ADVERTISEMENT

Cotton Bowl Thread

I've been talking up Julian Love as the best corner in the nation, all year... Here and on the the national board.hard to give him more praise than "best".

I spent weeks, before it was announced, talking about how I would move Tranquill to Buck in the off season because he'd be a perfect fit.

I'm a huge Dexter William's fan. I've loved him since Kelly and Alford recruited him and always hoped he'd get it together.

I just posted the other day that I really like Liam Eichenberg and his development.

I've called Ian Book an upper echelon college QB and have said he's played great this year.

I said that Chase Claypool has Larry Fitzgerald type upside if he could play at a high level consistantly. I can't imagine higher praise than comparing him to.a hall of Famer... A totally unfair comparison in the first place.

I talk about Jerry Tillery for what he is. An All American stud, and a 1st round draft pick. He's excellent.

I've talked about how strong Julian Okwsra is for a slight guy and how he runs like a deer. The exact the type of pass rusher that ND usually lacks.

I don't know what more you want me to say?... Why would I downplay Alabama and Clemson players that are about to be 1st round picks? How is that being consistent with reality?

You guys are being clowns in this thread.

IIO is spot on money take it to the bank and get interest while some of you are like emotional wrecks who nit pick on irrelevant stuff the way fruit flies hover around and are annoying.

Chill

It’s a thread on the cotton bowl. Last time I checked, Clemson was our opponent. Dabo their coach and neither of the two are arses like meat chicken but classy, accomplished and respectful of ND

Not posting news about both teams here is like watching fake news.

Either Trump sux or is brilliant and the truth is likely in the middle

Lay off or start a new thread called “ND Rose Colored Glasses”

I am telling you both the Oline and Dline is all juniors and seniors.

Yes on
QB
3 WR
And sophomore Corner
Also LB sophomore

I never said freshman and sophomore don’t play for Clemson but the majority of the players Clemson plays are juniors and seniors

You guys are being clowns in this thread.

IIO is spot on money take it to the bank and get interest while some of you are like emotional wrecks who nit pick on irrelevant stuff the way fruit flies hover around and are annoying.

Chill

It’s a thread on the cotton bowl. Last time I checked, Clemson was our opponent. Dabo their coach and neither of the two are arses like meat chicken but classy, accomplished and respectful of ND

Not posting news about both teams here is like watching fake news.

Either Trump sux or is brilliant and the truth is likely in the middle

Lay off or start a new thread called “ND Rose Colored Glasses”
That’s so cute you come to his defense. It was not about the Cotton bowl. That might be the title but the post was about Clemson.

I am telling you both the Oline and Dline is all juniors and seniors.

Yes on
QB
3 WR
And sophomore Corner
Also LB sophomore

I never said freshman and sophomore don’t play for Clemson but the majority of the players Clemson plays are juniors and seniors

You initially said 17/22 of their starters are juniors or seniors. I disagreed with that by pointing out that in reality that is not the case, regardless if what the depth chart on a website tells you.

I never argued that Clemson's offensive and defensive lines were made up of underclassmen...

This is the comparison...

Clemson has 14 true freshmen and sophomores in their functional 2 deep, that play meaningful minutes on offense and defense. 6 of them, Trevor Lawrence, Travis Etienne, Justyn Ross, Tee Higgens, Amari Rodgers, AJ Terrell are starters... And Xavier Thomas plays co-starter minutes

Notre Dame has 8 freshmen and sophomores in their functional 2 deep, that play meaningful minutes on offense and defense... 1 of them, Robert Hainsey, is a starter.

That's why I said Clemson is a young team and Notre Dame is an old team.

You initially said 17/22 of their starters are juniors or seniors. I disagreed with that by pointing out that in reality that is not the case, regardless if what the depth chart on a website tells you.

I never argued that Clemson's offensive and defensive lines were made up of underclassmen...

This is the comparison...

Clemson has 14 true freshmen and sophomores in their functional 2 deep, that play meaningful minutes on offense and defense. 6 of them, Trevor Lawrence, Travis Etienne, Justyn Ross, Tee Higgens, Amari Rodgers, AJ Terrell are starters... And Xavier Thomas plays co-starter minutes

Notre Dame has 8 freshmen and sophomores in their functional 2 deep, that play meaningful minutes on offense and defense... 1 of them, Robert Hainsey, is a starter.

That's why I said Clemson is a young team and Notre Dame is an old team.
Sorry 16/22 starters are juniors or seniors. Not a young team. Especially when Dline and Oline are all juniors or seniors.

Sorry 16/22 starters are juniors or seniors. Not a young team. Especially when Dline and Oline are all juniors or seniors.

14 players in their 2 deep that actually play, including all of their skilled players not named Renfrow...

And with Dexter Lawrence suspended, his replacement, Pinckney, is a sophomore, meaning Pinckney and Thomas will see a boat load of minutes...

Notre Dame is a much older team than Clemson is. It's one of ND's greatest areas of strength going into the game. They're a lot older than Clemson.

Clemson is an excellent coached team. They don’t make mistakes and fight for every yard (while being smart). They’re better coached than Bama

I guess I am just old fashion.

Never would I post the arrival of the opponent and and say flattering things about the coach and the players. Especially a few days before the biggest game ND has played since 2012.

I can’t stand anything Clemson right now. Especially after watching Dabo lie about how his players could have “Accidentally” ingested a banned substance.

Look, I wear my ND glasses 24/7. Clemson is trying to crush ND’s championship hopes. I will not say anything positive about them.
And that’s great. Nothing to criticize about that, nor with the IIO post. Doesn’t matter, we all want the same thing, a ND kick ass win.

Clemson is not a young team. 16 starters are juniors or seniors. That is not young. Now we count 2 deep players when judging a young team? Do young players contribute for Clemson? Yes they do. But to say Clemson is a young team is not actuate.

The youth of a team is judged by the starting lineup not depth. A lot of teams have freshman or sophomore on 2 deeps.

Young at qb and young at WR that’s it

Clemson is not a young team. 16 starters are juniors or seniors. That is not young. Now we count 2 deep players when judging a young team? Do young players contribute for Clemson? Yes they do. But to say Clemson is a young team is not actuate.

The youth of a team is judged by the starting lineup not depth. A lot of teams have freshman or sophomore on 2 deeps.

Young at qb and young at WR that’s it

It counts when they actually play, and if you were actually listening to what I'm trying to tell you, they play a lot. Actually more reps than the "starters" in some cases, like in the example I gave you with Xavier Thomas, who isn't listed on your internet depth chart as a starter, but who Brett Venables will play for a ton of snaps, possibly more than Austin Bryant, who is "listed" ahead of him.

It doesn't matter what a piece of paper says, what matters is WHO ACTUALLY PLAYS.

If Notre Dame's young linebackers played, for example, I'd count them. But they don't. Drue Tranquill, Te'Von Coney and Asmar Bilal have taken almost every competitive snap on the season. That is not the case at Clemson. Their depth counts, because they actually play a lot, similarly to the way Notre Dame's defensive line depth counts, because they actually play a lot and make plays, which makes them a known quantity that any rational person can and should, account for. By your argument, if Daelin Hayes was a sophomore instead of a junior, he wouldn't count towards Notre Dame's youth, because Julian Okwara is listed ahead of him... Forget the fact that they rotate freely throughout the game and depending on what defensive package Notre Dame has on the field. Forget the fact that Brian Kelly doesn't even call one the "starter" because they rotate so heavily... Nope, Daelin doesn't count because a piece of paper says that Julian is the starter. That's the same argument you're making with the exception that you're using Clemson players and not Notre Dame players.

You're being completely unreasonable... If I told you that two players played at one position and one player got 55% of the snaps and the other player got 45% of the snaps, what you're telling me is that a reasonable response to that is "We only count the older guy who plays 55% of the snaps when evaluating a team. The young guy who plays 45% of the snaps is irrelevant to the assessment of the experience on the team."

That's completely ludicrous.

Clemson ACTIVELY plays, in their standard rotation, 14 true freshmen and sophomores. At least 7 of them play more minutes, or all of the minutes over upperclassmen at their position, while at least 4 more of them (I'd have to look deeper at the last 3) play a similar number of snaps as the starter.

So yes, we count 2-deep players when they actually play significant roles. That's why I keep telling you there is a difference between a paper depth chart that gets uploaded to the internet so you can Google search it, and a functional depth chart, which you only learn by evaluating snap counts and actually watching film of the team you are talking about, so you can see who plays and who doesn't, regardless of what the piece of paper says.

My suggestion to you would be to watch Clemson film this week leading up to the game. You'll see exactly what I'm telling you. They play up to 14 freshmen and sophomores in regular rotation on offense and defense, vs the 8 that Notre Dame play... Even if we just talked about the starters, Clemson starts 6/7 freshmen and sophomores to Notre Dame's 1... That makes them 6-7x younger than Notre Dame in an upper vs lower classmen comparison. That is significant relative to experience. Notre Dame is banking on that experience and maturity. Clemson is banking on the fact that in almost all of those cases those kids were 5 star freaks as recruits and they can overcome ND's experience and development, with raw talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcswoopnh
That’s so cute you come to his defense. It was not about the Cotton bowl. That might be the title but the post was about Clemson.

Z
You have embarrassed yourself but not beyond repair. We all know you to be a smart poster. You are off base in this thread. Let it go. I am not supporting anyone, just hoping you come to your senses.
Enjoy the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT