ADVERTISEMENT

The Dynasty - Charlie Weis

In 2008 ND had 11 offensive recruits to 12 defensive recruits.

Two guys that didn’t make much of an impact but were highly rated: Dan McCarthy who was the #14 safety according to Rivals and had offers from Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Oklahoma. Steve Filer who was #8 ILB and had offers from Michigan and Ohio State.
Not every recruit is going to pan out.

-Jamoris Slaughter: played a ton and was drafted in the 6th round — good player.
-Robert Blanton started as a freshman, played a ton, and was drafted in the 5th round and played on the gameday roster in the NFL for about four years.
-Darius Fleming was gameday roster NFL for four years.
-Kapron Lewis Moore was a pretty highly rated recruit and hung around the NFL for about 7-8 years.
-Ethan Johnson was a 5 star player and was a good player for ND but not an NFL guy.
-Sean Cwynar was #12 rated DT and contributed a lot as a 3rd and 4th year player but chose to not come back as a 5th year. Roughly as good as Kurt Hinish who has been on the gameday NFL roster for going on three years. He had to compete with Ian Williams who played six years in the NFL and Louis Nix who was drafted in the 3rd round.

There were a couple of DL and LB’s that didn’t do much but that’s going to happen. They still had good recruits on the DL in 2008. ND did well at LB in 2007 with Brian Smith and Kerry Neal and then 2009 with Manti Te’o, Dan Fox and Carlo Calabrese. The 2008 LB’s couldn’t compete with those guys.

So Rudolph and Floyd ended up being the studs but there were still good players on defense.
Weis left a hole on the DL. The team converted an OL to play there and try to stop the run. I believe he was a 1L in law school while playing D1 football. We were 6-6 with @10 one-score games because it was even money whether Clausen-Tate could score enough to compensate. CW may have stuck around a lot longer if he could NIL-no sit out transfer in trained players to plug the gaps he left in recruiting.

Look at what a #2 class looks like (Weis' 2008).

We had 4 guys in the top 40 players -- with two five star talents (Crist was never the same after injury but was as in demand a QB prospect that there was in his class respectively). This was when we still had the #1 QB in the country already starting/on the roster (Clausen).

We had another 7 commits from guys in the top 120 in that cycle.
Umm…how did they perform? Go undefeated? Win a major bowl? Record against top 10? Will hang up and wait

Reactions: bizzybecknd
We aren't discussing how the development turned out, we are discussing the matter of Notre Dame Football's recruiting success and its upside as an organization on the recruiting trail, and discussing why the present regime is failing to live up to it.
No, no …can’t separate as you want to do here. These “great recruits” lost 10 games to MSU, Pitt, UNC, BC, Syracuse, Navy, UConn in 2 years. They were overrated.

This is separate of the point i was making. My argument was about the rarity of these prospects at the time of their signing (how they ultimately developed during their college careers is largely irrelevant to that argument) but i'll play along anyway:

Crist, Blanton, Slaughter, Robinson, Gray, Floyd, Rudolph, McCarthy, Johnson, Fleming, KLM, Cave, Goodman, and Mike Golic Jr. were all starters at one point (that's 14 starters out of 23 prospects all from the very same class!) -- i think all of them were multi year starters except for Crist and Goodman, and several were the best players on NDs 85-man roster at one time or another. Several were team captains, several were top 100 nfl draft picks, several were starters in NDs 2012 BCS-run. This 2008 class might be the most impactful class in the entire 21st century at Notre Dame. I don't think it is mere coincidence that it is also the highest rated class in the 21st century.

Imagine having 4 classes in a row with this kind of talent! We'd be 3-4 deep with starting-caliber players. Half the 85-man roster would be top 100 talent with 8 five-star players on the roster. We'd be firmly in the tier 1 in talent and we would probably be favorites, and ultimately win some games against other tier 1 programs.
One first round pick outta of that group. So your post today is quite contrary to what you have communicated previously. Very few difference makers there

Reactions: bizzybecknd
CW was a Notre Dame graduate
He had a successful career in the NFL
He became the Head Coach at Notre Dame
He was not an outstanding coach, yet he had a positive influence while at Notre Dame

So why all of the vitriol and personal attacks ?

He was and remains a Notre Dame man ! ☘️
Did he have a positive impact on Notre Dame? He robbed ND blind with the contact extension.

Did he have a positive impact on Notre Dame? He robbed ND blind with the contact extension.
You're an idiot. They offered him the contact. Any person, including you, would have signed it

Shut up and grow up. You sound like a child with your tantrums about CW. It's pathetic

Act your age

You're an idiot. They offered him the contact. Any person, including you, would have signed it

Shut up and grow up. You sound like a child with your tantrums about CW. It's pathetic

Act your age
No if you remember there was talk of Weis leaving ND after in season to be a HC in the NFL. Those rumors where started by Weis and his agent to get more money and years out of ND.

You and Pat are the idiots on this board.

Act your age
I’m happy to live rent free in you head though. Thanks.

No if you remember there was talk of Weis leaving ND after in season to be a HC in the NFL. Those rumors where started by Weis and his agent to get more money and years out of ND.

And who offered him the contact ? He didn't force them to do it. Blame the administration if you want to blame someone

You're like a little child. It was 15 years ago. Move on

And who offered him the contact ? He didn't force them to do it. Blame the administration if you want to blame someone

You're like a little child. It was 15 years ago. Move on
You’re an ass. You make Pat look smart.

Charlie Weis didn’t rob Notre Dame.

The administration and the board of trustees gave him the money willingly

Why are you trying to blame Charlie Weis for trying to enhance his family’s well being ?

Reactions: NDinNJ

Since you chose to bring me into the conversation, let me say this, Golson5 and I are exponentially smarter than you.

And it doesn’t matter who started the rumors, there are only 32 teams in the NFL, and that rumor could’ve been fact checked in two seconds.

The administration and the board of trustees gave Charlie that contract, Charlie didn’t force them to do a thing

Get with the program

Reactions: NDinNJ
Your memory is different from mine. Virtually every ND alum I know had had enough of Weis after the 2007 season, when ND finished 3-9. Most were unhappy with the fact that Weis was not fired after the 2008 season. It had become obvious by then that Weis was not the man for the job.
I was a big defender of Weis for several reason as I am sure you remember trying to walk me off the edge lol, but i I clearly couldn't see the forest through the trees at that time

Last edited:
I was a big defender of Weis for several reason as I sure remember trying to walk me off the edge lol, but Iclearly couldn't see the forest through the trees at that time
DIP, WE all got roped in after that USC Bush push game. "We're back". Unfortunately the next year was a sobering smack in the face. Happy St Patricks Day!

DIP, WE all got roped in after that USC Bush push game. "We're back". Unfortunately the next year was a sobering smack in the face. Happy St Patricks Day!
So much promise
HSPD to you and all those Mc's out there

Last edited:
Weis took advantage of the early success he had. Any of us would do the same. The administration made the decision to pay him what they did. This happens all the time. Jimbo Fisher and A&M is the most recent example. Kelly will most likely meet a similar fate at LSU.
Weis offense stretched the field like his waistline!

Of the 4 mistakes at ND (Faust, Davie, Ty and Charlie) Charlie was far and away the worst. He could get offensive skill to ND, but every other aspect of the program was a dumpster fire. His records of 3-9, 6-6, 6-6 would have continued into perpetuity. Probably gotten worse because of his personality.

Charlie was the worst combination of traits. Cocky, an insufferable d-bag and totally incompetent. His only purpose in football should have been to be a valet for Bill Parcells & Bill Belichick. Other than that he was literally more useless than tits on a bull.

Of the 4 mistakes at ND (Faust, Davie, Ty and Charlie) Charlie was far and away the worst. He could get offensive skill to ND, but every other aspect of the program was a dumpster fire. His records of 3-9, 6-6, 6-6 would have continued into perpetuity. Probably gotten worse because of his personality.

Charlie was the worst combination of traits. Cocky, an insufferable d-bag and totally incompetent. His only purpose in football should have been to be a valet for Bill Parcells & Bill Belichick. Other than that he was literally more useless than tits on a bull.
I’ll take Weis over Willingham any day. Weis was an alum, loved the university, and recruited his heart out. Almost had ND in the title game in 2005 and was responsible for a lot the 2012 players. The stage was set for Kelly.

Willingham was sub .500 after one good season and left two bare recruiting classes. Also led Washington to an 0-12 season.

Faust was the worst hire, by far, then Ty, Davie and Weis.

A high school coach ? Insane.

Ty had a worse won loss record than the man who replaced, and it was against in fear of competition.

David had no prior head coaching experience and basically got a job due to Lou

On the surface wife look like a great higher, he had multiple Super Bowl rings as the offensive coordinator for the patriots, that’s a pretty strong résumé, and he was mentored by Belichick.

Last edited:

Perfectly said. Weis was a hot mess. I thought he was a terrible recruiter. Yes he got very good offensive players but he refused to recruit defensive players. And he was arrogant for no reason very overrated.

Perfectly said. Weis was a hot mess. I thought he was a terrible recruiter. Yes he got very good offensive players but he refused to recruit defensive players. And he was arrogant for no reason very overrated.
You're properly rated, dope

Year 3 was a total disaster for CW due to the nonexistent recruiting from Ty. Charlie was not a good coach. I don’t know many ND coaches that lose to Navy.
Hunk Anderson -- 1933
Elmer Layden -- 1934, 1936
Ed McKeever -- 1944
Terry Brennan -- 1956, 1957
Joe Kuharich -- 1960, 1961
Hugh Devore -- 1963
Charlie Weis -- 2007, 2009
Brian Kelly -- 2010, 2016

Hunk Anderson -- 1933
Ed McKeever -- 1944
Hugh Devore -- 1963
👍

Hunk Anderson -- 1933
Ed McKeever -- 1944
Hugh Devore -- 1963
Exactly. Weis has the dubious distinction among some of the worst coaches in ND history. None of them won a national championship and almost all of them were fired.

Exactly. Weis has the dubious distinction among some of the worst coaches in ND history. None of them won a national championship and almost all of them were fired.
So, it’s your position that if you don’t want an actual championship, you’re a failure as a coach ?

It's really a mixed bag.

Layden had a slightly higher winning percentage than both Holtz and Devine, and his 1938 undefeated, #1 ranked team lost the last game of the season to USC. Otherwise, ND would have been #1 that year, hands down.

Same is true of Kelly re a missed NC in the final game of 2012.

On the other hand, coaching flops like Faust, Davie and Willingham never lost to Navy, as strange as that may seem.

Faust was the worst hire, by far, then Ty, Davie and Weis.

A high school coach ? Insane.

Ty had a worse won loss record than the man who replaced, and it was against in fear of competition.

David had no prior head coaching experience and basically got a job due to Lou

On the surface wife look like a great higher, he had multiple Super Bowl rings as the offensive coordinator for the patriots, that’s a pretty strong résumé, and he was mentored by Belichick.
Faust, A great ambassador for the school. A really nice guy but in way over his head. That was still in ND’s wheelhouse where they were the main show on tv. Faust was the worst hire in my lifetime.

He did beat Bo after he proclaimed he wouldn’t lose to a HS coach!
Broken clock right 2x a day & military clock 1x a day. I remember seeing coach Faust climbing the stairs to watch a game in South Bend behind me. As person he’s a great humble guy. I think he felt terrible that ND had fallen mightily under him.

Broken clock right 2x a day & military clock 1x a day. I remember seeing coach Faust climbing the stairs to watch a game in South Bend behind me. As person he’s a great humble guy. I think he felt terrible that ND had fallen mightily under him.
How did he fare at Akron ?

Why the administration chose a high school coach to take over one of the most prestigious programs in the nation is beyond me

Last edited:
How did he fare at Akron ?

Why the administration shows a high school coach to take over one of the most prestigious programs in the nation is beyond me
I have no idea Pat. Yeah , I agree his hiring is definitely a head scratcher. Remember back then, he had all the parade all Americans @ Moeller

I love Faust. He is a great man, fantastic recruiter and a great ambassador to ND. He was a power house high school coach and at the time it seemed natural for him to be a HC at ND. Hugh mistake. In way over his head.

Fat Chuck was in over his head also b

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT