pretty damn young group.

https://clemsonsportstalk.com/clemson-football/depth-chart

We can all agree that there are many things more important than Irish football. But you hardly say anything good about Irish players (unless they are recruits who have never played) and gush over the Clemsons Ohio States and Alabamas. Go Irish !

I've been talking up Julian Love as the best corner in the nation, all year... Here and on the the national board.hard to give him more praise than "best".

I spent weeks, before it was announced, talking about how I would move Tranquill to Buck in the off season because he'd be a perfect fit.

I'm a huge Dexter William's fan. I've loved him since Kelly and Alford recruited him and always hoped he'd get it together.

I just posted the other day that I really like Liam Eichenberg and his development.

I've called Ian Book an upper echelon college QB and have said he's played great this year.

I said that Chase Claypool has Larry Fitzgerald type upside if he could play at a high level consistantly. I can't imagine higher praise than comparing him to.a hall of Famer... A totally unfair comparison in the first place.

I talk about Jerry Tillery for what he is. An All American stud, and a 1st round draft pick. He's excellent.

I've talked about how strong Julian Okwsra is for a slight guy and how he runs like a deer. The exact the type of pass rusher that ND usually lacks.

I don't know what more you want me to say?... Why would I downplay Alabama and Clemson players that are about to be 1st round picks? How is that being consistent with reality?

As I told you, that depth chart is an online version of a printed handout... It's not a functional depth chart. I've watched all of the Clemson games this year. I'm telling you who starts and plays, regardless of what the website says.

The guys I posted above are who you will see on the field on the 29th. Some of the freshmen took some time to overtake the seniors and juniors ahead if them, namely Lawrence, Ross and Thomas, but they have and you'll see them play a high volume of snaps in the game.

So you can believe the website to make your point, or you can believe someone who watches the games and is telling you who is playing RIGHT NOW. Your choice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT