ADVERTISEMENT

Considering our WR’s were the Achilles heel of this years team . . .

BleedingBlueNGold

Shakes Down The Thunder
Oct 13, 2009
. . . is this as bad as it really seems? Clearly there were issues within the WR room. Anyone not happy can poison the entire team. Let them leave. I’m sure there will be some transfer WR’s coming in for depth along with the incoming freshman. I have heard rumblings that Beaux Collins and Juice Wells will be suiting up for the Irish next fall. ND will be fine, if not better.

If we can add two solid transfer wrs then we’re fine. If we can add one we should be ok. If we don’t add any good transfer wrs then our depth will be pretty bad at the position.

Greathouse
Cam
Faison
JT
Colzie

That could be a very good 5 deep, but you need 6-7 serviceable guys with injuries. I guess we have Smith coming off a redshirt too. So in summary no it’s not the worst thing in the world but if we don’t add some depth then we’re in trouble.

It sure isn't a positive step when you lose someone like Flores who did very well as a freshman. It's a very bad look to possibly lose this many wide receivers to the portal and who knows if any more will transfer. Spin it any way you want but my guess is Coach Freeman would rather have them than lose them and he must make a very good choice for his next WR coach to keep the incoming recruits and keep the current players,.

Quitters will always ultimately quit, and we'll, there you have it
ND cannot afford to lose anymore at the WR position. But.... they need to get the roster down to at least 80. Because they will be getting a QB, now probably at least one WR, DT, DE and maybe a Safety.

. . . is this as bad as it really seems? Clearly there were issues within the WR room. Anyone not happy can poison the entire team. Let them leave. I’m sure there will be some transfer WR’s coming in for depth along with the incoming freshman. I have heard rumblings that Beaux Collins and Juice Wells will be suiting up for the Irish next fall. ND will be fine, if not better.
Yes

Agreed. The receivers weren’t very good this season. Keep everyone left and add a couple transfers. Should be fine. Get a good replacement for Stucki

Thanks for the thoughtful post. People are freaking out, just like they did last year when we lost Buchner, Styles and Diggs. We'll be okay. Really hurts to lose Rico. Seemed like a solid kid who has all kinds of talent. No problems like Kevin Stepherson. But, ND isn't for everyone -- I'm still not convinced this is all about Chansi. Sign two solid WRs in the portal. Get upperclassman like Colzie and Thomas healthy. Add a star in the making in Greathouse and we'll be alright.

Thanks for the thoughtful post. People are freaking out, just like they did last year when we lost Buchner, Styles and Diggs. We'll be okay. Really hurts to lose Rico. Seemed like a solid kid who has all kinds of talent. No problems like Kevin Stepherson. But, ND isn't for everyone -- I'm still not convinced this is all about Chansi. Sign two solid WRs in the portal. Get upperclassman like Colzie and Thomas healthy. Add a star in the making in Greathouse and we'll be alright.
I dont remember the freak out. Hartman won the QB battle. Estime was always better than Diggs. And Styles was disapponting

But this is much worse and it's not over

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
Here's where I'm getting confused... supposedly WRs were not happy with Stuckey. OK. So Freeman fired him. Don't you think that would give the current WRs relief and they'd be eager to see who the next WR coach is? Unless of course, Stuckey was so bad that no one could repair the damage he did. With all that said, it feels like the WRs leaving are in protest of Stuckey being fired. And B. Quinn made it known he was not happy with Stuckey being fired and vouched for him as a man. Something is going on and we don't have the full picture.

Here's where I'm getting confused... supposedly WRs were not happy with Stuckey. OK. So Freeman fired him. Don't you think that would give the current WRs relief and they'd be eager to see who the next WR coach is? Unless of course, Stuckey was so bad that no one could repair the damage he did. With all that said, it feels like the WRs leaving are in protest of Stuckey being fired. And B. Quinn made it known he was not happy with Stuckey being fired and vouched for him as a man. Something is going on and we don't have the full picture.
Flores was a Stuckey guy and that's why he transferred. I think the others were not in favor of him as a coach

Hypothetical here.....Perhaps Stuckey the up and coming recruiter made promises to some of these players....some may call them inducements that were not lived up to. Coach Freeman perhaps unaware of them axes Stuckey....and guys leave because ....they did not receive what they thought they would and because ND wanted to clean its hands of the whole mess.

Reactions: tbone3114
Well allegedly Stuckey played favorites. If you were in Stuckey’s Good graces, his firing pissed you off, and you leave because you were loyal to the coach, not the university. If you were in Stuckey’s dog house, which a lot of the room was, you were so alienated that the entire university is tarnished. From what I’ve read, Stuckey needed to go before it got too irreparable. We’ll bring in a couple of top WR portal guys and be set for next year.

Well allegedly Stuckey played favorites. If you were in Stuckey’s Good graces, his firing pissed you off, and you leave because you were loyal to the coach, not the university. If you were in Stuckey’s dog house, which a lot of the room was, you were so alienated that the entire university is tarnished. From what I’ve read, Stuckey needed to go before it got too irreparable. We’ll bring in a couple of top WR portal guys and be set for next year.
Sounds like Stuckey wasn’t in Freeman’s wedding party!

That sounds most accurate out of the theories I've read so far. I doubt he was all that bad but nor was he all that good. And his intentions I imagine were good but came off as too personal for both Freeman and the players liking.

Flores was a Stuckey guy and that's why he transferred. I think the others were not in favor of him as a coach

I don't understand the logic. If Stuckey had secured a position somewhere else and Flores decided to follow him there, OK, that makes sense. But are you saying Flores left only because he was upset that ND fired Stuckey? That doesn't make sense at all, but I suppose a 19 year old doesn't always make good decisions.

Flores had a nice year, but I didn't seem him as a difference maker. He is not very big and has only average speed. Ran some good routes and caught the ball, but you can find those guys out there just about anywhere. I don't know what kind of locker room presence he had, but this move suggests not much. We take a hit losing Flores' experience in the system, but I see that as a replaceable piece.

This portal business has thrown CFB into a state of flux, and it may take some time to get used to it.

I don't understand the logic. If Stuckey had secured a position somewhere else and Flores decided to follow him there, OK, that makes sense. But are you saying Flores left only because he was upset that ND fired Stuckey? That doesn't make sense at all, but I suppose a 19 year old doesn't always make good decisions.

Flores had a nice year, but I didn't seem him as a difference maker. He is not very big and has only average speed. Ran some good routes and caught the ball, but you can find those guys out there just about anywhere. I don't know what kind of locker room presence he had, but this move suggests not much. We take a hit losing Flores' experience in the system, but I see that as a replaceable piece.

This portal business has thrown CFB into a state of flux, and it may take some time to get used to it.
At least two critical interceptions that cost us one and maybe two games were in part directly due to Flores not contesting the INT. An Alpha experienced receiver would not have let those happen without putting in an effort to break it up. See yeah.

Holy shit. Sounds like the WR room was a mess.

Your thoughts- should we have kept Stuckey?

Coaches are in a tough spot these days. If the kids don’t “like” you, they can just leave. Puts coaches in a position where they have to walk a fine line and kiss everyone’s ass.

I liked Flores. I think he could’ve had a TJ Jones type career at ND.

Holy shit. Sounds like the WR room was a mess.

Your thoughts- should we have kept Stuckey?

Coaches are in a tough spot these days. If the kids don’t “like” you, they can just leave. Puts coaches in a position where they have to walk a fine line and kiss everyone’s ass.

I liked Flores. I think he could’ve had a TJ Jones type career at ND.
I wouldn't have kept him

Becuase

1. The production the last 2 years just wasnt there

2. Reports saying mant WRs had a problem with his coaching and his treatment of players

Is unfortunate because he's a great recruiter

Reactions: IrishMike409
Loved CT, cost us L’ville and Clemson.

Tobias who? James who? You had some of the worst players and you can’t make the field. Ahhhh no.

Greathouse looks great pre-injury and so does Faison. Kolzie showed pre-injury.

Like to see Rico stay but honestly he didn’t compete for balls.

MF wants to build a championship team. What we got outside of Faison ain’t it. So let’s get a coach and get Cam and a few others and show out.

If this is what makes your quit in life, not an ND standard. Good luck. Good bye.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT