ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Title Games

Holycrossover3

Rockne's Water Boy
Gold Member
Sep 11, 2012
I realize these games don’t apply to ND but most of us are college football fans so maybe this will peak your interest.

I have the opinion that college football needs to get rid of conference title games, and the conference winner should simply be the regular season winner.

If Oregon goes 12-0, why should Ohio State get a chance at the conference title at 11-1? Why diminish the game that was already played on the field?

Texas A&M could be 10-1 going into their final game vs Texas, even if they lose the game, they could play Texas again in the conference title.

It’s interesting to think if they don’t make the title game, they’re probably in the playoff at 10-2. But if they do make it, are they in at 10-3? Does playing in the conference title game hurt their chances at making the playoff?

It’s interesting to think if they don’t make the title game, they’re probably in the playoff at 10-2. But if they do make it, are they in at 10-3? Does playing in the conference title game hurt their chances at making the playoff?

Seems this should be a reason that no more 1 team from a conference should make playoffs. The SEC and Big10 arguing for 4 teams just makes the playoff extremely less interesting to me. Will get to the situation where any team beating a playoff-likely team at any time during the season will claim to be champions.

Reactions: irishalice
I agree that the title games are mostly irrelevant. However, there are so many teams in a conference now that it seems difficult to find the champion without a championship game. Some years would be fine without the game but other years you would have two teams splitting without ever having faced each other. Lame.

Playoffs should be 8 teams at most IMO. Four conference title winners and four at large spots. Seems fair enough….but money.

Reactions: wi_hoosier
Seems this should be a reason that no more 1 team from a conference should make playoffs. The SEC and Big10 arguing for 4 teams just makes the playoff extremely less interesting to me. Will get to the situation where any team beating a playoff-likely team at any time during the season will claim to be champions.
I’m ok with more than 1 conference team making the playoff just because the conferences are far from “even” in terms of playing fields. There’s just too much variance in college football scheduling.

Nobody wants a 4 team playoff with 50% of the games being massive blowouts. Also, 11-2 conference title BYU probably shouldn’t be considered a top 4 team over let’s say, 11-1 Georgia, for example.

I agree that the title games are mostly irrelevant. However, there are so many teams in a conference now that it seems difficult to find the champion without a championship game. Some years would be fine without the game but other years you would have two teams splitting without ever having faced each other. Lame.

Playoffs should be 8 teams at most IMO. Four conference title winners and four at large spots. Seems fair enough….but money.
You do bring up a good point. If there are two teams that don’t play eachother and both somehow end up 12-0, that does leave an issue. I guess the only question is, how often does that happen?

You do bring up a good point. If there are two teams that don’t play eachother and both somehow end up 12-0, that does leave an issue. I guess the only question is, how often does that happen?
I was thinking more along the lines of 9-0, 8-1, 7-1 (conference records). Plus some teams might play a weaker conference schedule and now you’re rewarding that team for having a better record if they happened to miss out on the best teams. Or they split.

2019 Oregon and Utah went 8-1 in conference. That’s the only conference I looked at.

I realize these games don’t apply to ND but most of us are college football fans so maybe this will peak your interest.

I have the opinion that college football needs to get rid of conference title games, and the conference winner should simply be the regular season winner.

If Oregon goes 12-0, why should Ohio State get a chance at the conference title at 11-1? Why diminish the game that was already played on the field?

Texas A&M could be 10-1 going into their final game vs Texas, even if they lose the game, they could play Texas again in the conference title.

Unbalanced schedules. You don't play every team so one team going undefeated doesn't mean they are best in conference

Because conference championships are on a neutral field… you don’t think playing in Oregon has an impact?

Under the current situation, it is possible that Oregon and the Ohio State play each other three times in the year (regular season, CCG and CFP game). Even worse, Texas and TAMU could play each other three times in less than a month. CCGs for the BIG and SEC will lose their luster under the current system.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT