ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Sttong

I don't understand how ND was run over by the national media for firing Willingham and nothing is said about Texas handling of Charlie Strong? ND fired his sorry butt because he didn't win and refused to recruit. Strong at least can recruit and run a tight program. Loud mouth Steven A. Smith said that Texas was doing the right thing in firing Strong. He called ND racist so many times after firing Loserham that I lost count. I haven't even mention that loud mouths from First Take either. My second rant of the day!

so Strong gets fired year 3; even though he had a monumental task ahead to rebuild a team that was a dumpster fire but a seventh year head coach who has no major victories and is 4-7 on the way to 4-8 is coming off a contract extension!
And Ty got fired for 6-5

People, this story is waiting to be written!

so Strong gets fired year 3; even though he had a monumental task ahead to rebuild a team that was a dumpster fire but a seventh year head coach who has no major victories and is 4-7 on the way to 4-8 is coming off a contract extension!
And Ty got fired for 6-5

Ty got fired for not recruiting and for talking with Washington behind the scenes. There was no real plan to fire him after the 2004 season until the BOT found out about the Washington dalliance. Even though he deserved it.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
and has BK done likewise previously?
and his name is linked to job openings; do you think LSU came looking for a 4-8 head coach or ?

Charlie Strong will be a head coach somewhere next year, you can bet on it. There will be many very good openings (Houston, Baylor, maybe UCF for example) and he will still be viewed favorably.

and has BK done likewise previously?
and his name is linked to job openings; do you think LSU came looking for a 4-8 head coach or ?
Kelly didn't hide his talking to the Eagles. Ty was having clandestine meetings with Washington when he was supposed to be preparing his ND team to play football. Not comparable situations.

How could Charlie Strong have been fired? I could have swore that upon Texas scoring the winning TD against ND, ESPN's Joe Tessitore yelled out that Texas was back. Yea......no. It wasn't only the media who went negative on ND when TW was justly dismissed, former Irish players also went public, including Rocket, Duerson, Zorich, and Aaron Taylor. The emphasis on "went public" as in "local and national media outlets".

And Ty got fired for 6-5

And also -- ND was known for keeping coaches for 5 years (and this was the 1st time ND cut a coach loose earlier -- hell, even Faust and Davie survived 5 years), regardless...but yea, he deserved it for all the reasons that have been mentioned.

A coach that cant even get his team to a bowl game after several seasons is worthless and should be fired. Learn anything Jack?

Ty got fired for not recruiting and for talking with Washington behind the scenes. There was no real plan to fire him after the 2004 season until the BOT found out about the Washington dalliance. Even though he deserved it.
What, wait a minute. I know nothing about Willingham talking to Washington while at ND. Is that true? Wow that is news to me. Explains a lot I guess.

What, wait a minute. I know nothing about Willingham talking to Washington while at ND. Is that true? Wow that is news to me. Explains a lot I guess.
I learned that through a good friend who was in the recruiting mode with his son in the spring of 2010, and was told the story by a prominent black assistant coach at an ACC school at that time. That guy was big in the BCA and noted that the BCA was not very happy with old Tyrone. They finally had a fellow BCA member in the highest profile job in the country, and he gets himself fired for cause. Think about it, with all the noise out there about the firing, do you remember the BCA saying much of anything about it? This is an organization built to promote black coaches, and the highest ranked one in the country just gets fired, seemingly too quickly and very unfairly, and they say virtually nothing about it?

Evidently Willingham had flown to Sea-tac for a private meeting at the airport with UDub folks, not sure if admin or boosters, then flew back to South Bend. Before he even landed the word had made it back to ND, and he was toast.

I learned that through a good friend who was in the recruiting mode with his son in the spring of 2010, and was told the story by a prominent black assistant coach at an ACC school at that time. That guy was big in the BCA and noted that the BCA was not very happy with old Tyrone. They finally had a fellow BCA member in the highest profile job in the country, and he gets himself fired for cause. Think about it, with all the noise out there about the firing, do you remember the BCA saying much of anything about it? This is an organization built to promote black coaches, and the highest ranked one in the country just gets fired, seemingly too quickly and very unfairly, and they say virtually nothing about it?

Evidently Willingham had flown to Sea-tac for a private meeting at the airport with UDub folks, not sure if admin or boosters, then flew back to South Bend. Before he even landed the word had made it back to ND, and he was toast.

ND did not out Tytanic and they should have.

Several of the Irish that ranted about his firing have been significantly quiet about it since. They were told the real story from what I have heard a couple of years later.

I noticed that Texas gave their running back 51 carries against Kansas. I would think that must be some kind of record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT