ADVERTISEMENT

Clausen vs Buchner

That's the stuff right there. That's exactly what i'm talking about. Jimmy Clausen the martyr. Poor, poor Jimmy Clausen.....

And of course JC splits town once his protector was gone. But it was for the best. Wipe the slate clean....

I didn't say Jimmy died for our sins. There has to be a dial or slider somewhere to adjust your outrage meter.

The nerve - a three year starter leaves after a statistically really good year with a new coach coming in and Golden Tate also declaring for the draft.

The OP states Buchner as highest level recruit since Jimmy. But Dayne C was very highly recruited, more than Buchner. Also, Gunner Kiel was highly recruited.

So, those dissatisfied with Jimmy can remember the totality of the BK era, not just chosen bits to support their theory..

the offensive talent on that team was excellent. Clausen was coming into his own during his junior year. It is true , he wasn't that mobile. But he was a very accurate passer and I think he was really becoming a leader. The struggles were on defense. Weis never had a good defense during his tenure. That is the main reason they lost as many games as they did. Offensively, during that time, they recruited pretty well. Defensively, they didn't recruit as well. Plus, i'm not sure how good player development was during the Weis era. I would have liked to see Clausen play his senior year at ND. Even though it would have been under Kelly, I can't help to wonder if he would have excelled. One thing that did hurt Clausen is how he handled his recruitment. Announcing his pledge to ND the way he did turned a lot of people off. Fans were expecting Peyton Manning type player. He never did reach that level. Look at a guy like Book. He was basically an afterthought. He was recruited as a stop gap, a back up. Yet when he got his opportunity, he made the most of it and excelled in doing so. Two completely different QBs. One who was highly recruited and the other was barely known. Kind of makes you wonder.

Reactions: Kelso86
I didn't say Jimmy died for our sins. There has to be a dial or slider somewhere to adjust your outrage meter.

The nerve - a three year starter leaves after a statistically really good year with a new coach coming in and Golden Tate also declaring for the draft.
Whatever, it was his funeral. He went to the NFL - early and less prepared than he could have been - and he was a bust there too. So naturally he blundered yet again, and he didn't have anywhere near the tools, talent or equipment to write his own ticket like he seemed to think he was just going to be able to do. Probably because he was still under laboring under the delusion of his HS days.

But this impulse to run to his defense, when he all did was bring ND football down.... that's what gets me. He was like the worst thing that ever happened to ND football - demonstrably! - other than the fact that it ultimately led to BK. That's not much of legacy. That your presence at a football program was so catastrophic that it brought down a heretofore successful BCS-bowl-playing-in coaching regime, and led to a the firing of a coach who was clearly his benefactor and the program's swift and precipitous decline coincided precisely with JC's arrival on the scene. Step for step....

And all the red flags and warning signs were there and just kept building, to say nothing of the fact of who would ever want this ugly, goofy-looking vulgar rich-kid dork on their team anyway. He was almost like a villain from an 80s teen movie and he was supposed to be the face of ND football!

So that was a genuinely regrettable three-year stretch in the ND annals with JC at its epicenter. And that late season swoon in '09 that precipitated Weis' demise was a boon bestowed by the football gods...

Whatever, it was his funeral. He went to the NFL - early and less prepared than he could have been - and he was a bust there too. So naturally he blundered yet again, and he didn't have anywhere near the tools, talent or equipment to write his own ticket like he seemed to think he was just going to be able to do. Probably because he was still under laboring under the delusion of his HS days.

But this impulse to run to his defense, when he all did was bring ND football down.... that's what gets me. He was like the worst thing that ever happened to ND football - demonstrably! - other than the fact that it ultimately led to BK. That's not much of legacy. That your presence at a football program was so catastrophic that it brought down a heretofore successful BCS-bowl-playing-in coaching regime, and led to a the firing of a coach who was clearly his benefactor and the program's swift and precipitous decline coincided precisely with JC's arrival on the scene. Step for step....

And all the red flags and warning signs were there and just kept building, to say nothing of the fact of who would ever want this ugly, goofy-looking vulgar rich-kid dork on their team anyway. He was almost like a villain from an 80s teen movie and he was supposed to be the face of ND football!

So that was a genuinely regrettable three-year stretch in the ND annals with JC at its epicenter. And that late season swoon in '09 that precipitated Weis' demise was a boon bestowed by the football gods...
What a tool

Reactions: Chest Brockwell
What a tool
You know that I ignored you, right? I'm sure you saw where I announced that to the board. And I really did put you on ignore but it's not working and I could still see your post, the one I'm responding to right now. It was a real humdinger too. Another terse, dare I say pithy little burst of cutting commentary. Enlightening, stimulating, satisfying. What a tool....

Clausen has done such a disservice to ND football, that he's poisoned the fanbase as well, in addition to the now-repaired damage he did to the actual program. Because you guys actually lose meaningful credibility. If I ever doubt my opinions on some subject that's being argued and bandied about, maybe I don't really know what I'm talking about, I only need remember that my opponents are in the regular habit of defending Jimmy Clausen... and so what does it even matter? Just say whatever you want to say, they obviously don't give a shit....

And not simply defending his record, but actually yearning for him.... Yikes!!!

You know that I ignored you, right? I'm sure you saw where I announced that to the board. And I really did put you on ignore but it's not working and I could still see your post, the one I'm responding to right now. It was a real humdinger too. Another terse, dare I say pithy little burst of cutting commentary. Enlightening, stimulating, satisfying. What a tool....

Clausen has done such a disservice to ND football, that he's poisoned the fanbase as well, in addition to the now-repaired damage he did to the actual program. Because you guys actually lose meaningful credibility. If I ever doubt my opinions on some subject that's being argued and bandied about, maybe I don't really know what I'm talking about, I only need remember that my opponents are in the regular habit of defending Jimmy Clausen... and so what does it even matter? Just say whatever you want to say, they obviously don't give a shit....

What a tool

Reactions: Chest Brockwell
On this team with this talent around him? If Buechner is 90% of Jimmy, he’s gonna be a good one.

But he’s only played limited HS in much lesser league than Jimmy, so he has done nothing to earn this comparison...

This right here. 2017-2018 ND had the talent to play with almost anyone at every postion except QB. Book was a great guy, and a solid leader, but he was elevated by the talent around him, while Clausen could have done a lot more if the teams he played on didn't have glaring holes.

The OP states Buchner as highest level recruit since Jimmy. But Dayne C was very highly recruited, more than Buchner. Also, Gunner Kiel was highly recruited.

So, those dissatisfied with Jimmy can remember the totality of the BK era, not just chosen bits to support their theory..
Kizer might be the most underrated in BK era. Way outperformed anything Crist or Kiel ever could have. QB is such a shit show with recruiting. They should cut the number of 5 stars in half at least. Most end up terrible college players.
The best qb under Brian Kelly was a maybe 6’ 3 star that Kelly himself probably never would’ve recruited if it weren’t for Sanford.

Kizer might be the most underrated in BK era. Way outperformed anything Crist or Kiel ever could have. QB is such a shit show with recruiting. They should cut the number of 5 stars in half at least. Most end up terrible college players.
The best qb under Brian Kelly was a maybe 6’ 3 star that Kelly himself probably never would’ve recruited if it weren’t for Sanford.

Dayne was the most highly rated at the QB position of the BK era. Maybe the ONLY 5 star recruit at QB position. Jimmy was the previous 5 star at QB. Kizer was NOT highly recruited and not 5 star. My point being BK needs to get more highly recruited 5 star and if possible #1 overall picks at QB position ( Jimmy). He does not need more servicable 3 stars that win 6 games and get lucky in the draft.

But that’s me.

Dayne was the most highly rated at the QB position of the BK era. Maybe the ONLY 5 star recruit at QB position. Jimmy was the previous 5 star at QB. Kizer was NOT highly recruited and not 5 star. My point being BK needs to get more highly recruited 5 star and if possible #1 overall picks at QB position ( Jimmy). He does not need more servicable 3 stars that win 6 games and get lucky in the draft.

But that’s me.
Kizer was a 4 star and wasn't jimmy or Dayne highly recruited, but he had a darn good offer list.

Kizer was a 4 star and wasn't jimmy or Dayne highly recruited, but he had a darn good offer list.
When you get to the finals you’re gonna face a 5 star top 5 overall at QB. Often they will be generational talents. You better bring one.

You’re a smart guy, maybe top 3 on board. You gotta have figured it out by now. Clemson had 2 ..

When you get to the finals you’re gonna face a 5 star top 5 overall at QB. Often they will be generational talents. You better bring one.

You’re a smart guy, maybe top 3 on board. You gotta have figured it out by now. Clemson had 2 ..
I agree we need to recruit the qb position better but...

Mac Jones and Joe Burrow weren't 5 stars.

Now they have more talent surrounding them. So we do need an elite QB to win a NC

I'm not disagreeing, but i'm just pointing out Kizer wasn't a 3 star that maybe just a few power 5 schools were interested in.

QB play overall (Recruiting, development, etc) is the biggest gap between ND and the top 3 teams.

But that’s me.
If we get a 5, we get one that is low 5. We never secure the top kid, besides JC. Being that we have been in the playoffs twice and our 2012 season, it seems ND is due for a #1 overall players, or at least a top 5. We are clearly outperforming our recruiting rankings, which is all credited to coaching.

I'm not disagreeing, but i'm just pointing out Kizer wasn't a 3 star that maybe just a few power 5 schools were interested in.

QB play overall (Recruiting, development, etc) is the biggest gap between ND and the top 3 teams.
I disagree on the development. I agree on the recruiting. We rank between 10-20 most years in recruiting, yet we finish top 5 or above 10-20 every season. That's the very definition of development, evidenced success on the field.

Clausen was the man! Would love to seem him on a BK team.
Well, Jimmy could have but decided it better to leave early and that was a big mistake really, but I don't blame him as he was part of the complete shit show that Fat Chuck put together so why risk the unknown with BK.....

Reactions: nemeth#5
I disagree on the development. I agree on the recruiting. We rank between 10-20 most years in recruiting, yet we finish top 5 or above 10-20 every season. That's the very definition of development, evidenced success on the field.
Under Kelly we've finished by year....... unranked, unranked, 4th, 20th,unkranked, 11th, unranked, 11th, 5th, 12th, 5th

So even if you put the unranked to 26th place that puts us at an average of 16th place. Worse than our average recruiting ranking by year.

Yes we've made it to the NC and 2 playoffs, and yes I think Kelly and staff do a good job coaching, recruiting and developing most positions, just not QB.

Buchner more upside but huge holes/risks. Clausen was a sure thing from day 1. knew how to play football, good arm, insane accurate, could work within pocket. Just was sooooooo slow, and lacked elite arm and size.

I'm concerned about buchners throwing motion/accuracy. But he is more athletic, stronger, similar size.
How would you ever know? It's impossible to know right now. Buchner has hardly played any football in the last three years. Buchner will benefit from an OLine, something Jimmy never really had but still had some impressive college numbers. Let's see Buchner play at least one college game, assuming he does before we start this comparison.

How would you ever know? It's impossible to know right now. Buchner has hardly played any football in the last three years. Buchner will benefit from an OLine, something Jimmy never really had but still had some impressive college numbers. Let's see Buchner play at least one college game, assuming he does before we start this comparison.
When you struggle throwing in 7 on 7 drills that doesn't bode well. Same thing happened to Wimbush but he at least had insane elite athleticism and running abilities for QB, it happened with Phil, and he still struggles with easy throws, and tyler last year looked bad at times in camps.

Yes he's young and he hopefully has made improvements. But he doesn't look as natural as Pyne, Coan, or Book throwing the ball. Hope i'm wrong, a lot riding on him since we don't have anyone in the pipeline with anywhere near the talent of him.

When you struggle throwing in 7 on 7 drills that doesn't bode well. Same thing happened to Wimbush but he at least had insane elite athleticism and running abilities for QB, it happened with Phil, and he still struggles with easy throws, and tyler last year looked bad at times in camps.

Yes he's young and he hopefully has made improvements. But he doesn't look as natural as Pyne, Coan, or Book throwing the ball. Hope i'm wrong, a lot riding on him since we don't have anyone in the pipeline with anywhere near the talent of him.
No, I cannot disagree with you there. He looked pretty bad in the elite 8. (almost as bad as Ian's long ball on Pro Day). What where the heck did he pick up that sidearm throw? But time will tell. At this point, I still do not believe we have an elite QB that can take us to the promised land. Our offense has been regressing the last two years. Too bad we slow-played Ty Simpson that had a genuine interest in ND, but we only got him an offer a few weeks before signing day.

Buchner is a big time athlete

Buchner is a big time athlete
I think he could be. It's really hard to tell since we really don't have much on him other than one year of HS against sub-par competition, and the elite 8 that well....was not so good. I think it will be a couple of years to see what we really have. He's got a big learning curve between not playing (no fault of his own), and what appears to look like getting some really bad training on his mechanics.

I think he could be. It's really hard to tell since we really don't have much on him other than one year of HS against sub-par competition, and the elite 8 that well....was not so good. I think it will be a couple of years to see what we really have. He's got a big learning curve between not playing (no fault of his own), and what appears to look like getting some really bad training on his mechanics.
You could tell if someone is an athlete just by watching a few clips. And he is one. Now we'll see how he performs at QB, that's another question

Big test for Rees, can we finally develop an elite QB? It sure would be nice!
I don’t know that he’s elite or elite talented, if he was either at this point he’d be competing for PT. His regression throwing the ball is disappointing. Hope he gets it back.

Who had more upside? Who had more talent? I know Clausen was #1 overall, but he was kind of a bust as far as his pro career and he certainly was not the best quarterback in the class that year. A guy like Patrick Mahomes can be low ranked and end up the greatest by far in his class. Anyone with knowledge of the two have any thoughts on their respective upsides and the major differences between them? It seemed Clausen had a monster arm and incredible accuracy. But there was something off in his game that kept him from excelling.
IMO Clausen was a lot like Jeff George. Million dollar arm, 10 cent head.

Jeff George had a rocket right arm. Clausen was accurate and not an elite arm. Mentally, Clausen was fine
Clausen's family had seats in my section his 3 years. Absolute assholes, rude entitled family.

What does that have to do with him? If we were all judged by our parents, that would be silly
We’re talking about his play on field. Mentally sharp football player. Clearly some 16-23 year old cockiness issues without being able to completely back it up.

We’re talking about his play on field. Mentally sharp football player. Clearly some 16-23 year old cockiness issues without being able to completely back it up.
I was talking about his play on the field. Someone brought up his family

I think in between book and wimbush
That’s plenty of athlete. His problem is the good teams will have QB’s with 3-4 YEARS of high level football experience. Highest level. If he isn’t in competition now he won’t be in it barring injury. That’s a tough road for Tyler. Gone be Pyne starting with Coan getting lots of time.
Whoever starts this year will start next year. Unless Kelly lands the 5 star he’s after.

From reading this whole thread, it appears that the only portion of the fan base that Clausen poisoned is you. No one else has much of a problem with him. Certainly there have been other guys from ND who left for the NFL early and clearly others who have embarrassed and/or disgraced the University. Nonetheless, Clausen seems to be the singular focus of your ire. Why is that?

Reactions: Golson5
From reading this whole thread, it appears that the only portion of the fan base that Clausen poisoned is you. No one else has much of a problem with him. Certainly there have been other guys from ND who left for the NFL early and clearly others who have embarrassed and/or disgraced the University. Nonetheless, Clausen seems to be the singular focus of your ire. Why is that?
Sorry man, but you're wrong. Clausen was a nightmare in every respect. I know you want the moral high ground as a fan but you don't get it until you put JC in his rightful place which is well, well below either BQ or certainly Ian Book. Even with me taking liberties speaking about Clausen in the way that I have in this thread, which is largely born out of frustration with all the shit that a clearly, demonstrably superior QB like Ian Book has to take from the peanut gallery.

And to repeat one last time, that JC is so unappealing, let's just put it that way, let alone quite undeserving of the fulsome credit he gets strictly as a player and a talent, it's almost hard to conceive of any other fan not feeling the same way I do. But alas that is not the case as JC continues to be treated like a demigod among ND fans.

So if you want to go ahead and bend the knee as they say these days, then maybe we can compromise. Because Clausen is a joke, a bad joke in the history of ND football. A punch line... he's the opposite of someone you would ever put on a pedestal, or even feel any affection for, on the basis of every characteristic in the book. From soup to nuts. There is literally almost nothing about the JC story that isn't deeply regrettable - except that it finally ended after three terrible years. And that's essentially a factual statement, not mere opinion.

As far as your corny rhetorical question of Why is that..... Because Clausen is a nightmare! That's why he comes in for such singular scorn. I've been counting the ways, shall I keep counting them? That's my rhetorical question to you....

Sorry man, but you're wrong. Clausen was a nightmare in every respect. I know you want the moral high ground as a fan but you don't get it until you put JC in his rightful place which is well, well below either BQ or certainly Ian Book. Even with me taking liberties speaking about Clausen in the way that I have in this thread, which is largely born out of frustration with all the shit that a clearly, demonstrably superior QB like Ian Book has to take from the peanut gallery.

And to repeat one last time, that JC is so unappealing, let's just put it that way, let alone quite undeserving of the fulsome credit he gets strictly as a player and a talent, it's almost hard to conceive of any other fan not feeling the same way I do. But alas that is not the case as JC continues to be treated like a demigod among ND fans.

So if you want to go ahead and bend the knee as they say these days, then maybe we can compromise. Because Clausen is a joke, a bad joke in the history of ND football. A punch line... he's the opposite of someone you would ever put on a pedestal, or even feel any affection for, on the basis of every characteristic in the book. From soup to nuts. There is literally almost nothing about the JC story that isn't deeply regrettable - except that it finally ended after three terrible years. And that's essentially a factual statement, not mere opinion.

As far as your corny rhetorical question of Why is that..... Because Clausen is a nightmare! That's why he comes in for such singular scorn. I've been counting the ways, shall I keep counting them? That's my rhetorical question to you....
Its clear you are a tool

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT