ADVERTISEMENT

Clausen vs Buchner

I don’t know that he’s elite or elite talented, if he was either at this point he’d be competing for PT. His regression throwing the ball is disappointing. Hope he gets it back.
I guess the potential is there. But it will take some good coaching and it's a project. But is our coaching staff up to the challenge is the question. I mean Ian's numbers went down every year he was here. That's worrisome!

Sorry man, but you're wrong. Clausen was a nightmare in every respect. I know you want the moral high ground as a fan but you don't get it until you put JC in his rightful place which is well, well below either BQ or certainly Ian Book. Even with me taking liberties speaking about Clausen in the way that I have in this thread, which is largely born out of frustration with all the shit that a clearly, demonstrably superior QB like Ian Book has to take from the peanut gallery.

And to repeat one last time, that JC is so unappealing, let's just put it that way, let alone quite undeserving of the fulsome credit he gets strictly as a player and a talent, it's almost hard to conceive of any other fan not feeling the same way I do. But alas that is not the case as JC continues to be treated like a demigod among ND fans.

So if you want to go ahead and bend the knee as they say these days, then maybe we can compromise. Because Clausen is a joke, a bad joke in the history of ND football. A punch line... he's the opposite of someone you would ever put on a pedestal, or even feel any affection for, on the basis of every characteristic in the book. From soup to nuts. There is literally almost nothing about the JC story that isn't deeply regrettable - except that it finally ended after three terrible years. And that's essentially a factual statement, not mere opinion.

As far as your corny rhetorical question of Why is that..... Because Clausen is a nightmare! That's why he comes in for such singular scorn. I've been counting the ways, shall I keep counting them? That's my rhetorical question to you....
Funny, career stats are pretty close between the two even with Ian having the luxury of having some of the best OLines in the country and another year when JC was running for his life most of the time with the terrible OL recruitment under Willingham. Compare the thr Pro day between JC and Ian. JC way better! JC got drafted pretty high in the NFL. Something Ian will be lucky to do but I'm guessing will not. Now please stop these stupid comparisons forcing others to seem like they are trashing Book.

Reactions: Chest Brockwell
Funny, career stats are pretty close between the two even with Ian having the luxury of having some of the best OLines in the country and another year when JC was running for his life most of the time with the terrible OL recruitment under Willingham. Compare the thr Pro day between JC and Ian. JC way better! JC got drafted pretty high in the NFL. Something Ian will be lucky to do but I'm guessing will not. Now please stop these stupid comparisons forcing others to seem like they are trashing Book.
For sure! I'll get right on that....

Hmm? You still talking? You going to pop open the bubbly and take a victory lap when he doesn't?
No I hope does. See this is your thing. You're so obsessed with Ian you sit there touting him like he's the next Joe Montana so when fans try to bring you I to reality you accuse them of hating on him. He was a good qb and had a good career at ND. He was a top 20 qb in his class. Hopefully he'll hook up with team as a solid back up. Now let it go. Book is gone and don't let Jimmy haunt your dreams lol

Reactions: Golson5
No I hope does. See this is your thing. You're so obsessed with Ian you sit there touting him like he's the next Joe Montana so when fans try to bring you I to reality you accuse them of hating on him. He was a good qb and had a good career at ND. He was a top 20 qb in his class. Hopefully he'll hook up with team as a solid back up. Now let it go. Book is gone and don't let Jimmy haunt your dreams lol
He can't comprehend this thinking

Reactions: irish4life9999
So all this talking, or trashing, of JC got me to think how accurate was JC. Well watch his pro day. It was pretty impressive. His deep balls were pretty darn good also.

I guess a little bit. At this point I can't deny that. But you addressed me. It's the only reason we're talking. Same as that other dude. And the continued fawning over JC is incredible to me. You'd think he'd be a name every last ND fan would want to forget, but the exact opposite is true. He's brought up and either pined for outright, or more often mentioned in the context of how much better off we'd be if we had him right now....

In any case, you telling me to 'let it go' is not the way to my heart. Not exactly buttering me up. Even if you are saying all the right things in this post I'm responding to now.

So I think we're done here.

So all this talking, or trashing, of JC got me to think how accurate was JC. Well watch his pro day. It was pretty impressive. His deep balls were pretty darn good also.
And one last thought. I don't think fans like you even give a shit about Jimmy Clausen, quite honestly. Like I said, the dude's a punch line. Universally. Otherwise intelligent ND fans aren't somehow immune to understanding that.

But you nevertheless take the opportunity to weaponize him, so to speak. Kind of like you're doing in this post I'm responding to. And that's what's annoying....

Clausen was one of the most accurate CFB QB's I've seen. Sadly, he played under Weis and the program itself was a disaster. JC was a really fantastic CFB QB and was so polished when he got to ND.

As far as an NFL career... I think JC probably didn't have that 'fire in the belly' because he came from a fairly wealthy family and he had a degree from ND.

And one last thought. I don't think fans like you even give a shit about Jimmy Clausen, quite honestly. Like I said, the dude's a punch line. Universally. Otherwise intelligent ND fans aren't somehow immune to understanding that.

But you nevertheless take the opportunity to weaponize him, so to speak. Kind of like you're doing in this post I'm responding to. And that's what's annoying....
Actually I met JC on his very first spring game. It was actually a very warm day. While all the other players left he sat for at least an extra hour till evey kid got something signed including mine. For whatever reason JC has got your panties in a bunch. He was an awsome qb for ND and a nice young man. Ten times the qb Ian was.

Reactions: Java65
I guess a little bit. At this point I can't deny that. But you addressed me. It's the only reason we're talking. Same as that other dude. And the continued fawning over JC is incredible to me. You'd think he'd be a name every last ND fan would want to forget, but the exact opposite is true. He's brought up and either pined for outright, or more often mentioned in the context of how much better off we'd be if we had him right now....

In any case, you telling me to 'let it go' is not the way to my heart. Not exactly buttering me up. Even if you are saying all the right things in this post I'm responding to now.

So I think we're done here.
You being done lol. You're never done. Your ocd for Book and your hatred for Clausen are just weird.

I don't think a lot of freshman quarterbacks could play on that 2007 team and come away with their confidence intact.
Yea that season was horrendous and JC got just abused that season. To his credit though JC bounced back and improved a lot the next 2 seasons.

Weis did some good things for the program that he doesn't get credit for but I think it was pretty clear that season he was in over his head.

You being done lol. You're never done. Your ocd for Book and your hatred for Clausen are just weird.
I'm not worried about that at all. My conscience is quite clear on that score. The truth is it's the haters that are never done. Because that shit is IN-exorable. I guess maybe you think you're turning the tables on me or something like that. Whatever, have it your way.

Bottom line Ian Book>>>Jimmy Clausen. And that'll never change.

I guess you could say I'm in love with ND football these days. And all the typical, petty, toxic-fan crap that comes with the territory is especially galling. That's a fair way to put it.

I don't think a lot of freshman quarterbacks could play on that 2007 team and come away with their confidence intact.
In all seriousness, since we're talking about JC... It's Clausen the martyr, and the fact that we had just gone to back-to-back BCS bowls with BQ at QB and with Weis as our coach, is all just methodically explained away. And Clausen is held above the fray by his multitudinous apologists, and everything and everyone else is made out to be the villain of the piece....

I guess what I don't understand nor apparently am able to come to grips with is why.... Why this desire to frame things in such a farfetched, Occam's razor-defying way? What is it about this overrated, supremely unappealing buster that still has such power over so many ND fans?

I will say that much about Weis, who looked to be on track to become another great coach at ND. He dug his own grave by so ineptly and foolishly putting the future of the program and his own coaching career in JC's hands....

From reading this whole thread, it appears that the only portion of the fan base that Clausen poisoned is you. No one else has much of a problem with him. Certainly there have been other guys from ND who left for the NFL early and clearly others who have embarrassed and/or disgraced the University. Nonetheless, Clausen seems to be the singular focus of your ire. Why is that?
Needs to improve throwing significantly to be what ND needs

Actually I met JC on his very first spring game. It was actually a very warm day. While all the other players left he sat for at least an extra hour till evey kid got something signed including mine. For whatever reason JC has got your panties in a bunch. He was an awsome qb for ND and a nice young man. Ten times the qb Ian was.
This is what I'm talking about. I didn't even see this post. But it's a humdinger!

I guess some ND fans just like losing....

I will say that much about Weis, who looked to be on track to become another great coach at ND. He dug his own grave by so ineptly and foolishly putting the future of the program and his own coaching career in JC's hands....

Weis' downfall had more to with making Tenuta and Brown co-defensive coordinators. Between their ineptitude and a lack of talent on D that team was screwed.

Weis' downfall had more to with making Tenuta and Brown co-defensive coordinators. Between their ineptitude and a lack of talent on D that team was screwed.
I don't know, man.... I'm not convinced. Not saying it's ALL JC's fault, quite naturally, but come on.... I can't imagine any other disinterested CFB fan in the universe would agree with that even a little. Not too many at least.

It doesn't explain the 'why' of it, but I guess that's all anyone's ever going to get. For reasons inexplicable, Jimmy Clausen, the Lebron James of CFB, will always hold a tortured, untouchable place in many a ND fan's heart, and I'm not sure it would even be possible for him to ever be dislodged from his lofty, almost weirdly mythical status. Ian Book sure as hell ain't gonna do it.

This guy right here....

jimmy-clausen-notre-dame.jpg

Sorry man, but you're wrong. Clausen was a nightmare in every respect. I know you want the moral high ground as a fan but you don't get it until you put JC in his rightful place which is well, well below either BQ or certainly Ian Book. Even with me taking liberties speaking about Clausen in the way that I have in this thread, which is largely born out of frustration with all the shit that a clearly, demonstrably superior QB like Ian Book has to take from the peanut gallery.

And to repeat one last time, that JC is so unappealing, let's just put it that way, let alone quite undeserving of the fulsome credit he gets strictly as a player and a talent, it's almost hard to conceive of any other fan not feeling the same way I do. But alas that is not the case as JC continues to be treated like a demigod among ND fans.

So if you want to go ahead and bend the knee as they say these days, then maybe we can compromise. Because Clausen is a joke, a bad joke in the history of ND football. A punch line... he's the opposite of someone you would ever put on a pedestal, or even feel any affection for, on the basis of every characteristic in the book. From soup to nuts. There is literally almost nothing about the JC story that isn't deeply regrettable - except that it finally ended after three terrible years. And that's essentially a factual statement, not mere opinion.

As far as your corny rhetorical question of Why is that..... Because Clausen is a nightmare! That's why he comes in for such singular scorn. I've been counting the ways, shall I keep counting them? That's my rhetorical question to you....

The guys been gone for 10 years; give it a rest. He was a pretty good QB for the Irish; I don't have enough expertise to rank him above or below BQ and Book; all three were ND QBs and none of them won a Natty. In the grand scheme of things, what does it matter if he was better or worse than BQ and Book. Who, other than you, cares?

I don't know, man.... I'm not convinced. Not saying it's ALL JC's fault, quite naturally, but come on.... I can't imagine any other disinterested CFB fan in the universe would agree with that even a little. Not too many at least.

It doesn't explain the 'why' of it, but I guess that's all anyone's ever going to get. For reasons inexplicable, Jimmy Clausen, the Lebron James of CFB, will always hold a tortured, untouchable place in many a ND fan's heart, and I'm not sure it would even be possible for him to ever be dislodged from his lofty, almost weirdly mythical status. Ian Book sure as hell ain't gonna do it.

This guy right here....

jimmy-clausen-notre-dame.jpg
I'm sorry he turned you down. Get over it

Reactions: Irish Duck
I'll keep saying it everytime he acts like one
Funny how you rarely agree with anyone on this board. All you do is disagree with just about everyone and you love to think you are the smartest person here. Guess what you are not.

Weis did some good things for the program that he doesn't get credit for but I think it was pretty clear that season he was in over his head.
Weis did far more damage to the program then good. Brady Quin and co baled his sorry ass out.

Weis didn’t give a flip about recruiting or coaching defense. He thought he could “out scheme” the opponent. He was Golson5 before there was a Golson5.

Funny how you rarely agree with anyone on this board. All you do is disagree with just about everyone and you love to think you are the smartest person here. Guess what you are not.
No. It's mostly just a few people who have no clue. Like him and yourself. 2 really good examples

Weis didn’t give a flip about recruiting or coaching defense. He thought he could “out scheme” the opponent. He was Golson5 before there was a Golson5.
Weis did bring up the level of recruiting. At least Kelly was not starting with bare cabinets like Weis was. Willingham was a horrible recruiter.

Other then Teo, Weis didn't do a whole hell of a lot on defense.
He did bring in three top 10 classes but yes agreed his defenses sucked. Weis signed only six DE's and five CB's in his 5 years. No excuse for that! Weis had no experience in defense and did not bring in good staff to handle it.

Other then Teo, Weis didn't do a whole hell of a lot on defense.
He landed some really good players on D. Future all pros like Harrison Smith and other nfl players. But not nearly enough and player development and coaching on D was embarrassing

Anyone who criticizes Clausen really shouldn’t post that.
Here was Clausen- great talent had superior coaching and played on great high school teams. Came to ND with the hype- (rings etc)

Shows up as a freshman really still built like a boy- gets his ass handed to him in games like Brady Quinn did. Took a beating.
Obviously, puts a ton of work in physically.
Clausen wasn’t an all around athlete. He wasn’t scoring 20 a game in hoops or All-State shortstop. He was a kid that had it all in football. Private coaching. Etc.
Sophomore year- bowl game vs Hawaii.
it all clicks in. Had a monster game.

Junior year- ridiculous 2009- guy was throwing seeds all over the field. Carried the team on his back. I was at the Washington game in the pouring freezing rain. He’s limping all over the field. Willing the team to victory. In all honesty, I put my knowledge from 1987- on- up against anyone. I’ve never seen a more gutty performance.
Clausen put the work in and was the best he could be. Period.

Buchner is a very good looking athlete. Probably was good at other sports too. Etc etc. I love that in a QB especially if they are great at baseball.
Shortstop, (catcher- Ton Brady) Pitcher.
Montana- All state- 3 sports.

I’d love if Buchner was an inch or two taller. At this point, don’t mess with his head with technique like Wimbush.
He has to be accurate- no questions about that. I wasn’t thrilled with tape at one of the camps but he seems to be throwing well this spring.
Just have him ball out. Hoping he doesn’t get killed running too much.

Reactions: Irish Duck
Weis did far more damage to the program then good. Brady Quin and co baled his sorry ass out.
Just not true at all.... bob davie and ty did nothing good. Weis wasn’t a good HC, but he got admin to make critical changes paving way for a good coach to have success.

Reactions: john0gaunt
Gotta love the posters that rip into a player unmercifully like saying “clausen was 10 times the qb” that book was, but then say “I hope he gets drafted”. Yeah, sure you do. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT