ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Tyree

Holycrossover3

Irish Guard
Gold Member
Sep 11, 2012
Hitting the transfer portal.

I’m a little torn on how I feel about it. I certainly wanted him back but we do have Faison and I believe Flores should be a slot, so we should be ok for the slot position.

Not to mention Greathouse as well…

Either way, rooting for Tyree next year!

Last edited:
Reactions: Golson5
At least in the NFL they have contracts, you have a rough idea of what your roster will look like, in CFB you have no idea who will and who won’t be around for spring ball.

I’m disappointed he’s leaving but ND should be okay at WR. I wonder if he wants to try to showcase his ability at RB so he can get drafted.

I’m disappointed he’s leaving but ND should be okay at WR. I wonder if he wants to try to showcase his ability at RB so he can get drafted.
Yes.....I think he sees himself more in the Kyren Williams mold. Likely as a third down back in the NFL with the ability to play all three downs. The reality is as a pure RB ND had better options this year and next.

Yes.....I think he sees himself more in the Kyren Williams mold. Likely as a third down back in the NFL with the ability to play all three downs. The reality is as a pure RB ND had better options this year and next.
That’s an interesting thought for sure.

To me, he is not on the same planet as Kyren Williams. He simply doesn’t have the vision or ability to break tackles like Kyren does.

I actually expected him to declare for the draft, go undrafted, and then get picked up as a free agent. Thought his two sideline catches Saturday against Stanford were among the best of his receiving career. Also thought ND should have put him in the slot a year earlier. Hope he realizes his dream!

I wish that he would have stayed, but Jordan Faison and how he flashed this year shows a lot of promise at both receiver and punt returner. We are in good shape at the receiver position. Cam Willams is a beast! Truth be told that is a crowded receiver room. I think that Saldate will surprise a few people. Chris might not be the last to enter the portal.

The program will survive but I'm really disappointed and surprised. Especially if he's not changing positions or going to the draft. I would think staying at ND and doing another year developing as a WR would be his best bet. My guess is he sees his playing time reducing so in that sense it makes sense he's leaving.

The program will survive but I'm really disappointed and surprised. Especially if he's not changing positions or going to the draft. I would think staying at ND and doing another year developing as a WR would be his best bet. My guess is he sees his playing time reducing so in that sense it makes sense he's leaving.
Smart move. I thought he was totally underutilized this year.

Under utilized is not the term. Every week I thought he should get more touches. He might end up at LSU, but would be smart to weight all his options and look for a pass happy offense who just graduated a lot of wide outs.
ND featured Audric this year and right fully so.

Being effectively utilized is more important than over or under utilization. A guy like Tyree can get 4-5 touches a game. But if he is effectively utilized he can create multiple explosive plays that can impact the trajectory of a football game.

To be fair he did not catch everything thrown his way. Dude had a very successful year overall but I remember him having multiple key drops.
Agree. I’m rewatching the Louisville game and he dropped what appeared to be a perfectly thrown fade route that would have been caught on the UL 5 and he probably would have scored. He appeared to misjudge where the ball was coming down. ND settled for a made 53 yard FG attempt.

He also muffed the punt against Clemson and I believe also dropped a screen pass that was well set up.

Louisville is just one game, but in the first 33 or so minutes, he caught a screen pass, a deep slant, he and/or Hartman fumbled the exchange on an end around, and he dropped the fade for a probable TD. I Don’t know if I’d agree that he was underutilized.

I may post some offensive notes from the UL, Clemson, and Duke games. I’d like to take a closer look at what went wrong.

Last edited:
Agree. I’m rewatching the Louisville game and he dropped what appeared to be a perfectly thrown fade route that would have been caught on the UL 5 and he probably would have scored. He appeared to misjudge where the ball was coming down. ND settled for a made 53 yard FG attempt.

He also muffed the punt against Clemson and I believe also dropped a screen pass that was well set up.

Louisville is just one game, but in the first 33 or so minutes, he caught a screen pass, a deep slant, he and/or Hartman fumbled the exchange on an end around, and he dropped the fade for a probable TD. I Don’t know if I’d agree that he was underutilized.

I may post some offensive notes from the UL, Clemson, and Duke games. I’d like to take a closer look at what went wrong.
You guys are correct. He did have some drops. Especially that Louisville game.
I still think he would have been a contributor next season. Jmo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT